Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Thanks to all

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 03:47 PM by cat bells. Edited 1 time in total.)

Evening all

This is a message i have been meaning to write for a long time. And a thank you which is long overdue. As a fan of the game from over in England i have watched the sport from afar for a many moons. The first super bowl i can recall was the titans and the rams and down the years i picked and chose my teams depending on which game i was able to watch on any specific sunday. 

When however the jaguars decided they would give us a game over here i decided i would have to nail my colours to the mast. If the jags could sacrifice a game a year, then there was no excuses for diving in and taking them as my team. It was a decision i made, stuck with .... And have spent years with my head in my hands ever since!!! ...

However, one of the first things i did (as I suspect many others have before me) was find this board, or to be more accurate the old one, and through many years have spent enjoyable hours lurking on the dark side of the forum, always in the shadows. I was here for sprinkles over glacis, through the shuffling shambles of the Bradley years, bolony, mediocrity, minshew (God bless his soul) and all the rest of it ... Mostly bad ... But here's the rub...

The nfl over here is parked firmly behind a paywall which I can neither afford nor am likely to alter and so I have existed in a strange hinterland of watching live on tv only the London game a year and existing on a thin diet of highlights and video shorts for the rest. Come Sundays evening i take myself off quietly to room and spend each game living vicariously through a strange mix of the forum game thread and espns game tracker, switching madly between the two and watching the arrows and avatars march up and down the field ... 

And as such you guys have become my link to the jags. I find myself living and dying with your posts and updates especially on gameday... I have no other way. The board has effectively become my way of keeping up with the team. Down the years i have enjoyed reading bullseyes carefully crafted posts, nyc4 and homebiscuits well reasoned arguments, wondered at the meaning of life (that was jdub), marvelled at snowies predictions (i hope you enjoyed the tacks game with your dad big man), wondered a million times if it was worth a bet on 42-10, spat with rage  as the first 'game over' posts come through on the gameday thread (3-0 down, 14:20 usually left in the first) ... And then watched depressed knowing it was likely true, wondered if I should have supported the chiefs when the draft threads started in november, watched bchbunnie and americus fighting a rearguard action for the lassies, and enjoyed it all ... Despite the losses...

And then a strange thing happened, this year we began to win (aye we had a few in 2017 ... But I spent most of that year wondering who would blow the season up first, my money quite wrongly being on Darius getting busted for a third time) ... And so we came to this week and the titans and I found myself wanting the team to win, not just as a fan, not just for the players ... But mostly for you guys. I have a 'football' team over here who for many years were the living embodiment of the jags, the losses piled up, the team was badly run, small market (as you lot would say) clinging onto a threadbare existence and through it all i went to the games week in week out... We turned it round a few years ago and won a few things had some success but despite all that my favourite game was, is and probably always will be a perfectly mundane league game, but it was the 'moment' ... The moment when you realise you've turned the corner, when all the years of absolute shite were worth it ... Its a long way up the mountain, maybe the jags will get to a Lombardi maybe not I'm no fortune teller... But I wonder if years from now whatever happens, the titans won't be 'the game' and im glad for you guys,

so thanks to each and everyone of you ... You've made supporting the jaguars a better experience than it has any right to be

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Cheers to you and nice read.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Guys, we’re being watched. I feel violated.

Glad you've waded through the years of murky waters with us - and even more glad you've entered the discussion.

Welcome aboard!

Excellent first post. Well done.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Thanks for the good read.

Is there anything we can do in the Game Day Threads (***) that would make your experience better? I've been on the road a time or two on game day and followed along like you, but never really gave much thought to how we could make it better for those who don't get to watch the broadcasts. I'd be open to suggestions that we could implement to help out.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2023, 05:02 PM by cat bells. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-11-2023, 03:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Is there anything we can do in the Game Day Threads (***) that would make your experience better?

Thanks for asking, appreciate it, but off the top of my head im not sure there is really ... Most of the technical stuff, down and distance, yardage, box score
 etc etc I have open on espn or nfl.com in a separate tab ... Im piss poor with computers but I imagine it would be difficult if not impossible for the mods to come up with something similar in site and also slightly unnecessary given the time pressures and the simple ability to toggle between tabs and any number of other media outlets providing a similar service.

