Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
With the 24th pick, the Jaguars are on the clock!

Is there not a lot of desire to trade back from #24 and get a few more picks?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-08-2023, 09:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-07-2023, 10:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Darnell Washington is a Mercedes Lewis clone except a tad bigger

That's a fair comp for him. I like that actually.

In my opinion, Lewis had a disappointing career as a Jaguar. No doubt, he was an excellent blocker but his production as a receiver was so-so. Washington certainly has great potential, but he has only caught 45 passes with 3 touchdowns in his 3 seasons as a Bulldog. I know about Brock Bowers and the excellent running game of Georgia, but I can't draft someone in the first round due to projections and combine numbers. I'd definitely prefer Mayer and Kincaid over Washington for these reasons. I wouldn't even hate Musgrave in round 1 due to his complete game and very high upside. Unfortunately, he is coming off that injury and his body of work at Oregon State was no better than Washington's.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2023, 03:52 PM by Caldrac. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-08-2023, 02:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: That's a fair comp for him. I like that actually.

In my opinion, Lewis had a disappointing career as a Jaguar. No doubt, he was an excellent blocker but his production as a receiver was so-so. Washington certainly has great potential, but he has only caught 45 passes with 3 touchdowns in his 3 seasons as a Bulldog. I know about Brock Bowers and the excellent running game of Georgia, but I can't draft someone in the first round due to projections and combine numbers. I'd definitely prefer Mayer and Kincaid over Washington for these reasons. I wouldn't even hate Musgrave in round 1 due to his complete game and very high upside. Unfortunately, he is coming off that injury and his body of work at Oregon State was no better than Washington's.

I actually agree with you here. Not sure what all the fuss is about with Musgrave. I don't have any stats to look at nor not enough highlights to even see what he's fully capable of. He's a great athlete. Cool. Can he stay healthy though? There's a lot of great athletes in the NFL. More than half of them amount to [BLEEP].

Same regards with Washington. I am a Bulldogs fan and was pretty maddening to watch him at times. Even in blowout wins against "meh" opponents. 

One week he would make this crazy, stupid catch along the sideline and then hurdle a guy then the next he's dropping wide open catches with no defenders around him. He's an excellent run blocker though and would be a great TE2 with Engram out there in running plays and play action plays.

I really think he's like Jelani Woods that came out last year.

Lewis had one really good year for us, then, I remembered him having a year where he couldn't seem to catch a cold. He was dropping every damn thing that came his way it felt like. 

I wouldn't take Musgrave nor Washington with the 24th overall pick but they would be in my consideration in RD2 with a firm commitment from the coaching staff having a plan that utilizes them early. Because, realistically, how the [BLEEP] are you going to use Ridley, Kirk, Jones, Engram, Etienne & Agnew + new guy?

Just seems too busy.

This is all assuming though that this team manages to resign Engram. Which they should. At this point I would like to see them even bring back Arnold and/or Manhertz for a team friendly cap number just so this team can focus on addressing the interior pass rush and interior protection on offense.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-08-2023, 02:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 09:50 AM)Caldrac Wrote: That's a fair comp for him. I like that actually.

That's the one of the biggest reasons I compare the 2.  Washington is a dominant blocker and its like having an extra lineman out there

(02-08-2023, 03:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 02:14 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: In my opinion, Lewis had a disappointing career as a Jaguar. No doubt, he was an excellent blocker but his production as a receiver was so-so. Washington certainly has great potential, but he has only caught 45 passes with 3 touchdowns in his 3 seasons as a Bulldog. I know about Brock Bowers and the excellent running game of Georgia, but I can't draft someone in the first round due to projections and combine numbers. I'd definitely prefer Mayer and Kincaid over Washington for these reasons. I wouldn't even hate Musgrave in round 1 due to his complete game and very high upside. Unfortunately, he is coming off that injury and his body of work at Oregon State was no better than Washington's.

I actually agree with you here. Not sure what all the fuss is about with Musgrave. I don't have any stats to look at nor not enough highlights to even see what he's fully capable of. He's a great athlete. Cool. Can he stay healthy though? There's a lot of great athletes in the NFL. More than half of them amount to [BLEEP].

Same regards with Washington. I am a Bulldogs fan and was pretty maddening to watch him at times. Even in blowout wins against "meh" opponents. 

One week he would make this crazy, stupid catch along the sideline and then hurdle a guy then the next he's dropping wide open catches with no defenders around him. He's an excellent run blocker though and would be a great TE2 with Engram out there in running plays and play action plays.

Lewis had one really good year for us, then, I remembered him having a year where he couldn't seem to catch a cold. He was dropping every damn thing that came his way it felt like. 

I wouldn't take Musgrave nor Washington with the 24th overall pick but they would be in my consideration in RD2 with a firm commitment from the coaching staff having a plan that utilizes them early. Because, realistically, how the [BLEEP] are you going to use Ridley, Kirk, Jones, Engram, Etienne & Agnew + new guy?

Just seems too busy.

