Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big PGA Thread

(08-14-2022, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The driver is my main infirmity. I’ve gotten my irons, and even fairway woods most of the time, to stay somewhat straight. My driver lacks any sort of consistency. My tendency is not so much a slice, but a push fade. I struggle getting the face closed in time, and it’s not by much. Then I over correct and start hooking or even pulling. It’s all mental, as is 95% of golf. Something about that long club convinces me I can’t get it around in time. On occasion I’ll get a small streak going where it’s consistent and I realize I just need to slow my tempo and relax. It never lasts. Stupid game.

I know it might sound dumb, but you'd be better off putting a 3 wood shaft into that driver.  You'll lose a couple of feet in distance but make up for it with accuracy from the shorter shaft.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(08-15-2022, 07:41 PM)captivating Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The driver is my main infirmity. I’ve gotten my irons, and even fairway woods most of the time, to stay somewhat straight. My driver lacks any sort of consistency. My tendency is not so much a slice, but a push fade. I struggle getting the face closed in time, and it’s not by much. Then I over correct and start hooking or even pulling. It’s all mental, as is 95% of golf. Something about that long club convinces me I can’t get it around in time. On occasion I’ll get a small streak going where it’s consistent and I realize I just need to slow my tempo and relax. It never lasts. Stupid game.

I know it might sound dumb, but you'd be better off putting a 3 wood shaft into that driver.  You'll lose a couple of feet in distance but make up for it with accuracy from the shorter shaft.

I've actually considered having the shaft shortened but my obstinance won't allow it.

(08-16-2022, 05:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-15-2022, 07:41 PM)captivating Wrote: I know it might sound dumb, but you'd be better off putting a 3 wood shaft into that driver.  You'll lose a couple of feet in distance but make up for it with accuracy from the shorter shaft.

I've actually considered having the shaft shortened but my obstinance won't allow it.

More loft usually helps, too.

The Golf Channel used to rebroadcast current PGA tournaments in the evening. Now they're showing Korn Ferry golf. WTH.

(08-15-2022, 07:41 PM)captivating Wrote:

I hit my driver better than any other club.  It has a 55 gram shaft, and 12 degrees of loft.  The weird thing is, the harder I swing, the better I hit it.  I'm taking such a long back swing with it that I can see the head out of the corner of my eye when I start my down swing.  When I have a problem with it is when I decelerate and close the club face, which results in a low pull-draw to the left.  But I have so much confidence with my driver, I just hit it without any swing thoughts at all.  

BUT, the closer I get to the green, the worse I get.  My irons are pathetic.  I can miss a green with a wedge from 80 yards.  Really bad.  

And the reason for all this is because for the last several years, on the driving range, I get so frustrated with my irons that I gravitate to the clubs I hit well, which is the driver and the longer fairway clubs.  So I wind up practicing the things I already do well, and neglecting the things I do poorly.

(08-19-2022, 06:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-15-2022, 07:41 PM)captivating Wrote: I know it might sound dumb, but you'd be better off putting a 3 wood shaft into that driver.  You'll lose a couple of feet in distance but make up for it with accuracy from the shorter shaft.

I hit my driver better than any other club.  It has a 55 gram shaft, and 12 degrees of loft.  The weird thing is, the harder I swing, the better I hit it.  I'm taking such a long back swing with it that I can see the head out of the corner of my eye when I start my down swing.  When I have a problem with it is when I decelerate and close the club face, which results in a low pull-draw to the left.  But I have so much confidence with my driver, I just hit it without any swing thoughts at all.  

BUT, the closer I get to the green, the worse I get.  My irons are pathetic.  I can miss a green with a wedge from 80 yards.  Really bad.  

And the reason for all this is because for the last several years, on the driving range, I get so frustrated with my irons that I gravitate to the clubs I hit well, which is the driver and the longer fairway clubs.  So I wind up practicing the things I already do well, and neglecting the things I do poorly.

Interesting how we amateurs have such a variety of obstacles. 

I've (finally) figured out how to be fairly accurate with 8 iron down through the wedges for anything inside 140 yards. 
This is easily foiled with a bad lie or stance however. 

It's the longer irons that give me fits these days.
Lately my fix has been to club up and swing extra easy - like a really relaxed practice swing - to get these 150-200 yard approaches near or on the the green instead of a greater chance of mishit when I swing full bore. 
If I could dial in my 5, 6 and 7 irons, I think I'd shave 5 strokes from a typical round. 

