Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Travis Etienne - Rd1, Pick 25

(10-08-2023, 01:12 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Remember when everyone said he was a terrible pick? Pepperidge farm remembers

Terrible pick? Virtually no one said that. The criticism was about taking a RB when there were arguably better choices on the board.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 02:08 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-08-2023, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:57 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: That's important as well, it's why you take the top guy.  So you still think we should have taken the guy you wanted in Evan Neal just because he's a tackle?  He sucks and it's why you take the best player and don't draft for position.  You don't take Neal over Hutch just because we needed a tackle.

Lol, sure, I get the Hutch over Neal. Hutch is a good player, but my focus was on what's best for keeping Lawrence alive, something this team hasn't focused on nearly enough IMO.

You let the draft come to you and not go reaching every pick for certain positions.   We had a few opportunities last year where we could of helped fix our oline and took the top guy but we made a Strange pick.

(04-30-2021, 03:03 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(04-30-2021, 02:46 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If there was a redraft he would of went top 10

And if there was a redraft, Fournette would have went in the 4th round, instead of 4th overall in his draft class. Funny how hindsight is 3 years later though huh? Nobody cares about hindsight, you can play that game for nearly everybody.

Etienne was a bad pick at 25. Point, blank, period.

(10-08-2023, 02:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 01:12 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Remember when everyone said he was a terrible pick? Pepperidge farm remembers

Terrible pick? Virtually no one said that. The criticism was about taking a RB when there were arguably better choices on the board.

They didn't say terrible they just said bad point blank lol

(10-08-2023, 02:05 PM)WYjagsfan Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, sure, I get the Hutch over Neal. Hutch is a good player, but my focus was on what's best for keeping Lawrence alive, something this team hasn't focused on nearly enough IMO.

I don't really agree with this.

We have a first round pick and 2 second round picks at tackle and a former first round pick and high paid free agent at guard.

You can't have first round picks everywhere. They just haven't been as good as hoped IMO

I'm a Planet Theory guy; there's only so many of them and I want the best of them. We can look at the Giants line right now and see that just because you invest in players doesn't mean they'll be any good.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-08-2023, 02:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Terrible pick? Virtually no one said that. The criticism was about taking a RB when there were arguably better choices on the board.

A player doesn't have to be bad for it to have been a bad pick. Drafting a RB in the first round is a luxury pick and we were not a team that should be making those luxury picks.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 02:16 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-08-2023, 02:10 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: They didn't say terrible they just said bad point blank lol

A player doesn't have to be bad for it to have been a bad pick. Drafting a RB in the first round is a luxury pick and we were not a team that should be making those luxury picks.
No it isn't lol.  It's a great pick if the one is a great back.  Etieene is proving the ones saying he was a bad pick were wrong.

(10-08-2023, 02:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:05 PM)WYjagsfan Wrote: I don't really agree with this.

We have a first round pick and 2 second round picks at tackle and a former first round pick and high paid free agent at guard.

You can't have first round picks everywhere. They just haven't been as good as hoped IMO

I'm a Planet Theory guy; there's only so many of them and I want the best of them. We can look at the Giants line right now and see that just because you invest in players doesn't mean they'll be any good.
One thing killing the Giants right now is them missing their 1st round RB

(10-08-2023, 02:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Lol, sure, I get the Hutch over Neal. Hutch is a good player, but my focus was on what's best for keeping Lawrence alive, something this team hasn't focused on nearly enough IMO.

You let the draft come to you and not go reaching every pick for certain positions.   We had a few opportunities last year where we could of helped fix our oline and took the top guy but we made a Strange pick.

(04-30-2021, 03:03 AM)Eric1 Wrote: And if there was a redraft, Fournette would have went in the 4th round, instead of 4th overall in his draft class. Funny how hindsight is 3 years later though huh? Nobody cares about hindsight, you can play that game for nearly everybody.

Etienne was a bad pick at 25. Point, blank, period.

(10-08-2023, 02:05 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: Terrible pick? Virtually no one said that. The criticism was about taking a RB when there were arguably better choices on the board.

But that's the crux, we took ETN instead of a better lineman and now years later we're still affected by that opportunity cost. You take the best player at the most important position of need and RB is almost never that guy. It goes: QB, LT, DE, CB, WR, RT, LB, C, S, G, RB. That's the modern NFL; build for the QB and the passing game; fill in the rest as needed.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-08-2023, 02:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:10 PM)Charlie Sheen Wrote: A player doesn't have to be bad for it to have been a bad pick. Drafting a RB in the first round is a luxury pick and we were not a team that should be making those luxury picks.
No it isn't lol.  It's a great pick if the one is a great back.  Etieene is proving the ones saying he was a bad pick were wrong.

(10-08-2023, 02:10 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I'm a Planet Theory guy; there's only so many of them and I want the best of them. We can look at the Giants line right now and see that just because you invest in players doesn't mean they'll be any good.

Happens more to running backs though as it's a highly attritional position

Why you don't want to make a running back the centrepiece of your offence

I don't think we beat the Bills without ETN.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 02:21 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-08-2023, 02:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:06 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You let the draft come to you and not go reaching every pick for certain positions.   We had a few opportunities last year where we could of helped fix our oline and took the top guy but we made a Strange pick.

