Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tiger

(05-26-2022, 12:03 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 09:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think he would have weighed the possibility of permanent injury or extreme pain against the possibility of winning a 16th major.  

But in the situation he was in, I don't see how anyone can criticize his decision to withdraw.  And right now, I see some possibility that he might retire for good.

Permanent injury???  It's GOLF.  There are no blindside hits, checking headfirst into the boards or 100 mph fastballs being thrown at your head.  Everyone stands quietly while you hit a little ball with a club.

Extreme pain?  When the going got tough, Tiger got gone!

The "situation" (out of contention) he was in is exactly why I criticize his decision.  If he was in such pain, why didn't he withdraw after round 1 or 2?

Because it got worse after round 3.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-26-2022, 04:04 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 4 times in total.)

(05-26-2022, 12:03 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 09:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I think he would have weighed the possibility of permanent injury or extreme pain against the possibility of winning a 16th major.  

But in the situation he was in, I don't see how anyone can criticize his decision to withdraw.  And right now, I see some possibility that he might retire for good.

Permanent injury???  It's GOLF.  There are no blindside hits, checking headfirst into the boards or 100 mph fastballs being thrown at your head.  Everyone stands quietly while you hit a little ball with a club.

Extreme pain?  When the going got tough, Tiger got gone!

The "situation" (out of contention) he was in is exactly why I criticize his decision.  If he was in such pain, why didn't he withdraw after round 1 or 2?

Maybe you haven't tried to play golf with a bad knee or back, otherwise you might not be making this argument.  Go to any doctor/chiropractor and ask them what the worst possible thing you can do to your back as an amateur sports participant is; 8 out of 10 will tell you 'swinging a golf club'.  And unless I just haven't been paying attention for the last 65 years, you're not expected to take violent hits in golf; otherwise, you'd be uniformed up with protective gear like those other sports you mentioned.  

Would you have raked Casey Martin over the coals for applying to use a golf cart back in the day because it was just 'GOLF' and he should be able to walk the circuit in spite of the circulatory disease in his right leg?  Woods is now dealing with injuries in both of his legs, along with his ever-present chronic back injuries. In 'golf years', he's a old man. He was out there testing his ability and endurance, and doesn't owe any of us an explanation for posting a WD.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2022/05...ampionship
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I'm watching the Dutch Open and some are wearing light sweaters. Climate is one of the reasons why there aren't more Europeans playing full time on the PGA Tour. I read an interview with a DP Tour player a few days ago who said it's just so much warmer in the U.S. and a lot of them don't care for it. I can't say I blame them, especially when it's 95 degrees and 95% humidity and they have a noon tee off time.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2022, 10:09 AM by RicoTx. Edited 1 time in total.)

What's the deal with the short, tight ankled, golf pants?  Hate 'em.  They look a little less than masculine...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I've seen guys out on the course here wearing them with short socks and the pants barely come to the top of their Achilles.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-28-2022, 10:08 AM)RicoTx Wrote: What's the deal with the short, tight ankled, golf pants?  Hate 'em.  They look a little less than masculine...not that there's anything wrong with that.

I've seen guys out on the course here wearing them with short socks and the pants barely come to the top of their Achilles.

I first saw them in 2015 while in Australia and was hoping they would stay there. It’s just young people doing what they can to establish their own style like every other  generation. It’s apparent they’re running out of options.

(05-28-2022, 10:08 AM)RicoTx Wrote: What's the deal with the short, tight ankled, golf pants?  Hate 'em.  They look a little less than masculine...not that there's anything wrong with that.

LOL

I recently had to add some new stage wear to my wardrobe and tried on some chinos/slacks. 

One brand had 4 cuts. 

#1 was a pretty classic straight leg with a mild taper at the lower hem.
#2 was a more aggressive taper and a bit less room in the waist and crotch
#3 was a skinny cut leg with little room in the waist/crotch to spare and the hem stopped short of the shoe w/ no break.
#4 was ultra skinny - low waisted - no room to breath anywhere - and the hem stopped well short of the shoe. 

