Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

(07-16-2022, 03:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 02:43 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: First. I do believe the Jags defense is better which is why I said offensive weapons and not switching entire rosters.

Second. A slight edge at WR is reaching hard in the Jags favor. Wilson will likely be the best WR either team has and then the 2nd best WR for either team will be Moore. I love Kirk but I would trade Kirk for Moore or Wilson in a second. Then Davis and MJJ are a wash to me. Shenault is meh and Zay Jones is a no body for me.

Conklin and Uzomah vs Engram and Arnold? Not sure how you can give either an edge considering both are rather mediocre. Engram has never been as good ashis rookie year and Arn has never really peaked. Conklin and Uzomah are both better blockers though.

For the running backs, if you told me ETN and JRob were 100%, I would certainly give them the edge. However, both are coming off major injuries for RBs. JRob likely starts the year on PUP and they’ll be lucky if he comes back 100% at any point in his career (I know you’ll likely used Akers as an example but that’s very rare). ETN coming off Lisfranc is just as bad but I actually have more hope with him than JRob. Carter and Hall could very easily be the next really good duo in the league.

As far as the OLine, Jawaan Taylor is absolute garbage. The worst player on either team. Scherff is fantastic when healthy but that’s rare. I would take Becton and Fant over Taylor and Robinson. AVT, McGovern and Tomlinson are a better trio than Scherff, Shatley and whoever starts at LG for the Jags.

So yea. I like the Jets offensive talent (except Their QB) more than the offensive talent for the Jags.

It's funny how you only bring up Jags injuries, lmao.  Becton is their lineman and injuries is his biggest concern, Moore was injured most of last year, Davis was injured, Uzomah is coming off a serious injury!  Why didn't you bring up injuries if you want to through that into the equation? If I can take one if Wilson or Moore give me Moore, I think he will be their alpha WR if he can stay healthy.  Not to mention you say Engram only had a good rookie year, what QB has he had and what Jets TE has had a good year? ETN will be 100%, have you seen his workout videos? I'm not concerned about him and JRob is a different animal, he will be good as well.  One guy you forgot we had is Walker Little. He will be the tackle opposite Cam and our best tackle, keep bringing up Taylor lol
You’re a homer so I’m not shocked you love the Jags skill players so much.

Workout videos?  Come on man. That means nothing. And by saying JRob is a “different animal”, that means he will 100% come back from a torn Achilles? 

Not sure why I even bothered responding to you when I knew you would answer like that.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(07-16-2022, 03:23 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 03:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: It's funny how you only bring up Jags injuries, lmao.  Becton is their lineman and injuries is his biggest concern, Moore was injured most of last year, Davis was injured, Uzomah is coming off a serious injury!  Why didn't you bring up injuries if you want to through that into the equation? If I can take one if Wilson or Moore give me Moore, I think he will be their alpha WR if he can stay healthy.  Not to mention you say Engram only had a good rookie year, what QB has he had and what Jets TE has had a good year? ETN will be 100%, have you seen his workout videos? I'm not concerned about him and JRob is a different animal, he will be good as well.  One guy you forgot we had is Walker Little. He will be the tackle opposite Cam and our best tackle, keep bringing up Taylor lol
You’re a homer so I’m not shocked you love the Jags skill players so much.

Workout videos?  Come on man. That means nothing. And by saying JRob is a “different animal”, that means he will 100% come back from a torn Achilles? 

Not sure why I even bothered responding to you when I knew you would answer like that.
Exactly, you ain't got [BLEEP] as usual lol.  I never said I loved the Jets skill players if you pay attention, we are comparing them to the Jets.

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2022, 06:31 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-16-2022, 06:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 01:12 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: So you're telling me that every bad play, every mistake Trevor Lawrence made in one of the worst rookie seasons in recent memory, was soley the result of his coaching and WRs dropping passes?

Regardless of where you want to point blame, and there was plenty to go around last year. He made plenty of mistakes that were 100% his doing. You cannot sit and blame everyone but him when he had as much to do with the failures as anyone else.

