Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Caldwell Discussion Thread (Terminated)

(01-09-2024, 10:34 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 08:40 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: The defense did have it's moments. But then it had games where they looked woefully unprepared (like Sunday). I'm a little surprised they made the change but it does show a willingness on the part of Pederson to make changes where HE sees a need which is really all that matters at this point. Whether those are the right changes remains to be seen. To make the announcement that rapidly means they probably have someone lined up already. 

I'll be interested to see if there are any changes at all on the other side of the ball. I've been critical of Taylor but as Doug says, there have been execution errors all season long so maybe that's hiding a hidden offensive genius that we have yet to see. I would like to see them play a little more conventionally and take the points in FG situations where you don't HAVE to have the points. And lord knows they need to work on the redzone offense.

Defensively I've been hoping they'll switch to a conventional 4-3 with Walker moved permanently to defensive end. It'll require some personnel changes but in the end may suit the team better. Well, we've got an offseason to think about it. It's gonna be a long one.

Valid points. I think collectively the team failed overall down the toughest stretch of the season. This is more of an indictment in my opinion on the general manager, scouting department and Pederson. They were not prepared half the time to keep pace with the likes of more grounded and consistent play-off caliber football teams. 49ers schooled them on both sides. Bengals, Browns & Ravens honestly schooled them on both sides. 

This team after starting 8 - 3 had began losing it's continuity and the weaknesses were beginning to either get exposed here and there or the injuries were starting to take it's toll. I really don't like the idea of using injuries as an excuse, as plenty of teams had to deal with it and manage through it, but, again, it's an indictment on the general manager, scouting department and Pederson.

They made next to no significant changes personnel wise in the off season, they wasted really good value picks by treating them as luxury picks, they also failed week in and week out in adjusting to anything as a football team. Nine times out of ten, when this team was tasked with matching another opponent's tenacity, physicality and intelligence? They got absolutely worked. 

For Pederson, I think it boils down to a few things in regards to his staff:

1. He still needs Taylor, even if he is the problem going into this upcoming regular season, it's a lot easier for Doug to say "Alright, Press, take a step back, I am calling the shots full time now, BUT, I need you here to help with the backend stuff in getting the gameplan installed throughout the week".

2. It was Taylor's first, true up to bat as a full time play caller. While it was clearly not perfect. You cannot overlook the obvious issues on this offense. It felt like this team couldn't run the football to save it's [BLEEP] life all season with the exception of two games where Etienne found 18 inches of daylight in London and against Carolina and that was about it. 

When the injuries started cropping up and Lawrence was getting virtually every significant area of his body beat up, literally, head, shoulders, knees and toes (ankle). They couldn't make anything fire on all cylinders collectively. This is a perfect storm of three things. Inexperience as a full time play caller in Taylor, inept personnel to establish balance and a revolving door of players in and out of the weekly lineup soul searching within an identity crisis. 

The identity of this offense was this, "Either Lawrence is ON, or everything is OFF" or "Either we get SOMETHING out of Etienne, or everything is COMPLETELY OFF". 

I think Doug is his own worst enemy. He does need to stop with the gambling on 4th downs. It's something I know it's in his nature, but, when it's not working? It's not working. Goes back with the failures to adjust when needed all season. Not sure what the base front will look like defensively but Walker is more than capable of being a multipurpose defender. I don't think we should limit him to one particular position now going into year three.

I would continue to let him pick and choose some of his match-up's but he's now shown the ability to rush inside, rush outside, set the edge and play standing up or with his fingers in the dirt. I still have concerns with Baalke being in the building though. I just don't see "it" with him in the drafting department and these other teams in this division are clearly ahead of us already when it comes to finding and selecting talent.

Baalke is an over-promoted Director of Pro Personnel. He's good at free agent selection and seems to hit his #1 picks, both of which matter; I just don't trust his draft philosophy so far. He seems addicted to the little guys.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-09-2024, 10:48 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 10:34 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Valid points. I think collectively the team failed overall down the toughest stretch of the season. This is more of an indictment in my opinion on the general manager, scouting department and Pederson. They were not prepared half the time to keep pace with the likes of more grounded and consistent play-off caliber football teams. 49ers schooled them on both sides. Bengals, Browns & Ravens honestly schooled them on both sides. 

This team after starting 8 - 3 had began losing it's continuity and the weaknesses were beginning to either get exposed here and there or the injuries were starting to take it's toll. I really don't like the idea of using injuries as an excuse, as plenty of teams had to deal with it and manage through it, but, again, it's an indictment on the general manager, scouting department and Pederson.