#2 is my thing for stage. #1 is my everyday. 
 3 and 4 are strictly for the kids. I couldn't even get in the #4 cut without going up two sizes - which I did not bother to attempt. 

At least the golf pant version are typically 5-10% spandex (or a similar fabric) and quite flexible.

Going to Sunday at the travelers championship at the end of June. What do you guys wanna gear me yell after the final pairing tees off on 18?

(05-31-2022, 06:13 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Going to Sunday at the travelers championship at the end of June. What do you guys wanna gear me yell after the final pairing tees off on 18?

SAUSAGE CASINGS!

(05-31-2022, 07:31 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-31-2022, 06:13 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Going to Sunday at the travelers championship at the end of June. What do you guys wanna gear me yell after the final pairing tees off on 18?

SAUSAGE CASINGS!

BANANA CREAM PIE!

Active Shooter !!!

Dustin Johnson resigns from the PGA. LIV is gaining steam.

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/1217...-true-test

SAUDI ARABIA VIOLATES BASIC HUMAN RIGHTS!!!!!!!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The LIV thing is going to be interesting.

They'll never have the field of a PGA major, but I bet it will gain a pretty good international audience.

Plenty of folks will boycott, plenty will not care. Meh, whatever. I'm sure I'll check it out at some point just to see what 54 hole and team aspects bring to the table. Maybe it'll be kinda' cool. I already rarely have time to watch PGA stuff, so I don't know if I'll really ever get into it.

When is the next major that we may see Tiger try to rally for?

(06-07-2022, 11:55 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: The LIV thing is going to be interesting.

They'll never have the field of a PGA major, but I bet it will gain a pretty good international audience.

Plenty of folks will boycott, plenty will not care. Meh, whatever. I'm sure I'll check it out at some point just to see what 54 hole and team aspects bring to the table. Maybe it'll be kinda' cool. I already rarely have time to watch PGA stuff, so I don't know if I'll really ever get into it.

I’m enjoying it. The PGA is getting stale. This will shake things up a little. I’m curious to see how the PGA addresses the defections who don’t resign from the tour. Just about all the South Africans went over today; Oosthuizen, Schwartzel and Grace. Sergio went too but that’s no surprise.

(This post was last modified: 06-07-2022, 01:13 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-07-2022, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I’m enjoying it. The PGA is getting stale. This will shake things up a little. I’m curious to see how the PGA addresses the defections who don’t resign from the tour. Just about all the South Africans went over today; Oosthuizen, Schwartzel and Grace. Sergio went too but that’s no surprise.

It seems like a lot of older players looking for that last big payday.  DJ is the only one I can think of who should still be a contender at major championships, but he's 39, and I read that they paid him $150 million to join.  

Will golf fans watch when the field is far weaker than the weakest PGA Tour or European Tour event?   They have 4 players out of the top 50, and 16 out of the top 100 in the world golf rankings.  The top ranked player they have so far is DJ, who is 13th in the world golf rankings.  Here is a list of the players they have signed up so far:  

Oliver Bekker, Richard Bland, Laurie Canter, TK Chantananuwat, Hennie Du Plessis, Oliver Fisher, Sergio Garcia, Talor Gooch, Branden Grace, Justin Harding, Sam Horsfield, Dustin Johnson, Matt Jones, Sadom Kaewkanjana, Martin Kaymer, Phachara Khongwatmai, Sihwan Kim, Ryosuke Kinoshita, Chase Koepka, Jinichiro Kozuma, Pablo Larrazabal, Graeme McDowell, Jediah Morgan, Kevin Na, Shaun Norris, Andy Ogletree, Louis Oosthuizen, Wade Ormsby, Adrian Otaegui, Turk Pettit, James Piot, Ian Poulter, David Puig, JC Ritchie, Charles Schwartzel, Hudson Swafford, Hideto Tanihara, Peter Uihlein, Scott Vincent, Lee Westwood, Bernd Wiesberger, Blake Windred.

