Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MOVIES

We watched one of the most underrated movies of all time from the 80's..

The Wraith with Charlie Sheen.. Great stuff.

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Watching Apocalypse Now for the first time in easily 25 years.  It'll be interesting to see more familiar faces that I had forgotten were in the movie.  Already I see Harrison Ford with a small part.  Of course I remember Sheen, Duvall, and Brando.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(06-10-2022, 10:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Watching Apocalypse Now for the first time in easily 25 years.  It'll be interesting to see more familiar faces that I had forgotten were in the movie.  Already I see Harrison Ford with a small part.  Of course I remember Sheen, Duvall, and Brando.

Laurence Fishburne plays a small part in that movie. So does R. Lee Ermey.

(This post was last modified: 06-10-2022, 11:25 AM by RicoTx. Edited 4 times in total.)

(06-10-2022, 11:05 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 10:59 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Watching Apocalypse Now for the first time in easily 25 years.  It'll be interesting to see more familiar faces that I had forgotten were in the movie.  Already I see Harrison Ford with a small part.  Of course I remember Sheen, Duvall, and Brando.

Laurence Fishburne plays a small part in that movie. So does R. Lee Ermey.

I just noticed Lawrence Fishburne.  I had been staring at him for 15 minutes thinking, damn, that guy looks familiar.  Then it hit me...holy [BLEEP]...that's Lawrence Fishburne.

Also noticed a Joe Estevez when I was looking at the cast.  Wonder if this is where Martin Sheen hooked up with Joe's wife.

Love Duvall's character...

One of the best of all time..

I remember reading an article about the movie a long time ago. I guess for the scene where they sacrificed the cow, the filming crew had to get permission from the actual tribe leader to film the sacrifice. So that scene was a real sacrifice used in a tribal ritual..

(06-10-2022, 12:28 PM)WingerDinger Wrote:

One of the best of all time..

I remember reading an article about the movie a long time ago. I guess for the scene where they sacrificed the cow, the filming crew had to get permission from the actual tribe leader to film the sacrifice. So that scene was a real sacrifice used in a tribal ritual..

Excellent film! The original theatrical cut is the best version in my opinion. The Redux version was a mess. The horror.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-10-2022, 01:10 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-10-2022, 12:28 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: One of the best of all time..

Excellent film! The original theatrical cut is the best version in my opinion. The Redux version was a mess. The horror.

Yeah I agree, I didn't like the redux version either.

Interesting. So I never knew until I started looking at the cast. Martin Sheen's given name is Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez. All of his other children took their father's given surname. Charlie changed his name. Maybe because he lloks like [BLEEP], but I was surprised that Charlie Sheen was younger than Emilio Estevez.

If you ever want to see an outstanding production of "Fiddler on the Roof", watch the 1971 production directed by Norman Jewison. It's fantastic.

To give the movie a dated, sepia-like tone, the cinematographer shot the movie with a pair of panty hose stretched over the camera lens. You can faintly see the knit lines in some of the shots.

(06-10-2022, 06:09 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Interesting.  So I never knew until I started looking at the cast.    Martin Sheen's given name is Ramón Antonio Gerardo Estévez.  All of his other children took their father's given surname.  Charlie changed his name.  Maybe because he lloks like [BLEEP], but I was surprised that Charlie Sheen was younger than Emilio Estevez.

....this was a bit of trivia that I did know (the surname, not the whole name)

I’m down for watching The Shining sometime soon. One of my all time favorites. I wonder if anyone would go watch if it were released into movie theaters again for a few day’s run? I’ve only ever saw it on a TV screen. I would love to see it in a theater.

(06-14-2022, 11:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m down for watching The Shining sometime soon. One of my all time favorites. I wonder if anyone would go watch if it were released into movie theaters again for a few day’s run? I’ve only ever saw it on a TV screen. I would love to see it in a theater.

One of the only movies to ever genuinely freak my [BLEEP] out. I watched it back in the late 90s by myself at night. Oh. My. Word.

The sequel, Dr. Sleep wasn't too bad.. Kinda tied everything into place from The Shining.

(06-14-2022, 01:52 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The sequel, Dr. Sleep wasn't too bad.. Kinda tied everything into place from The Shining.

I never heard of this. I’ll check it out but I kind of like where The Shining ended. It leaves enough mystery for everyone to come to their own conclusion.

(06-14-2022, 11:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’m down for watching The Shining sometime soon. One of my all time favorites. I wonder if anyone would go watch if it were released into movie theaters again for a few day’s run? I’ve only ever saw it on a TV screen. I would love to see it in a theater.

I saw it in the theatre when it was released, and it would def make you jump. I read the book beforehand, and they did a great job translating the best parts of the book to the script. I'm not much for the horror genre (most of it makes me laugh rather than jump), but the Shining did its job.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-14-2022, 02:11 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

I saw it in the theatre when it was released, and it would def make you jump.  I read the book beforehand, and they did a great job translating the best parts of the book to the script.  I'm not much for the horror genre (most of it makes me laugh rather than jump), but the Shining did its job.

I’ve commented on this before but Stephen King hated the movie because it veered so far from the book, which I’ve read as well. I can think of no other movie that was better than the book except The Shining. King would not understand that Stanley Kubrick vastly improved upon the story. At least that’s my take.

Dang y'all. Top Gun: Maverick was freaking awesome. Most definitely worth seeing it at the theater on the biggest screen they have. Do not wait to watch it at home. It deserves the big screen.

(06-14-2022, 02:02 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 01:52 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: The sequel, Dr. Sleep wasn't too bad.. Kinda tied everything into place from The Shining.

I never heard of this. I’ll check it out but I kind of like where The Shining ended. It leaves enough mystery for everyone to come to their own conclusion.

Yeah there's a follow up novel and the movie is based on it. They diverge slightly but I think they take the story in an interesting direction and they are closer than the original novel/movie. See The Shining again first as there are lots of call backs and references to the original.

(06-14-2022, 02:16 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(06-14-2022, 02:11 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: I saw it in the theatre when it was released, and it would def make you jump.  I read the book beforehand, and they did a great job translating the best parts of the book to the script.  I'm not much for the horror genre (most of it makes me laugh rather than jump), but the Shining did its job.

I’ve commented on this before but Stephen King hated the movie because it veered so far from the book, which I’ve read as well. I can think of no other movie that was better than the book except The Shining. King would not understand that Stanley Kubrick vastly improved upon the story. At least that’s my take.

King was mad because the book was very much oriented to the perspective of the kid, Danny Torrance rather than the father where the movie had the father as the central character. Probably a good idea given Nickleson's performance.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-14-2022, 05:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Dang y'all. Top Gun: Maverick was freaking awesome. Most definitely worth seeing it at the theater on the biggest screen they have. Do not wait to watch it at home. It deserves the big screen.

I couldn't agree more.

(This post was last modified: 06-18-2022, 06:49 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

I spent some time last night re-watching The French Connection.  What I didn't remember was how much of that movie had almost no dialogue at all.  A lot of time was spent on wordless stalking, and following, and chasing.  There were some great scenes where Gene Hackman was following Fernando Rey, and the Rey character knew he was being followed, but didn't want to show it, and you see the two characters in the same space, with Rey's eyes going everywhere but never directly at Hackman.  It's very interesting the way it was done.