Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
YOU are the GM! Fix the team!

(01-16-2024, 11:02 AM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 01:25 AM)Eric1 Wrote: There's nothing interesting about it, it's brain dead and stupid..

Why would the Bears give up two top 10 picks, one being #1 overall (and another 2nd round pick on top of the two top 1sts) if Lawrence isn't any good (like some claim around here)? They would then have to sign him to a new contract as well. Why wouldn't they just take the "amazing talent on a rookie contract" and build the team around him with those other high picks?

The Bears would do this for the same reason that the Broncos traded two first rounders and two second rounders plus Noah Fant to Seattle to get Russelll Wilson AND the Browns traded THREE 1st round picks to the Texans to get DeShawn Watson. On top of that, both these quarterbacks (each having their own question marks) were given blockbuster contracts with much of the money guaranteed ( in Watson's case all $230 million). 

All it takes in cland's scenario is one more " brain dead and stupid" owner to make this deal. Not like there haven't been several precedents of bizarre trades by crazy owners/general managers!

Of course the Bears would do it in a heart beat lol. It'd be high way robbery by them and we'd look like the biggest laughing stock in all of sports.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2024, 09:04 PM by snarkyguy_he_him_his.)

(01-16-2024, 12:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 12:05 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: You threw stats out there. Give me the page with their rankings. I bet that the 49ers will be in the bottom 12

PFF has them 20th, Jags are 28th.

So yes... bottom 12

(01-16-2024, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 12:28 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You are free to purchase a PFF subscription if you wish or search for the free leak yourself. 

I'm giving you real information and you are casting it aside because it doesn't support your weak [BLEEP] argument. 
That's not my problem.

Here is your coveted Brock Purdy and Trevor Lawrence efficiency comparison when figuring OL play into the equation
Looks like they are not only comparable - but both are top 3

What's the biggest difference in these two QBs 2023 season with protection removed in this measurement? 

The niners ran the ball for 700 more yards than the Jags.

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1...22450?s=20

I think Brock Purdy sucks dude.

It's just sad that he's better than Trevor. And he also has a crap offensive line

(01-16-2024, 12:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 12:05 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: You threw stats out there. Give me the page with their rankings. I bet that the 49ers will be in the bottom 12

PFF has them 20th, Jags are 28th.

Like thats any better, lmao

(01-16-2024, 09:08 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 12:12 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: PFF has them 20th, Jags are 28th.

32 - 20 = 12.

Bottom 12.

(01-16-2024, 09:03 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:

So yes... bottom 12

(01-16-2024, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here is your coveted Brock Purdy and Trevor Lawrence efficiency comparison when figuring OL play into the equation

What's the biggest difference in these two QBs 2023 season with protection removed in this measurement? 

It's just sad that he's better than Trevor. And he also has a crap offensive line
Weird take, Purdy may have insane surrounding talent but hes a solid qb

(01-16-2024, 09:10 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:08 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: Like thats any better, lmao

32 - 20 = 12.

Bottom 12.

20th and 28th same crapshoot.

Stats are irrelavant both OLs for both teams played better than stats suggest. 

They would of been a top line if they had better QBs under center.

(01-16-2024, 09:11 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:03 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: So yes... bottom 12

Weird take, Purdy may have insane surrounding talent but hes a solid qb

Nothing special about him. Shanahan is just that much better.

(01-16-2024, 09:08 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:

32 teams in the league 

that's literally 25% better

math is your friend

(01-16-2024, 09:03 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:

So yes... bottom 12

(01-16-2024, 01:32 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Here is your coveted Brock Purdy and Trevor Lawrence efficiency comparison when figuring OL play into the equation

You apparently "think" a lot of things that don't make any [BLEEP] sense

(01-16-2024, 09:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

32 teams in the league 

math is your friend

(01-16-2024, 09:03 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote: So yes... bottom 12

You apparently "think" a lot of things that don't make any [BLEEP] sense

Awww little baby new Yorker sad that he not so smart it's okay Lil baby it's okay.. here's a little treat to make that boo boo go away

(01-16-2024, 09:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

32 teams in the league 

math is your friend

Oh jeez, does that make you feel any better? Herp derp.

Lol

(01-16-2024, 09:22 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 32 teams in the league 

math is your friend

Lol

Can't even admit to losing the argument.

I said the niners were bottom 12 and they are. Sad

(01-16-2024, 09:24 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:22 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote: Oh jeez, does that make you feel any better? Herp derp.

