Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 Free Agency Wish List

Ideally I'd go after

Arob
Scherff
Hurst

And either Godwin or next best available OL if enough money is leftover

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-16-2022, 10:06 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Below are some lower profile UDFA guys that can likely be signed on the relatively less expensive side.  These are guys that might start/rotate, but should be strong contributors at minimum. 

WR Sammy Watkins- 28 6'1 211 former 1st rounder, played 2021 on 1 year $6m deal, down year with 27 receptions, sub 4.5 speed, WR 3/4/5 challenger.
RT Morgan Moses- 30 6'6 335, per PFF only 3 sacks allowed 3 penalties this year with 71 grade, durable, played 2021 on a 1 yr $3.6m deal. Taylor replacement.
Edge Lorenzo Carter- 26 6'5 255, 2020 achilles, 2021 early injury but 8th best NFL pressure rate since week 12, McCray/Ward replacement.
TE Hayden Hurst- 28, 6'4, 260 former 1st rounder, Kyle Pitts fall out, Falcons declined $5.4m option, Jax native, O'Shag replacement. 
WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling- 6'4 207, sub 4.4 speed, 26 catches in 2021, WR 3/4/5 challenger.

There are many others....

Of this group, Carter is the most interesting. He is still young and came on at the end of last season. He would not cost much and does have upside. He'd likely be an upgrade from McCray and Ward. Moses would also be an upgrade from Taylor and would not break the bank and Hurst would be worth looking into as he has been in the past. He has local ties and should also be affordable since there are so many other tight ends available and the draft class is very strong at tight end.

Free agency should be very interesting to see whether the Jaguars can attract a couple of higher priced players in addition to the ones you mentioned. I'd be thrilled if the Jaguars end up with a group that looks like this:

Terron Armstead

Michael Gallup

Lorenzo Carter

Morgan Moses

Hayden Hurst

Armstead would obviously be very expensive, but I believe he'd be worth the $20 + million per year he'd receive, especially since re-signing Robinson would cost them $17 million. The Bengals are likely the favorites to sign Armstead due to having a great need combined with the possibility of making it to the Super Bowl again. Baalke could make a huge statement by out-bidding the Bengals for his services. Gallup, on the other hand, would be a great bargain due to his season ending injury and having to share catches with Cooper and Lamb. Even if he is not able to be full-speed at the start of the season, he would reap great rewards in the long run as he is only going to be 26 once the season begins. 

I believe this group could be signed leaving the team with a sufficient amount of money to sign other mid-level players later on if the need arises.

Terron Armstead is reportedly the #1 option on the Bengals free agent list. They have a ton of money to spend like we do, but they are coming off a Super Bowl performance. He's not signing with us.

If you go to A Robs IG there is only pics of him playing for the Jags

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2022, 09:36 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

With Simmons in our division, Chris Jones in the conference, Donald etc. Scherff should be 1 of the few guys we go all out for in FA. Even if we have to make him one of the top 3 highest paid guards in the league. I'm confident Little will be our future at LT

And Buckner

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-fr...y-position

I wouldn't necessarily call a lot of these guys underrated, but this is a really good list to target IMO. I love the idea of tagging Cam and signing Noteboom to be a high quality swing tackle/potential RT of the future. I aso really want Schultz and would love Connor Williams and Alexander Johnson. Gage would instantly be our best WR too and has flexibility in case we drafted someone like Dotson.

If our entire FA haul was striking out on the top names as I expect but signing Schultz, Williams, Johnson, Gage, and Noteboom that would be pretty realistic and extremely solid.

(02-16-2022, 07:57 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Terron Armstead is reportedly the #1 option on the Bengals free agent list. They have a ton of money to spend like we do, but they are coming off a Super Bowl performance. He's not signing with us.

Probably not.

That said, a fair question is whether we'd want him.

We tend to knock Brandon Linder because he gets hurt every year and misses games.

Terron Armstead has never played a complete season his entire year.  In fact, he's had at least four seasons where he's missed 5 or more games.

From a talent perspective, he's a clear upgrade over the guys we have at T.

But factoring in durability, he doesn't provide much of an upgrade when missed time is factored in.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I flat out don't want Armstead. He's way better than necessary at OT and he's going to command well over 20M AAV.

I am in the midst of a paradigm shift, thanks to PFF.

They had a video where they fixed each team in the AFC East and South in 5 minutes. Typically I am not a fan of PFF and I watched the video, and I found their approach to fixing the Jaguars to be an interesting one.

My approach to this offseason has been to draft some guards anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th round...in addition to taking Neal at 1.

However, they advocated signing two free agent guards.

While I always knew such an approach was possible, I had blinders on, and focused on drafting guards.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes. Considering both Neal and Little are still inexperienced, it would make sense for the guards to be vets. The trio of Linder and two other veteran guards would be a bit of a steadying influence on Neal/some other rookie and Little. That could only be of benefit to Trevor Lawrence.

Veteran guards that have reached the age of free agency are experienced enough to readily identify fronts, slants, stunts and blitzes. That will provide TL extra time needed to make plays and keep im from being hit.