If I hit my driver without any swing thought it would sail 40 right of the fairway every time, LOL. 
I still have to mentally counter my outside-in tendency with at least 4 swing thoughts on every drive.

If you do twitter, this guy is a great follow for golf difficulty perspective:

https://twitter.com/LouStagner/status/15...ae1u6HmCMg

(08-19-2022, 02:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 06:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I hit my driver better than any other club.  It has a 55 gram shaft, and 12 degrees of loft.  The weird thing is, the harder I swing, the better I hit it.  I'm taking such a long back swing with it that I can see the head out of the corner of my eye when I start my down swing.  When I have a problem with it is when I decelerate and close the club face, which results in a low pull-draw to the left.  But I have so much confidence with my driver, I just hit it without any swing thoughts at all.  

Interesting how we amateurs have such a variety of obstacles. 

I've (finally) figured out how to be fairly accurate with 8 iron down through the wedges for anything inside 140 yards. 

Lately my fix has been to club up and swing extra easy - like a really relaxed practice swing - to get these 150-200 yard approaches near or on the the green instead of a greater chance of mishit when I swing full bore. 
If I could dial in my 5, 6 and 7 irons, I think I'd shave 5 strokes from a typical round. 

If I hit my driver without any swing thought it would sail 40 right of the fairway every time, LOL. 
I still have to mentally counter my outside-in tendency with at least 4 swing thoughts on every drive.

I think almost every guy I play with (including me) should follow your lead and club up on approach shots.  I see so many guys (including me) who shoot in the 80s or 90s who, if they miss the green, are most often short.  It's because most of us tend to think we're going to make a perfect swing and hit our best shot, but that only happens about 10% of the time, at least in my group with my golfing buddies.  We were talking about it the other day.  Someone asked me, "Do you ever hit an approach shot over the green?"  And I had to answer, no, most of my misses are short.

(08-16-2022, 05:03 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

My wife said the same thing about me.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(08-20-2022, 06:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 02:18 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Interesting how we amateurs have such a variety of obstacles. 

I think almost every guy I play with (including me) should follow your lead and club up on approach shots.  I see so many guys (including me) who shoot in the 80s or 90s who, if they miss the green, are most often short.  It's because most of us tend to think we're going to make a perfect swing and hit our best shot, but that only happens about 10% of the time, at least in my group with my golfing buddies.  We were talking about it the other day.  Someone asked me, "Do you ever hit an approach shot over the green?"  And I had to answer, no, most of my misses are short.

Barring any hazard short of the green, short is a much better miss than long usually.  Now, if you club up a touch and swing easy and make solid contact, chances are you'll just hit the center/back center of the green and not fly it over, but the safer/defensive miss is technically short in most scenarios.

I was playing the other day and noticed that my clubs have numbers on them.  What do those mean?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-20-2022, 08:46 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I was playing the other day and noticed that my clubs have numbers on them.  What do those mean?

And a few have letters. It some kind of filing system, I think.

(08-20-2022, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-20-2022, 08:46 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I was playing the other day and noticed that my clubs have numbers on them.  What do those mean?

Some golf pro told me long ago that you use them in ascending order as you get closer to the pin. Except for that one golf pro who only used the 7, McAvoy I think he was called?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-20-2022, 09:24 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Sounds complicated.

The old names were a lot cooler- mashie, niblick, spoon, cleek, etc.

"What club did you hit?"
"Spoon."

https://jimfuryk.com/names-of-old-golf-clubs/

(08-20-2022, 12:07 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: The old names were a lot cooler- mashie, niblick, spoon, cleek, etc. 

"What club did you hit?" 
"Spoon." 

https://jimfuryk.com/names-of-old-golf-clubs/

Oh I call my clubs names all the time.

(08-19-2022, 02:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If you do twitter, this guy is a great follow for golf difficulty perspective:

What in Holy Hades is this picture?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(08-21-2022, 09:20 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(08-19-2022, 02:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If you do twitter, this guy is a great follow for golf difficulty perspective:

What in Holy Hades is this picture?

Popular meme image circulating like mad currently

(08-21-2022, 09:34 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-21-2022, 09:20 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: What in Holy Hades is this picture?

Popular meme image circulating like mad currently

It looks a little like Hailey Beiber?