Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2024 combine talk

(03-04-2024, 10:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-03-2024, 10:11 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: At 6-foot-4 1/4-inch, 303 pounds, Bortolini ran a 4.94-second 40 with an exceptional 1.69 10-yard split (and strong 32 1/2-inch vertical and 9-foot-4 broad jump). He also had the best time among offensive linemen in the 3-cone drill (7.16 seconds) and 20-yard shuttle (4.28 seconds). In fact, Bortolini joined Jason Kelce as the only OL at the combine since 2003 to have a sub-4.3 20-yard shuttle and a sub-7.3 3-cone drill, per NFL Research. The two-time honorable mention All-Big Ten Conference selection looked like a professional center coming out of his stance during drills, snapping the ball and smoothly stepping in either direction. A coach on the field complimented his balance and body control in a pass protection drill. I agree with that assessment of his performance.

Yeah. Cited this guy in the OL thread in the Jaguars forum. Along with Matt Lee out of Miami. 

(03-04-2024, 10:26 AM)Mikey Wrote: O ye of little faith...

I'm preparing my liver already.

Yeah, really. I wouldn't hold my breath with this team. I'll say this though, because we still have some time. If Baalke manages to hammer a deal out with Allen today and he's able to tag Ridley. It gives us breathing room to do a lot of things that are somewhat predictable. 

If he has to tag Allen and Ridley is able to test the market? I think it creates a potential vortex of chaos right there within the 10th - 15th range because there could be real, genuine fear, that, Baalke wants a WR, especially if they interviewed Rome Odunze. If you had him on your radar? Why wouldn't you have a few other scouts or lackeys doing leg work for similar receivers with similar builds or production?

Brian Thomas Jr. is 100% in play there. 
Keon Coleman is 100% in play there. 
Adonai Mitchell is 100% in play there. 

It'll be fun to see how it all plays out, but, funny enough, I wouldn't mind seeing him trade down out of 17 now while scooping up an extra 2nd and/or 3rd RD pick. This is very deep class at WR. We did get by without a guy like Ridley with [BLEEP] offensive line play up front and a lack of running game over the last two years with Lawrence. 

We could potentially trade down, pick-up the top available interior player on either side of the football, and, it wouldn't break my heart at all if they did go WR and CB in RD2 and/or RD3. Maybe you can land a guy like Ladd McConkey. Troy Franklin or Keon Coleman in RD2. I wouldn't sleep on Xavier Legette, Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall or Devontez Walker neither. 

There's some good NFL bloodlines in this draft as well. Brenden Rice and Luke McCaffrey should be considered at some point. Here's what I did. Since I am feeling squirely with Sportskeeda's simulator. 

Swapped picks 17 and 117 for Detroit's picks of 29, 61 & 73. 

Went with:
Troy Fautanu - G - 29th.
Ruke Orhorhoro - DT - 48th. 
Xavier Legette - WR - 61st. 
T.J Tampa - CB - 73rd. 
Tanor Bortolini - C - 96th. 
Tyler Nubin - S - 115th. 
Max Melton - CB - 152nd. 
Julian Pearl - LT - 195th. 
Anthony Gould - WR/KR/PR - 211th. 
Mohamed Kamara - EDGE - 234th.
Definitely like your strategy to trade back and get additional picks on day 2. As far as the players you took:

Fautanu: Would give this an A+ grade. Looks like a pro bowl guard. Don't think he'll be there at 29, but I'd gladly take him anywhere in the 20's.

T.J. Tampa: Another A+ grade. I've seen him mocked mostly as a high 2nd rounder. He and Melton would be great additions.

Orhorhoro: Really like his upside once he learns better pass rush moves. 

Your other picks definitely have potential to either become starters ( Legette, Nubin ) or solid role players adding quality depth. Don't know much about Bortolini, but it is most critical they find a new starter. Zack Frazier is the guy I've been targeting in round 2 in most of my mocks.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-04-2024, 11:57 AM)cland Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 10:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Yeah. Cited this guy in the OL thread in the Jaguars forum. Along with Matt Lee out of Miami. 

Yeah, really. I wouldn't hold my breath with this team. I'll say this though, because we still have some time. If Baalke manages to hammer a deal out with Allen today and he's able to tag Ridley. It gives us breathing room to do a lot of things that are somewhat predictable. 