They made next to no significant changes personnel wise in the off season, they wasted really good value picks by treating them as luxury picks, they also failed week in and week out in adjusting to anything as a football team. Nine times out of ten, when this team was tasked with matching another opponent's tenacity, physicality and intelligence? They got absolutely worked. 

For Pederson, I think it boils down to a few things in regards to his staff:

1. He still needs Taylor, even if he is the problem going into this upcoming regular season, it's a lot easier for Doug to say "Alright, Press, take a step back, I am calling the shots full time now, BUT, I need you here to help with the backend stuff in getting the gameplan installed throughout the week".

2. It was Taylor's first, true up to bat as a full time play caller. While it was clearly not perfect. You cannot overlook the obvious issues on this offense. It felt like this team couldn't run the football to save it's [BLEEP] life all season with the exception of two games where Etienne found 18 inches of daylight in London and against Carolina and that was about it. 

When the injuries started cropping up and Lawrence was getting virtually every significant area of his body beat up, literally, head, shoulders, knees and toes (ankle). They couldn't make anything fire on all cylinders collectively. This is a perfect storm of three things. Inexperience as a full time play caller in Taylor, inept personnel to establish balance and a revolving door of players in and out of the weekly lineup soul searching within an identity crisis. 

The identity of this offense was this, "Either Lawrence is ON, or everything is OFF" or "Either we get SOMETHING out of Etienne, or everything is COMPLETELY OFF". 

I think Doug is his own worst enemy. He does need to stop with the gambling on 4th downs. It's something I know it's in his nature, but, when it's not working? It's not working. Goes back with the failures to adjust when needed all season. Not sure what the base front will look like defensively but Walker is more than capable of being a multipurpose defender. I don't think we should limit him to one particular position now going into year three.

I would continue to let him pick and choose some of his match-up's but he's now shown the ability to rush inside, rush outside, set the edge and play standing up or with his fingers in the dirt. I still have concerns with Baalke being in the building though. I just don't see "it" with him in the drafting department and these other teams in this division are clearly ahead of us already when it comes to finding and selecting talent.

Baalke is an over-promoted Director of Pro Personnel. He's good at free agent selection and seems to hit his #1 picks, both of which matter; I just don't trust his draft philosophy so far. He seems addicted to the little guys.

Sounds like a pedo.

(01-08-2024, 09:41 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 08:08 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: Feel sorry for Buckner. Did a pretty good job with Dline considering what he has to with. Career year for Allen and 10 sacks for Walker.

Did he work with them? Allen and Walker have always been listed as linebackers.

You may be right, I see they kept the OLB Coach.

(01-09-2024, 01:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/statu...0428469429

I suspect most people being fired believe this.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:41 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-09-2024, 01:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/statu...0428469429

My initial interpretation of the comment was he was he was taking a shot at the offense, but on second thought I don't think that's the case.  I think he's saying there are guys on defense that are the problem as Wingard alluded to in his post game interview.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:41 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-09-2024, 01:26 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote:

I suspect most people being fired believe this.

There has to be after this collapse.  Hopefully Baalke goes.  Maybe they keep Rauscher because Doug and Rauscher says Baalke wouldnt give him enough on the oline.

If this man doesnt go to the Pats or get a HC gig. He would be at the top of my list for DC

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...4599038342

(01-09-2024, 01:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:

My initial interpretation of the comment was he was he was taking a shot at the offense, but on second thought I don't think that's the case.  I think he's saying there are guys on defense that are the problem as Wingard alluded to in his post game interview.
I didn’t see Dewey’s interview. What did he say?

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:44 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-09-2024, 01:41 PM)CSTblank Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:39 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: My initial interpretation of the comment was he was he was taking a shot at the offense, but on second thought I don't think that's the case.  I think he's saying there are guys on defense that are the problem as Wingard alluded to in his post game interview.
I didn’t see Dewey’s interview. What did he say?

He said there were guys on defense not playing "assignment football" all year long (i.e. freelancing). Which may come back to the early year comment from Doug about guys reading their own press clippings. Thinking they're a star etc.

Vrabel would be on my list for DC if he doesn't get a HC job. Not too late for a heel-face turn!
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(01-09-2024, 01:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:26 PM)Jaguar Warrior Wrote: I suspect most people being fired believe this.

There has to be after this collapse.  Hopefully Baalke goes.  Maybe they keep Rauscher because Doug and Rauscher says Baalke wouldnt give him enough on the oline.

If this man doesnt go to the Pats or get a HC gig.  He would be at the top of my list for DC

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/...4599038342

That is fantastic news.  He's a good coach in my opinion.  They'll be hard pressed to find a better one.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 01:57 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 2 times in total.)