Lol

Can't even admit to losing the argument.

I said the niners were bottom 12 and they are. Sad

You've never presented any argument. 
You just spray a bunch of nonsense - get proven to be wrong about it and then cling to some irrelevant point like niners line was "only" 25% better than ours while they ran the ball for 700 more yards than our inept unit.

(01-16-2024, 09:22 PM)Shad Khans Mustache Wrote:
(01-16-2024, 09:17 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: 32 teams in the league 

math is your friend

Lol

Pointing out how stupid you are doesn't make me feel anything but sorry for you. Actually, no I don't feel that either.

Similar conversations are being conducted in other threads.  I did a deeper dive and have made some adjustments.  Below is my current plan if I were GM.

To get more cap space, I cut Robinson, Scherff and Fatukasi.  I also extend Williams and Oluokun which will help the 2024 cap.

With the savings from Robinson/Scherff, we can sign a free agent center and two guards and have money left over.  One of the guards may just be a stop gap or at least a free agent with an easy out after a year or two.  I use our first rounder on tackle.  If the BAP is a right tackle, I'm fine with selecting him and moving Harrison to left.  We still maintain Little as a Plan B and also will serve as depth at both tackle and guard.  I re-sign Hance (restricted free agent) because of his versatility.  I use a fourth rounder on a center/guard to replace Shatley.  We still have Hodges.  Fortner competes for a depth position.  I let Cleveland go.  He just didn't impress me.  I'm also one who doesn't like this speed zone blocking stuff.  I want a big offensive line that can push around our opponent.

I like our skill position players.  Fix the line and they will look better.  I re-sign Ridley.  I think he may be a little under-rated.  He's likely to improve.  This year, he was coming off a two-year absence.  A better offensive line will also give the quarterback the time necessary to take advantage of Ridley's ability to make big plays.  I think many also overlook the fact that Ridley had a large number of pass interference penalties called on the defender covering him.  It doesn't go in his receiving yard stats, but probably should.

I let Agnew go.  He's over-rated for the price.  He's not that great of a receiver.  As for special teams, his kickoff returns averaged 26.1 yards last season.  You can get the ball on the 25 yard line by fair catching it.  In regard to punt returns, both Washington and Kirk actually had a higher punt return average than Agnew last year.  He's no big loss.  I save the money and use a fourth rounder to replace him.  

I re-sign Johnson at running back and use a sixth round draft pick on a depth running back, although the pick could end up on the practice squad.  An improved offensive line will make a huge difference in our running game.  I also hope Bigsby improves in year two.  

I use a seventh rounder on a depth tight end for possible depth, but he might just be a practice squad player.  I also hope Strange improves in year two.

No change at quarterback.  Lawrence will likely improve some just because of experience, but his stats will improve significantly because of a better offensive line.  The anti-Lawrence trolls will go back into hiding.  

On defense, I obviously re-sign Allen.  I'm one of the few on record who wanted to extend him last year as I believed his price would go up this year.  Oh well.  Baalke didn't consult me.

If Herndon will sign for a price similar to last year, I re-sign him.  He's a good inexpensive stop gap.  Junior (an ERFA who I would re-sign) took a big step forward last year and maybe he can do it again this year.  It would be nice if he could take over that role.  If not, we can address the position next year.  

I like Campbell and Williams as our starters on the outside and Brown as our top depth.

I use a third and a fifth rounder on upgrading our interior defensive line.  I use our other third rounder (which I assume we'll receive as a comp pick) on a third edge rusher (the Chaisson replacement).  I re-sign Smoot if he's affordable and I think he will be.  Ledbetter, as an ERFA, would be resigned as inexpensive depth.

We let Quarterman walk as a free agent and replace with Miller returning from injury.  No other changes at inside linebacker.

We let Thomas walk as a free agent, but otherwise, no major change at safety.  I know Jenkins is a tough call, but you can't fix everything in one off-season.  For now, I retain him.  Maybe I change my mind tomorrow.

For special teams, I do re-sign McManus assuming he's willing to agree to a fair deal.  I obviously keep Cooke and Matiscik.

In conclusion, my main strategy is to keep much of the team together.  The one big exception is the offensive line.  My plan is to almost completely revamp it.  If we do that, I believe our offense will be among the best in the league.  I wish that I could do more on defense, but you have to prioritize.  I'm hoping a new defensive coordinator, a couple of third round picks, and better health will make a significant difference.

