Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Monroe Traded

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 11:10 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:Caldwell: Alright Lewis, take a paycut or get cut!

Marcedes Lewis: You mean... I can still get my salary and leave this awful team?  Man that sounds like an amazing deal.  

Teams do it every year. 

The symbolic move of getting rid of a player whose contract far exceeds his production sends a good message to the rest of the locker room in a rebuild. 

edit: actually.....NFL contracts aren't guaranteed, so I'm not even sure how much he would still get if released. Just the (bonus part is guaranteed), I'd assume, and that probably wouldn't be much left. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:No, there are 2 types of pay cuts, the kind you speak of, and flat out legitimate "you are nowhere near worth the money anymore, so take the re-negotiation or be gone"....

I do know the kind of pay cut you are referring to. Its the kind that star players sometimes take to aid in helping the salary cap so teams can sign more players to make them better. Hasn't Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady agreed to these types in the past?... 

Do you have any examples of this?

;

;

Quote:Teams do it every year.

The symbolic move of getting rid of a player whose contract far exceeds his production sends a good message to the rest of the locker room in a rebuild.

That's why he cut Landry.

Quote:The symbolic move of getting rid of a player whose contract far exceeds his production sends a good message to the rest of the locker room in a rebuild. 

How does it send a good message? Or better yet, how would you have any clue what kind of message it sends?

;

;

Quote:Again. You are looking at the contract as a whole with Lewis. All Caldwell committed to with Lewis was his base salary in 2013. Lewis has a huge jump in salary in 2014 and will be cut next offseason. Watch.

I hope you are right, but I just would have got rid of him last offseason. It was going to be a poor record this season anyway, so its not like they "needed Marcedes. He's doesn't give you much to begin with, even when healthy. 

Now that the dumb Marcedes discussion has hit the point of "sending a message", can we get back to Monroe?  Or just stop altogether.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2013, 11:16 AM by The Mad Dog.)

Quote:How does it send a good message? Or better yet, how would you have any clue what kind of message it sends?

Seriously? Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing....

Getting rid of a player who hasn't played up to the level of his contract (FOR YEARS) isn't sending a "good message" to you??

Lets just end the discussion here. This is ridiculous. 

Quote:That's why he cut Landry.

okay.....why stop before also including Marcedes? He was just as deserving as Landry if not more so. 

Quote:Now that the dumb Marcedes discussion has hit the point of "sending a message", can we get back to Monroe?  Or just stop altogether.

uh....yeah....do you have anything to say about Monroe??.....that would kinda help....

Quote:Seriously? Now you are just arguing for the sake of arguing....

Getting rid of a player who hasn't played up to the level of his contract (FOR YEARS) isn't sending a "good message" to you??

Lets just end the discussion here. This is ridiculous. 

You don't do this when a team is collapsing.  It just doesn't make sense.  Asking players to take a paycut when you are a contender is fine.  Asking them to do so when you're not... isn't going to sit well with free agents looking to go to a new team.

Why come to Jacksonville if the team's just going to threaten you if you don't perform -- and a lot of players will look at it as Marcedes not having a QB to have the production.  Even if that's not the case, that's how they'll see it.  And they'll say "Our contract is in the hands of Blaine Gabbert?  Yeah, I think I'll go sign somewhere that will keep me and not expect me to take a freaking pay cut when the team is doing absolutely horrible and I'm the only player worth anything on the team."

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:go ahead and tell me with a straight face we're better off with Geno Hayes instead of Daryl Smith......

Today, my gut says Daryl would be better for us.  Three years from now, probably not.  But I have no idea, it's a complete hypothetical and there is no way to know on either front.  I'm just not willing to lynch the current GM for thinking beyond this year and letting free agents from a 2-12 team walk. 

Quote:okay.....why stop before also including Marcedes? He was just as deserving as Landry if not more so.

Because he didnt have his replacement in mind. This draft was deep for defensive backs and that is why defensive backs were so heavily targeted in the draft.

Quote:Time value of money has to do with earning a premium in the future for giving up the utility (use) of your money today.

You can't charge a premium to yourself so that is why you can only consider the value higher when it is involved in a transaction with someone else. Your pick is your pick just like your dollar is your dollar. You can't make money or increase the value of a draft pick on yourself.
The issue regards the greater value of the earlier compared to the later future pick, hence the increased value of the earlier pick. The same reasoning applies in deciding on the value of two competing offers. Regardless of whose pick it is, the various links provided earlier and others indicate that a 2014 4th is roughly equivalent to a 2015 3rd in valuation.

<p class="bbc_left">Education is the cheap defense of nations. - Edmund Burke

<p class="bbc_left"> 

<p class="bbc_left">Or is it from Burke? I tried finding the source, and looked through some of his writings, no luck. Anybody with google-fu got a citation of the source?

Quote:Today, my gut says Daryl would be better for us.  Three years from now, probably not.  But I have no idea, it's a complete hypothetical and there is no way to know on either front.  I'm just not willing to lynch the current GM for thinking beyond this year and letting free agents from a 2-12 team walk. 
Neither one of them should or would be on this team in 3 years, Geno Hayes is a stop gap player just like Daryl Smith would've been had he been retained, only difference Daryl Smith is 100x better then Geno Hayes

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I honestly think Caldwell hoped to keep Monroe, Lewis, etc this season and perhaps the next -- plans change.  We are worse than expected so perhaps he's got one eye on free agency as well.  I sure hope.

Quote:Neither one of them should or would be on this team in 3 years, Geno Hayes is a stop gap player just like Daryl Smith would've been had he been retained, only difference Daryl Smith is 100x better then Geno Hayes
I think the vision here was that perhaps Geno had more potential in Bradleys defense whereas DSmith was an aging role player coming off an injury. 

I'm just hoping Caldwell realizes that we need to at least get a few key players in free agency.  I sure hope we don't continue to do the cheap think every year.   Sometimes you just have to play some players a little more than what you think they are worth just to build a solid team.

Quote:Because he didnt have his replacement in mind. This draft was deep for defensive backs and that is why defensive backs were so heavily targeted in the draft.

Wait. You're acting like he had a plan or something.

;

;

Quote:I honestly think Caldwell hoped to keep Monroe, Lewis, etc this season and perhaps the next -- plans change.  We are worse than expected so perhaps he's got one eye on free agency as well.  I sure hope.

Even before this trade we had cap room to do whatever we wanted.

I just dont follow the logic of 'we are worse than I thought, lets get rid of one of our few decent young players'.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:Wait. You're acting like he had a plan or something.

It's a crazy thought.