Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Big PGA Thread

Apologies if another thread exists on this that isn't for a specific tournament, if so, will merge. 

Just figured, outside of the majors with dedicated threads, we could comment here on general PGA happenings.

Finau's hot streak right now, while brief, is very impressive. https://twitter.com/1010xljoec/status/15...rXIYNi-F0w

He and Scheffler are big come up stories this year IMO

(Cam Smith too)

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I sure hope this gives him the confidence going forward to close out a tournament. Prior to last week he was 0-5 with a 54 hole lead.

So many guys have come and gone in the past few years with these hot streaks. It's almost never a permanent breakthrough. The guys on the Golf Channel will say they are going to dominate the tour, but they always cool off and slip back into the pack. It makes you realize how incredible Tiger Woods was. Other guys get on a hot streak that lasts 6 months. Tiger got on a hot streak that lasted about 10 years.

Who do you guys like at the St. Jude? I'm expecting string weekends from Morikawa, JT, Hovland, and willy Z.

(08-10-2022, 10:56 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Who do you guys like at the St. Jude? I'm expecting string weekends from Morikawa, JT, Hovland, and willy Z.

Morikawa and Holland are safe bets lately.  I'm with you there. 

I'd roll the dice on Shaufelle and McIlroy getting hot as well.

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2022, 07:24 AM by The Real Marty.)

As of this morning, after 2 rounds, Tony Finau is projected at 5th in the Fedex Cup standings. Wouldn't that be something if he won the Fedex Cup?  Such a likeable guy.

(08-13-2022, 07:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: As of this morning, after 2 rounds, Tony Finau is projected at 5th in the Fedex Cup standings. Wouldn't that be something if he won the Fedex Cup?  Such a likeable guy.

He is a likable guy. I enjoy rooting for him when he's in contention. 

For any slicers out there, the bit he did in golf digest a few years ago about fixing his slice is pretty cool. I think there's some video out there too on it. 
https://www.golfdigest.com/story/slice-proof-swing

I’ve been following Finau since he was on those gimmicky little challenge shows on the Golf channel. You could tell then he had the makings of a tour pro.

You don’t want to mimic his backswing. Not that we could. It still amazes me how he and Rahm can create so much power with such little movement.

(08-14-2022, 11:01 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I’ve been following Finau since he was on those gimmicky little challenge shows on the Golf channel. You could tell then he had the makings of a tour pro.

You don’t want to mimic his backswing. Not that we could. It still amazes me how he and Rahm can create so much power with such little movement.

It's an abbreviated take away to be sure.

I've heard folks say that the last 20% of the downswing is where you create the most speed, and those two are living proof.

Release is where the majority of club head speed is generated. South African golfers seem to understand this better than anyone with their languid swings and long distances. It’s all in the hips and legs with powerless arms and loose wrists.

(08-14-2022, 11:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Release is where the majority of club head speed is generated. South African golfers seem to understand this better than anyone with their languid swings and long distances. It’s all in the hips and legs with powerless arms and loose wrists.

I stated that poorly. What I meant was - that last 20% before (and just after) impact is where the increase occurs most exponentially in pro golfer's swings. 
It is certainly being generated by a combination of things as you stated. 

Since the club head picks up most of its increase in speed down near the ball,  exceptional players can eliminate some of that motion at the top and still achieve this increase. 

Alternately - Most of us mere mortals lose 25% of our distance when we chop off the top 30% of our backswing.

The driver is my main infirmity. I’ve gotten my irons, and even fairway woods most of the time, to stay somewhat straight. My driver lacks any sort of consistency. My tendency is not so much a slice, but a push fade. I struggle getting the face closed in time, and it’s not by much. Then I over correct and start hooking or even pulling. It’s all mental, as is 95% of golf. Something about that long club convinces me I can’t get it around in time. On occasion I’ll get a small streak going where it’s consistent and I realize I just need to slow my tempo and relax. It never lasts. Stupid game.

(08-14-2022, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The driver is my main infirmity. I’ve gotten my irons, and even fairway woods most of the time, to stay somewhat straight. My driver lacks any sort of consistency. My tendency is not so much a slice, but a push fade. I struggle getting the face closed in time, and it’s not by much. Then I over correct and start hooking or even pulling. It’s all mental, as is 95% of golf. Something about that long club convinces me I can’t get it around in time. On occasion I’ll get a small streak going where it’s consistent and I realize I just need to slow my tempo and relax. It never lasts. Stupid game.

Can relate.

