Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 vs 2023 1st round pick?

Obviously anything could happen, but as of right I don't see the Philadelphia Eagles trading for Watson, Rodgers, Wilson, or other QB right now. 

In that scenario, It would seem like the Eagles would be more like open to trading one of their 3 first round picks for a first round pick in a future year, if only to have more flexibility/picks if they want to trade up for a QB in the 2023 draft or other manuveuring.

So basically my question is would it make sense for the Jags to trade say a 2023 1st round pick and some filler for one of the Eagles first round picks this year? I am assuming the only reason to do this would because there a guy in the middle of the round the Jags would be targeting.

To me it makes sense because the Jags need to get more young talent around T-Law quickly, and getting a good player a year earlier would help with that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hell no

(03-03-2022, 03:28 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Obviously anything could happen, but as of right I don't see the Philadelphia Eagles trading for Watson, Rodgers, Wilson, or other QB right now. 

In that scenario, It would seem like the Eagles would be more like open to trading one of their 3 first round picks for a first round pick in a future year, if only to have more flexibility/picks if they want to trade up for a QB in the 2023 draft or other manuveuring.

So basically my question is would it make sense for the Jags to trade say a 2023 1st round pick and some filler for one of the Eagles first round picks this year? I am assuming the only reason to do this would because there a guy in the middle of the round the Jags would be targeting.

To me it makes sense because the Jags need to get more young talent around T-Law quickly, and getting a good player a year earlier would help with that.

For me, I say no. I hate trading future picks and I would only trade a first round pick in order to get a QB, which we already have. You never know what future drafts will look like. What if we traded that pick to move up in this draft, but the pick we would've had in 2023 could've netted us a true superstar? 

I'd assume if we did trade back up into the mid to latter part of this draft, it would be for a WR. IMO, there is no need to do that. There may not be a Ja'Marr Chase type WR in this draft, but the class is very, very deep. Maybe a guy like Chris Olave or Jahan Dotson falls to #33 and even if they don't, I'd easily take David Bell there. No one is talking about him and he's been one of the best, most consistent WR's in all of college football for the last 3 years. We'll get a good WR, if we stay put.

Yeah nah

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 04:08 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-03-2022, 03:28 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Obviously anything could happen, but as of right I don't see the Philadelphia Eagles trading for Watson, Rodgers, Wilson, or other QB right now. 

I think I might do it.  Normally, the value of a pick goes down the farther away in time it is.  A 4th round pick this year is traded for a 3rd round pick next year, for example.  So, if the Eagles wanted our next year's 1st round pick and, say, a 4th rounder, for their 15th or 16th overall pick this year, I would do that.

I could see them doing that for one of the top WR, but it's gonna have to be a flashy pick, I don't see them trading back into the first for someone like Linderbaum or Penning.

Only ones I would move for would be Jameson or London, and even then I'm thinking 20-ish is closer to where I want to move if they are sliding. Philly's picks are a little early, but if they move for 2023 1st and maybe our 2nd rounder, I'd have to think that offer over.

(03-03-2022, 04:11 PM)Mikey Wrote:

I could see them doing that for one of the top WR, but it's gonna have to be a flashy pick, I don't see them trading back into the first for someone like Linderbaum or Penning.

Only ones I would move for would be Jameson or London, and even then I'm thinking 20-ish is closer to where I want to move if they are sliding. Philly's picks are a little early, but if they move for 2023 1st and maybe our 2nd rounder, I'd have to think that offer over.

You're saying you would move to one of the Eagles picks for our 2nd this year and our first nest year?

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 05:24 PM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-03-2022, 04:11 PM)Mikey Wrote:

I'll be honest, a 1st and 2nd is too rich for my blood -- even for Jameson.

That player would have to be pretty damn good. The grading on that player would have to be considered A++ and have legitimate potential as a Superstar in the NFL. 

The more important question is. Do you trust Baalke to make that decision? If you're handing over a future first round selection in addition to some "filler". That's a huge gamble. 