Of course I'm not saying that every mistake Trevor made was someone else's fault.  I never said that. 

But I'm sure you could cherry-pick plays from any QB last year, and point to mistakes that were 100% the fault of that QB.  What you seem to be ignoring is the fact that Trevor was a rookie QB on the worst team in the league with the worst head coach in NFL history.

It's not cherry picking when it's your entire season. Yeah, ofcourse I could do that. And most QBs in the NFL aren't that good and are replaceable.. and none of them were as highly rated as Lawrence coming out of college. I'm not ignoring what he had going against him in terms of coaching/talent. Again, like i've said a million times in this thread and elsewhere. He made mistakes with this team, that he made with a national championship college team.

I don't think there was a QB talented enough in the NFL (except maybe Mahomes) that could have elevated this team to a wildcard spot last year.. that being said, there are plenty of good QBs who would have still shown their talent despite losing. 

I think the biggest disconnect people on this board have with me is I feel like people think that I believe he's a bust and want him to fail to prove a point. For the record, had I been the GM in 2021 I would have also selected Trevor. We had to get a QB and he was the most promising of the group. I just think he was severly overrated, and is not a sure fire pick as most seem to think. My biggest problem with his rookie season again, is that I sat and watched him show almost 0 improvement on his weak areas that he had at Clemson. And while i'm sure a lot of people on this board don't see those same issues because the most of Lawrence they saw in college was his highlight videos on youtube.. I see it clear as day.

(07-16-2022, 08:25 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Moth ———> Flame

He just can’t stay away.

Best part is, he can’t be ‘wrong’.  If he does well this season, it’s all Pederson.

Yes because I haven't made an entire thread saying I'll be glad to eat crow if he has a great season this year.. right?

(07-16-2022, 09:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 09:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: If Trevor had Wilson’s weapons, the Jags would win the AFC South.

Weapons are the main difference, so far, between Trevor's performance and Andrew Luck's performance. He was throwing to Reggie Wayne and T Y Hilton, not Tavon Austin and Shenault.

The colts were not a legit #1 overall pick team, they just decided to tank a year when the opportunity came up, then went back to being a decent team after that.

The Jaguars were a legit worst team in the league when they qualified for the #1 pick, then they got out a shovel and started digging a deeper hole when they hired Urban.

Really? We're talking the same Colts team that only made the playoffs the year prior because David Garrard got hurt and we were unable to win one more game the final 3 weeks after Scobee hit the 59 yarder to beat indy? The same Colts team that had Peyton Manning and lost to Mark Sanchez and the Jets in the wildcard round?

You sure that team was good? Cause it wasn't, you're delusional if you think it was. The ONLY thing that Colts team had was Reggie Wayne, Ty Hilton was a rookie.. the rest of that team sucked, Andrew Luck was what he was hyped to be. Lawrence is not Andrew Luck.

(07-17-2022, 06:35 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 09:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Weapons are the main difference, so far, between Trevor's performance and Andrew Luck's performance. He was throwing to Reggie Wayne and T Y Hilton, not Tavon Austin and Shenault.

The colts were not a legit #1 overall pick team, they just decided to tank a year when the opportunity came up, then went back to being a decent team after that.

The Jaguars were a legit worst team in the league when they qualified for the #1 pick, then they got out a shovel and started digging a deeper hole when they hired Urban.

Really? We're talking the same Colts team that only made the playoffs the year prior because David Garrard got hurt and we were unable to win one more game the final 3 weeks after Scobee hit the 59 yarder to beat indy? The same Colts team that had Peyton Manning and lost to Mark Sanchez and the Jets in the wildcard round?

You sure that team was good? Cause it wasn't, you're delusional if you think it was. The ONLY thing that Colts team had was Reggie Wayne, Ty Hilton was a rookie.. the rest of that team sucked, Andrew Luck was what he was hyped to be. Lawrence is not Andrew Luck.

So you think that a team that made the playoffs repeatedly before and after getting that first overall pick is the same as what the Jaguars were? Just in case you forgot, the colts made it to the playoffs in the three years before they tanked, and the three years following the tank. Did you not know that?