If he has to tag Allen and Ridley is able to test the market? I think it creates a potential vortex of chaos right there within the 10th - 15th range because there could be real, genuine fear, that, Baalke wants a WR, especially if they interviewed Rome Odunze. If you had him on your radar? Why wouldn't you have a few other scouts or lackeys doing leg work for similar receivers with similar builds or production?

It'll be fun to see how it all plays out, but, funny enough, I wouldn't mind seeing him trade down out of 17 now while scooping up an extra 2nd and/or 3rd RD pick. This is very deep class at WR. We did get by without a guy like Ridley with [BLEEP] offensive line play up front and a lack of running game over the last two years with Lawrence. 

We could potentially trade down, pick-up the top available interior player on either side of the football, and, it wouldn't break my heart at all if they did go WR and CB in RD2 and/or RD3. Maybe you can land a guy like Ladd McConkey. Troy Franklin or Keon Coleman in RD2. I wouldn't sleep on Xavier Legette, Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall or Devontez Walker neither. 

There's some good NFL bloodlines in this draft as well. Brenden Rice and Luke McCaffrey should be considered at some point. Here's what I did. Since I am feeling squirely with Sportskeeda's simulator. 

Went with:
Troy Fautanu - G - 29th.
T.J Tampa - CB - 73rd. 
Tyler Nubin - S - 115th. 
Max Melton - CB - 152nd. 

Don't want to be "that guy," but getting Fautanu at 29 would be a 2024 draft miracle.

(03-04-2024, 12:15 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 10:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Yeah. Cited this guy in the OL thread in the Jaguars forum. Along with Matt Lee out of Miami. 

Went with:
Troy Fautanu - G - 29th.
T.J Tampa - CB - 73rd. 
Tyler Nubin - S - 115th. 
Max Melton - CB - 152nd. 
Definitely like your strategy to trade back and get additional picks on day 2. As far as the players you took:

Fautanu: Would give this an A+ grade. Looks like a pro bowl guard. Don't think he'll be there at 29, but I'd gladly take him anywhere in the 20's.

T.J. Tampa: Another A+ grade. I've seen him mocked mostly as a high 2nd rounder. He and Melton would be great additions.

Orhorhoro: Really like his upside once he learns better pass rush moves. 

Your other picks definitely have potential to either become starters ( Legette, Nubin ) or solid role players adding quality depth. Don't know much about Bortolini, but it is most critical they find a new starter. Zack Frazier is the guy I've been targeting in round 2 in most of my mocks.

Agreed on Fautanu not being there. I was half tempted to take Duke's Graham Barton instead or Arizona's Jordan Morgan. As they realistically probably end up being there in this scenario.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Uhm...why did Keon Coleman run a 4.6 forty? Is he injured? That's tight end slow.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(This post was last modified: 03-04-2024, 03:23 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(03-04-2024, 03:18 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Uhm...why did Keon Coleman run a 4.6 forty?  Is he injured?  That's tight end slow.

He has better game speed

https://www.on3.com/pro/news/keon-colema...-of-group/

(03-04-2024, 03:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 03:18 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote: Uhm...why did Keon Coleman run a 4.6 forty?  Is he injured?  That's tight end slow.

He has better game speed

Better for the Jags.   Should have him drop to the 2nd round.
Black Jaguar: Yeah, it's a thing.

It was always the Jags!!!!

(03-04-2024, 03:41 PM)AnOldBrownie Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 03:23 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He has better game speed

Better for the Jags.   Should have him drop to the 2nd round.

That's my hope. Getting him in round 2 would be a steal. Some guys just play faster than they time in the workouts. He'd give the Jaguars the taller receiver who they lack on the roster ( Cooks is o.k., but not proven ). Hopefully, other teams will fall in love with the speedier guys like Worthy, Franklin, Leggett, Walker and McConkey which might allow Coleman to fall to pick 48. Might even try to trade up slightly if he's still on the board at 40. Would be worth giving up one of their 4th round picks.

Coleman will be gone probably no later than the 45th pick in my opinion. There's too many teams that simply need a WR and he's worth the investment.

