Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2013, 07:41 PM by Ratix240sx.)

Quote:I wouldn't say better off signing him long term, but keeping him for the time being/ potentially franchising him until they get offered a reasonable return for a young premium position player like this. 
I say better because at worse we have 2 starting calibur LT's on the roster. The reason why I wouldn't say franchise him is because you are tipping that you are not serious about "keeping him". Just because he's signed a new contract doesn't mean we can't trade him and it's no shirt off our back if we never trade him. In other words be open to a trade and put it out there that you might be interested if the price is right but show that its fine if you don't get an offer and then stand by the decision.

For example when I'm going to buy a car with a vehicle to trade, I might show interest in the cars at the dealership but if I don't get the deal I want even if I pick out a car I really like,I will walk away knowing I have a solid car at home that I can roll with for quite awhile. In this case we had 2.

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffcc00></FONT>[url=http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Ratix240sx/?action=view&current=untitled5.jpg][/url]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It's amazing how quickly the I hate Caldwell people come out of the closet here. Those same people will start praying that he fails so that they can come here and say, "See, I was right!"

What would expect? The same folks that "trusted" in Gene.....where are they now? Caldwell has to prove himself. I don't hate him now. But until we see winning seasons, I'll never like him

Quote:It was the first I heard of them as well.  It was tweeted by Mark Long ‏@APMarkLong 9m [/size]

Did not expect to hear anyone call Eugene Monroe soft, but it happened. He just wasn't mean & physical enough for zone scheme.[/size]

Quote:Based on that tweet, it seems as though Eugene could have been a Jag next year had he performed better.  If they had no intentions of keeping him then I think they would have traded him before or right after the draft.

Quote:It's spin. It has nothing to do with his play.

See, that's why I'm uneasy with these reports of Eugene being soft. If there was a documented source pre-trade I'd buy in. But, now it just reeks of "Shack wanted Leftwich, but if Gene had his way this team would have Suggs and Big Ben and be set forever." The victors write the history, and at this point I'm inclined to side with Token and take these reports as spin.

That's not to say they impact my opinion on the trade or anything like that. Just that I've seen this claim that Monroe was soft popping up a lot since he was traded and I'm hesitant to buy it. I've been sold a lot of stories from this organization lately.
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

nfl.com reports 4th and 5th rnd in 2014

Quote:Based on that tweet, it seems as though Eugene could have been a Jag next year had he performed better.  If they had no intentions of keeping him then I think they would have traded him before or right after the draft.  
Mathis beat Monroe bad more then once last week. 

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:One 3rd vs "multiple 6th and 7th rounders?"

FAIL. Try again.
lol,3rd day is rounds 4-7 idiot, so you try again.

Quote:What would expect? The same folks that "trusted" in Gene.....where are they now? Caldwell has to prove himself. I don't hate him now. But until we see winning seasons, I'll never like him
Good point.  The genies kinda vanished.  Caldwell still needs to prove he can be the man

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

Quote:See, that's why I'm uneasy with these reports of Eugene being soft. If there was a documented source pre-trade I'd buy in. But, now it just reeks of "Shack wanted Leftwich, but if Gene had his way this team would have Suggs and Big Ben and be set forever." The victors write the history, and at this point I'm inclined to side with Token and take these reports as spin.

That's not to say they impact my opinion on the trade or anything like that. Just that I've seen this claim that Monroe was soft popping up a lot since he was traded and I'm hesitant to buy it. I've been sold a lot of stories from this organization lately.

It could be spin. And I'm not saying its not. I really don't know. But if they didn't want Monroe from the start they would have traded him before, during or after the draft. Not now. Obviously he wasn't working out as they expected on the line in this new scheme. That actually makes sense. The other theories being thrown around here haven't been very logical.

Quote:What skill positions are we set? Certainly not QB, not RB, only one WR, not TE, not CB, not DPR either. You say a "few offensive linemen, a qb, and a rb" like that's not much? Let's see, 4 OL, a QB, a RB, a TE, a CB, a DPR, might throw in a LB too and you have at least 10 needs which you are NOT going to fill with 12 picks! Of the 12 picks maybe 6 make the roster and of those 6 maybe 4 are starters. In Free Agency you might pick up 2 but Free Agent pickups are expensive and temporary so if you're of the sentiment the draft is the building blocks you're not solving the problems by trading away solid starters.

