Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell can't coach

(10-25-2022, 01:03 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Who's better? Caldwell or the d coach we had last year? I thought the guy last year did well getting some pressure to the qb with less talent.  This is a good defense.  The problem is NO pressure. No sacks.

Can't help thinking Cullen would have this D in a much better state, especially with Pederson as the HC instead of Meyer.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-30-2022, 04:06 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Can we fire him now?

(10-30-2022, 02:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-25-2022, 01:03 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Who's better? Caldwell or the d coach we had last year? I thought the guy last year did well getting some pressure to the qb with less talent.  This is a good defense.  The problem is NO pressure. No sacks.

Can't help thinking Cullen would have this D in a much better state, especially with Pederson as the HC instead of Meyer.

Cullen would have this D looking much better

Our front line guys aren't winning. Smoot and key had random acts of pass rush.

(10-30-2022, 02:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

I can't help thinking Cullen didn't understand what he needed at the ILB position in the modern NFL. 

If he did understand, he did a lousy job of lobbying for the right guys in his scheme while in JAX

Whoever keeps putting Griffin/Herndon 1 on 1 in the 4th quarter is the problem defensively. How many games this year has been lost because one of those two gets burned deep on a 4th quarter drive.

(11-02-2022, 12:22 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Whoever keeps putting Griffin/Herndon 1 on 1 in the 4th quarter is the problem defensively. How many games this year has been lost because one of those two gets burned deep on a 4th quarter drive.

So you are blaming the offensive coordinator of the opposing team. 

Interesting. 

If your #2 CB can't play man coverage - you're gonna pay for it. There is no masking that for an entire football game. 
Good OC's will find a way to get him manned up and exploit it.

(11-02-2022, 12:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 12:22 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Whoever keeps putting Griffin/Herndon 1 on 1 in the 4th quarter is the problem defensively. How many games this year has been lost because one of those two gets burned deep on a 4th quarter drive.

So you are blaming the offensive coordinator of the opposing team. 

Interesting. 

If your #2 CB can't play man coverage - you're gonna pay for it. There is no masking that for an entire football game. 

I'd be more inclined to have Darius Williams in that spot personally, or at the very least have some safety help.

Looking back at the play Herndon got torched on the sideline at the end of the Broncos game, It would appear that either Cisco was either in the wrong spot, or we intended to have Tre outside 1 on 1. Either way, he isn't a good enough DB to trust like that I think most of us would agree.

Sorry for the potato quality.

[Image: aa16f8a5ac76adee86a6d9d4d4cb0bf7.png]

(11-02-2022, 12:46 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 12:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: So you are blaming the offensive coordinator of the opposing team. 

Interesting. 

I'd be more inclined to have Darius Williams in that spot personally, or at the very least have some safety help.

Then they'll just create the same mismatch on the nickel-back.

It's chess, and we have too many pawns, not enough heavy/royal pieces on the board in our back seven. 

Oluokun is playing through injury- not himself, Lloyd is great but he's a rookie learning NFL coverage, Herndon is a decent backup at best covering for a bad starter on IR, Williams may or may not play better outside, but they JUST got him acclimated to the slot. 
Jenkins is a roller coaster of good and bad, but hurts the team at crucial moments sometimes. Cisco is coming along nicely and Campbell is a stud. 

That's not the make up of a good coverage unit. It's one that good coordinators will pick on. If Griffin played up to his contract this would be easier to mitigate. He can't and we don't have the depth to overcome it.

(11-02-2022, 12:46 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 12:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: So you are blaming the offensive coordinator of the opposing team. 

Interesting. 

I think the bottom line is they have to get someone else to play opposite Campbell. I like Herndon but he's got his limitations physically. I'm assuming in the situation above, they were trying to put some pressure on the opposing QB and thought they could get there in time to apply pressure or force a dump off. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's used judiciously.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2022, 01:08 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 2 times in total.)

(11-02-2022, 12:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 12:46 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I'd be more inclined to have Darius Williams in that spot personally, or at the very least have some safety help.

It's chess, and we have too many pawns, not enough heavy/royal pieces on the board in our back seven. 

Oluokun is playing through injury- not himself, Lloyd is great but he's a rookie learning NFL coverage, Herndon is a decent backup at best covering for a bad starter on IR, Williams may or may not play better outside, but they JUST got him acclimated to the slot. 
Jenkins is a roller coaster of good and bad, but hurts the team at crucial moments sometimes. Cisco is coming along nicely and Campbell is a stud. 

That's not the make up of a good coverage unit. It's one that good coordinators will pick on. If Griffin played up to his contract this would be easier to mitigate. He can't and we don't have the depth to overcome it.

When you have a liability on the outside, it's probably not a good idea to drop the safety down when you know the opposing team has limited time and is looking for chunk plays. Like I said tho, maybe Cisco was supposed to be back there and he just made a poor decision I can't tell you because I don't have the all-22 but leaving Herndon or Griffin alone on the boundary with less than 2 minutes to go in the game isn't ideal.

(11-02-2022, 01:03 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(11-02-2022, 12:46 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I'd be more inclined to have Darius Williams in that spot personally, or at the very least have some safety help.

I think the bottom line is they have to get someone else to play opposite Campbell. I like Herndon but he's got his limitations physically. I'm assuming in the situation above, they were trying to put some pressure on the opposing QB and thought they could get there in time to apply pressure or force a dump off. Nothing wrong with that as long as it's used judiciously.

I agree just not in that situation, was around 2 minutes left and they needed chunk plays. In '17 with Boyee and Ramsey you can get away with that, with Griffin/Herndon you're just asking to get torched. It's happened quite a few times this year.

Another reason that the Ridley trade will be very impactful for our team if he's able to come back is that we could potentially get another good outside CB in the first round this year instead of taking a WR.

Do the players know how to play zone coverage?
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(11-02-2022, 12:58 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

It's exactly what we saw in the preseason.  The starters had enough talent to be a near .500 team but there was a steep drop-off with the backups.  Griffin failed to perform and is now on IR.  That one change makes us a solidly sub-.500 team, at least on D.  So the expectations have to go from "maybe we sneak into the playoffs" to "let's just hope these young guys develop."  Trevor showed some good signs the first three games.  He's regressing now, but we can still hope he bounces back.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-02-2022, 01:41 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Do the players know how to play zone coverage?

It's what they are more adept at playing. 
Caldwell uses it, but when teams begin attacking the underneath passes vs zone they have to switch to man coverage to try disrupting these quick pass plays that most zone coverages concede too easily.

Since the eagles game in week four exposed the weakness - this is how teams are attacking our defense.