Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2024 combine talk

If Verse is there at 17 it would be hard to pass him up.  We would have our 3rd edge and 3 starting caliber edge defenders.

https://x.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1762830...04264?s=20

It worked out for the Giants, can't ever have to many pass rushers

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-28-2024, 07:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Verse is there at 17 it would be hard to pass him up.  We would have our 3rd edge and 3 starting caliber edge defenders.

but we won't need a lot of edge rushers if we get Lawrence killed and our offense turns to 3 plays and a punt. These guys better be good at stopping the run.

(02-29-2024, 09:29 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-28-2024, 07:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If Verse is there at 17 it would be hard to pass him up.  We would have our 3rd edge and 3 starting caliber edge defenders.

but we won't need a lot of edge rushers if we get Lawrence killed and our offense turns to 3 plays and a punt. These guys better be good at stopping the run.

That's why you fix the interior oline as well.  You can fix the interior oline without taking one at 17.

I like this, the nickel I want.
https://x.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1763249...00458?s=20

Rakestraw getting some buzz so far for Jags at 17.

I don't know too much about him but seems to be a press cover corner.

https://twitter.com/gus_logue/status/176...11919?s=20

(02-29-2024, 02:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Rakestraw getting some buzz so far for Jags at 17.

https://x.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1763242...02422?s=20

https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...02422?s=20

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024, 03:44 PM by Caldrac.)

I really don't like the idea of them taking a CB with the 17th overall pick. I honestly hope this is an early attempt of getting some teams scared and willing to jump up via trade with the intention of them picking up an extra 2nd RD selection or more.

We have:

Darious Williams for one more year.
Tyson Campbell entering a contract year.
Buster Brown that's been developing well.
Potentially Tre Herndon coming back in free agency if a contract is offered.
Antonio Johnson from last year that can play the slot.
Christian Braswell who made the team last year as a 6th RD pick and was placed on IR in October but was promising leaving Rutgers.

I don't think that means you don't entertain the idea completely. I just would have to question what they're doing evaluations wise across the board, and, again, we still need to see what they do in two weeks via free agency. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself a little bit, but, if they manage to secure a pair of offensive lineman and a pair of defensive lineman it really narrows that pick down to CB and WR for me.

I also think guys like Max Melton, T.J Tampa, Khyree Jackson & Cam Hart would offer just as much upside on day three Vs. Rakestraw who is basically coming in hot and out of nowhere all of a sudden. Just feels "off" in my opinion. Similar to last year when the Commanders and Jets reached in my opinion for guys like Forbes and McDonald respectively.

That's the kind of vibe and feeling I am getting with Rakestraw.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Depends on who they sign in free agency. I wouldn't mind this selection at all and I could see him and Walker working the same side together with stunts inside.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-29-2024, 02:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Rakestraw getting some buzz so far for Jags at 17.

Cornerback looks like one of the deepest positions in this draft. Most would agree that the Jaguars greatest needs are interior OL, interior DL, and cornerback since Williams is over 30 and expensive (keep him with re-structured contract, but still need depth). Wide receiver is 4th depending on what happens with Ridley and Jones.

When looking at free agency and the draft, finding a difference-making DT who can rush the passer will be difficult since the best free agents will be very expensive and the draft is not very deep at this position. For that reason, I'd take either Newton or Murphy in the 1st round and a cornerback in the 2nd. There are likely to be some very good corners who fall to round 2. T.J. Tampa, Rakestraw, Khyree Jackson, Lassiter and Kalen King are all possibilities. Rakestraw and Tampa would likely require a trade up in round 2, but this would be the best route to go in securing the physical, press corner that Nielsen prefers. Unless more pressure is placed on opposing quarterbacks, it would be difficult for any corners to find success and that's why I'd prefer Newton or Murphy in round 1. Sign DaQuan Jones in free agency as the nose tackle which would free up Newton/Murphy and Hamilton to penetrate from the inside.

With DT and cornerback addressed in rounds 1 and 2, the Jaguars will have a number of good options at guard and center in round 3 and in free agency. Damien Lewis would be my free agent pick at guard with Van Pran a consideration at center in round 3.