Like I said, I'm not against this trade, I think it would have been easier on the team if Caldwell had kept Daryl Smith, Cox, Greg Jones, and maybe Knighton. I know, Cox is injured too much, but Gratz is now injured too.

Regards.........................the Chiefjag

We only have 1 WR now? Any other "facts" you would like to share with us?

Quote:Everything you've said so far is based on a hypothetical situation.  I mean, it's great that you think you'd have done so much better; that's a really unique viewpoint to find on the internet and all. 

But you have no idea what the Jags would look like right now if they'd done exactly what you describe.   You have no idea whether keeping the players you described would have lead to a better team right now, much less a better team 3 years from now. 

What we do know is that team produced 2 wins and needed massive changes.  And evidently that you would have done it differently.  Great, thanks for the info. 

I've stated that IMO trading a top 10 LT for third day picks is a horrible move and reeks of someone being in over his head. You want to take it personal fine, but go ahead and tell me with a straight face we're better off with Geno Hayes instead of Daryl Smith......

Quote:Lets fire the guy before he has a chance!  Lets all jump to conclusions. 

I would love to see the Jaguars become a playoff contender in a couple years.  I will bookmark this and point out everyone that just railed against him.

I'm not saying he is going to be an amazing GM, heck, he could be Gene Smith all over again....but to react like this so quickly is beyond me.  Then again, its par for the course for the mb.

I haven't seen anyone suggest firing the guy? I've seen a few not many that are concerned with some of the moves Caldwell is making, this being one of the big ones.

I would love for the Jags to become playoff contenders, but trading away top 10 talent at a premium position for 3rd day picks is risky business in the least.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Not happy with this move at all. Monroe should have been a staple of this team moving forward. No we just have another huge hole to fill and not the best chances at filling it with late round picks.

Quote:It could be spin. And I'm not saying its not. I really don't know. But if they didn't want Monroe from the start they would have traded him before, during or after the draft. Not now. Obviously he wasn't working out as they expected on the line in this new scheme. That actually makes sense. The other theories being thrown around here haven't been very logical.

Its definitely possible that its legit. I just feel the timing's a little off. Especially because the new rumor is that apparently the team tried to ship Monroe out to Arizona last week.

Quote:<p class="">Hearing Jags contacted the Cards last week re Eugene Monroe & Arizona decided to pass on Monroe. Cards could address the LT in free agency.
<p class=""> 

<p class="">Source: Mike Juericki.

<p class="">https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/status/3...0614376450

<p class=""> 

<p class="">And according to La Canfora the Jags are paying $2.2 mil of Monroe's salary this season, while Baltimore pays $715,000.

<p class=""> 

<p class="">

Quote:Jags are picking up the bulk of Eugene Monroe's contract with Ravens; BAL gets Monroe at $715,000, Jags pay $2.2M of his remaining salary...
<p class=""> 

<p class="">Source: https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statu...8393555969

<p class=""> 

<p class="">This could definitely provide some legitimacy to the leaks that Monroe was viewed as soft, but, I feel like there's way too much desperation to try and move him this early for something like being "too soft" to play. It just seems like the staff would need more than 3 full, and actual, games (ie: not pre-season) to decide he's too soft to play the position and put this much effort into shipping him. I could be entirely wrong though, I'm, not claiming I have all the answers obviously. We'll probably never know the truth but its an interesting little bit to think about. Either way, all we can do now is hope Caldwell doesn't squander the picks and improve the team.

"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Quote:    

See, that's why I'm uneasy with these reports of Eugene being soft. If there was a documented source pre-trade I'd buy in. But, now it just reeks of "Shack wanted Leftwich, but if Gene had his way this team would have Suggs and Big Ben and be set forever." The victors write the history, and at this point I'm inclined to side with Token and take these reports as spin.

I don't think soft is the right word to use there, he's not weak or anything like that. Monroe's really more of a finesse LT how will beat you with good footwork and getting lower, not necessarily by overpowering you. Zone blocking schemes need more aggressive players who are willing and able to throw themselves at the opposing team by cut blocking and mauling tackles work better in that scheme.

Quote:Its definitely possible that its legit. I just feel the timing's a little off. Especially because the new rumor is that apparently the team tried to ship Monroe out to Arizona last week.

