Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

Quote: 

I would love to see the Jaguars become a playoff contender in a couple years. 

.. exactly, just look at the Pirates.  A couple of bad years and now they are hosting playoff games.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Or the 4th, 5th round or free agency...  Or other picks we acquire.  The book has not been written.  Great thing about life, surprises.  So yeah, 10 picks next year, free agency with more moves to come.  So we can get all of the above.  Next.

It's quite clear then we're almost forced to spend nearly all of our draft picks and/or FA acquisitions on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm not against this trade, but I'm with some of the others in thinking some of the positions we had filled were filled with capable players which are now creating needs elsewhere.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

Quote:But we weren't okay.  Reports were Eugene was soft and did not do well in zone blocking

Quite henestly, I'm so indifferent about the trade, it just doesn't matter to me.   What scares me the most is our OC and offensive line coaching.   I have a feeling they are in over their heads.

Quote:.. exactly, just look at the Pirates.  A couple of bad years and now they are hosting playoff games.  

Yep,

You just have to hit those high draft picks, the Pirates have with Garrit Cole, Andrew Mccutchen, Pedro Alvarez etc. Got to take advantage when you're drafting at the top.

I'm just kinda "meh" about the trade.  I do know I see monroe get abused more then a couple of times this season.  Mathis destoryed him last week

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:It's quite clear then we're almost forced to spend nearly all of our draft picks and/or FA acquisitions on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm not against this trade, but I'm with some of the others in thinking some of the positions we had filled were filled with capable players which are now creating needs elsewhere.

And the 2nd sentence is a fair point.  You valued these players more then the GM Caldwell does.  Caldwell probably isn't looking at it from a fans perspective.  He is doing what he thinks is best for the team long term.  As fans, it is hard to think in those terms.  Now, that doesn't mean Caldwell will be successful in the rebuild.  He could fail (I won't say as bad as Gene because it is literally hard to be that bad).  

1st sentence I don't agree with.  Again, there is so much that can happen from now until next off season.  Caldwell took over an awful team.  Yes, we are still awful, but he made no qualms that his would be a rebuild from the ground up.  It has been just that.  And he is of the philosophy from what we can tell that is tearing it all the way down to the ground and rebuilding from a flat foundation.  I think the logic is sound.  The execution we will have to wait and see.   Ultimately, you have to hit on your picks and make smart free agency moves which this franchise hasn't done in a while.  

Quote:It's quite clear then we're almost forced to spend nearly all of our draft picks and/or FA acquisitions on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm not sure how you came up with that.  In many of the skill positions we are set.  A few offensive lineman, a qb, and a rb is what we need.  That can be done through the draft and FA.  I dont think that means we cant sign defensive players.

Plus, if you give them a break and keep them off the field for a bit...the defense gets better.

Quote:Yep,

You just have to hit those high draft picks, the Pirates have with Garrit Cole, Andrew Mccutchen, Pedro Alvarez etc. Got to take advantage when you're drafting at the top.
Exactly.

Hopefully Caldwell can string together some nice darft classes and we should be in good shape. :yes:

60% of the time, It works Everytime...

[Image: BS5hg.jpg][Image: m5Lb.jpg][Image: 5YnyA.jpg][Image: U2VW7.jpg]

Quote:Quite henestly, I'm so indifferent about the trade, it just doesn't matter to me.   What scares me the most is our OC and offensive line coaching.   I have a feeling they are in over their heads.

Well, I honestly don't know so hard to have an opinion on it.  Will be interesting to see the line this week.  They will face some pretty good pass rushers.  

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 06:15 PM by LMD.)

Quote:But we weren't okay. Reports were Eugene was soft and did not do well in zone blocking which they want to do. They didn't just trade him for the sake of it. How do we get real positions of need? Draft picks. It won't be ignored.

Not to be a jerk, but this is the first I'm hearing of these "reports" about how soft Monroe is and how he struggled with the new scheme. Are there any sources from before the trade saying either of these?
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Quote:Not to be a jerk, but this is the first I'm hearing of these "reports" about how soft Monroe is and how he struggled with the new scheme. Are there any sources from before the trade saying either of these?