(02-29-2024, 03:39 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I really don't like the idea of them taking a CB with the 17th overall pick. I honestly hope this is an early attempt of getting some teams scared and willing to jump up via trade with the intention of them picking up an extra 2nd RD selection or more.

We have:

Christian Braswell who made the team last year as a 6th RD pick and was placed on IR in October but was promising leaving Rutgers.

I don't think that means you don't entertain the idea completely. I just would have to question what they're doing evaluations wise across the board, and, again, we still need to see what they do in two weeks via free agency. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself a little bit, but, if they manage to secure a pair of offensive lineman and a pair of defensive lineman it really narrows that pick down to CB and WR for me.

I also think guys like Max Melton, T.J Tampa, Khyree Jackson & Cam Hart would offer just as much upside on day three Vs. Rakestraw who is basically coming in hot and out of nowhere all of a sudden. Just feels "off" in my opinion. Similar to last year when the Commanders and Jets reached in my opinion for guys like Forbes and McDonald respectively.

A lot of people seem to think Williams is getting cut.

(02-29-2024, 04:02 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 03:39 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I really don't like the idea of them taking a CB with the 17th overall pick. I honestly hope this is an early attempt of getting some teams scared and willing to jump up via trade with the intention of them picking up an extra 2nd RD selection or more.

We have:

A lot of people seem to think Williams is getting cut.

Pretty [BLEEP] stupid if they go that route. He played better than Campbell did last year and he actually has a history of playing man-to-man with the Rams at a quality level. 

His cap hit is not hurting this roster all that much as it stands. I would think Cam Robinson, Rayshawn Jenkins, Brandon Scherff & Folorunso Fatukasi would be higher cut candidates at the moment over Darious Williams.

5. CB ENNIS RAKESTRAW JR., MISSOURI
BIG BOARD RANK: 27
Rakestraw is an incredibly smart and savvy off-coverage cornerback who plays in a way that makes watching his film a joy. Before the plays are even snapped, you can see evidence of his football IQ with his pre-snap communication and adjustments to motion. He does most of his work in off-coverage (Cover 3, quarters and underneath zones) and does so beautifully, showing excellent spacing and ability to pass off routes with ease. He is not asked to play press or single coverage often, which makes me wonder about the true mirror/recovery speed, but his skill set of fluid hips, quick feet, good burst and excellent instincts give him starting-caliber traits.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024, 04:22 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-29-2024, 04:00 PM)jaglou53 Wrote:

Cornerback looks like one of the deepest positions in this draft. Most would agree that the Jaguars greatest needs are interior OL, interior DL, and cornerback since Williams is over 30 and expensive (keep him with re-structured contract, but still need depth). Wide receiver is 4th depending on what happens with Ridley and Jones.

When looking at free agency and the draft, finding a difference-making DT who can rush the passer will be difficult since the best free agents will be very expensive and the draft is not very deep at this position. For that reason, I'd take either Newton or Murphy in the 1st round and a cornerback in the 2nd. There are likely to be some very good corners who fall to round 2. T.J. Tampa, Rakestraw, Khyree Jackson, Lassiter and Kalen King are all possibilities. Rakestraw and Tampa would likely require a trade up in round 2, but this would be the best route to go in securing the physical, press corner that Nielsen prefers. Unless more pressure is placed on opposing quarterbacks, it would be difficult for any corners to find success and that's why I'd prefer Newton or Murphy in round 1. Sign DaQuan Jones in free agency as the nose tackle which would free up Newton/Murphy and Hamilton to penetrate from the inside.

With DT and cornerback addressed in rounds 1 and 2, the Jaguars will have a number of good options at guard and center in round 3 and in free agency. Damien Lewis would be my free agent pick at guard with Van Pran a consideration at center in round 3.

Keeps boiling down to what they do in free agency first. If it's offensive centric and they get away with signing a new starting caliber guard, center and rotational player to help the tackles out we'll probably see them go EDGE or WR in RD1 and CB in RD2. This is all based on the idea that they'll probably lose Ridley to free agency and decide to cut, for whatever reason, Darious Williams. 