This is all assuming though that this team manages to resign Engram. Which they should. At this point I would like to see them even bring back Arnold and/or Manhertz for a team friendly cap number just so this team can focus on addressing the interior pass rush and interior protection on offense.
Like you said, I could see taking one of those tight ends in the 2nd round. Pederson knows how to effectively utilize having 2 tight ends as he showed with the Eagles. I'd actually prefer another receiving tight end as opposed to a wide receiver. There has been some talk about the Jaguars trading for Tee Higgins. While he is only 24 and a very good receiver, I'd be concerned that there would eventually be bad feelings/attitudes from the rest of the receiving corps. A receiving group of Ridley, Higgins, Kirk, Jones and Engram would look great on paper, but one ball would not be enough to make all these guys happy.

(02-08-2023, 01:58 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Is there not a lot of desire to trade back from #24 and get a few more picks?

I won't be mad. I'll be glad if it was an early 2nd round team that has a guy targeted which said team figures might be gone by the time they're on the clock. An early AND late second round pick would be great.

(02-08-2023, 01:58 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Is there not a lot of desire to trade back from #24 and get a few more picks?

Trades are always case by case, but my inclination is to go with quality over quantity.  We already have extra draft picks.

(02-08-2023, 08:42 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 03:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I actually agree with you here. Not sure what all the fuss is about with Musgrave. I don't have any stats to look at nor not enough highlights to even see what he's fully capable of. He's a great athlete. Cool. Can he stay healthy though? There's a lot of great athletes in the NFL. More than half of them amount to [BLEEP].

Just seems too busy.

Like you said, I could see taking one of those tight ends in the 2nd round. Pederson knows how to effectively utilize having 2 tight ends as he showed with the Eagles. I'd actually prefer another receiving tight end as opposed to a wide receiver. There has been some talk about the Jaguars trading for Tee Higgins. While he is only 24 and a very good receiver, I'd be concerned that there would eventually be bad feelings/attitudes from the rest of the receiving corps. A receiving group of Ridley, Higgins, Kirk, Jones and Engram would look great on paper, but one ball would not be enough to make all these guys happy.

Higgins/ridley

Kirk
Engram

Jones 

I'd take tee Higgins in an instant. Jones was nice for us last year but he's not half the player Higgins is.

(02-09-2023, 12:50 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 08:42 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Like you said, I could see taking one of those tight ends in the 2nd round. Pederson knows how to effectively utilize having 2 tight ends as he showed with the Eagles. I'd actually prefer another receiving tight end as opposed to a wide receiver. There has been some talk about the Jaguars trading for Tee Higgins. While he is only 24 and a very good receiver, I'd be concerned that there would eventually be bad feelings/attitudes from the rest of the receiving corps. A receiving group of Ridley, Higgins, Kirk, Jones and Engram would look great on paper, but one ball would not be enough to make all these guys happy.

Higgins/ridley

Kirk
Engram

Jones 

I'd take tee Higgins in an instant. Jones was nice for us last year but he's not half the player Higgins is.

Just watched an interview of him at the Super Bowl. I didn't realize he was 6'5". Although I'd still have the concerns I mentioned, I guess it would be a nice problem to have! Surprisingly, there was no mention during the interview of any trade rumors.

I wouldn't trade for Higgins. I'd rather keep the picks and use the money in the trenches. I think we are good at WR, much bigger needs imo. I'd rather use that money on Daron Payne and keep the picks

(02-08-2023, 10:26 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

Trades are always case by case, but my inclination is to go with quality over quantity.  We already have extra draft picks.

Would you guys be willing to trade up? If so, how high and to get who?

(02-09-2023, 03:32 PM)Norseman Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 10:26 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Trades are always case by case, but my inclination is to go with quality over quantity.  We already have extra draft picks.

Id be willing to trade up from our 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Im not trading up from 24, a great player will be there when we pick.

(02-09-2023, 02:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldn't trade for Higgins.  I'd rather keep the picks and use the money in the trenches.  I think we are good at WR, much bigger needs imo.  I'd rather use that money on Daron Payne and keep the picks

Although I've warmed up to the unlikely prospect of a trade to the Jaguars for Higgins, Payne is the number 1 guy on my free agency list. He'd make a huge difference in the defense.

(02-09-2023, 02:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldn't trade for Higgins. I'd rather keep the picks and use the money in the trenches. I think we are good at WR, much bigger needs imo. I'd rather use that money on Daron Payne and keep the picks
Same. You would also have to resign Ridley and Higgins in the same off season.

Giving up draft picks to get two receivers with more than likely not being able to afford both of them doesn't look good in the long term.

I don't think this team is one player away from winning it all. We still have immediate concerns on both sides with more concerns on the horizon going into 2024.

Build your team through the draft. As good as the Eagles and Chiefs have been offensively they both have two things in common.

Getting after the QB. Protecting the QB. We need to get better at both to make a serious run over the next year or two.

We might have a small window to leap over the Chiefs, Bengals and Bills over the next two years because of age and cap challenges they all have pending.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-09-2023, 07:07 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 02:38 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldn't trade for Higgins.  I'd rather keep the picks and use the money in the trenches.  I think we are good at WR, much bigger needs imo.  I'd rather use that money on Daron Payne and keep the picks
Same. You would also have to resign Ridley and Higgins in the same off season.

