Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
College Prospects - 2023

I watched the East/West Shrine game tonight. If you like offense, you would have been greatly disappointed. No standouts what so ever. It was a sloppy game with terrible QB play, tons of penalties and too many bad turnovers. On the defensive side there was quite a bit of talent and the Kicker, Jake Moody of Michigan was very good. He nailed a pair of 51 yard FG's that would've been good from 58-60 yards. He has rocket for a leg. He also connected on a pair of 35 yard FG's as well. He was basically the entire offense. Someone is gonna get a very good NFL kicker when they select that guy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2023, 09:37 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-03-2023, 02:41 AM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-02-2023, 09:25 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: One of my safties in the draft in the 2nd or 3rd round
https://twitter.com/nickbaumgardner/stat...highlights

another really good safety at the SB to look at

https://twitter.com/CamMellor/status/162...highlights

https://twitter.com/robertkschmitz/statu...highlights

I really like both of those Safeties. Illinois had a ridiculously good secondary this past season. Along with Brown they had the best CB in this draft class, Devon Witherspoon and I am also a big fan of their S/Nickle Corner Jartavius Martin. Martin had 2 FF 3 int's and 11 PD last season. They also had a pair of very good DT's as well. If they had any semblance of a passing game, they would have been a threat in the Big Ten.

Witherspoon is taylor made for the nickle corner imo with his play style, I think Porter Jr is the best corner in this draft. I also think Clark Phillips has become underrated in mocks recently. 3 positions I think we can really upgrade in the draft this year is LG, S, and nickel corner.  I think this draft is set up really nicely to feel those positions. We have 2 4th round picks also.  Jenkins will be a freat mentor this year for whatever safety we draft and can take over full time next year

(02-03-2023, 09:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 02:41 AM)IKhan't Wrote: I really like both of those Safeties. Illinois had a ridiculously good secondary this past season. Along with Brown they had the best CB in this draft class, Devon Witherspoon and I am also a big fan of their S/Nickle Corner Jartavius Martin. Martin had 2 FF 3 int's and 11 PD last season. They also had a pair of very good DT's as well. If they had any semblance of a passing game, they would have been a threat in the Big Ten.

Witherspoon is taylor made for the nickle corner imo with his play style, I think Porter Jr is the best corner in this draft. I also think Clark Phillips has become underrated in mocks recently.  3 positions I think we can really upgrade in the draft this year is LG, S, and nickel corner.  I think this draft is set up really nicely to feel those positions. We have 2 4th round picks also.  Jenkins will be a freat mentor this year for whatever safety we draft and can take over full time next year
So drafting for need? Got it.

(02-03-2023, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 09:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Witherspoon is taylor made for the nickle corner imo with his play style, I think Porter Jr is the best corner in this draft. I also think Clark Phillips has become underrated in mocks recently.  3 positions I think we can really upgrade in the draft this year is LG, S, and nickel corner.  I think this draft is set up really nicely to feel those positions. We have 2 4th round picks also.  Jenkins will be a freat mentor this year for whatever safety we draft and can take over full time next year

LOL you are a treasure. It's officially offseason, the need v. BAP debate has resurrected.

(02-03-2023, 09:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 02:41 AM)IKhan't Wrote: I really like both of those Safeties. Illinois had a ridiculously good secondary this past season. Along with Brown they had the best CB in this draft class, Devon Witherspoon and I am also a big fan of their S/Nickle Corner Jartavius Martin. Martin had 2 FF 3 int's and 11 PD last season. They also had a pair of very good DT's as well. If they had any semblance of a passing game, they would have been a threat in the Big Ten.

Witherspoon is taylor made for the nickle corner imo with his play style, I think Porter Jr is the best corner in this draft. I also think Clark Phillips has become underrated in mocks recently.  3 positions I think we can really upgrade in the draft this year is LG, S, and nickel corner.  I think this draft is set up really nicely to feel those positions. We have 2 4th round picks also.  Jenkins will be a freat mentor this year for whatever safety we draft and can take over full time next year

L:G and Nickel for sure. Safety though? Maybe in the late rounds but I feel a greater need is pass rush, both edge and interior, early in this draft. Of course, that depends on what moves we make in FA (both in resigning and new acquisitions). Still, big uglies up front on both sides of LOS should be paramount in the plans this offseason. JMO

(02-03-2023, 11:57 AM)DTWD4∞ Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 09:30 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Witherspoon is taylor made for the nickle corner imo with his play style, I think Porter Jr is the best corner in this draft. I also think Clark Phillips has become underrated in mocks recently.  3 positions I think we can really upgrade in the draft this year is LG, S, and nickel corner.  I think this draft is set up really nicely to feel those positions. We have 2 4th round picks also.  Jenkins will be a freat mentor this year for whatever safety we draft and can take over full time next year