Really, what you're saying, though, is your feelings about Luck were better before he played in the NFL and even though his actual performance was almost the same as Trevor's from an analytical perspective you still think he was encouragingly good while Trevor has been worryingly bad.

Okay.

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2022, 08:53 AM by leopold332002. Edited 2 times in total.)

(07-17-2022, 06:35 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-16-2022, 09:45 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Weapons are the main difference, so far, between Trevor's performance and Andrew Luck's performance. He was throwing to Reggie Wayne and T Y Hilton, not Tavon Austin and Shenault.

Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Coby Fleener, Robert Mathis, Dwight Freeney, Vontae Davis and Austin Collie. 

Let's not forget Bruce Arians was Coach of the Year because he was the head coach most of the season because of Chuck Pagano had to step away for cancer.

But It was all Andrew luck right and the roster that he inherited have nothing to do with it. If you think last year's roster and coaching staff is just as good as the 2012 colts then you are the clown avatar that's on your profile.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(07-17-2022, 08:43 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-17-2022, 06:35 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Really? We're talking the same Colts team that only made the playoffs the year prior because David Garrard got hurt and we were unable to win one more game the final 3 weeks after Scobee hit the 59 yarder to beat indy? The same Colts team that had Peyton Manning and lost to Mark Sanchez and the Jets in the wildcard round?

So you think that a team that made the playoffs repeatedly before and after getting that first overall pick is the same as what the Jaguars were? Just in case you forgot, the colts made it to the playoffs in the three years before they tanked, and the three years following the tank. Did you not know that?

Really, what you're saying, though, is your feelings about Luck were better before he played in the NFL and even though his actual performance was almost the same as Trevor's from an analytical perspective you still think he was encouragingly good while Trevor has been worryingly bad.

Okay.

Yes he does. Just as deeply and completely as he believes he right that Lawrence is bad. And he's massively wrong in both cases, but you'll never get him to realize it.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-17-2022, 08:53 PM by OzJohnnie. Edited 1 time in total.)

(07-13-2022, 01:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I find these rare takes on Lawrence's supposed inability to read coverage to be laughable. 
The Bevell/Meyer playbook had receivers running some sketchy routes to begin with and the receivers that ended up playing most of the year either weren't running them accurately or weren't getting any separation on a very high percentage of targets. 

Kurt Warner’s review of TL from week four.  How much improvement on these issues did TL make?  And in Kurt’s conclusion telling Jags fans not to panic he highlights some areas we should see TL improve as the season progresses.  Did we?

Not so rare and not so laughable.  Will the new QB coach who has both OC and HC experience be able to coach TL through these basic QB skill challenges?  We’ll see.

https://youtu.be/XXG6EuvWUw0

TL gives me the impression of the above average kid who gets caught out as he progresses up the ranks of competition. Many get caught in high school. Many more in college. TL seems to have such freakish arm strength and athletic ability that his lack of the basics didn’t catch up with him until the NFL, which is incredible.

(07-17-2022, 08:43 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-17-2022, 06:35 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Really? We're talking the same Colts team that only made the playoffs the year prior because David Garrard got hurt and we were unable to win one more game the final 3 weeks after Scobee hit the 59 yarder to beat indy? The same Colts team that had Peyton Manning and lost to Mark Sanchez and the Jets in the wildcard round?

Okay.

I did like Luck coming out a lot more than Trevor. He looked like an NFL QB playing against children. It was blatantly obvious he'd be good in the NFL. To me, Trevor in college had flashes of greatness, but at times looked lost. I never really saw that inconsistency with Andrew Luck.

(07-18-2022, 06:15 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-17-2022, 08:43 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: So you think that a team that made the playoffs repeatedly before and after getting that first overall pick is the same as what the Jaguars were? Just in case you forgot, the colts made it to the playoffs in the three years before they tanked, and the three years following the tank. Did you not know that?

Okay.

