Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote:They also passed Patrick Willis and Derrelle Revis

So they passed on Peterson, Willis & Revis.....

Tell me again why the Arizona front office was so highly regarded??? :wacko: 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Alualu has 1 year left on his contract, stop reaching most of his salary has already been paid.

His contract expires after the 2015 season so going into the offseason he had three years left.

;

;

Quote:Well because you know, drafting an OL in the first round just makes your team an instant contender. Arizona knows just like the Jags and where is he now and where are they now? Sucksville. These organizations are the envy of the league you know.

Then again,   if you knew the Jaguars could get another Tony Boselli in Round 1,    unless there's an extraordinary player at a select amount of other positions,   it would be very difficult to pass on a Boselli like LT.      Even if the selection doesn't turn the team immediately around,   in the long run a true blue chip LT can be a differential factor for many seasons.     The problem in this case is the Cardinals took an Offensive Tackle in Levi Brown that never came close to reminding anyone of Boselli.

Quote:His contract expires after the 2015 season so going into the offseason he had three years left.

I thought it was 2014? Fine two years then, point still stands we had plenty of cap space to absorb the hit if we wanted to upgrade the position. Even if you kept Alualu and still brought in DE help we'd be better off.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:They also passed Patrick Willis and Derrelle Revis

Very good point.   

As differential as Ted Ginn Jr. has been on Special Teams returns,    I have no idea what the Dolphins were thinking when they took Ginn instead of Patrick Willis with pick # 9 of that draft.

Quote:Very good point.   

As differential as Ted Ginn Jr. has been on Special Teams returns,    I have no idea what the Dolphins were thinking when they took Ginn instead of Patrick Willis with pick # 9 of that draft.

Whats funny is they got blasted for taking Ginn because they passed on Brady Quinn.

;

;

Quote:Whats funny is they got blasted for taking Ginn because they passed on Brady Quinn.

True,   I forgot about that.    I now recall that the Dolphins had an outdoor draft party and the reaction by their fans when they passed on Brady Quinn was not one of the better days for the Dolphins organization.

From my perspective following that draft,   I was surprised that Patrick Willis didn't go into the top 10 of the Draft.     It was a mistake by a number of teams not valuing the Inside LB position enough when a differential talent like Willis was available.

Quote:Then again,   if you knew the Jaguars could get another Tony Boselli in Round 1,    unless there's an extraordinary player at a select amount of other positions,   it would be very difficult to pass on a Boselli like LT.      Even if the selection doesn't turn the team immediately around,   in the long run a true blue chip LT can be a differential factor for many seasons.     The problem in this case is the Cardinals took an Offensive Tackle in Levi Brown that never came close to reminding anyone of Boselli.
I'm sorry but just because Pillsbury is the same race as Boselli doesn't make him like him. Try harder. There will never be another Boselli and to even search for one is useless. Again just having a solid guy is enough. Boselli is that world beater. And LT isn't important enough to be spending top 5 picks on trying to find his reincarnation.

A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

I have no idea what anyone is really arguing about here, but if someone is claiming cutting Alualu, Babin, Rackley, and Meester would be too cost prohibitive - they are dead wrong.

Babin, Meester, and Rackley combined would account for $300,000 in dead money.  Alualu would only be 3 million.  Rackley and Meester are cheap so it makes no sense to get rid of them until you find better.  Alualu's contract isn't overly burdensome.  I think it was worth a trial run on him at DE.  We would save a small amount of money on the cap by cutting him next season. Cutting Babin would mean an immediate savings of 6 million with no dead money.  He's gone after this season.  

Quote:I'm sorry but just because Pillsbury is the same race as Boselli doesn't make him like him. Try harder. There will never be another Boselli and to even search for one is useless. Again just having a solid guy is enough. Boselli is that world beater. And LT isn't important enough to be spending top 5 picks on trying to find his reincarnation.

I doubt the Ravens have any regrets for drafting Jonathan Ogden with pick # 4 in 1996 and I doubt the Rams have any regrets for trading up to pick # 1 in order to draft Orlando Pace in 1997.     With Pace in place at the critical LT position,   Mike Martz'  Offense functioned better than at any other time the coach was part of the NFL. 

Quote:You know you've lost the debate when your only responses are weak attempts at personal attacks on what I might or might not do in a hypothetical situation.

Everything you've said so far is based on a hypothetical situation.  I mean, it's great that you think you'd have done so much better; that's a really unique viewpoint to find on the internet and all. 

But you have no idea what the Jags would look like right now if they'd done exactly what you describe.   You have no idea whether keeping the players you described would have lead to a better team right now, much less a better team 3 years from now. 

What we do know is that team produced 2 wins and needed massive changes.  And evidently that you would have done it differently.  Great, thanks for the info. 