It was the first I heard of them as well.  It was tweeted by Mark Long ‏@APMarkLong 9m 
Did not expect to hear anyone call Eugene Monroe soft, but it happened. He just wasn't mean & physical enough for zone scheme.

Based on that tweet, it seems as though Eugene could have been a Jag next year had he performed better.  If they had no intentions of keeping him then I think they would have traded him before or right after the draft.  

Old saying...." A new broom sweeps clean."

Pretty much applies...this team has had management, coaching staff and player turnovers.

Hopefully, the management and coach turnovers are done.

Time to finish up with the player turnover.

2014 here we come......Choo-Choo! :woot:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

Quote:I'm not sure how you came up with that.  In many of the skill positions we are set.  A few offensive lineman, a qb, and a rb is what we need.  That can be done through the draft and FA.  I dont think that means we cant sign defensive players.

Plus, if you give them a break and keep them off the field for a bit...the defense gets better.

What skill positions are we set? Certainly not QB, not RB, only one WR, not TE, not CB, not DPR either. You say a "few offensive linemen, a qb, and  a rb" like that's not much? Let's see, 4 OL, a QB, a RB, a TE, a CB, a DPR, might throw in a LB too and you have at least 10 needs which you are NOT going to fill with 12 picks! Of the 12 picks maybe 6 make the roster and of those 6 maybe 4 are starters. In Free Agency you might pick up 2 but Free Agent pickups are expensive and temporary so if you're of the sentiment the draft is the building blocks you're not solving the problems by trading away solid starters.

Like I said, I'm not against this trade, I think it would have been easier on the team if Caldwell had kept Daryl Smith, Cox, Greg Jones, and maybe Knighton. I know, Cox is injured too much, but Gratz is now injured too.

Quote:Based on that tweet, it seems as though Eugene could have been a Jag next year had he performed better.  If they had no intentions of keeping him then I think they would have traded him before or right after the draft.  
It's spin. It has nothing to do with his play. 

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 07:15 PM by Ratix240sx.)

We would be better off resigning him. If I know I have something of value I'm not gonna give it away for chump change just because at the time people didn't have interest. 

Think of it this way we had 2 good LT's on the roster (one of them can also play RT), we could easily resign Monroe with the cap space we have, not to mention it is likely that many of our other "expensive" players will probably will be gone next year, and if you are building through the draft then it's not like we are gonna need cap space to sign a bunch high priced free agents  the Ravens had a need at LT and a big need at that as they are trying to make a run.....we have all the leverage, he could just sit on him and we would be fine. As soon as Caldwell got the offer from Newsome he should have been like "yeah ok I'm good hit me back up when you are serious".

Fact of the matter is there was no need to be desperate especially if you are expecting a multi year building project.

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffcc00></FONT>[url=http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Ratix240sx/?action=view&current=untitled5.jpg][/url]

Quote:Based on that tweet, it seems as though Eugene could have been a Jag next year had he performed better.  If they had no intentions of keeping him then I think they would have traded him before or right after the draft.  

Well then they need to be a little quicker on the uptake. Someone in the organization has to have the foresight/ wisdom to make these kinds of judgments, quickly and accurately so we don't end up in this position again, which may have ultimately cost us some value (in the trade, by waiting till right now to do it). 

I come away from this feeling like the situation was mismanaged. Like this scenario doesn't go down the way it did with a franchise that was a well oiled machine. 

Quote:We would be better off resigning him. If I know I have something of value I'm not gonna give it away for chump change just because at the time people didn't have interest. 

I wouldn't say better off signing him long term, but keeping him for the time being/ potentially franchising him until they get offered a reasonable return for a young premium position player like this. 

Ah, crap, I forgot I was supposed to be done in this thread......

Ok, this time, definitely!! :devil: 

Quote:Well then they need to be a little quicker on the uptake. Someone in the organization has to have the foresight/ wisdom to make these kinds of judgments, quickly and accurately so we don't end up in this position again, which may have ultimately cost us some value (in the trade, by waiting till right now to do it). 

I come away from this feeling like the situation was mismanaged. Like this scenario doesn't go down the way it did with a franchise that was a well oiled machine. 
As if you've got any insight or expertise on the subject...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."