That field isn't even as good as a senior event.  

I'm sure the Saudis have enough money to fund this thing forever if they really feel like it, but do they really want to do that?

He announced today he's not playing in the US Open to rest up to return for The Open Championship in July.

(06-07-2022, 01:07 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(06-07-2022, 12:47 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m enjoying it. The PGA is getting stale. This will shake things up a little. I’m curious to see how the PGA addresses the defections who don’t resign from the tour. Just about all the South Africans went over today; Oosthuizen, Schwartzel and Grace. Sergio went too but that’s no surprise.

It seems like a lot of older players looking for that last big payday.  DJ is the only one I can think of who should still be a contender at major championships, but he's 39, and I read that they paid him $150 million to join.  

Will golf fans watch when the field is far weaker than the weakest PGA Tour or European Tour event?   They have 4 players out of the top 50, and 16 out of the top 100 in the world golf rankings.  The top ranked player they have so far is DJ, who is 13th in the world golf rankings.  Here is a list of the players they have signed up so far:  

Oliver Bekker, Richard Bland, Laurie Canter, TK Chantananuwat, Hennie Du Plessis, Oliver Fisher, Sergio Garcia, Talor Gooch, Branden Grace, Justin Harding, Sam Horsfield, Dustin Johnson, Matt Jones, Sadom Kaewkanjana, Martin Kaymer, Phachara Khongwatmai, Sihwan Kim, Ryosuke Kinoshita, Chase Koepka, Jinichiro Kozuma, Pablo Larrazabal, Graeme McDowell, Jediah Morgan, Kevin Na, Shaun Norris, Andy Ogletree, Louis Oosthuizen, Wade Ormsby, Adrian Otaegui, Turk Pettit, James Piot, Ian Poulter, David Puig, JC Ritchie, Charles Schwartzel, Hudson Swafford, Hideto Tanihara, Peter Uihlein, Scott Vincent, Lee Westwood, Bernd Wiesberger, Blake Windred.

That field isn't even as good as a senior event.  

I'm sure the Saudis have enough money to fund this thing forever if they really feel like it, but do they really want to do that?

Besides DJ it’s a lot of really decent golfers who just can’t seem to break through on the tour. Oosthuizen, one of my favorites, stands to earn more playing LIV than the PGA. Although, top ten money is pretty good. 

This is the first move to see how the PGA is going to react. The PGA has threatened to penalize and sanction but nothing yet. If they come down hard on these players it might prevent more defections but it might also turn up and coming players towards LIV for the bucks. If the series proves to be popular with the viewing public, it’s entirely possible that more money sources will join the Saudis. My guess is it will be British and European betting houses.

(06-07-2022, 07:58 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Dustin Johnson resigns from the PGA. LIV is gaining steam.

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/1217...-true-test

Tiger is happy.  I'm sure he's hoping everybody leaves so he can surpass Jack's record.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2022, 08:23 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

Here's Phil answering some questions yesterday. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOG8K3idDU4

I don't have as much of a problem as some people with the fact that it is Saudi money behind this thing.  My main problem is with the dishonest answers we get from the golfers when they are asked why they are doing this.  They all say stuff like "I'm doing what's best for my family," or in Phil's words, "I'm doing this to make the PGA Tour better," or some other nonsense like that.  They're doing it for money.  Why can't DJ just come out and say,

"I'm doing this because they are paying me $100 million dollars to join their tour, and if you don't like me dealing with them, then why don't we stop buying oil from them, or selling them weapons, or allying with them in various Middle Eastern conflicts?  Why are you asking me to drop $100 million on the altar of human rights when no one else does?"   That would be a much better answer than the obvious BS we are getting from these guys.  

They're doing it for the money and they might as well come clean and admit it.

I think this thread needs to be renamed...