Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Go EV? Not me... those things are dangerous just sitting around.....

White Tesla Model S bursts into flames after sitting in California wrecking yard for THREE weeks: Firefighters had to submerge vehicle in a pit to extinguish its battery
  • A white Tesla Model S burst into flames at a Rancho Cordova, California wrecking yard, weeks after it had initially been wrecked
  • Firefighters used 4,500 gallons and a pit they dug to finally extinguish the vehicle
  • The fire follows a series of other Tesla fires that may be blamed  on the car's battery

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...zdYjCiGcdk
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I can imagine you in the 1900's when the car was first mass produced. "Motor vehicle, not for me"

In the 1950's "Commercial aviation, not for me"
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

Can’t be anymore dangerous than a Ford Pinto.

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2022, 07:45 AM by The Drifter. Edited 1 time in total.)

(06-23-2022, 07:07 AM)captivating Wrote: I can imagine you in the 1900's when the car was first mass produced.  "Motor vehicle, not for me"

In the 1950's "Commercial aviation, not for me

I've always had fast cars, so ground transportation dosen't bother me, be it in a automobile or taking the train

As far as flying goes, well, I've flown 7 times in my life. Once in a Cessna, 5 times in a commercial jet, and once when I had to me medevaced to shock trauma in a chopper. Last time I took a commercail jet was January 2000, and you will not catch me taking one again..... Too much BS you need to go through with the TSA.

(06-23-2022, 07:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Can’t be anymore dangerous than a Ford Pinto.

You will not catch me in any car that is known to explode, or catch fire on impact ot just parked.... I may have taken quite a few risk in my day but..... They were pretty much under my contol

[Image: Explosive.png]
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

Do a search for "auto recall fire risk". I think I'm just going to walk everywhere from now on.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(06-23-2022, 07:21 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Can’t be anymore dangerous than a Ford Pinto.

They’d only explode if you hit them though, right?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(06-23-2022, 01:31 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote:

...and only if they had gas in the tank. Tongue

Stare at it long enough and it may catch fire too..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

Early ones. They put out a fix later to reinforce the tank. I had a Mercury Bobcat way back in my Navy days which was basically the same thing. They were pretty good little cars.

(This post was last modified: 06-23-2022, 04:28 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

Chevy Vega had the same problem.

This may have been posted elsewhere in this forum, but it's a good analysis of why EV at this point in time is not the best idea. Of course, our government will push it anyway.

https://www.ted.com/talks/graham_conway_...d_vehicles
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(06-23-2022, 04:24 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

This may have been posted elsewhere in this forum, but it's a good analysis of why EV at this point in time is not the best idea.  Of course, our government will push it anyway.

Maybe but as I was trying to say earlier, gasoline cars have recalls for fire too so I wouldn't use that as the deciding factor.

The electric motor is a hell of lot more efficient at moving things than the internal combustion engine. Yeah, maybe I'll wait another year for even better battery tech, but my, er, switch is inevitable.

I've also had a gasoline-powered car catch on fire while I was driving it. Ask around and you'll probably find the old technology maybe isn't as safe as you thought.

(06-23-2022, 05:15 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 04:24 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Chevy Vega had the same problem.

This may have been posted elsewhere in this forum, but it's a good analysis of why EV at this point in time is not the best idea.  Of course, our government will push it anyway.

Maybe but as I was trying to say earlier, gasoline cars have recalls for fire too so I wouldn't use that as the deciding factor.

I'm not saying that fire should be the deciding factor. the video doesn't either. Check it out, it makes sense.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

we are the guinea pigs for EVs ---- i'll wait another 10 years before diving into that purchase.

(06-23-2022, 04:24 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:

I remember the Corvair "unsafe at any speed", but not the Vega. I'll admit Vegas were already approaching "classic" status by the time I was a car-noticing kid

(06-24-2022, 08:32 AM)Mikey Wrote: I remember the Corvair "unsafe at any speed", but not the Vega. I'll admit Vegas were already approaching "classic" status by the time I was a car-noticing kid

I hope you're talking about the Cosworth edition, because no other Vega ever has or will be worthy of the "classic" distinction.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(06-23-2022, 03:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 01:31 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: They’d only explode if you hit them though, right?

Early ones. They put out a fix later to reinforce the tank. I had a Mercury Bobcat way back in my Navy days which was basically the same thing. They were pretty good little cars.

Yeah! My cousin had a 75' Bobcat Runabout. Kind of a cool little car, he loved the sloping back window.

(06-24-2022, 10:00 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(06-24-2022, 08:32 AM)Mikey Wrote: I remember the Corvair "unsafe at any speed", but not the Vega. I'll admit Vegas were already approaching "classic" status by the time I was a car-noticing kid

I hope you're talking about the Cosworth edition, because no other Vega ever has or will be worthy of the "classic" distinction.

by that I meant "already a rustbucket and vehicle of last resort". There weren't any on the showroom floor, pampered like a treasured possession, or even in decent state of repair. Basically what the Chevy Cavalier became around 2010 or 11 - somewhere between 8 and 15 years old, mismatched fender, noisy exhaust because the muffler has long been rusted out, faded and sun-cracked interior, dead tail light, just the vehicular embodiment of depression.

(06-24-2022, 10:17 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(06-23-2022, 03:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Early ones. They put out a fix later to reinforce the tank. I had a Mercury Bobcat way back in my Navy days which was basically the same thing. They were pretty good little cars.

Yeah!  My cousin had a 75' Bobcat Runabout.  Kind of a cool little car, he loved the sloping back window.

Mine was a 76 IIRC. I got it with 12,000 miles on the odometer sold it at 200K and from what I understand it went at least another 100K.

(06-24-2022, 12:54 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(06-24-2022, 10:17 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Yeah!  My cousin had a 75' Bobcat Runabout.  Kind of a cool little car, he loved the sloping back window.

Mine was a 76 IIRC. I got it with 12,000 miles on the odometer sold it at 200K and from what I understand it went at least another 100K.

A Mercury Bobcat? No way!