Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Linebacker Position - Post Free Agency

Our linebacker position, specifically MLB and our Nickel sets has me rather concerned as a fan. Foyesade Oluokun was a great signing, but the release of Myles Jack was stunning. if we stick with the base 3-4 who is the other ILB runningmate alongside Foyesade? The Jaguars really haven't addressed the position in a meaningful way in recent years. I know they signed Schobert in free agency but he didn't work out. Besides Myles Jack being drafted at the top of the 2nd round after his fall from top 10 consideration ... the Jaguars haven't spend higher than a mid round pick on the position since 2016; that's almost half a decade without addressing the middle of the Defense. 

The only LB's we've drafted were: 

Shaq Quarterman - 4th round 2020
Blair Brown - 5th round 2017 

Both of those guys were depth, and special teams players. We've had no shortage of picks in that time, and we've really neglected the position as a whole. We have a MASSIVE hole in the middle of our defense; and I honestly couldn't tell you who will play alongside Foyesade in nickel sets (maybe a SS type playing in the box?) I'm surprised this isn't being discussed as more of a need because the cupboard is essentially empty at the position aside from Quarterman and maybe Dylan Moses if he can recapture his prime form from 'Bama. 

I think in 3-4 sets we're pretty fine at the OLB/Edge Rusher spot with Allen & hopefully Hutch or Thibs on the opposite side. I don't hate the idea of Chaisson getting some run there at the SLB position but he hasn't exactly been spectacular. If we don't address it early with either our 2nd round pick or one of the 2 3rd's we have.... We're going to get abused next season. In today's NFL with the rise of athletic TE's and pass catching runningback all of the other moves we made on defense will be nullified if opposing teams feel confident picking on our LB's. 

tl;dr - How should we address the position going into the 2022 season? Who is going to start alongside Foyesade Oluokun in base sets & nickel?
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I’m exited to see what Dylan Moses does this year.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 02:55 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

This linebacker class is insane. There will be instant day 1 starting linebackers available at all of 33, 65, and 70. There could even be one available at 106.

Dean, Muma, Andersen, Chenal, Asamoah, Harris, Brandon Smith, Beavers, Tindall, Walker, and Clark all look like they could be instant starters for us.

This draft could easily go something like Hutch, Cine, Tindall and to be honest it would be hard to punch any holes in the defense if it did go like that.

I think they'll be drafting an inside LB in the draft. However, the cupboard is not empty. I believe the organization likes the developing Quarterman (who did have 30 tackles last year in reserve duty). Also, the team put Moses, who was considered a high draft pick prior to the knee problem, on reserve last year to give him time to rehab and heal.

Every time I see the name Blair Brown I get queasy. There were a good handful of us pounding the table for George Kittle with that pick.

Dylan Moses has a lot of upside, so I’m excited to see what he can do as well. However, not counting on him as a starter yet.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 04:26 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-02-2022, 03:16 PM)ATLjag Wrote: I think they'll be drafting an inside LB in the draft.  However, the cupboard is not empty.  I believe the organization likes the developing Quarterman (who did have 30 tackles last year in reserve duty).  Also, the team put Moses, who was considered a high draft pick prior to the knee problem, on reserve last year to give him time to rehab and heal.

Agreed on Quarterman.  I hope we add a LB in the draft but I've always liked Quartermans potential.  It wouldn't surprise me if he turns the corner and is the week 1 starter. I've always liked Mosses as well

(04-02-2022, 02:50 PM)Upper Wrote: This linebacker class is insane. There will be instant day 1 starting linebackers available at all of 33, 65, and 70. There could even be one available at 106.

Dean, Muma, Andersen, Chenal, Asamoah, Harris, Brandon Smith, Beavers, Tindall, Walker, and Clark all look like they could be instant starters for us.

This draft could easily go something like Hutch, Cine, Tindall and to be honest it would be hard to punch any holes in the defense if it did go like that.

Although I don't see Asomuah as a 3-4 fit, I agree completely with you about the quality and depth of this year's LB class.  People that need help at the position should be able to get help this year well into the mid rounds.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(04-02-2022, 05:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 02:50 PM)Upper Wrote: This linebacker class is insane. There will be instant day 1 starting linebackers available at all of 33, 65, and 70. There could even be one available at 106.

Although I don't see Asomuah as a 3-4 fit, I agree completely with you about the quality and depth of this year's LB class.  People that need help at the position should be able to get help this year well into the mid rounds.

I agree. There are a lot of good prospects coming out. The challenge will be to separate the ones that kicked-butt because their D line was wicked strong keeping them free to roam and those that can deal with not having that much protection from O-linemen.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-02-2022, 03:31 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Every time I see the name Blair Brown I get queasy. There were a good handful of us pounding the table for George Kittle with that pick.