Quote:I doubt the Ravens have any regrets for drafting Jonathan Ogden with pick # 4 in 1996 and I doubt the Rams have any regrets for trading up to pick # 1 in order to draft Orlando Pace in 1997.     With Pace in place at the critical LT position,   Mike Martz'  Offense functioned better than at any other time the coach was part of the NFL. 
Meh. That defense led Baltimore to their first SB and Flacco + defense combination led them to another. And Rams had a QB. All those things the Jags have never had. You could argue Brunnell but hey. Without that QB you could have an OL full of pro bowlers and still be 0-4. Apparently that's what the true fans want. An OL full of top 5 picks. Thats how it's done boys!

A True Fan ladies and gentlemen:
(11-12-2018, 07:02 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Ramsey for Grier straight up

Quote:1.) No it's not a different argument, we created a need in the secondary instead of addressing the lack of Pass Rush.

2.) Yes a starting CB getting $22 Million isn't crazy

3.) Shut down corners are myths it's a passing league, you need a secondary that can tackle, you have to get to the QB to stop the air game today. The above mentioned are more then capable of making the stop and preventing the YAC not to mention Cox had a nose for INT's. Keep in mind Lowery and Landry would've meant we didn't NEED to draft Cyprien in the 2nd, plenty of other positions we could've addressed.

4.) I'm not recommending the cuts of anyone, I'm pointing out we keep "upgrading" every position but the one's of biggest need.

Not to mention our defense last year through 4 games gave up 97 points with one victory while this year's defense through 4 games have given up 129  points. That doesn't smell like upgrade to me.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

Lets fire the guy before he has a chance!  Lets all jump to conclusions. 

I would love to see the Jaguars become a playoff contender in a couple years.  I will bookmark this and point out everyone that just railed against him.

I'm not saying he is going to be an amazing GM, heck, he could be Gene Smith all over again....but to react like this so quickly is beyond me.  Then again, its par for the course for the mb.

Quote:Not to mention our defense last year through 4 games gave up 97 points with one victory while this year's defense through 4 games have given up 129  points. That doesn't smell like upgrade to me.

Regards....................the Chiefjag

That's because our offense is giving their team more time with the ball.

Furthermore, that's a different 4 game stretch.  There was a 4 game stretch last year where our opponents scored 123 points.  Schedule also plays a part.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Perhaps you didn't read all the posts about how we can find a RT in the 4th round or later, even UDFA. That's what I'm replying to.

It is also common knowledge we are going to have to replace Rackley, Meester and Nwaneri as well. They can't all come from the 2nd or 3rd round.

Regards......................the Chiefjag

Or the 4th, 5th round or free agency...  Or other picks we acquire.  The book has not been written.  Great thing about life, surprises.  So yeah, 10 picks next year, free agency with more moves to come.  So we can get all of the above.  Next.

Quote:This sums it up.

Yea, but we have to have guys that can play, which means if Luke is a step down then Caldwell can't evaluate talent.

As of right now, effectively we have just traded Eugene for Ace Sanders and Denard Robinson.

Quote:No the problem is we upgraded the positions that where ok for the time being and ignored the real positions of need

But we weren't okay.  Reports were Eugene was soft and did not do well in zone blocking which they want to do.  They didn't just trade him for the sake of it.  How do we get real positions of need?  Draft picks.  It won't be ignored.

Quote:Yea, but we have to have guys that can play, which means if Luke is a step down then Caldwell can't evaluate talent.

As of right now, effectively we have just traded Eugene for Ace Sanders and Denard Robinson.

Almost.  You cannot ignore the 10m dollars per year we didn't give him by letting him walk.  That 10m dollars will be used on other players.  That can easily be a RT and a OG in FA, for instance.  Then you can factor in the two draft picks.

So, the money alone can replace the tackle, and you grabbed 3 other players in the process.

Quote:Meh. That defense led Baltimore to their first SB and Flacco + defense combination led them to another. And Rams had a QB. All those things the Jags have never had. You could argue Brunnell but hey. Without that QB you could have an OL full of pro bowlers and still be 0-4. Apparently that's what the true fans want. An OL full of top 5 picks. Thats how it's done boys!

The Rams had a QB.   However,   in Mike Martz'  Offense,   the Tackles are usually on an island by themselves.    With 7 step drops for the QB the norm.    If not for Orlando Pace,    there wouldn't have been a '  Greatest Show on Turf'.    Even with HOF RB Marshall Faulk and very good overall skill players.

If not for the late season decision by John Harbaugh and Jim Caldwell to move Bryant McKinnie into the starting LT spot,   with the reshuffling of some other pieces of the Ravens Offensive Line,    I doubt they would have even come close to winning last season's Super Bowl.    McKinnie got out of shape again since then and hence the trade for Eugene Monroe.    Yet,  when in shape and focused,   McKinnie made his teams much better than an ordinary LT would have.