Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:yep....

groundhog day all over again.... i get cleaning house, but it is now to the point that we are just making more holes for the sake of making them... rather than hanging on to what little solid players we do have

this team is 40 years away from being competitive

Did you live under power lines as a kid?

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You had two options.

1. Overpay Monroe (either by contract or franchise tag).  Get no draft picks.
  2. Overpay <insert name here> in FA.  Get draft picks to use on other players.
I don't see any major disservice done to the team by option 2.

The kicker here is that we're not overpaying, because we're not signing/tagging a LT.  Instead, we're in the much cheaper RT market.

What you would have paid for Monroe would have been MUCH higher than what you'd pay for a RT.

Just look at Claybo.  $3.5M.

LT Franchise tag for Albert?  Nearly $10M.

Simple stuff.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Oh boy. Now it's the collective opinion around the message board GM's that our #1 pick in the draft, presumably Bridgewater or some other franchise QB, is going to be protected by a 4th round or UDFA tackle because........................there are other 4th round or UDFA tackles on other teams! Unbelievable.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag
No, but there are a few clowns whom seem to think that because all we got was a 4 and 5 that is where the replacement has to come from.

Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

Quote:Oh boy. Now it's the collective opinion around the message board GM's that our #1 pick in the draft, presumably Bridgewater or some other franchise QB, is going to be protected by a 4th round or UDFA tackle because........................there are other 4th round or UDFA tackles on other teams! Unbelievable.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

Did I miss something?

When did we lose our 2nd and 3rd round picks for next year?

When did we lose the ability to sign free agents?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Did I miss something?

You didn't, but this is what people do when they are angry which chief has been for a while.  They don't think clearly.  Being at the bar all day probably doesn't help either. 

Quote:Did I miss something?

Maybe it was part of the trade and we missed it.

;

;

Perhaps you didn't read all the posts about how we can find a RT in the 4th round or later, even UDFA. That's what I'm replying to.

It is also common knowledge we are going to have to replace Rackley, Meester and Nwaneri as well. They can't all come from the 2nd or 3rd round.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Nobody is saying that Eugene can't be replaced or has to be replaced with 4ths and 5ths.

If the Texans traded J.J. Watt for a 7th rounder, Texans fans would be angry because he was traded for a 7th, not because he couldn't eventually be replaced.

Quote: 

If the Texans traded J.J. Watt for a 7th rounder, Texans fans would be angry because he was traded for a 7th, not because he couldn't eventually be replaced.

Because clearly that is the same.

;

;

Ok.

If Eugene Monroe was traded for 4ths and 5ths, Jaguars fans would be angry because he was traded for 4ths and 5ths, not because he couldn't eventually be replaced.

Happy now?  Exactly the same.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 03:26 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Perhaps you didn't read all the posts about how we can find a RT in the 4th round or later, even UDFA. That's what I'm replying to.

It is also common knowledge we are going to have to replace Rackley, Meester and Nwaneri as well. They can't all come from the 2nd or 3rd round.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

We CAN find a RT in the 4th round or later.

That doesn't negate the possibilty of finding a RT in the 2nd round, 3rd round, or in free agency.

Yes, I agree with your analysis that the interior three needs to be replaced as well.

I do NOT agree that

1) They can't all come in the 2nd and 3rd round.  If the team pulls off a trade that nets extra 2nd and 3rd round picks, it would certainly be possible to fill all three-four line positions in the 2nd & 3rd round;

2) they HAVE to address all of those positions in the 2nd & 3rd round.  Guards and Cs can be found in the 4th round or later;

3) they can't come in free agency; and

4) they all have to come in the next year.  If we found a RT, C, and LG, I could live with Uche for another year.

Quote:Nobody is saying that Eugene can't be replaced or has to be replaced with 4ths and 5ths.

Eugene Monroe is apparently a better player and worth more than JJ Watt then?

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Nobody is saying that Eugene can't be replaced or has to be replaced with 4ths and 5ths.

Not a fair comparison IMO

Quote:Ok.

If Eugene Monroe was traded for 4ths and 5ths, Jaguars fans would be angry because he was traded for 4ths and 5ths, not because he couldn't eventually be replaced.

Happy now?  Exactly the same.

They'd probably be more upset if the team let him walk in free agency only to find out they turned down a 4th and 5th round pick during the season.

;

;

Quote:Eugene Monroe is apparently a better player and worth more than JJ Watt then?

Wow...  Argue just to argue much?

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 03:32 PM by EricC85.)

Quote:Were this the end of the rebuild, or even after year two, I might share the concern.

But this is still year one.

The first season isn't even halfway over.

Did you honestly expect EVERY position would upgraded in one offseason?

No the problem is we upgraded the positions that where ok for the time being and ignored the real positions of need

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:They'd probably be more upset if the team let him walk in free agency only to find out they turned down a 4th and 5th round pick during the season.

Apparently not, judging by the 59 pages this topic has generated.

Is this the longest thread ever? Seriously.... 59 pages!

Quote:The kicker here is that we're not overpaying, because we're not signing/tagging a LT.  Instead, we're in the much cheaper RT market.

What you would have paid for Monroe would have been MUCH higher than what you'd pay for a RT.

Just look at Claybo.  $3.5M.

LT Franchise tag for Albert?  Nearly $10M.

Simple stuff.

Oh, I definitely agree that we'll save money overall, that a RT will come cheaper than a LT is a given.  I just wanted to acknowledge that getting any decent FA to come here given the current state of the team is going to probably require we overpay.  But hey, we were going to have to do that anyway to keep Monroe, but even more so.

Quote:No the problem is we upgraded the positions that we're ok for the time being and ignored the real positions of need

What positions were we okay at on a 2-14 team?

Do you suggest DB was not a "real need?"

Where does RB fit along the "need" spectrum?