Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Booze Thread

(This post was last modified: 05-22-2022, 06:43 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

FedEx on Sunday, huh…

I was expecting a package from FedEx that I was eagerly  expecting.  Didn’t show on Friday.  But the tracking showed it was at the hub on Thursday.  Saturday comes around and I ask where my stuff is.  They were late, put it on a Saturday truck.  I was told by a customer service representative that FedEx DOES NOT deliver on weekends.  I’ve gotten packages from them on the weekends before and since.  Told her they did deliver on weekends. I’m on the phone with FedEx about this package and her telling me they don’t deliver on the weekends AS A FREAKING FedEx Truck passes by my house!!!
I told her I have security cameras and today is your lucky day! You can elevate yourself from customer service to loss prevention! Someone just stole your [BLEEP] truck, last seen across the street!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've been on an Old Fashinoned kick lately. Made with Knob Creek, of course.

Orange Jameson and Sprite.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-22-2022, 06:58 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I've been on an Old Fashinoned kick lately. Made with Knob Creek, of course.

Knob is probably the best bourbon in that price point.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Pepsi Max (no sugar) has now become my preferred mixer for bourbon and rum in fact

Yes I'm a slouch Pepsi person

Not that there is anything wrong with coke as a mixer works wuite fine

In saying that I accidentally had a scotch and coke the other day...that was filthy

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2022, 05:26 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

Last week I had 3 new drinks I've never had before.       

1) Prosecco, which is a sparkling white wine,
2) Spritz, which is a mix of prosecco, aperol, and a splash of soda water, served over ice, and
3) Limoncello, a lemon liqueur served in a shot glass. 

My favorite was Spritz. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spritz_Veneziano

(05-23-2022, 01:37 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: Pepsi Max (no sugar) has now become my preferred mixer for bourbon and rum in fact

In saying that I accidentally had a scotch and coke the other day...that was filthy

My standard for a long time has been rum and diet coke, because it contains my two favorite legal drugs: alcohol and caffeine.

I was given a bottle of Widow Jane 15 year last year as a gift. Incredibly smooth.

https://widowjane.com/whiskey/the-vaults
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(05-23-2022, 05:23 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Last week I had 3 new drinks I've never had before.       

2) Spritz, which is a mix of prosecco, aperol, and a splash of soda water, served over ice, and

My favorite was Spritz. 

(05-23-2022, 01:37 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: Pepsi Max (no sugar) has now become my preferred mixer for bourbon and rum in fact

My standard for a long time has been rum and diet coke, because it contains my two favorite legal drugs: alcohol and caffeine.

Spritzes are great.  I find that the aperol and the soda water work great without the wine too.  Honestly there is a diverse family of Italian bitters out there, from aperol (light) to fernet branca (dark) and they all mix really well with soda water.  My total wine has a whole shelf set aside for Italian bitters.

Meet the American who invented light beer
Joseph Owades, a biochemist from NYC, revolutionized the brewing process and helped inspire the craft beer boom

Joseph L. Owades, the son of working-class Jewish immigrants who escaped Europe shortly before ethnic turmoil ignited World War I, enjoyed an unlikely career reinventing the way Americans drink beer.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/joseph...ica-drinks
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(05-23-2022, 11:58 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 05:23 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Last week I had 3 new drinks I've never had before.       

My favorite was Spritz. 

Spritzes are great.  I find that the aperol and the soda water work great without the wine too.  Honestly there is a diverse family of Italian bitters out there, from aperol (light) to fernet branca (dark) and they all mix really well with soda water.  My total wine has a whole shelf set aside for Italian bitters.

So, Mike, you're a smart guy.  Where was I when I drank Prosecco, Spritz, and Limoncello?

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2022, 11:02 AM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-24-2022, 06:58 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 11:58 AM)mikesez Wrote: Spritzes are great.  I find that the aperol and the soda water work great without the wine too.  Honestly there is a diverse family of Italian bitters out there, from aperol (light) to fernet branca (dark) and they all mix really well with soda water.  My total wine has a whole shelf set aside for Italian bitters.

So, Mike, you're a smart guy.  Where was I when I drank Prosecco, Spritz, and Limoncello?

You were probably on a trip through Italy. 
There was this family owned restaurant in Rome near the Vatican that brought out, for dessert, a caddy of three clear, unmarked bottles.  There was a bottle of milky yellow Limoncello, a bottle of clear Grappa, and a bottle of brown stuff that was probably Fernet Branca or one of its cousins.  We could drink as much from any of the bottles as we wanted. Sure beats Creme Brulee, at least for me! But I didn't see any prosecco or aperol on that trip.
On a separate trip, this time to Milan and Verona, we were always being offered Spritzes made as you describe.  But no limoncello and no dark bitters on that trip.