L:G and Nickel for sure. Safety though? Maybe in the late rounds but I feel a greater need is pass rush, both edge and interior, early in this draft. Of course, that depends on what moves we make in FA (both in resigning and new acquisitions). Still, big uglies up front on both sides of LOS should be paramount in the plans this offseason. JMO
Yes, I think pass rush is our biggest need with interior oline next.  But I'm not reaching for either to take a lesser player.  I'm taking BPA and I think Safety could fall into that in the 3rd or the 4th.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2023, 02:09 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-03-2023, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
And I thought my memory was bad.  I know you like drafting for positions and want WRs but no, you take BPA. All of those positions are of need along with T,G, TE, DT, edge and C imo.  We could upgrade at almost all positions. Which again, is just another of the many reasons why we need to stick to BPA.

(02-03-2023, 01:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 09:56 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: So drafting for need? Got it.
And I thought my memory was bad.  I know you like drafting for positions and want WRs but no, you take BPA. All of those positions are of need along with T,G, TE, DT, edge and C imo.  We could upgrade at almost all positions. Which again, is just another of the many reasons why we need to stick to BPA.
If you can find where I said this, that would be great. Thanks so much.

I'll never reach for a WR but I would have no problem taking Quentin or Addison in this draft at 24.

(02-03-2023, 02:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 01:56 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: And I thought my memory was bad.  I know you like drafting for positions and want WRs but no, you take BPA. All of those positions are of need along with T,G, TE, DT, edge and C imo.  We could upgrade at almost all positions. Which again, is just another of the many reasons why we need to stick to BPA.
If you can find where I said this, that would be great. Thanks so much.

I'll never reach for a WR but I would have no problem taking Quentin or Addison in this draft at 24.

Personally, I think this is a terrible WR class and I wouldn't care if we went the entire draft without selecting one. I'd rather take one of the uber talented OT's, edge rushers or CB's that I have rated way ahead of any of the WR's in this class.

(02-03-2023, 03:06 PM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 02:40 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: If you can find where I said this, that would be great. Thanks so much.

Personally, I think this is a terrible WR class and I wouldn't care if we went the entire draft without selecting one. I'd rather take one of the uber talented OT's, edge rushers or CB's that I have rated way ahead of any of the WR's in this class.
I wouldn't bypass any of those positions either if a really good one is there and available. 

However, if people are truly talking BPA, then WR should certainly still be on the board. I wanna see Calvin in the building first and see him running routes against some competition first. He very well could be like the old Calvin but I just don't know yet.

Now if the Jags go out and trade for Tee Higgins, then I'm taking WR completely off my board until maybe round 5.

(This post was last modified: 02-03-2023, 08:05 PM by IKhan't.)

(02-03-2023, 03:55 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-03-2023, 03:06 PM)IKhan't Wrote: Personally, I think this is a terrible WR class and I wouldn't care if we went the entire draft without selecting one. I'd rather take one of the uber talented OT's, edge rushers or CB's that I have rated way ahead of any of the WR's in this class.
I wouldn't bypass any of those positions either if a really good one is there and available. 

However, if people are truly talking BPA, then WR should certainly still be on the board. I wanna see Calvin in the building first and see him running routes against some competition first. He very well could be like the old Calvin but I just don't know yet.

Now if the Jags go out and trade for Tee Higgins, then I'm taking WR completely off my board until maybe round 5.

I'm not saying I would bypass the position, because we don't need a WR. I just don't see a WR I feel is worthy of the #24 pick. I think this WR class stinks, as a whole. Last year's class was miles better. The only WR that really impresses me is Jalin Hyatt and I have concerns with his route running ability. Trust me, if I saw a standout WR in this draft, I would definitely consider him at #24. I just don't see that type of WR though. I did in the last draft, but not this one. I hope Calvin Ridley returns to his 2020 form. 

If the Jaguars traded for Higgins, I'd be totally ecstatic! It's not gonna happen though. We don't have the money. Getting a 6'4" WR who can get deep, has elite body control and consistently wins jump balls with DB's would be just what Lawrence needs. Not to mention they were teammates at Clemson. Too bad this is just a "pipe dream."

(This post was last modified: 02-04-2023, 05:57 AM by IKhan't. Edited 3 times in total.)

I re-watched the East West Shrine game, this time paying special attention to the O-Line, D-Line and secondary. Here is what I saw....

The West Offensive Tackles was putrid. Baylor's Connor Galvin, Arkansas' Dalton Wagner and Ole Miss' Mason Brooks were beaten like drums and pushed way into the backfield on multiple occasions. All will have to move inside, if they have any chance of carving out an NFL career. They are terrible in space. Small school O-Linemen Jacky Chen from Pace, Colby Sorsdal from William & Mary and Brent Laing from Minnesota Duluth were completely over-matched. All 3 had rough outings, especially Laing who played Center and had 3-4 terrible snaps and whiffed on several blocks. It was ugly. One OT who stood out in a good way was UAB OT Kadeem Telfort. When he locked onto opposing linemen, he stone walled them. He might be worth a look in the later rounds. He was a LT for UAB, but he was playing RT in the game and looked very comfortable.