Giving up draft picks to get two receivers with more than likely not being able to afford both of them doesn't look good in the long term.

I don't think this team is one player away from winning it all. We still have immediate concerns on both sides with more concerns on the horizon going into 2024.

Build your team through the draft. As good as the Eagles and Chiefs have been offensively they both have two things in common.

Getting after the QB. Protecting the QB. We need to get better at both to make a serious run over the next year or two.

We might have a small window to leap over the Chiefs, Bengals and Bills over the next two years because of age and cap challenges they all have pending.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Agree, the Chiefs and Eagles both win in the trenches.  When you look at all teams that have won a SB almost all of them have a good oline and dline.  You have to win at the line of scrimmage and our dline and oline is 2 of our weakest units.  We have some young guys there that can still improve but we have to continue to add to both.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2023, 10:18 PM by rpr52121. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-08-2023, 10:26 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:

I understand quality over quality, but the draft is somewhat of a lottery no matter where you are drafting.

Even the best GM's are lucky to get late 1st round and 2nd round picks correct like 50% of the time, so might as well have as many chances to get it correct. 

Plus looking ahead 2-3 years down the line,  this team will need to start developing depth/rookies to replace recent FA's.. So it is not like there are only a few holes that need to be patched up.

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 04:04 AM by IKhan't.)

(02-09-2023, 12:50 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 08:42 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Like you said, I could see taking one of those tight ends in the 2nd round. Pederson knows how to effectively utilize having 2 tight ends as he showed with the Eagles. I'd actually prefer another receiving tight end as opposed to a wide receiver. There has been some talk about the Jaguars trading for Tee Higgins. While he is only 24 and a very good receiver, I'd be concerned that there would eventually be bad feelings/attitudes from the rest of the receiving corps. A receiving group of Ridley, Higgins, Kirk, Jones and Engram would look great on paper, but one ball would not be enough to make all these guys happy.

Higgins/ridley

Kirk
Engram

Jones 

I agree 100%, but I'm also a realist. There is about a .10% chance we would trade for Higgins and that is being generous. Personally, I would go all out to get him, because I believe he is one of the top 5-7 WR's in the NFL. I also am not as positive that Calvin Ridley is gonna be the same Calvin Ridley we saw in 2020, as some other posters here. He will have been away from the game for almost 2 whole years. I have no clue how he will look. I am hoping he's the same elite WR he was before he was suspended, but there are absolutely no guarantees.

I wouldn't mind if we did. I really don't see a lot of difference in the type of player that might be there at #24 and the kind of players that might be available in the first 1/3 of the 2nd round. As long as we get a good player that makes the team better, I don't care where we draft them.

(02-09-2023, 03:32 PM)Norseman Wrote:
(02-08-2023, 10:26 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Trades are always case by case, but my inclination is to go with quality over quantity.  We already have extra draft picks.

I don't see any reason to trade up. We have several positions of need and I really don't see a true standout player that I'd covet enough to trade up for.

(02-09-2023, 05:07 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 03:32 PM)Norseman Wrote: Would you guys be willing to trade up? If so, how high and to get who?

Id be willing to trade up from our 2nd or 3rd round pick.  Im not trading up from 24, a great player will be there when we pick.

Yea, no way would I trade up from 24. The Jaguars will have the choice of more than one very good player at a position of need at that spot. Although, I'd prefer they not trade up in rounds 2 or 3, I could envision a scenario in which this happens. Round 2 appears to be the round in which they could select a very good pass rusher. If the Jaguars have say 3 or 4 players targeted at that position and only 1 is remaining, I could see them moving up slightly to get this player by throwing in one of their 4th round picks. I believe players like Uzomah, McDonald, Kancey and Ojulari would all be possible "trade up" targets.

(02-10-2023, 03:24 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:

I understand quality over quality, but the draft is somewhat of a lottery no matter where you are drafting.

Even the best GM's are lucky to get late 1st round and 2nd round picks correct like 50% of the time, so might as well have as many chances to get it correct. 

Plus looking ahead 2-3 years down the line,  this team will need to start developing depth/rookies to replace recent FA's.. So it is not like there are only a few holes that need to be patched up.

I'm not 100% against trading down.  If we're on the clock and there's no value at our needs, we should trade down.  The opposite situation can also be a trade down situation.  If there are 10 players rated virtually equally at need positions, you might as well trade down, pick up the extra pick and still get one of those players.  Also, if another team just makes a great trade offer, you should definitely consider it.

I also understand the argument for trading down just for the sake of getting more players.  However, for me personally, I'm inclined to stay with our early picks this year unless one of the above situations emerged.  We're no longer a 1-16 or 3-14 team.  I see three big needs for the team -- left guard, pass rusher and nickelback.  If we get good players at all three of those positions on day 1 and 2 of the draft, I'm a happy camper.  If we can trade back and lose little to nothing in value, then fine.  However, I would prefer not to sacrifice significant quality at those positions to get more players.  We need them.