(05-24-2022, 11:01 AM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 06:58 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, Mike, you're a smart guy.  Where was I when I drank Prosecco, Spritz, and Limoncello?

You were probably on a trip through Italy. 
There was this family owned restaurant in Rome near the Vatican that brought out, for dessert, a caddy of three clear, unmarked bottles.  There was a bottle of milky yellow Limoncello, a bottle of clear Grappa, and a bottle of brown stuff that was probably Fernet Branca or one of its cousins.  We could drink as much from any of the bottles as we wanted. Sure beats Creme Brulee, at least for me! But I didn't see any prosecco or aperol on that trip.
On a separate trip, this time to Milan and Verona, we were always being offered Spritzes made as you describe.  But no limoncello and no dark bitters on that trip.

Venice.  One place I ordered a spritz, and the guy says, sweet or bitter?  I had no idea there was more than one version.  So I ordered the bitter, which was very good.  We had one expensive meal, and at the end of it, the waiter (owner?) brought us a couple of shot glasses of limoncello.  I hadn't ever had limoncello, so I didn't even know what it was.  My wife doesn't drink alcohol at all usually, but she did drink some Prosecco a couple of times and liked it.

(05-24-2022, 11:21 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 11:01 AM)mikesez Wrote: You were probably on a trip through Italy. 

Venice.  One place I ordered a spritz, and the guy says, sweet or bitter?  I had no idea there was more than one version.  So I ordered the bitter, which was very good.  We had one expensive meal, and at the end of it, the waiter (owner?) brought us a couple of shot glasses of limoncello.  I hadn't ever had limoncello, so I didn't even know what it was.  My wife doesn't drink alcohol at all usually, but she did drink some Prosecco a couple of times and liked it.

Italian bitters and whiskey mixed give you something similar to an old fashioned.  I was on a kick of mixing that at home for a little while.  Some people also add them to a Manhattan and call it a Little Italy.  But to me, the vermouth and the bitters clash.

There used to be an Italian place over on Beach Blvd owned by an legit Italian immigrant who spoke almost no English. At the end of the meal he brings out two unmarked bottles and a picture album. The four of us (wife and inlaws) sit there having shot glasses of lemoncello and some kind of chocolaty cordial while he sits with us pointing out pictures of his home town. My wife speaks a smidge of Italian but had actually been to the town during one of her sojourns and in that kind of discussion that only happens between people who don't understand each other we all talked about his Country. It was very cool. And the drinks were on the house too.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(05-24-2022, 01:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: There used to be an Italian place over on Beach Blvd owned by an legit Italian immigrant who spoke almost no English. At the end of the meal he brings out two unmarked bottles and a picture album. The four of us (wife and inlaws) sit there having shot glasses of lemoncello and some kind of chocolaty cordial while he sits with us pointing out pictures of his home town. My wife speaks a smidge of Italian but had actually been to the town during one of her sojourns and in that kind of discussion that only happens between people who don't understand each other we all talked about his Country. It was very cool. And the drinks were on the house too.

That's awesome.  Was there a label on the bottle or maybe was it homemade?

(05-24-2022, 07:27 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 01:05 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: There used to be an Italian place over on Beach Blvd owned by an legit Italian immigrant who spoke almost no English. At the end of the meal he brings out two unmarked bottles and a picture album. The four of us (wife and inlaws) sit there having shot glasses of lemoncello and some kind of chocolaty cordial while he sits with us pointing out pictures of his home town. My wife speaks a smidge of Italian but had actually been to the town during one of her sojourns and in that kind of discussion that only happens between people who don't understand each other we all talked about his Country. It was very cool. And the drinks were on the house too.

That's awesome.  Was there a label on the bottle or maybe was it homemade?

Probably bought, but unmarked bottles with cork stoppers.

Old Bay Flavored Vodka (Hey, it's a Maryland thing OK?)  and V8 Juice..... ALmost a Bloody mary but not quite..........

[Image: IMG_0607.JPG]
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Publix had some good sales on staples the last two weeks. Blue Moon was Bogo as was Kona label. I also bought some Island Brewing Company lager; highly recommend. I'm stocked up until August!

Bud light still doesn’t count does it?

Blue Moon…ick.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]