You're having to trust a talent evaluator and general manager that has never landed a WR in any draft that had any major impact or lasting impressions in the NFL. 

I agree with the sense of urgency regarding Lawrence though. Especially with him still being on his rookie contract. The WR class in free agency is going to more than likely dry up fast with the expectation of Godwin, Adams & a few other players ultimately being retained. 

All the more reason Baalke and Co. need to figure out a way to resign Chark and maybe draft a guy like Dotson, Metchie III and Moore and another guy just to be safe.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-03-2022, 05:01 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 04:11 PM)Mikey Wrote: I could see them doing that for one of the top WR, but it's gonna have to be a flashy pick, I don't see them trading back into the first for someone like Linderbaum or Penning.

I'll be honest, a 1st and 2nd is too rich for my blood -- even for Jameson.

Agree, no thank you on that

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 06:33 PM by rpr52121. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-03-2022, 03:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

For me, I say no. I hate trading future picks and I would only trade a first round pick in order to get a QB, which we already have. You never know what future drafts will look like. What if we traded that pick to move up in this draft, but the pick we would've had in 2023 could've netted us a true superstar? 

I'd assume if we did trade back up into the mid to latter part of this draft, it would be for a WR. IMO, there is no need to do that. There may not be a Ja'Marr Chase type WR in this draft, but the class is very, very deep. Maybe a guy like Chris Olave or Jahan Dotson falls to #33 and even if they don't, I'd easily take David Bell there. No one is talking about him and he's been one of the best, most consistent WR's in all of college football for the last 3 years. We'll get a good WR, if we stay put.

I normally agree with you. I would only do it if there was a player at say 15/16/19 that I didn't expect, and their grading at a level that is at least on par with the best drafted players at that position every year. Basically this would be draft day trade that happens on the fly.

The other reason I'm considering this is that 6 wins normally gets you a pick between 8-12. I know we all are tired of being optimistic about the team and all, but next years schedule switches out the NFC West  + Falcons for the NFC East + Detroit. 

If T-Law is anything close to what he is supposed to be, with a better offensive system and scheme, the Jags have to be able to win 6 games right? True there have been superstars drafted in that range, but the reason for being drafted in that 8-12 range is because they were not a sure bet. And there have also definitely been superstars that fall to into the 15-19 range.

(This post was last modified: 03-03-2022, 06:33 PM by rpr52121. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-03-2022, 05:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote:

The more important question is. Do you trust Baalke to make that decision? If you're handing over a future first round selection in addition to some "filler". That's a huge gamble. 

You're having to trust a talent evaluator and general manager that has never landed a WR in any draft that had any major impact or lasting impressions in the NFL. 

I did say filler because I wasn't sure what may be fair at the time and I doubt if a 1st for 1st trade has every happened straight up. More likely it would be likely Eagles send 4th, Jags send 5th, or 5th for 6th, etc. 

I do get if you're like "I just don't trust our scouts or Baalke to make this call and get it right", but I feel it should at least be in play. But for this franchise to eventually win, they have to eventually get better at draft talent evaluation. If you have zero confidence to make this call, why would you expect anything better at #33 or other picks?

(03-03-2022, 06:32 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 05:21 PM)Caldrac Wrote: The more important question is. Do you trust Baalke to make that decision? If you're handing over a future first round selection in addition to some "filler". That's a huge gamble. 

I did say filler because I wasn't sure what may be fair at the time and I doubt if a 1st for 1st trade has every happened straight up. More likely it would be likely Eagles send 4th, Jags send 5th, or 5th for 6th, etc. 

I do get if you're like "I just don't trust our scouts or Baalke to make this call and get it right", but I feel it should at least be in play. But for this franchise to eventually win, they have to eventually get better at draft talent evaluation. If you have zero confidence to make this call, why would you expect anything better at #33 or other picks?
My concern is Baalke's track record on offense. I think he has a decent level of evaluating skills when it comes to defense and overall has made some smart decisions in drafting players that fit well on the defensive and offensive line with his time with the 49ers.