The value of the board to me and possibly for other exiles is it is the only place i can come to get stuck into fandom! That sounds shockingly twee but but it is the boards unique selling point (so does that) and without it i would guess a huge number of us would be cut off so again, thanks for keeping going.

There's probably not another jag within about 100 miles so this is my stadium!!! I've never been to jacksonville and might never get to (although I fancy i mightve flew over once on a flight from LA) so this is where I come to be a fan and in that respect the gameday threads are hugely important. Yes when your trying to keep up with the game you want to know whether or not we've converted on third down (espn/cbs/nfl/whoever) ... But the jungle is the only place you can come where you can be with fellow fans which slaps a bit of excitement on it... When someone writes...

WOOOOOOOOOOO LET'S GO ... GET IN JENKINS YOU [BLEEP]

Well it doesn't take a genius to figure out things are going well but it's a bit more exciting than 

Fumble. Titans. Jenkins

Small things, but it keeps us in touch and becomes very valuable. The great strength of the board and the reason I have kept coming back lies in the volume, variety and enjoyment of the people who use it and the the the coverage of the bags topics within. It's a daily radio/ tv show rolled into one with the added bonus that there is the freedom to express any number of viewpoints ... Although it took two visits to the political forum to clock on that something's are best left to you lot. 

I'll put my mind to it but really just keeping the board as open and as inclusive as possible would probably be the most important thing ... Although I'm sure others may have some better suggestions

(01-11-2023, 03:32 PM)cat bells Wrote: And then a strange thing happened, this year we began to win (aye we had a few in 2017 ... But I spent most of that year wondering who would blow the season up first, my money quite wrongly being on Darius getting busted for a third time) ... And so we came to this week and the titans and I found myself wanting the team to win, not just as a fan, not just for the players ... But mostly for you guys. I have a 'football' team over here who for many years were the living embodiment of the jags, the losses piled up, the team was badly run, small market (as you lot would say) clinging onto a threadbare existence and through it all i went to the games week in week out... We turned it round a few years ago and won a few things had some success but despite all that my favourite game was, is and probably always will be a perfectly mundane league game, but it was the 'moment' ... The moment when you realise you've turned the corner, when all the years of absolute shite were worth it ... Its a long way up the mountain, maybe the jags will get to a Lombardi maybe not I'm no fortune teller... But I wonder if years from now whatever happens, the titans won't be 'the game' and im glad for you guys,

so thanks to each and everyone of you ... You've made supporting the jaguars a better experience than it has any right to be

Terrific post....and remember that you are part of 'you guys', even if you're just following.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(01-11-2023, 05:20 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(01-11-2023, 03:32 PM)cat bells Wrote: And then a strange thing happened, this year we began to win (aye we had a few in 2017 ... But I spent most of that year wondering who would blow the season up first, my money quite wrongly being on Darius getting busted for a third time) ... And so we came to this week and the titans and I found myself wanting the team to win, not just as a fan, not just for the players ... But mostly for you guys. I have a 'football' team over here who for many years were the living embodiment of the jags, the losses piled up, the team was badly run, small market (as you lot would say) clinging onto a threadbare existence and through it all i went to the games week in week out... We turned it round a few years ago and won a few things had some success but despite all that my favourite game was, is and probably always will be a perfectly mundane league game, but it was the 'moment' ... The moment when you realise you've turned the corner, when all the years of absolute shite were worth it ... Its a long way up the mountain, maybe the jags will get to a Lombardi maybe not I'm no fortune teller... But I wonder if years from now whatever happens, the titans won't be 'the game' and im glad for you guys,

Terrific post....and remember that you are part of 'you guys', even if you're just following.

Yep, ya don't have to live in Duval to be Duuuuval!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Cor Blimey!!

Welcome aboard, officially.. Don't be a stranger.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Great first post, brilliantly written. I feel much of what your feeling. I find the Jags having the misfortune of being unsuccessful and playing in the early games comes as an advantage as you can at least watch Redzone and track roughly what’s going on. However you have to have Sky Sports to do so.

you can find a stream if you search hard enough

(01-11-2023, 05:44 PM)paksat Wrote: you can find a stream if you search hard enough

I don't doubt it old son...

Sadly I'm one of those people for whom streams ... Have fish in

Pretty awesome post… Go Jaguars..

Ya, but what does your #Duuuvvall!! Sound like?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(01-11-2023, 07:31 PM)Ronster Wrote: Pretty awesome post… Go Jaguars..