(01-17-2024, 12:20 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Similar conversations are being conducted in other threads.  I did a deeper dive and have made some adjustments.  Below is my current plan if I were GM.

To get more cap space, I cut Robinson, Scherff and Fatukasi.  I also extend Williams and Oluokun which will help the 2024 cap.

With the savings from Robinson/Scherff, we can sign a free agent center and two guards and have money left over.  One of the guards may just be a stop gap or at least a free agent with an easy out after a year or two.  I use our first rounder on tackle.  If the BAP is a right tackle, I'm fine with selecting him and moving Harrison to left.  We still maintain Little as a Plan B and also will serve as depth at both tackle and guard.  I re-sign Hance (restricted free agent) because of his versatility.  I use a fourth rounder on a center/guard to replace Shatley.  We still have Hodges.  Fortner competes for a depth position.  I let Cleveland go.  He just didn't impress me.  I'm also one who doesn't like this speed zone blocking stuff.  I want a big offensive line that can push around our opponent.

I like our skill position players.  Fix the line and they will look better.  I re-sign Ridley.  I think he may be a little under-rated.  He's likely to improve.  This year, he was coming off a two-year absence.  A better offensive line will also give the quarterback the time necessary to take advantage of Ridley's ability to make big plays.  I think many also overlook the fact that Ridley had a large number of pass interference penalties called on the defender covering him.  It doesn't go in his receiving yard stats, but probably should.

I let Agnew go.  He's over-rated for the price.  He's not that great of a receiver.  As for special teams, his kickoff returns averaged 26.1 yards last season.  You can get the ball on the 25 yard line by fair catching it.  In regard to punt returns, both Washington and Kirk actually had a higher punt return average than Agnew last year.  He's no big loss.  I save the money and use a fourth rounder to replace him.  

I re-sign Johnson at running back and use a sixth round draft pick on a depth running back, although the pick could end up on the practice squad.  An improved offensive line will make a huge difference in our running game.  I also hope Bigsby improves in year two.  

I use a seventh rounder on a depth tight end for possible depth, but he might just be a practice squad player.  I also hope Strange improves in year two.

No change at quarterback.  Lawrence will likely improve some just because of experience, but his stats will improve significantly because of a better offensive line.  The anti-Lawrence trolls will go back into hiding.  

On defense, I obviously re-sign Allen.  I'm one of the few on record who wanted to extend him last year as I believed his price would go up this year.  Oh well.  Baalke didn't consult me.

If Herndon will sign for a price similar to last year, I re-sign him.  He's a good inexpensive stop gap.  Junior (an ERFA who I would re-sign) took a big step forward last year and maybe he can do it again this year.  It would be nice if he could take over that role.  If not, we can address the position next year.  

I like Campbell and Williams as our starters on the outside and Brown as our top depth.

I use a third and a fifth rounder on upgrading our interior defensive line.  I use our other third rounder (which I assume we'll receive as a comp pick) on a third edge rusher (the Chaisson replacement).  I re-sign Smoot if he's affordable and I think he will be.  Ledbetter, as an ERFA, would be resigned as inexpensive depth.

We let Quarterman walk as a free agent and replace with Miller returning from injury.  No other changes at inside linebacker.

We let Thomas walk as a free agent, but otherwise, no major change at safety.  I know Jenkins is a tough call, but you can't fix everything in one off-season.  For now, I retain him.  Maybe I change my mind tomorrow.

For special teams, I do re-sign McManus assuming he's willing to agree to a fair deal.  I obviously keep Cooke and Matiscik.

In conclusion, my main strategy is to keep much of the team together.  The one big exception is the offensive line.  My plan is to almost completely revamp it.  If we do that, I believe our offense will be among the best in the league.  I wish that I could do more on defense, but you have to prioritize.  I'm hoping a new defensive coordinator, a couple of third round picks, and better health will make a significant difference.
Solid plan. I really like your plans for the offensive line. Draft a right tackle like Fuaga in round 1 and sign a free agent center and guard. Cushenberry and Dotson are my top picks depending on how much they demand. Move Harrison to left tackle which is the position he is best suited for anyway and let Robinson go. The remaining piece of the starting OLINE would be a mid-round draft pick, Cooper Hodges or Walker Little if he wins the right tackle job therefore moving Fuaga to guard. Solid interior offensive linemen can be found in round 4. Three guys I'd be very intersted in are Christian Haynes, Javian Cohen and Christian Mahogany. They could begin as reserves and develop into solid starters. 