There were 6 pass rushers that stood out in the game. Habakkuk Baldonado of Pitt made some good stops on rushers in the backfield. West Virginia DT Dante Stills made a couple of good plays against the run, as well as applying some pass rush also. Yasir Abdullah of Louisville was in the backfield pressuring opposing QB's at will. Small school edge rusher Caleb Murphy of Ferris State made his presence felt with a big sack. Jose Ramirez of Eastern Michigan was constantly in the opposing QB's face. He was probably the most consistent pass rusher of either team. He was last season's MAC Defensive Player of the Year and I can see why. Another guy that really impressed me was B.J. Thompson of Stehen F. Austin. He had a pair of sacks in the game and was all over the field. He reminded me a lot of Jevon Kearse. He has the same body type and reportedly runs a 4.5/40. He's definitely a "freak."

In the secondary, there was one guy that stood out above all others, Nic Jones of Ball State. That guy was everywhere, making play after play. He looks tailor-made for our Nickle position.

(02-04-2023, 05:52 AM)IKhan't Wrote: I re-watched the East West Shrine game, this time paying special attention to the O-Line, D-Line and secondary. Here is what I saw....

The West Offensive Tackles was putrid. Baylor's Connor Galvin, Arkansas'  Dalton Wagner and Ole Miss' Mason Brooks were beaten like drums and pushed way into the backfield on multiple occasions. All will have to move inside, if they have any chance of carving out an NFL career. They are terrible in space. Small school O-Linemen Jacky Chen from Pace, Colby Sorsdal from William & Mary and Brent Laing from Minnesota Duluth were completely over-matched. All 3 had rough outings, especially Laing who played Center and had 3-4 terrible snaps and whiffed on several blocks. It was ugly. One OT who stood out in a good way was UAB OT Kadeem Telfort. When he locked onto opposing linemen, he stone walled them. He might be worth a look in the later rounds. He was a LT for UAB, but he was playing RT in the game and looked very comfortable.

There were 6 pass rushers that stood out in the game. Habakkuk Baldonado of Pitt made some good stops on rushers in the backfield. West Virginia DT Dante Stills made a couple of good plays against the run, as well as applying some pass rush also. Yasir Abdullah of Louisville was in the backfield pressuring opposing QB's at will. Small school edge rusher Caleb Murphy of Ferris State made his presence felt with a big sack. Jose Ramirez of Eastern Michigan was constantly in the opposing QB's face. He was probably the most consistent pass rusher of either team. He was last season's MAC Defensive Player of the Year and I can see why. Another guy that really impressed me was B.J. Thompson of Stehen F. Austin. He had a pair of sacks in the game and was all over the field. He reminded me a lot of Jevon Kearse. He has the same body type and reportedly runs a 4.5/40. He's definitely a "freak."

In the secondary, there was one guy that stood out above all others, Nic Jones of Ball State. That guy was everywhere, making play after play. He looks tailor-made for our Nickle position.

Jones seems like a guy the Jaguars could grab with one of their 6th round picks. Based on your assessment, he might even contend for the starting nickel position next season. Despite that, I believe the Jaguars should also draft an additional corner/nickel sometime before the end of day 2. The class is so deep that they could get a really good player in round 3 like Garrett Williams, Tyrique Stevenson or Riley Moss- to name just 3. It's likely that they'll need to replace Darious Williams following next season due to cap issues so one of these could take his place.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2023, 11:09 AM by IKhan't. Edited 1 time in total.)

I watched the Senior Bowl today and this one had a lot more offense than the East-West Shrine game. Again, I was paying very close attention to both sides of the line and the secondary. There was a lot of great talent in this game. The players who really stood out to me in a positive way were OT/OG/C Cody Mauch of North Dakota State, OG/C Steve Avila of TCU, DT Zacch Pickens of South Carolina, Center John Michael Schmitz of Minnesota, Edge Rusher Thomas Incoom of Central Michigan, NT Keeanu Benton of Wisconsin, DE/DT Karl Brooks of Bowling Green, Safety Kaevon Merriweather of Iowa, Safety Sydney Brown of Illinois and Edge Rusher Lonnie Phelps of Kansas.