Ya, but what does your #Duuuvvall!! Sound like?

Prolly somethin like..

"Duuuuuvooooooool"

lolol

I lived abroad for many years and really appreciate this sentiment. This board was a wonderful place to lurk in the absence of good NFL coverage and fan friends.

(01-11-2023, 03:32 PM)cat bells Wrote: Evening all

This is a message i have been meaning to write for a long time. And a thank you which is long overdue. As a fan of the game from over in England i have watched the sport from afar for a many moons. The first super bowl i can recall was the titans and the rams and down the years i picked and chose my teams depending on which game i was able to watch on any specific sunday. 

When however the jaguars decided they would give us a game over here i decided i would have to nail my colours to the mast. If the jags could sacrifice a game a year, then there was no excuses for diving in and taking them as my team. It was a decision i made, stuck with .... And have spent years with my head in my hands ever since!!! ...

However, one of the first things i did (as I suspect many others have before me) was find this board, or to be more accurate the old one, and through many years have spent enjoyable hours lurking on the dark side of the forum, always in the shadows. I was here for sprinkles over glacis, through the shuffling shambles of the Bradley years, bolony, mediocrity, minshew (God bless his soul) and all the rest of it ... Mostly bad ... But here's the rub...

The nfl over here is parked firmly behind a paywall which I can neither afford nor am likely to alter and so I have existed in a strange hinterland of watching live on tv only the London game a year and existing on a thin diet of highlights and video shorts for the rest. Come Sundays evening i take myself off quietly to room and spend each game living vicariously through a strange mix of the forum game thread and espns game tracker, switching madly between the two and watching the arrows and avatars march up and down the field ... 

And as such you guys have become my link to the jags. I find myself living and dying with your posts and updates especially on gameday... I have no other way. The board has effectively become my way of keeping up with the team. Down the years i have enjoyed reading bullseyes carefully crafted posts, nyc4 and homebiscuits well reasoned arguments, wondered at the meaning of life (that was jdub), marvelled at snowies predictions (i hope you enjoyed the tacks game with your dad big man), wondered a million times if it was worth a bet on 42-10, spat with rage  as the first 'game over' posts come through on the gameday thread (3-0 down, 14:20 usually left in the first) ... And then watched depressed knowing it was likely true, wondered if I should have supported the chiefs when the draft threads started in november, watched bchbunnie and americus fighting a rearguard action for the lassies, and enjoyed it all ... Despite the losses...

And then a strange thing happened, this year we began to win (aye we had a few in 2017 ... But I spent most of that year wondering who would blow the season up first, my money quite wrongly being on Darius getting busted for a third time) ... And so we came to this week and the titans and I found myself wanting the team to win, not just as a fan, not just for the players ... But mostly for you guys. I have a 'football' team over here who for many years were the living embodiment of the jags, the losses piled up, the team was badly run, small market (as you lot would say) clinging onto a threadbare existence and through it all i went to the games week in week out... We turned it round a few years ago and won a few things had some success but despite all that my favourite game was, is and probably always will be a perfectly mundane league game, but it was the 'moment' ... The moment when you realise you've turned the corner, when all the years of absolute shite were worth it ... Its a long way up the mountain, maybe the jags will get to a Lombardi maybe not I'm no fortune teller... But I wonder if years from now whatever happens, the titans won't be 'the game' and im glad for you guys,

Wow!

THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is a dedicated fan!

Jaguars Nation and the board need more of you.  I suspect that as time moves on and the Jaguars win more and more, earning a higher profile, we'll get more fans coming here and others creating more Jaguars forums.

I would encourage you to post more, even if to pose a question to the board.  You are at a disadvantage when it comes to some debates because of limited access to complete games.

Anything that can stimulate quality discussion is welcome.

If you meet any Jaguars fans in the UK...point them here.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

He's a loner but he's never alone.

Every Sunday he gets one step closer to the DANGER ZONE!!!

Congrats, pal you earned another rep point.

(01-11-2023, 08:39 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote: He's a loner but he's never alone.

Every Sunday he gets one step closer to the DANGER ZONE!!!

Congrats, pal you earned another rep point.

[Image: f16-skies.gif]

Thank you for taking the time to share your story. You are part of a very special group as a Jaguars fan. Enjoy the ride and know that this forum is a place where you can express yourself with like minded people.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.