Kittle was drafted 2 spots before Brown was. 49ers drafted him with pick 146, we took Brown with pick 148.

+1

Our backers are all very below average. WR is the greatest need, even after signing Kirk to a 1 billion dollar deal. Then I would say Safety and LB are equally needed. With it being a passing league, I would go for a rangy safety. While they’re at it, I hope they get 2. LBs are good to scoop up in the draft bc they can play special teams and they’re cheap.

I hope they get a starting caliber LB once teams start cutting fat.

(This post was last modified: 04-02-2022, 08:15 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

Why don't you think that? He's basically the same size as Lavonte and White, maybe a tiny bit lightter but he can add 5-10 lbs, and he is as good as getting sideline to sideline as any LB in this class. He seems like a perfect LB for our new DCs scheme. I mean look at that.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=10093&p2=20983&[BLEEP]=LB

(04-02-2022, 08:11 PM)Upper Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 05:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Although I don't see Asomuah as a 3-4 fit, I agree completely with you about the quality and depth of this year's LB class.  People that need help at the position should be able to get help this year well into the mid rounds.

Why don't you think that? He's basically the same size as Lavonte and White, maybe a tiny bit lightter but he can add 5-10 lbs, and he is as good as getting sideline to sideline as any LB in this class. He seems like a perfect LB for our new DCs scheme. I mean look at that.

https://ras.football/ras-compare/?&p1=10093&p2=20983&[BLEEP]=LB
To be clear, I never said Asomuah was not athletic, only that I didn't see him as necessarily a 3-4 ILB.  I think he is most effective if he is protected by DTs. Being a good athlete does not necessarily mean he can take on guards and win.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Agreed about Asomoah. I see him as a 4-3 WLB. He reminds me a lot of Myles Jack. I just don't see him fitting in a 3-4 scheme. 

I am hoping Moses can be a big contributor this season. I also think we'll add another ILB later in the draft. One guy that really impressed me was Navy MLB Diego [BLEEP]. He played in the East/West Shrine game and was all over the field. He was a solid tackler and played very well in coverage. He has the size to play on the inside at 6'2" 237 lbs. too.

It would be huge if Moses can develop into a quality starter after a year to rehab.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 10:12 AM by Upper. Edited 5 times in total.)

(04-02-2022, 08:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 05:12 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Although I don't see Asomuah as a 3-4 fit, I agree completely with you about the quality and depth of this year's LB class.  People that need help at the position should be able to get help this year well into the mid rounds.

Agreed about Asomoah. I see him as a 4-3 WLB. He reminds me a lot of Myles Jack. I just don't see him fitting in a 3-4 scheme. 

What do you think the differences between a 4-3 WLB and a 3-4 ILB are? You may want a thumper in obvious short yardage/goal line downs, but in base and nickel/dime you need both of your 3-4 ILB to be able to fly and cover a huge amount of space. The days of one Poz type lumbering thumber and another Telvin type backer are way over. Jack was the perfect build and athlete to be a 3-4 ILB, he just didn't have the diagnostic capabilities to make it work.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 10:17 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(04-03-2022, 10:10 AM)Upper Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 08:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed about Asomoah. I see him as a 4-3 WLB. He reminds me a lot of Myles Jack. I just don't see him fitting in a 3-4 scheme. 

What do you think the differences between a 4-3 WLB and a 3-4 ILB are? You may want a thumper in obvious short yardage/goal line downs, but in base and nickel/dime you need both of your 3-4 ILB to be able to fly and cover a huge amount of space. The days of one Poz type lumbering thumber and another Telvin type backer are way over. Jack was the perfect build and athlete to be a 3-4 ILB, he just didn't have the diagnostic capabilities to make it work.
Give me a prime Poz and Telvin right now any day of the week.  We would have to go back to a 4-3 but if we had those 2 in their prime it would be worth it

(04-02-2022, 08:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I am hoping Moses can be a big contributor this season. I also think we'll add another ILB later in the draft. One guy that really impressed me was Navy MLB Diego [BLEEP]. He played in the East/West Shrine game and was all over the field. He was a solid tackler and played very well in coverage. He has the size to play on the inside at 6'2" 237 lbs. too.

Why is it bleeping the LB from Navy's last name? I know it sounds bad, but it's not even spelled the same as the slander word the website is mistaking it for. That's his name. If we draft him, are we never allowed to write his name on this board?

(04-03-2022, 10:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 08:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Agreed about Asomoah. I see him as a 4-3 WLB. He reminds me a lot of Myles Jack. I just don't see him fitting in a 3-4 scheme. 

Why is it bleeping the LB from Navy's last name? I know it sounds bad, but it's not even spelled the same as the slander word the website is mistaking it for. That's his name. If we draft him, are we never allowed to write his name on this board?

And it's pronounced Fagoe lol