Cody Mauch was outstanding. That guy could play any position on the O-Line. He was a LT in college, he played LG throughout the week and in the game he played Center and RT and looked like a natural. He was stuffing guys at the line on nearly every play. I liked him a lot before the game, but he is much better than I originally gave him credit for. Karl Brooks made several big plays in the game and wreaked havoc in the backfield. I'd love to add him to our D-Line. He's the inside pass rushing presence we've been missing. Kaevon Merriweather just seemed to be in position on every play, blanketing his man and giving opposing QB's fits. Phelps might've been the player of the game though. He was simply unblockable and showed a non-stop motor. He really was impressive.

As far as the bad goes, Alabama OT Tyler Steen was beaten soundly on several plays, Tennessee OT Darnell Wright had a few hiccups where he gave up a pair of pressures that led to incompletions. That was very disappointing to see. I thought he was much better than that. BYU OT Blake Freeland was abused on multiple plays and although OG/OT McClendon Curtis of Chattanooga looked pretty good at OG when they moved him out to RT, he was a disaster.

Jumping on the Will McDonald bandwagon. I like this kid. Wouldn't hurt my feelings at 24.

https://youtu.be/45ZJDV7NIUY

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 02-09-2023, 05:04 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

This is one of the players i hope falls to our 2nd round pick. Torrence or Kauncey in the first and Smith in the 2nd. Gonna be a great safety in this league. Hes better than Cine imo and hopefully he falls

https://youtu.be/BqFN-WbgcUM

(02-09-2023, 05:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is one of the players i hope falls to our 2nd round pick.  Torrence or Kauncey in the first and Smith in the 2nd.  Gonna be a great safety in this league.  Hes better than Cine imo and hopefully he falls

I am not a huge Kancey fan. I'd rather have DE/DT Karl Brooks of Bowling Green a little later in the draft. I liked what I saw of Brooks in the Senior Bowl and during the practices. I also like a little know guy that I saw in the Hawaii Bowl from San Diego State, named Jonah Tavai. He was a one man wrecking crew against MTSU. I know MTSU isn't really a powerhouse, but I looked him up and the kid has been doing it all year. He is almost the exact same size as Kancey and last year alone Tavai had 61 pressures and 10 sacks. He could be a steal in the late rounds. Both Brooks and Tavai had significantly more pressures and more sacks than Kancey.

(02-10-2023, 04:44 AM)IKhan't Wrote:
(02-09-2023, 05:04 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: This is one of the players i hope falls to our 2nd round pick.  Torrence or Kauncey in the first and Smith in the 2nd.  Gonna be a great safety in this league.  Hes better than Cine imo and hopefully he falls

I am not a huge Kancey fan. I'd rather have DE/DT Karl Brooks of Bowling Green a little later in the draft. I liked what I saw of Brooks in the Senior Bowl and during the practices. I also like a little know guy that I saw in the Hawaii Bowl from San Diego State, named Jonah Tavai. He was a one man wrecking crew against MTSU. I know MTSU isn't really a powerhouse, but I looked him up and the kid has been doing it all year. He is almost the exact same size as Kancey and last year alone Tavai had 61 pressures and 10 sacks. He could be a steal in the late rounds. Both Brooks and Tavai had significantly more pressures and more sacks than Kancey.

I like Brooks but I'm not taking him over Kancey.  I'm not looking at the sack or pressure numbers I'm looking at his traits and what he does well.  I think his quickness at the DT position is unmatched in this draft and it will give problems to lineman at the next level.  Of course I want to see if he tests well at the combine to confirm the tape.  If he kills the combine he is my top guy where we pick

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2023, 10:12 AM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-10-2023, 04:44 AM)IKhan't Wrote:

While you like to look at stats though,  even though they had more sacks, Kancey had highest interior pass rush grade in the country
with a 92.4 interior pass rush grade

(02-10-2023, 10:09 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-10-2023, 04:44 AM)IKhan't Wrote: I am not a huge Kancey fan. I'd rather have DE/DT Karl Brooks of Bowling Green a little later in the draft. I liked what I saw of Brooks in the Senior Bowl and during the practices. I also like a little know guy that I saw in the Hawaii Bowl from San Diego State, named Jonah Tavai. He was a one man wrecking crew against MTSU. I know MTSU isn't really a powerhouse, but I looked him up and the kid has been doing it all year. He is almost the exact same size as Kancey and last year alone Tavai had 61 pressures and 10 sacks. He could be a steal in the late rounds. Both Brooks and Tavai had significantly more pressures and more sacks than Kancey.
While you like to look at stats though,  even though they had more sacks, Kancey had highest interior pass rush grade in the country
with a  92.4 interior pass rush grade

Depending on the combine numbers, I'm hoping that Kancey falls to the Jaguars in round 2. Teams may shy away from him due to his undersized frame. I'd be more than willing to take that risk due to his ability to rush the passer from the inside. At worst, he'd be a rotational player used on passing downs who has the potential to get 8-10 sacks as a rookie. At best, he'd be a "poor man's" Aaron Donald, although their styles are not exactly alike.