Signing two guards will invariably open up theday 2 and early day 3 to other areas of need lik TE, WR, and LB.

Such an approach would be consistent with Pederson's belief in building the trenches first.

How is my wish list altered? James Daniels and Brandon Scherff for me please (along with a solid receiving TE and a WR.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-21-2022, 05:13 PM)Upper Wrote: I flat out don't want Armstead. He's way better than necessary at OT and he's going to command well over 20M AAV.

"Way better than necessary "  your take on tackles is over the top if I haven't ever seen one lol.  Yeah, who would want a great tackle to protect their franchise QB when you got these new waves of pass rushers coming in, something teams are trying to load up on and has pretty much won the last 2 SBs.  What's the best way to stop these great edge rushers coming in?  Get a pair of really good tackles.  Who wouldn't want to give their QB as much time as possible, and to buy their WRs more time to get open, who would want to do that?  Lmao

(02-22-2022, 08:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 05:13 PM)Upper Wrote: I flat out don't want Armstead. He's way better than necessary at OT and he's going to command well over 20M AAV.

"Way better than necessary "  your take on tackles is over the top if I haven't ever seen one lol.  Yeah, who would want a great tackle to protect their franchise QB when you got these new waves of pass rushers coming in, something teams are trying to load up on and has pretty much won the last 2 SBs.  What's the best way to stop these great edge rushers coming in?  Get a pair of really good tackles.  Who wouldn't want to give their QB as much time as possible, and to buy their WRs more time to get open, who would want to do that?  Lmao

If there was no salary cap, sure. Unfortunately there is, and there are large diminishing returns on linemen once you get past "good enough". Using 10%+ of our cap on one is pretty silly. Especially one who is aging and often hurt. This is not a Trent Williams unicorn FA situation.

(02-21-2022, 07:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am in the midst of a paradigm shift, thanks to PFF.

They had a video where they fixed each team in the AFC East and South in 5 minutes.  Typically I am not a fan of PFF and I watched the video, and I found their approach to fixing the Jaguars to be an interesting one.

My approach to this offseason has been to draft some guards anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th round...in addition to taking Neal at 1.

While I always knew such an approach was possible, I had blinders on, and focused on drafting guards.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.  Considering both Neal and Little are still inexperienced, it would make sense for the guards to be vets.  The trio of Linder and two other veteran guards would be a bit of a steadying influence on Neal/some other rookie and Little.  That could only be of benefit to Trevor Lawrence. 

Veteran guards that have reached the age of free agency are experienced enough to readily identify fronts, slants, stunts and blitzes.  That will provide TL extra time needed to make plays and keep im from being hit.

Signing two guards will invariably open up theday 2 and early day 3 to other areas of need lik TE, WR, and LB.

Such an approach would be consistent with Pederson's belief in building the trenches first.

How is my wish list altered?  James Daniels and Brandon Scherff for me please (along with a solid receiving TE and a WR.

Agreed. If we re-sign Robinson and have him and Little at the starting OT positions, we can focus solely on the interior O-Line. If we could sign an OG like Scherff, that would be fantastic, but I doubt he even hits the open market. He's really the only high priority free agent Washington has, so I expect him to get tagged. James Daniels could be a more realistic target. Maybe we could have an outside chance at Laken Tomlinson, if we offer enough and the same goes for Connor Williams. Mark Glowinski, Tom Compton, Ryan Jensen, Ben Jones, Ted Karras and Bradley Bozeman could be other possibilities as well. 

Signing one or two of those guys wouldn't prohibit us from drafting interior players either. God knows we've lacked O-Line depth for years and it seems like that is where we suffer the most injuries. Other than Shatley, we really haven't had good backups at any O-Line position. It would be nice to have some young players to develop for future starting roles without having to throw them to the wolves right away. 

In free agency, OG or Center and adding one very good WR and a true 3-4 ILB would be my priorities. Although I believe in order for us to get a really good WR, a trade is way more likely. The Cowboys, Rams and Vikings are all pretty much in cap hell right now. If we could trade for Amari Cooper, Robert Woods or Adam Thielen that would go a long way towards starting to give Trevor Lawrence some decent targets to throw to.

Amari Coopers contract is already underwater. I would trade for him if the Cowboys were giving us picks on top of Amari, I ain't giving anything for him.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2022, 09:01 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

Teams can tag players now. They usually wait closer to the end but we can see tags at any time now especially if teams aren't interested in giving said player a long term extension

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-franch...candidates

Available free agent money breakdown.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/free-agency-b...r-rankings
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-22-2022, 11:47 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 07:34 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I am in the midst of a paradigm shift, thanks to PFF.

They had a video where they fixed each team in the AFC East and South in 5 minutes.  Typically I am not a fan of PFF and I watched the video, and I found their approach to fixing the Jaguars to be an interesting one.

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.  Considering both Neal and Little are still inexperienced, it would make sense for the guards to be vets.  The trio of Linder and two other veteran guards would be a bit of a steadying influence on Neal/some other rookie and Little.  That could only be of benefit to Trevor Lawrence. 

Veteran guards that have reached the age of free agency are experienced enough to readily identify fronts, slants, stunts and blitzes.  That will provide TL extra time needed to make plays and keep im from being hit.