But that's the crux, we took ETN instead of a better lineman and now years later we're still affected by that opportunity cost. You take the best player at the most important position of need and RB is almost never that guy. It goes: QB, LT, DE, CB, WR, RT, LB, C, S, G, RB. That's the modern NFL; build for the QB and the passing game; fill in the rest as needed.
Which better lineman did we take Etienne over? Nobody on this board was saying take Humphrey at 25

I always liked the pick. I thought he would be more of a Darren Sproles type player, lightning quick with explosive play ability. Turns out he's an every down back. Though I do with they would get him out into space more. When he's out in space, he's Travis Elite-EN...

(10-08-2023, 02:18 PM)WYjagsfan Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:13 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: No it isn't lol.  It's a great pick if the one is a great back.  Etieene is proving the ones saying he was a bad pick were wrong.

Happens more to running backs though as it's a highly attritional position

I'm not sure about that. I think olineman get hurt more than RBs.  Sure seems that way

(10-08-2023, 02:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:17 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: But that's the crux, we took ETN instead of a better lineman and now years later we're still affected by that opportunity cost. You take the best player at the most important position of need and RB is almost never that guy. It goes: QB, LT, DE, CB, WR, RT, LB, C, S, G, RB. That's the modern NFL; build for the QB and the passing game; fill in the rest as needed.
Which better lineman did we take Etienne over? Nobody on this board was saying take Humphrey at 25

I favored Teven Jenkins with that pick.

(10-08-2023, 02:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:21 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Which better lineman did we take Etienne over? Nobody on this board was saying take Humphrey at 25

I favored Teven Jenkins with that pick.

You wanted Barmore or Moore. Jenkins missed most of his rookie year as well and he ain't better than Etienne

(10-08-2023, 02:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:18 PM)WYjagsfan Wrote: Happens more to running backs though as it's a highly attritional position

I'm not sure about that. I think olineman get hurt more than RBs.  Sure seems that way

Career length is about a year longer on average for linemen, RB have the shortest career length. Part of that is replacement cost as RBs are significantly less valuable than linemen. Injury is only a thing because you watch the Jaguars who have a terrible history with O-linemen. The key difference is that RBs fall off a cliff while linemen slide down a hill.

(10-08-2023, 02:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:26 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I favored Teven Jenkins with that pick.

You wanted Barmore or Moore. Jenkins missed most of his rookie year as well and he ain't better than Etienne

Yes, I thought you asked which O-lineman I favored. You also seem to have the benefit of hindsight in everything you say. I'm talking about philosophy while you're trying to rub noses over the unknowable.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2023, 02:36 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(10-08-2023, 02:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm not sure about that. I think olineman get hurt more than RBs.  Sure seems that way

Career length is about a year longer on average for linemen, RB have the shortest career length. Part of that is replacement cost as RBs are significantly less valuable than linemen. Injury is only a thing because you watch the Jaguars who have a terrible history with O-linemen. The key difference is that RBs fall off a cliff while linemen slide down a hill.

(10-08-2023, 02:29 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You wanted Barmore or Moore. Jenkins missed most of his rookie year as well and he ain't better than Etienne

Yes, I thought you asked which O-lineman I favored. You also seem to have the benefit of hindsight in everything you say. I'm talking about philosophy while you're trying to rub noses over the unknowable.

Career length is nice but give me the best player even if it's shorter.  I'm just pointing out why you don't draft for position. I keep up with and watch the whole league, it's more than just the Jags

(10-08-2023, 02:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:29 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Career length is about a year longer on average for linemen, RB have the shortest career length. Part of that is replacement cost as RBs are significantly less valuable than linemen. Injury is only a thing because you watch the Jaguars who have a terrible history with O-linemen. The key difference is that RBs fall off a cliff while linemen slide down a hill.

Career length is nice but give me the best player even if it's shorter.  I'm just pointing out why you don't draft for position.

And I'm pointing out why you don't draft RBs in the 1st round unless you're already a pretty good team.

(10-08-2023, 02:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:35 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Career length is nice but give me the best player even if it's shorter.  I'm just pointing out why you don't draft for position.

And I'm pointing out why you don't draft RBs in the 1st round unless you're already a pretty good team.

While you want longevity and positions i want the best players regardless.  I like letting the draft come to us .

(10-08-2023, 02:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:36 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: And I'm pointing out why you don't draft RBs in the 1st round unless you're already a pretty good team.

While you want longevity and positions i want the best players regardless.  I like letting the draft come to us .

I don't want to spend a 1 on a guy we could get for a 3 who we have to replace in two years anyway.

It only took 3 years for us to figure out he's an option as a checkdown.

There weren't galing holes. A lot of yards after contact against a top defense.

(This post was last modified: 10-09-2023, 07:04 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 2 times in total.)

(10-08-2023, 02:44 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 02:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: While you want longevity and positions i want the best players regardless.  I like letting the draft come to us .

I don't want to spend a 1 on a guy we could get for a 3 who we have to replace in two years anyway.

I read this all the time.  "You can find a RB in later rounds."  Yes, you can.  You can also find any other position in later rounds.  But if you want a great player, the odds are better if you don't let a bunch of them go off the board before you pick.  

I thought it was a great pick at the time.  I wanted Travis Etienne since I first saw him in college.  The thing I noticed when I first saw him was his acceleration.  What I did not know was how tough he is running between the tackles.