I want Mike Vrabel for DC

Mikey V and Dougie P all the way to the Super B

Put Wingard at SS. Resign Allen. Move Smoot to DT. Draft the best Guards in rounds 1 and 2. Sign Ridley on a family dollar deal. Bring in a kicker. Try to sign Agnew on a 1 year deal. Restructure Cam. Cut Scherff. Try to bring Zay back. Restructure Kirk.

(01-09-2024, 01:42 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:41 PM)CSTblank Wrote: I didn’t see Dewey’s interview. What did he say?

He said there were guys on defense not playing "assignment football" all year long (i.e. freelancing).  Which may come back to the early year comment from Doug about guys reading their own press clippings.  Thinking they're a star etc.

I'm the contrarian and would like to mention that neither Walker nor Allen got particularly good PFF grades all season. If 'press clippings' were mentioned I have to wonder if they are the guys they're talking about. It doesn't make sense but who else on defense gets press about being a star? Campbell?

(01-09-2024, 01:54 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:42 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He said there were guys on defense not playing "assignment football" all year long (i.e. freelancing).  Which may come back to the early year comment from Doug about guys reading their own press clippings.  Thinking they're a star etc.

I'm the contrarian and would like to mention that neither Walker nor Allen got particularly good PFF grades all season. If 'press clippings' were mentioned I have to wonder if they are the guys they're talking about. It doesn't make sense but who else on defense gets press about being a star? Campbell?

Allen has had a elite grade the last few year on PFF.  PFF are a big fan of Allen, Walker not so much.

Ok, you may be right about Allen. Do you think it could be Walker?

(01-09-2024, 01:42 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:41 PM)CSTblank Wrote: I didn’t see Dewey’s interview. What did he say?

He said there were guys on defense not playing "assignment football" all year long (i.e. freelancing).  Which may come back to the early year comment from Doug about guys reading their own press clippings.  Thinking they're a star etc.

If that was the case then it's on the coaches for not benching them just as much as it's on the player for doing it.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2024, 02:25 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-09-2024, 01:54 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:42 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: He said there were guys on defense not playing "assignment football" all year long (i.e. freelancing).  Which may come back to the early year comment from Doug about guys reading their own press clippings.  Thinking they're a star etc.

PFF doesn't know everything about the defensive play called or the responsibilities of each defensive player on every play.  Only the coaches in the building know that. I wouldn't presume there's any discontent with Allen or Walker in the building.  The eyes tell a different story about Walker and Allen, who just got 17.5 sacks so whatever bad comes from his play is more than made up for.  

Press clippings could be from last year.  Rayshawn's name has come up as one of the potential (likely) culprits of the "assignment football" jab by Wingard and it's quite possible he was living in the past with his big play contributions down the stretch last year.

(01-09-2024, 02:24 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-09-2024, 01:54 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I'm the contrarian and would like to mention that neither Walker nor Allen got particularly good PFF grades all season. If 'press clippings' were mentioned I have to wonder if they are the guys they're talking about. It doesn't make sense but who else on defense gets press about being a star? Campbell?

PFF doesn't know everything about the defensive play called or the responsibilities of each defensive player on every play.  Only the coaches in the building know that. I wouldn't presume there's any discontent with Allen or Walker in the building.  The eyes tell a different story about Walker and Allen, who just got 17.5 sacks so whatever bad comes from his play is more than made up for.  

Press clippings could be from last year.  Rayshawn's name has come up as one of the potential (likely) culprits of the "assignment football" jab by Wingard and it's quite possible he was living in the past with his big play contributions down the stretch last year.

I could also see Cisco as one and Tyson Campbell as well.
[Image: OIG4.uBuSY6yngBYRov__0Zi.?dpr=2.6&pid=ImgDetMain]

(01-08-2024, 05:38 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-08-2024, 05:33 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Speaking of Defense.. I'm partially inclined to have the team shop Tyson Campbell around, if you look at the games he played vs was out our defense was dramatically better without him. Now don't get me wrong, I know it may be in part due to his injury.. but at the same time, I do wonder if we could get a solid trade for him since he is a young CB who a lot consider top 10. I mean, if we keep him he's gonna be expensive too and we're gonna be in cap hell soon so.. idk just a thought.

Meh

I'd rather not add one more position of need to the long list by giving up on a young player set back by injury. 

I don't think so many of his stat lines on 2022 were elite by accident. He defended some quality receivers well. Injury has been the only notable change to blame his setback on. 

I wanna see him get a shot in Jax with his crazy cheap 2.8 mil cap hit in year four.

It's not so much that I want to get rid of him, but I just can't see a world where we resign guys like Allen and Lawrence etc and still have money left over to sign a premium cb aswell and also fix the issues on this team.

I think firing the def cord warranted a new thread