Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

(08-30-2022, 10:40 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(08-30-2022, 10:17 AM)Mikey Wrote: That's precisely the point. If Meyer was so dang clueless
AND we have it on record that Meyer was given authority over the roster
it's a bit of a stretch to lay the blame squarely on Baalke's shoulders as you did.

(which was the entire premise of the question to begin this thread)

So a guy who knew pretty much nothing about the NFL somehow the decided to bring Marvin Jones, Ward, Manhertz RRH, Jenkins, Griffin and Agnew?

[Image: giphy.gif]

Obviously Hyde, Dorsett and the others were his guys but the others... 
Also the draft was obviously mostly not Meyer (who was also probably clueless about players there too except Ohio St guys), we know Baalke has a thing for players who have had injuries but whatever

BTW I never said it was all Baalke's fault but the most important FA's were. Meyer guys were cheap and old (Dorsett, Hyde).

why does it have to be one or the other? Do you not believe that coach and GM debate whether or not to sign players that the scouting team has scouted? You fully agree that Meyer was ignorant about players, citing the Aaron Donald story. So why is it so hard to believe that he wouldn't have nixed a few players that Baalke may have liked, yet we did NOT sign? What if Baalke only pulled players to consider based on Meyer's prescribed desire for how he wanted the roster formed, especially considering that the owner specifically stated that Meyer would have significant influence as to the makeup of his team?

Not saying that any of those possibilities are fact, but I'm also not going to foolishly think that the GM was operating in any sort of vacuum as you seem to be doing.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What is the excuse for blowing it on being first on the waiver wire last year?

Time to turn the page and watch for the best.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

He will get this year to prove himself.

(08-30-2022, 09:00 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-29-2022, 02:42 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: Meyer had input with the FAs?  The guy who didn't know who A. Donald is? He only brought his guys,  the others were on Baalke.

hogwash.
Quote:Jaguars management has stressed that Urban Meyer will be the key decision-maker, above anyone else. Team owner Shad Khan said so himself when he introduced Meyer last week.

“We’re going to be carrying out, obviously, Urban’s vision of the team and the kind of players we want,” said Khan on Friday, as quoted by the Jaguars’ official website.

(08-29-2022, 03:31 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: 1) Ballke (and maybe Meyer) made the picks, which they presumed had NFL level talent
2) Meyer 'coached' them (I use that term loosely) to underwhelming results.
3) Pederson takes over and begins coaching them to what Meyer and Baalke originally saw as their NFL level ability

Conclusion: they weren't inherently talentless picks when selected, they just played that way because of inept coaching.

To me, this is Logic 101.  What am I missing?

You forgot to demand FULL CONSISTENCY.

Below is a quote of a couple of paragraphs from the article you linked above that some may find informative.

It’s important to note that the nucleus of the 2012 49ers Super Bowl team was actually assembled by Baalke’s predecessor, Scott McCloughan. This includes players such as Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree. However, Baalke was responsible for bringing in Colin Kaepernick and Aldon Smith in the 2011 draft.

His next few drafts didn’t go nearly as well. Of his 61 draft picks between 2011 and 2015, only three — Aldon Smith, Eric Reid, and DeForest Buckner — have made the Pro Bowl. One of those picks, Chris Borland, famously retired after only one season.

Baalke I'm sorry. I love you.

(09-20-2022, 02:35 PM)Jagsman Wrote: Baalke I'm sorry. I love you.

LOL

He's looking smarter and smarter at the moment. 

Meet you here next week for potential backlash.

Rarely is it only the GM that has success in drafting. I know he takes the hit when things go bad, but like the game itself it is a team/organization effort. I believe right after he took over he wiped the scouting team and rebuilt it from scratch. That is pretty close to the draft so the new scouts were under the gun. Then we get Urban ... not sure how much of a partner that guy was. This draft he had Peterson as a partner and I do hope we have hit gold with this duo working together. early returns look very good from where I sit.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(08-30-2022, 06:19 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(08-30-2022, 09:00 AM)Mikey Wrote: hogwash.

You forgot to demand FULL CONSISTENCY.

Below is a quote of a couple of paragraphs from the article you linked above that some may find informative.

It’s important to note that the nucleus of the 2012 49ers Super Bowl team was actually assembled by Baalke’s predecessor, Scott McCloughan. This includes players such as Patrick Willis, Vernon Davis, and Michael Crabtree. However, Baalke was responsible for bringing in Colin Kaepernick and Aldon Smith in the 2011 draft.

