Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2023 Offseason Roster Moves

ESPN on the Jawaan Taylor deal:

Chiefs to sign OT Jawaan Taylor
The deal: Four years, $80 million ($60 million guaranteed)

Grade: C-

Taylor is an adequate pass-blocking right tackle, but this contract severely overstates his ability. His 89% pass block win rate for Jacksonville last season ranked 37th out of 64 qualifying tackles last season, and his 69% run block win rate was sixth-worst among tackles. Our numbers are not alone: Pro Football Focus had Taylor as above average in pass protection and last in run blocking. That's two different evaluation methods coming to the same conclusion -- that Taylor is far from an elite tackle. Plus, Trevor Lawrence's strong sack avoidance -- a strength for Patrick Mahomes, too -- likely artificially makes the Jaguars' offensive line look better than it is.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I remember when people hated the Kirk signing..... How did that work out?

(03-17-2023, 01:49 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: ESPN on the Jawaan Taylor deal: 

Chiefs to sign OT Jawaan Taylor
The deal: Four years, $80 million ($60 million guaranteed)

Grade: C-

Taylor is an adequate pass-blocking right tackle, but this contract severely overstates his ability. His 89% pass block win rate for Jacksonville last season ranked 37th out of 64 qualifying tackles last season, and his 69% run block win rate was sixth-worst among tackles. Our numbers are not alone: Pro Football Focus had Taylor as above average in pass protection and last in run blocking. That's two different evaluation methods coming to the same conclusion -- that Taylor is far from an elite tackle. Plus, Trevor Lawrence's strong sack avoidance -- a strength for Patrick Mahomes, too -- likely artificially makes the Jaguars' offensive line look better than it is.

It's a fair assessment. The Chiefs are paying and banking on his upside in this scenario. I just hope we continue to build around Lawrence. I can't stomach another hit like he took in Detroit last year. Keep getting into it with fans on twitter with a wide audience here locally. Jordan De Lugo, Duval Doom, etc. 

They keep saying we need this and we need that on defense. Look, I hear them. I get it. However, with all that said? This front office has invested plenty of cap space and draft picks on defense over the last two, three years. Those guys need to step up or take a big step forward. Cisco, Walker, Lloyd, Hamilton, Muma, etc. 

Campbell has been doing his part. Oluokon came in last year and paid dividends early. Jenkins had his moments as did Williams in the secondary. We need better secondary play but a lot of that relies on the front seven. If we keep having to double dip every year on the same issues? Something is wrong here evaluating wise and it's costing you precious time with Lawrence's contract coming up for an extension sooner than we realize. 

It's bad enough we already pissed away a year of his rookie contract with Urban Miller. However, you cannot fault for the Chiefs nor the Bengals for doing what any smart franchise would do. They're not going to rely on a game of chance in the draft with a rookie tackle, especially because their draft positioning does not allow that right now. Just like ours after winning the division. 

That fancy nickel CB or big interior pass rusher everybody is clamoring for will mean absolutely NOTHING if, god forbid, something happens to Lawrence and he's out for any extensive period of time. The logic is, you build around an elite arm talent, you protect your elite arm talent and you provide for your elite arm talent the tools around him to enable him to ascend the highest tier of QB's. 

It's easier to play defense when your offense is scoring so many damn points early and often to where your opponent simply has no choice but to abandon it's sense of balance and start throwing it to play catch up. Take the guess work out of your 2nd year players on defense and you'll see those pressures converted into sacks. You'll see more interceptions.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-17-2023, 01:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I remember when people hated the Kirk signing..... How did that work out?

I don't see how anybody could hate any efforts being made last year to bolster our WR core. It was dog [BLEEP] in 2021. Hell, as good as this group was in 2022? We were still tied for third or high up there in the NFL in dropped passes. 

Let that sink in. We had a very high drop percentage of passes last year and we STILL saw above average play at times to land a play-off win. This screams your QB is the [BLEEP] really. He's the BMOC. If he's getting it done with that many mental errors? In a new system? With that many new faces? I mean, come on now, what more do you want?

Give that kid more time in the pocket and he's going to [BLEEP] you up on gamedays. We're RIGHT THERE. He's capable of carving defenses up just like Manning. We'll get a glimpse of it with Ridley in the fold this year but it wouldn't hurt having more reassurance that we can count on the starting line up + the depth chart along the line to keep his [BLEEP] upright for 17 weeks.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-17-2023, 01:52 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I remember when people hated the Kirk signing..... How did that work out?

Those people (not me) were mostly unnecessarily focused on his skillset as a slot receiver and/or the max potential of his contract.