I did like Luck coming out a lot more than Trevor. He looked like an NFL QB playing against children. It was blatantly obvious he'd be good in the NFL. To me, Trevor in college had flashes of greatness, but at times looked lost. I never really saw that inconsistency with Andrew Luck.
I had that feeling as well. Where we differ, is that I attributed that gap in class as him playing in the PAC more than I did him being purely NFL ready(in hindsight I realize he was). The same argument can be made about TL because he played in the ACC but I think with Clemson always being in either the playoff or all the way to the National Championship game against a top team gave me more of a feel for him against top comp. 

I’m not going to argue that he didn’t have inconsistencies last season but those are not things that stood out to me while he was at Clemson. I think that is why I have a easier time writing some(not all) of those faults off as falling more on his supporting cast and the situation he as in last year than on his game.

When I saw him play in college, it always seemed like if he had a decent crew around him he would flourish and his team was one of the best in the country.

(07-18-2022, 06:15 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-17-2022, 08:43 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: So you think that a team that made the playoffs repeatedly before and after getting that first overall pick is the same as what the Jaguars were? Just in case you forgot, the colts made it to the playoffs in the three years before they tanked, and the three years following the tank. Did you not know that?

Okay.

You must watch a lot of college football. How many hours a week would you estimate you spend pouring over game film?

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2022, 08:32 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 2 times in total.)

(07-18-2022, 06:41 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 06:15 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I did like Luck coming out a lot more than Trevor. He looked like an NFL QB playing against children. It was blatantly obvious he'd be good in the NFL. To me, Trevor in college had flashes of greatness, but at times looked lost. I never really saw that inconsistency with Andrew Luck.
I had that feeling as well. Where we differ, is that I attributed that gap in class as him playing in the PAC more than I did him being purely NFL ready(in hindsight I realize he was). The same argument can be made about TL because he played in the ACC but I think with Clemson always being in either the playoff or all the way to the National Championship game against a top team gave me more of a feel for him against top comp. 

I’m not going to argue that he didn’t have inconsistencies last season but those are not things that stood out to me while he was at Clemson. I think that is why I have a easier time writing some(not all) of those faults off as falling more on his supporting cast and the situation he as in last year than on his game.

When I saw him play in college, it always seemed like if he had a decent crew around him he would flourish and his team was one of the best in the country.

(07-18-2022, 06:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 06:15 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I did like Luck coming out a lot more than Trevor. He looked like an NFL QB playing against children. It was blatantly obvious he'd be good in the NFL. To me, Trevor in college had flashes of greatness, but at times looked lost. I never really saw that inconsistency with Andrew Luck.

You must watch a lot of college football. How many hours a week would you estimate you spend pouring over game film?

I don't typically watch college football casually. There is a website where you can watch all of a players snaps from whatever game you want, in a short video. Realisticly you could go back and watch every pass Lawrence made in college in less than an hour there. Ironically enough I think the first time I found this website was the year Andrew Luck came out. But that's where I form my opinions on college prospects.

(07-18-2022, 06:41 AM)JagsorDie Wrote:

That Clemson team was just as good before he got there with Watson. Infact Watson and Lawrence had very similar numbers/success/production. Makes you wonder why Watson wasn't considered a generational talent, I mean he came in his rookie year on a bad Texans team and looked pretty damn good from the start. 19 Tds 8 ints in only 6 starts his rookie year. 7 more touchdown passes in 11 less starts than Lawrence. That's wild.

(07-18-2022, 08:25 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 06:41 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I had that feeling as well. Where we differ, is that I attributed that gap in class as him playing in the PAC more than I did him being purely NFL ready(in hindsight I realize he was). The same argument can be made about TL because he played in the ACC but I think with Clemson always being in either the playoff or all the way to the National Championship game against a top team gave me more of a feel for him against top comp. 

(07-18-2022, 06:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: You must watch a lot of college football. How many hours a week would you estimate you spend pouring over game film?

I don't typically watch college football casually. There is a website where you can watch all of a players snaps from whatever game you want, in a short video. Realisticly you could go back and watch every pass Lawrence made in college in less than an hour there. Ironically enough I think the first time I found this website was the year Andrew Luck came out. But that's where I form my opinions on college prospects.