His next few drafts didn’t go nearly as well. Of his 61 draft picks between 2011 and 2015, only three — Aldon Smith, Eric Reid, and DeForest Buckner — have made the Pro Bowl. One of those picks, Chris Borland, famously retired after only one season.

Take a closer look at two players on that list: Kapernick and Reid. 2 SJW malcontents who helped divide that 49er team. He won't make that mistake here.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Baalke>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DC

In the NFL, you are what your record says you are.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

Just win baby

(This post was last modified: 09-21-2022, 06:03 AM by NH3. Edited 1 time in total.)

WELL, Well, well. What do we have here? Jaguar Fans that formally wanted Crucifixion but now are Sallivating over Baalke. O.K. Sallivating may be a bit much but I'm sure that we get the picture. I've said this over and over, "Let the Man do his job".

Baalke has Never had complete control of the roster until now. Even at this point he, Baalke takes the advice (to which he should) of Pederson and Co. but truly has the final say w/respect to the player personnel selections whether it's Drafting and or FAs. See the Total Revamping of the LBers.

The combination of Baalke and Pederson has So Much potential in My Opinion that it's Freak Night Scary Good, (Halloween is near Y'all). Our roster, in just one off season has truly paid dividends so imagine the nucleus of the Jaguars three years down the road headed to the... Ummm My Bad, I got carried away. Literally.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

He will have some tough decisions this offseason imo.

I'm ok with wait and see now, I was formally crucify crowd.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

When he was retained... stuck with wait and see. Open check book and spending money helps. OLine could be better. First all him draft is okay at game 2. I want the team to be successful and wouldn't root for destruction for the purpose of being rid of him.

Still wouldn't cry over replacement.
The Khan Years

His track record gave people every right to bash him. He burned lots of bridges and was a coach killer who had some truly awful drafts.

However, he may have changed so the perception of him can change. The Walker pick looks great. Cautiously optimistic. Snakes sometimes wait in the grass….

Wouldn’t it be hilarious if the vocal movement to fire Baalke is actually what kept him here? I mean, if Shad had fired him after the clown game, wouldn’t that have just invited the rabble rabble crowd to orchestrate a movement any time that portion of the fan base wanted something to happen?

(09-21-2022, 03:45 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Wouldn’t it be hilarious if the vocal movement to fire Baalke is actually what kept him here?  I mean, if Shad had fired him after the clown game, wouldn’t that have just invited the rabble rabble crowd to orchestrate a movement any time that portion of the fan base wanted something to happen?

Wouldn't it be funny if the coach hired embarrassed the organization and the GM was involved in a historically bad season. It is hilarious that one winning season in the Shad Khan error and yet the fans that are discontented over the state of the franchise are the problem and not the people ruining it. Much much patience has been demonstrated by the fan base. It is one win....   wouldn't it be great if the team made progress first before we whiz on fans that didn't like baalke.

And I am just using your post to make my point of how long we have been suffering while they fiddled with the reigns of the franchise. I have no ill will towards anyone posting on these forums. Honestly there aren't many of us anymore and it is nice to have this message board.
The Khan Years

(09-21-2022, 03:53 PM)MoJagFan Wrote:
(09-21-2022, 03:45 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Wouldn’t it be hilarious if the vocal movement to fire Baalke is actually what kept him here?  I mean, if Shad had fired him after the clown game, wouldn’t that have just invited the rabble rabble crowd to orchestrate a movement any time that portion of the fan base wanted something to happen?

Wouldn't it be funny if the coach hired embarrassed the organization and the GM was involved in a historically bad season. It is hilarious that one winning season in the Shad Khan error and yet the fans that are discontented over the state of the franchise are the problem and not the people ruining it. Much much patience has been demonstrated by the fan base. It is one win....   wouldn't it be great if the team made progress first before we whiz on fans that didn't like baalke.

And I am just using your post to make my point of how long we have been suffering while they fiddled with the reigns of the franchise. I have no ill will towards anyone posting on these forums. Honestly there aren't many of us anymore and it is nice to have this message board.

You gonna be alright?

Yeah I sorta regret going to the bathroom in his pool. Not the pee but maybe the floater a little bit. He should get a higher, more secure fence.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.