This is a good draft though to double down at the same position. I would go x2 at WR, x2 at CB and x2 at DT in this draft just based on the depth available in each round. I just think it's a little wild that they would take Rakestraw with the 17th pick over a variety of other positions and players with more than likely more versatility and impact to offer.

(02-29-2024, 04:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 5. CB ENNIS RAKESTRAW JR., MISSOURI
Rakestraw is an incredibly smart and savvy off-coverage cornerback who plays in a way that makes watching his film a joy. Before the plays are even snapped, you can see evidence of his football IQ with his pre-snap communication and adjustments to motion. He does most of his work in off-coverage (Cover 3, quarters and underneath zones) and does so beautifully, showing excellent spacing and ability to pass off routes with ease. He is not asked to play press or single coverage often, which makes me wonder about the true mirror/recovery speed, but his skill set of fluid hips, quick feet, good burst and excellent instincts give him starting-caliber traits.

Seems the complete opposite of what everybody else is saying. Which is why I don't get the infatuation all of a sudden. Reeks of smoke and mirrors in my opinion. If you want all of that above? With a guy that offers more at safety and on special teams? Why not just take Cooper DeJean there instead out of Iowa?

Braden Fiske is a freak for someone his size.

(02-29-2024, 04:18 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 04:00 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Cornerback looks like one of the deepest positions in this draft. Most would agree that the Jaguars greatest needs are interior OL, interior DL, and cornerback since Williams is over 30 and expensive (keep him with re-structured contract, but still need depth). Wide receiver is 4th depending on what happens with Ridley and Jones.

Keeps boiling down to what they do in free agency first. If it's offensive centric and they get away with signing a new starting caliber guard, center and rotational player to help the tackles out we'll probably see them go EDGE or WR in RD1 and CB in RD2. This is all based on the idea that they'll probably lose Ridley to free agency and decide to cut, for whatever reason, Darious Williams. 

This is a good draft though to double down at the same position. I would go x2 at WR, x2 at CB and x2 at DT in this draft just based on the depth available in each round. I just think it's a little wild that they would take Rakestraw with the 17th pick over a variety of other positions and players with more than likely more versatility and impact to offer.

(02-29-2024, 04:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: 5. CB ENNIS RAKESTRAW JR., MISSOURI

Seems the complete opposite of what everybody else is saying. Which is why I don't get the infatuation all of a sudden. Reeks of smoke and mirrors in my opinion. If you want all of that above? With a guy that offers more at safety and on special teams? Why not just take Cooper DeJean there instead out of Iowa?
Agreed.  Hopefully Rakestraw is a guy they are looking at in the 2nd.  I have a hard time believing he is CB1 for them

(02-29-2024, 04:21 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: Braden Fiske is a freak for someone his size.

Yep. His production will match the athlete you see today. I bet he ends up going from a 3rd RD pick after today to an early 2nd to mid 2nd RD pick. 

His stock will go up because the two monsters out of Texas just went up with their title run putting them on full display. Murphy and Sweat were guys I was hoping we could have landed on day two to now being guys you have to take in RD1 more than likely. 

Has Leonard Taylor III ran yet? Out of Miami, FL? Or Darious Robinson out of Missouri? Those are two more freak athletes that are fixing to shuffle everybody's draft board more than likely after today.

Ruke Orhorhoro: 6'4 294 34 inch arms, second in broad jump among DTs with a 9'8. Tied for 3rd in Vertical at 32 inches

Just ran 4.90 with an impressive 1.67 10 yard split, unofficially

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024, 04:40 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Fiske arms are to short for Baalke

(02-29-2024, 04:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Fiske arms are to short for Baalke

Ruke with another 4.9. He might be the guy to watch.

(This post was last modified: 02-29-2024, 05:01 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-29-2024, 04:43 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(02-29-2024, 04:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Fiske arms are to short for Baalke

Ruke with another 4.9. He might be the guy to watch.

I really like Kris Jenkins.  Been high on him for a while. Championship pedigree, has the bloodline, good size, long arms, a beast against the run and has potential to be a high end interior pass rusher