(07-18-2022, 06:41 AM)JagsorDie Wrote: I had that feeling as well. Where we differ, is that I attributed that gap in class as him playing in the PAC more than I did him being purely NFL ready(in hindsight I realize he was). The same argument can be made about TL because he played in the ACC but I think with Clemson always being in either the playoff or all the way to the National Championship game against a top team gave me more of a feel for him against top comp. 

That Clemson team was just as good before he got there with Watson. Infact Watson and Lawrence had very similar numbers/success/production. Makes you wonder why Watson wasn't considered a generational talent, I mean he came in his rookie year on a bad Texans team and looked pretty damn good from the start. 19 Tds 8 ints in only 6 starts his rookie year. 7 more touchdown passes in 11 less starts than Lawrence. That's wild.

What's the website? And if it's just cuts of his throws then what's the playing against children thing? What do you learn about a guy just watching clips of the throws on their own?

(07-18-2022, 08:25 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:

(07-18-2022, 06:54 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: You must watch a lot of college football. How many hours a week would you estimate you spend pouring over game film?

Wrong again.

Houston went 9-7 and they were 1st in the AFC South. They had DeAndre Hopkins on that team. Lamar Miller just had a 1,000 yard season as well. Keep reachin though bud!

(This post was last modified: 07-18-2022, 10:49 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 2 times in total.)

(07-18-2022, 08:41 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 08:25 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I don't typically watch college football casually. There is a website where you can watch all of a players snaps from whatever game you want, in a short video. Realisticly you could go back and watch every pass Lawrence made in college in less than an hour there. Ironically enough I think the first time I found this website was the year Andrew Luck came out. But that's where I form my opinions on college prospects.

What's the website? And if it's just cuts of his throws then what's the playing against children thing? What do you learn about a guy just watching clips of the throws on their own?

I'm wondering about that too (public website detailing every pass from all of the college QBs).

That said, I do agree that Watson didn't get the full respect he deserved in college.

Clemson guy chiming in here. Watson was a great college qb and I never felt like we would lose w him playing QB. He had that “I can put this team on my shoulders” mentality. We were absolutely loaded Watson’s last 2 years and Lawrence’s first 2.

Watson should have been drafted higher than he was, but he went to a much better team in Houston. Ultimately, I expect Lawrence to have a better pro career if he gets the weapons to help him out. And I don’t expect Lawrence to have the embarrassing off the field issues.

(07-18-2022, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 08:25 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I don't typically watch college football casually. There is a website where you can watch all of a players snaps from whatever game you want, in a short video. Realisticly you could go back and watch every pass Lawrence made in college in less than an hour there. Ironically enough I think the first time I found this website was the year Andrew Luck came out. But that's where I form my opinions on college prospects.

Wrong again.

Houston went 9-7 and they were 1st in the AFC South. They had DeAndre Hopkins on that team. Lamar Miller just had a 1,000 yard season as well. Keep reachin though bud!
What am I reaching? That team wasn't good. I'm not comparing it to the absolute dumpster fire we fielded last year, i'm just pointing out that Watson was immediately impressive. You could tell he had it almost immediately as he stepped onto the field.

(07-18-2022, 11:17 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wrong again.

What am I reaching? That team wasn't good. I'm not comparing it to the absolute dumpster fire we fielded last year, i'm just pointing out that Watson was immediately impressive. You could tell he had it almost immediately as he stepped onto the field.

As you can with Lawrence. Well, I guess most people can anyway.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-18-2022, 11:17 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-18-2022, 09:46 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Wrong again.

You're reaching to try to make Lawrence look bad by comparing his rookie year to Watsons.

That Texans team wasn't bad.... They went 9-7 and made the playoffs. That's called "a good team". So when Watson goes to a playoff team, I would assume his play would be better because.... shocker.... The team is better. Lawrence joined the worst team in the league with the worst HC and.... shocker.... they were bad. There is almost no precedent to the season Lawrence had. The only one that comes close is Troy Aikman. A team that was the worst in the league and then hired a rookie college coach and.... another shocker... the Cowboys were bad!