The only player we slightly differ on is Ridley. I'd keep him if the price was right and he is signed after the new NFL season begins therefore costing just a 3rd round pick. If not, I let him walk and either draft someone in round 2 or sign a free agent like Tee Higgins.

Step 1: Tell Doug he has to fire Press Taylor.
Step 2: Step down immediately and let someone else competent do the job. I'm no football wizard.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(01-17-2024, 12:42 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Step 1: Tell Doug he has to fire Press Taylor.
Step 2: Step down immediately and let someone else competent do the job. I'm no football wizard.

So do something dumb that you admit you don't have the skills to do and then quit. Nice plan!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We need cap space.

So goodbye to Scherff, Cam Robinson, Darious Williams and Rayshawn Jenkins. 

Then we need to fix both lines. Draft OL and DL + CB

I would re-sign Allen, McManus, Ridley, D'Ernest and Smoot.

We should have enough money to bring one big name on the DT free agents list and Kyle Dugger or Geno Stone to replace Jenkins

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2024, 03:43 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-17-2024, 12:20 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Similar conversations are being conducted in other threads.  I did a deeper dive and have made some adjustments.  Below is my current plan if I were GM.

All in all. I like your approach. With me only being a little nit picky with your day three decisions. My [BLEEP] head would explode if I saw this team draft yet another RB or TE in any round at this point. 

I think you have a solid core three in Engram, Strange (remains to be seen, but, you dropped a 2nd RD pick last year on him) and I also really like Farrell. RB wise, if you have Etienne, you're bringing back Johnson, and, you already dropped a 3rd RD pick on Bigsby the previous year?

Why invest anymore picks at these positions? I would continue to swing for the fences and add more lineman on both sides of the football at that point. Especially if you're cutting Scherff, Fatukasi and Robinson with guys like Fortner trying to compete for a back-up role, along with Hodges, a 7th RD investment coming back who didn't see much action at all as a rookie due to injury. You're also opting not to bring back Cleveland. 

The interior of the offensive line is the primary focal point. It should be the heaviest thing they approach in March with maybe a touch up or two in the draft. Same can be said with the interior of the defensive line, followed by, competent edge rushing options to add into the mix. They could also approach this via free agency. 

For me, personally, I would like to see a tandem effort. Get me two good offensive lineman and two good defensive lineman in March. Get me another two good offensive lineman and two defensive lineman in April. The rest of the expectations then fall back on Baalke's previous class. 

While I also agree that the running game being fixed and the offensive line playing better would improve everybody offensively. From Lawrence through Ridley, Engram, Kirk & Jones. I STILL think a WR or two should be on this team's radar. Especially on the opening night and going well into RD5. There's some big guy, small school type receiver's that could help us out. 

The year they should have double dipped at TE in the draft was last year, that was about as deep of a class as you could have asked for, and, they missed BIG TIME in evaluations. Green Bay got it right. Buffalo got it right. Detroit nailed it. We [BLEEP] the bed. It happens. 

Baalke should stick to these principles, as it seems to work in his favor though from what we have seen throughout his career:

1. Stick to defense in the draft, he seems to be better at finding talent on that side of the football everywhere historically. 

2. Stick to offense in free agency, as his history in the draft on offense is pretty bad. Doesn't mean you don't take stabs at it though. BUT, his eye should be finding starters on offense in March with replacement players to develop in April in my opinion.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Mock draft tracker from jaguars.com. My apologies if this has been posted previously.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/mock-draft-...s-at-no-17

(01-18-2024, 10:33 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Mock draft tracker from jaguars.com. My apologies if this has been posted previously.

https://www.jaguars.com/news/mock-draft-...s-at-no-17

Until free agency decisions are made, there's no way we can accurately predict the draft. However, as things stand now, my thoughts on these mocks are:

1. Extremely unlikely Nabers and Odunze will be available. Can't say I'd totally rule either out in the unlikelihood one drops, especially if Ridley departs. At this time, I'd prefer waiting until round 2 for Ridley's replacement due to the high quality depth at this position. Leggett would even be an option in round 2 depending on how he does at the combine and Senior Bowl.

2. Fuaga and Fautanu were selected 3 times each. Right now, one of these would be my pick. Both can play either guard or tackle and excel at run-blocking.

3. Jer'Zhan Newton is definitely intriguing if he drops to 17. He would provide the inside pass rush needed by the Jaguars. 

4. None of the other names excite me right now. Sweat and Coleman would be big reaches at 17.