Buffalo at 28.
Baltimore at 30.
Kansas City at 32.
Carolina at 33.
Chicago at 34.
Arizona at 35 and 43.
Washington at 36 and 40.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I wouldn't mind Coleman in the 2nd but I wouldn't trade up for him. I'd take Pearsall over Coleman

Maybe he's sandbagging so teams pass on him until pick 32? Ninja

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 10:49 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-05-2024, 09:21 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Maybe he's sandbagging so teams pass on him until pick 32? Ninja

It's possible. He ran faster in the sideline to sideline catching drills than Troy Franklin did and Troy had a faster 40 time. There's straight line speed and then there's in game speed. 

Nobody cares if you run a 4.6 forty if you're winning routes, beating jams, moving the chains, catching contested passes and finding the endzone on winning teams. 

I'll take the guy that can beat the jam, get a clean release after working through two defenders and find the zone for 75 yards per game over the 4.2 40 guy that will be lucky to make three big plays downfield over the course of 17 games.

(03-05-2024, 10:48 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 09:21 AM)Mikey Wrote: Maybe he's sandbagging so teams pass on him until pick 32? Ninja

It's possible. He ran faster in the sideline to sideline catching drills than Troy Franklin did and Troy had a faster 40 time. There's straight line speed and then there's in game speed. 

Nobody cares if you run a 4.6 forty if you're winning routes, beating jams, moving the chains, catching contested passes and finding the endzone on winning teams. 

I'll take the guy that can beat the jam, get a clean release after working through two defenders and find the zone for 75 yards per game over the 4.2 40 guy that will be lucky to make three big plays downfield over the course of 17 games.

....or in the case of John Ross, never ever stop having hammy trouble

I absolutely prefer receiver over sprinter. Unless we face defenses with Chris Prosinski, then I'm scouting hurdlers.

(03-04-2024, 06:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldn't mind Coleman in the 2nd but I wouldn't trade up for him. I'd take Pearsall over Coleman

There's several WRs I'd take over Coleman, including Pearsall, AD Mitchell and McConkey.

I'm really intrigued by Colemans FSU teammate Johnny Wilson, who had a great combine.

(03-05-2024, 05:46 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:
(03-04-2024, 06:42 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I wouldn't mind Coleman in the 2nd but I wouldn't trade up for him. I'd take Pearsall over Coleman

There's several WRs I'd take over Coleman, including Pearsall, AD Mitchell and McConkey.

I'm really intrigued by Colemans FSU teammate Johnny Wilson, who had a great combine.

I like Wilson as well, he just has really bad hands sometimes. Almost every game I caught the Noles playing in he was dropping some easy ones.

A lot of similarities here. Gotta draft this guy

Kelce
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jason-kelc...8c2d4508ed

Bortolini
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tanor-bort...a3c5fae5a3

(03-05-2024, 05:46 PM)anonymous2112 Wrote:

AD Mitchell should be in play for the Jags at 17.

(This post was last modified: 03-05-2024, 09:44 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

Theo Johnson with the 2nd highest RAS ever for a TE. We met with him as well.

https://x.com/MathBomb/status/1763831478234825032?s=20

(03-05-2024, 09:37 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Theo Johnson with the 2nd highest RAS ever for a TE.  We met with him as well.

https://x.com/MathBomb/status/1763831478234825032?s=20

If we draft him hopefully he plays better than the other ownn state TE we drafted.

10th All time RAS and had 17 TDs last year and almost 1200 yards. Thomas Jr would be like getting Trevor a Higgins on roids. He's a more explosive, faster, and more athletic Higgins. Very possible at 17 if he's there. He has the potential to be the best WR from this class. No WR in this class has the production and the ras like Thomas Jr. Didn't realize he had 10th All time ras

https://x.com/MathBomb/status/1764063628892750121?s=20

(03-05-2024, 08:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A lot of similarities here.  Gotta draft this guy

Kelce

Bortolini

I could see that.  Then you add the Fortner prospect profile:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/luke-fortn...c7a1e12725

Fortner is not nearly as athletic by comparison.

(03-06-2024, 10:19 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-05-2024, 08:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A lot of similarities here.  Gotta draft this guy

Kelce

Bortolini

I could see that.  Then you add the Fortner prospect profile:
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/luke-fortn...c7a1e12725

Fortner is not nearly as athletic by comparison.
I think we should get a vet center and draft Bortolini.

Look at Creed Humphrey 

https://x.com/MathBomb/status/1370492317401034761?s=20