However. When it comes to the skill positions it's been extremely lack luster. My fear is that if he did trade back on opening night.

He would be the guy that drafts Jalen Reagor and misses on Justin Jefferson. He would take Tavon Austin and miss on DeAndre Hopkins or Kelvin Benjamin over Mike Evans.

That's my fear. He forks over a future first to get a pick from the Eagles and he'll draft a guy like Traylon Burks over Chris Olave.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-03-2022, 04:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 04:11 PM)Mikey Wrote: I could see them doing that for one of the top WR, but it's gonna have to be a flashy pick, I don't see them trading back into the first for someone like Linderbaum or Penning.

You're saying you would move to one of the Eagles picks for our 2nd this year and our first nest year?

I think that might be what you have to offer. If the team is motivated to put as much around TLaw today as they can, I could see the team making a splash move like this.

I'm a bit more conservative, but if the team is really into a guy and they seize the opportunity, I ain't gonna be running to the board to scream "but mah value chorts!!!1!!"

After seeing the WR's yesterday, I'd rather trade down from the #1 overall selection for one of the Eagles first round picks, their 3rd round pick and their first round pick in 2023.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022, 01:24 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-04-2022, 10:26 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 04:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You're saying you would move to one of the Eagles picks for our 2nd this year and our first nest year?

I think that might be what you have to offer. If the team is motivated to put as much around TLaw today as they can, I could see the team making a splash move like this.

I'm a bit more conservative, but if the team is really into a guy and they seize the opportunity, I ain't gonna be running to the board to scream "but mah value chorts!!!1!!"

Hell no, there will be a really good WR at 33 and we get to keep our 1st nest year. You don't give away future 1st. The 1st pick in the 2nd is like a first.

(03-04-2022, 12:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: After seeing the WR's yesterday, I'd rather trade down from the #1 overall selection for one of the Eagles first round picks, their 3rd round pick and their first round pick in 2023.

who in the world are they moving up for to give us two firsts and a third?

(03-04-2022, 02:45 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 12:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: After seeing the WR's yesterday, I'd rather trade down from the #1 overall selection for one of the Eagles first round picks, their 3rd round pick and their first round pick in 2023.

Who the world are we moving up for that's worth pick 33 and next years first?

(03-04-2022, 02:45 PM)Mikey Wrote:

I could possibly see them moving up for Hutchinson. They desperately need pass rushers.

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2022, 05:42 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-04-2022, 04:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 02:45 PM)Mikey Wrote: who in the world are they moving up for to give us two firsts and a third?

I could possibly see them moving up for Hutchinson. They desperately need pass rushers.

I think they're primed to make significant gains in that opening night of the draft if they end up sitting tight. 

At 15 they could very well end up landing Ahmad Gardner, that CB out of Cincinnati. The very next pick at 16 could be used on a receiver they like. Good chance there they could end up with Burks, London or Olave. Then, lastly, with that 19th pick? They'll probably be in a good position to draft Jermaine Johnson out of FSU at DE or Jordan Davis out of Georgia at DT. 

If I am in that war room I am not moving up at all. Hutchison or Thibodeaux would have to put up God like numbers tomorrow at the combine for me to move up. Even then, I am only giving up the 15th pick and 51st pick to move up for one of them. It's not a QB that's being coveted this year. 

And, to be honest? Jacksonville is hurting more in this scenario than they are. The Eagles play in a tipsy topsy division. A lot of people made fun of their new head coach because of the 'systems in place for systems" press conference but the kid apparently knows what he's doing. 

I sit tight on opening night. 15, 16 and 19 are prime slots in a suspect 1st RD draft class and you're more likely to land three quality starters on your team that make instant differences versus worrying about the boom/bust prospects that are there in the top 10.