Between Driver, Irons, Short Game/wedges and Putting I usually have at least one not working on a given day. 

Lately it's irons that are most inconsistent.  I can still manage "bogey golf" if one of the four elements is bad that day, but if it's two of four , uuuuuggggghhhhh

When they are all basically functioning well with just the occasional bad shot, it gets fun.
 That's probably 10% of my rounds   
Laughing

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2022, 06:57 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

Is Will Zalatoris going to be able to finally put one away?

He did it but now without a fair amount of drama.

(08-14-2022, 01:50 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: The driver is my main infirmity. I’ve gotten my irons, and even fairway woods most of the time, to stay somewhat straight. My driver lacks any sort of consistency. My tendency is not so much a slice, but a push fade. I struggle getting the face closed in time, and it’s not by much. Then I over correct and start hooking or even pulling. It’s all mental, as is 95% of golf. Something about that long club convinces me I can’t get it around in time. On occasion I’ll get a small streak going where it’s consistent and I realize I just need to slow my tempo and relax. It never lasts. Stupid game.

Same.
My irons and wegdes are money.  lately I’ve grown comfortable with everything except my driver. The days my driver is on, I can push low 80’s. When it is off, I will be lucky to keep it at bogey golf. I’ve always had a bit of a slice with my drives. But lately it seems like the only way to solve it is to speed up my swing and get my club face closed which is a double edged sword. Because when I muscle up and make good contact it’s a bomb, but if that face stays open it’s [BLEEP] gone.

(08-14-2022, 06:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Is Will Zalatoris going to be able to finally put one away?

Interesting finish. 

When Zalatoris' ball nestled between a rock and a fringe place I swear I saw Straka smirk a bit. 

In response I murmured "he thinks he's got this, watch him hit it in the water"

LOL

In the end it was his shot from the drop area (into the bunker) that killed his chance.

(This post was last modified: 08-14-2022, 09:45 PM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(08-14-2022, 09:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 06:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Is Will Zalatoris going to be able to finally put one away?

Interesting finish. 

When Zalatoris' ball nestled between a rock and a fringe place I swear I saw Straka smirk a bit. 

LOL

In the end it was his shot from the drop area (into the bunker) that killed his chance.

Straka had it. That young man learned a big lesson today. He'll never make that mistake again and I have no doubt he'll be hoisting a trophy next season, if not this one. He's a good golfer and reminds me of Els. 

Zalatoris made a wise decision picking up his ball. Had he attempted from that lie, he had the option of either not hitting it square or hard enough and having the ball rebound off the turf edge and into the water or smashing it and sending into the bunker with Straka, or even further. I have to hand it to him for keeping his cool and using his head.  It's counterintuitive to pick up a ball 15 feet from the hole and walk it back 90 yards.

Will finally did it! Won me a $1000 as well.

(08-14-2022, 09:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 09:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Interesting finish. 

LOL

Straka had it. That young man learned a big lesson today. He'll never make that mistake again and I have no doubt he'll be hoisting a trophy next season, if not this one. He's a good golfer and reminds me of Els. 

Zalatoris made a wise decision picking up his ball. Had he attempted from that lie, he had the option of either not hitting it square or hard enough and having the ball rebound off the turf edge and into the water or smashing it and sending into the bunker with Straka, or even further. I have to hand it to him for keeping his cool and using his head.  It's counterintuitive to pick up a ball 15 feet from the hole and walk it back 90 yards.

I'm glad his caddie talked him out of it, and I was surprised it took him that long to make that decision.  It seemed pretty obvious to me that he could not possibly play that shot without his ball going back into the water.

If Zalatoris has indeed learned to putt better, as the commentators kept saying, he could be a real threat to win this whole thing.  He has to gather himself and get over this first win, though.

(08-15-2022, 05:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(08-14-2022, 09:44 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Straka had it. That young man learned a big lesson today. He'll never make that mistake again and I have no doubt he'll be hoisting a trophy next season, if not this one. He's a good golfer and reminds me of Els. 

I'm glad his caddie talked him out of it, and I was surprised it took him that long to make that decision.  It seemed pretty obvious to me that he could not possibly play that shot without his ball going back into the water.

If Zalatoris has indeed learned to putt better, as the commentators kept saying, he could be a real threat to win this whole thing.  He has to gather himself and get over this first win, though.

Thant and he has to get more consistently accurate with the driver. There's days where he hits seeds down the middle but then also days like yesterday where he can't find a single fairway. His irons are the best in the game though.