Source: Mike Juericki.
<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/status/385418990614376450'>https://twitter.com/mikejurecki/status/385418990614376450</a>

And according to La Canfora the Jags are paying $2.2 mil of Monroe's salary this season, while Baltimore pays $715,000.

Source: <a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/385556808393555969'>https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/385556808393555969</a>

This could definitely provide some legitimacy to the leaks that Monroe was viewed as soft, but, I feel like there's way too much desperation to try and move him this early for something like being "too soft" to play. It just seems like the staff would need more than 3 full, and actual, games (ie: not pre-season) to decide he's too soft to play the position and put this much effort into shipping him. I could be entirely wrong though, I'm, not claiming I have all the answers obviously. We'll probably never know the truth but its an interesting little bit to think about. Either way, all we can do now is hope Caldwell doesn't squander the picks and improve the team.

They had the entire off season as well. Anyways, all we can do is speculate because we will never know what they were truly thinking.

Quote:I don't think soft is the right word to use there, he's not weak or anything like that. Monroe's really more of a finesse LT how will beat you with good footwork and getting lower, not necessarily by overpowering you. Zone blocking schemes need more aggressive players who are willing and able to throw themselves at the opposing team by cut blocking and mauling tackles work better in that scheme.

Agreed, I didn't take it as a slight, more that he didn't fit the scheme.

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet'>Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet</a><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/385585451551047680' title="7:01 PM - 2 Oct 13">2h</a>
<p class="">Eugene Monroe wasn't even on the block I'm told. Ravens called, offer made sense. To build through the draft, Jags need picks, so open to it

<a class="" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet'>Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet</a><a class="" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/385587144254713856' title="7:08 PM - 2 Oct 13">2h</a>
<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;">One more thing on Eugene Monroe trade: It came together in a day. What happens when you have 2 GMs with a good relationship who get it.

<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;"> 

<p class="" style="color:rgb(51,51,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Arial, sans-serif;">lol best friend discount Wallbash

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 12:42 AM by knarnn.)

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet'>Ian Rapoport@RapSheet</a><a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/385585451551047680'>2h</a>

Eugene Monroe wasn't even on the block I'm told. Ravens called, offer made sense. To build through the draft, Jags need picks, so open to it

<a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet'>Ian Rapoport<span style="color:rgb(187,187,187);">@RapSheet</a><a class="bbc_url" href='https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/385587144254713856'>2h</a>
</span>

One more thing on Eugene Monroe trade: It came together in a day. What happens when you have 2 GMs with a good relationship who get it.

lol best friend discount Wallbash
I said earlier the trade seemed rushed. This now makes sense. So much for those claiming he shopped was around and we got the best value for him.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:I said earlier the trade seemed rushed. This now makes sense. So much for those claiming he shopped was around and we got the best value for him.
i wonder how theyre going to spin this tomorrow lol. 

Quote:I don't think soft is the right word to use there, he's not weak or anything like that. Monroe's really more of a finesse LT how will beat you with good footwork and getting lower, not necessarily by overpowering you. Zone blocking schemes need more aggressive players who are willing and able to throw themselves at the opposing team by cut blocking and mauling tackles work better in that scheme.
Quote:They had the entire off season as well. Anyways, all we can do is speculate because we will never know what they were truly thinking.

That's what I took "soft" to mean as well, which is why I said they only had 3 games to watch (if the team really offered Monroe to Arizona. Now the new story from Rapoport was that Monroe wasn't being shopped at all, so, who knows? Might've been 3 games, might've been 4.), and didn't count "the entire off-season." Its not like Monroe was going to be throwing cut blocks around on his own teammates in OTA's or Training Camp (well, at least I hope he wouldn't be.).

Its easy to say you know a player's style, but, to say he didn't, and never will, fit into the scheme after 3 games seemed a bit much to me. But, again, we'll probably never know so no use belaboring this anymore. Sorry for dragging you guys through the mud one more time.

Thanks for the intelligent and respectful discussion though. It was nice to actually get somewhere and not be called an idiot. :thumbsup:

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 01:00 AM by Ratix240sx.)

Someone tell me this is not true:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora' title="External link">@JasonLaCanfora</a> "Jags are picking up the bulk of Eugene Monroe's contract with Ravens; BAL gets Monroe at $715,000, Jags pay $2.2M of his remaining salary..."

<FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" color=#ffcc00></FONT>[url=http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Ratix240sx/?action=view&current=untitled5.jpg][/url]