A few others didn't think he was very good, and those folks were being stupid. 

Anyway - why do you bring it up? What's the current comparison?

(03-17-2023, 02:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Those people (not me) were mostly unnecessarily focused on his skillset as a slot receiver and/or the max potential of his contract.

I think people are blasting the Taylor signing but I don't think it's that bad.

Is it a little high? Probably but again, it's FA and it's also Andy Reid. Reid knows talent when he sees it and he knows how to maximize talent.

Just like when Pederson saw the talent in Kirk and knew how to maximize it.

I've been re-watching some of our games from late in the year, and I had not realized how many key catches Kirk made late in those games.

(03-17-2023, 02:52 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I've been re-watching some of our games from late in the year, and I had not realized how many key catches Kirk made late in those games.
He's incredible man.

And he's only going to be better with Ridley on the outside. No one was worried about MJJ last year but defenses will now have to shade a safety over to Ridleys side which opens up the middle of the field for Engram/Kirk.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023, 03:40 PM by JaguarJosh2. Edited 1 time in total.)

Trev is gonna cook this year. Question is, can we stop anybody when we need to?

Just saw Jonah Williams has requested a trade from Cincinnati.

(03-17-2023, 03:34 PM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: Trev is gonna cook this year.  Question is,  can we stop anybody when we need to?

Just saw Jonah Williams has requested a trade from Cincinnati.

I think they will get that defense right. I wanna see Smoot over the top of the guards shootin the A, B, and C gaps. We’re gonna get some help in the draft as well. 

Cisco will be in his 2nd year as a full time starter. Campbell, Lloyd, Muma, and Oluokun will do their thing. I’d like to keep Jenkins but I won’t be worried if they let him go. Maybe they can restructure but the production is there. 

My concerns are along that defensive line. We need somebody to get after the QB. Walker needs to double his sack numbers and not have any back breaking penalties this season. Josh Allen needs a big year. Walker can’t afford another 3.5 sack year. Hopefully we can get a couple of guys in the draft.

(03-17-2023, 02:51 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-17-2023, 02:19 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Those people (not me) were mostly unnecessarily focused on his skillset as a slot receiver and/or the max potential of his contract.

I think people are blasting the Taylor signing but I don't think it's that bad.

Is it a little high? Probably but again, it's FA and it's also Andy Reid. Reid knows talent when he sees it and he knows how to maximize talent.

Just like when Pederson saw the talent in Kirk and knew how to maximize it.

I think Kirk's production prior to his free agency far outweighed Taylor's crappy three years followed by a year of Lawrence making him look good in a lot of games. 

Taylor's win rate in pass pro and run game don't quite add up to his contract, but personally I just saw it as a KC staff that saw something useful and was willing to pay a premium for it. Especially when their obvious alternative was even more expensive. Kind of typical free agency overpaying territory. Nothing all that unusual.

(This post was last modified: 03-17-2023, 04:51 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

Jaguars are bringing back Tim Jones, Tavaughn Campbell, Cole Van Lanen, Blake Hance, and Riley Patterson.

I’m glad they’re bringing Tim Jones and Riley Patterson back.

Cole and Blake combined for over 100 snaps on special teams. Patterson scored the 3rd most points in a single season in team history. Jones offers good backup quality at WR in case of an injury and he plays special teams.

Campbell agreed to a 1 year deal.

(03-17-2023, 04:45 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Jaguars are bringing back Tim Jones, Tavaughn Campbell, Cole Van Lanen, Blake Hance, and Riley Patterson.

I’m happy for Tim Jones and Riley Patterson.

Decent depth players. We forked over a 7th RD pick last year for Van Lanen. Hopefully he's more comfortable in year two.

(03-15-2023, 11:25 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Key is the first major loss from our defense in FA.

Jags need a plan to replace his pressures.

Key's farewell post 

warning: offensive abbreviations LOL

https://twitter.com/_John_Shipley/status...58306?s=20

Key is a tack now. His name shall not be spoken from this day forward.

(03-17-2023, 05:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Key is a tack now. His name shall not be spoken from this day forward.
Agreed. [BLEEP] that guy. We changed our locks after this decision.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

(03-17-2023, 05:21 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Key is a tack now. His name shall not be spoken from this day forward.

Had to be in the jags division. Smh

Time for Jordan Smith to step up.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

The Jaguars are bringing back Tre Herndon.

(03-17-2023, 07:22 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: The Jaguars are bringing back Tre Herndon.

The one bad move so far.  We could of upgraded the position for less money