How is my wish list altered?  James Daniels and Brandon Scherff for me please (along with a solid receiving TE and a WR.

Agreed. If we re-sign Robinson and have him and Little at the starting OT positions, we can focus solely on the interior O-Line. If we could sign an OG like Scherff, that would be fantastic, but I doubt he even hits the open market. He's really the only high priority free agent Washington has, so I expect him to get tagged. James Daniels could be a more realistic target. Maybe we could have an outside chance at Laken Tomlinson, if we offer enough and the same goes for Connor Williams. Mark Glowinski, Tom Compton, Ryan Jensen, Ben Jones, Ted Karras and Bradley Bozeman could be other possibilities as well. 

Signing one or two of those guys wouldn't prohibit us from drafting interior players either. God knows we've lacked O-Line depth for years and it seems like that is where we suffer the most injuries. Other than Shatley, we really haven't had good backups at any O-Line position. It would be nice to have some young players to develop for future starting roles without having to throw them to the wolves right away. 

In free agency, OG or Center and adding one very good WR and a true 3-4 ILB would be my priorities. Although I believe in order for us to get a really good WR, a trade is way more likely. The Cowboys, Rams and Vikings are all pretty much in cap hell right now. If we could trade for Amari Cooper, Robert Woods or Adam Thielen that would go a long way towards starting to give Trevor Lawrence some decent targets to throw to.
Cooper's contract is too expensive and Dallas would want too much draft capital. Thielan isn't leaving the Vikings. That leaves Woods. I would prefer signing ARob or Godwin or Gallup instead of trading for a WR. That is a more likely trio to target..... well, maybe not Godwin, I think Tampa tries to keep him.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022, 12:34 PM by Caldrac.)

Putting too much stock at WR in free agency. I think they're going to resign Chark. Draft at least two receivers. Maybe invest in the OL and WR position a little bit but they're probably looking at two positions that are being underlooked in this system and current personnel situation.

RB and TE need to be resolved. You cannot hitch your future on two RB's coming off of significant injuries at their position. TE position is also crucial in Pederson's system. Dan Arnold + 1 more there. Bolster the OL a bit. Maybe add another Marvin Jones type WR but that's it. RB probably gets +2 in March.

Just don't expect much with Baalke still looming around. They're going to have to hit four homeruns within those 75 picks. Get your DE, get you a pair of WR's and land a LB. I think that has to be the play in April.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-24-2022, 12:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: RB and TE need to be resolved. You cannot hitch your future on two RB's coming off of significant injuries at their position.

I think Boston Scott makes a ton of sense, but also who cares? We're the worst team in the league we're in no position to be investing in RB beyond day 3 picks and extremely cheap FA.

Once we are good we can start both the financial and wear and tear clocks on a valuable (day 2 pick) RB.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022, 05:50 PM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-24-2022, 05:27 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 12:33 PM)Caldrac Wrote: RB and TE need to be resolved. You cannot hitch your future on two RB's coming off of significant injuries at their position.

I think Boston Scott makes a ton of sense, but also who cares? We're the worst team in the league we're in no position to be investing in RB beyond day 3 picks and extremely cheap FA.

Once we are good we can start both the financial and wear and tear clocks on a valuable (day 2 pick) RB.

I am stating they address that position in March. Not April. There's four guys in the entire draft at RB that I wouldn't mind being selected though. That's Haskins out of Michigan, White out of Georgia, Robinson out of Alabama and then Badie out of Missouri. 

I think realistically that Baalke and Pederson need to identify a player or two that they really see as a difference maker. Whether that's at TE, RB or on the offensive line. Doesn't matter to me. However, the idea that this team sits on three picks in the sixth round just doesn't make too much sense. 

You would think they package two of those up at some point to climb into RD4 or early RD5. There's always a player or two that you had a good grade on that ends up slipping due to injury concerns, poor system fits around the leauge, need picks becoming more important than actual value to other teams, etc. 

I think it's important to care a great deal actually. Especially at the RB position. It's still going to be a new system for Lawrence to learn. He's going to have to try and command this offense under Pederson with a lot of new faces involved. They need to be sure they have a strong supporting cast in that backfield to make it work. 

Pederson historically showed that he preferred a RB by committee approach. He likes dual threats at the position. Again, Etienne off a lisfranc and missing a full year of football. Robinson coming off of an ACL that happened late last year. Hyde probably not coming back and he shouldn't. He's over the hill. Needs to go. Armstead? 

They have to get a player or two in free agency. I really like the idea of them dipping into Arizona's pool with Conner and Edmonds hitting the market. McKissic and Michel need to be targeted as well.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022, 09:11 PM by Upper.)

(02-24-2022, 10:04 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Available free agent money breakdown.

https://www.nfl.com/videos/free-agency-b...r-rankings

This just like triples down on the idea that a lot of teams have a lot of money to throw around. I also agree with Prisco that it's a bad FA class too. I don't think we will get any of the big name FA, but I'm also not torn up about it either I don't think any of them will be franchise altering players. If we get a good handful of the guys I mentioned from PFFs sleeper FA list I think that will be very solid.