Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Offensive Line 2024

(03-11-2024, 02:37 PM)Jag149 Wrote: OK updated

LT - Cam Robinson - Walker Little
LG - Ezra Cleveland - Free Agent/Draft
C  -  Mitch Morse - Luke Fortner
RG - Brandon Sheriff - Cooper Hodges
RT - Anton Harrison - Free Agent/Draft

We resigned Hance as well

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-11-2024, 02:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 02:37 PM)Jag149 Wrote: OK updated

LT - Cam Robinson - Walker Little
LG - Ezra Cleveland - Free Agent/Draft
C  -  Mitch Morse - Luke Fortner
RG - Brandon Sheriff - Cooper Hodges
RT - Anton Harrison - Free Agent/Draft

We resigned Hance as well

Yea, forgot that my bad. I figured he was a practice squad guy like last year.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(03-11-2024, 02:44 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 02:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We resigned Hance as well

He played in some games for us last year.

(03-11-2024, 02:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 02:44 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Yea, forgot that my bad. I figured he was a practice squad guy like last year.

He played in some games for us last year.

Yea, he came off the practice squad to do that. I remember the angst when they cut him to let him clear waivers. Those 24 hours were interesting.  I kind or want them to still use 2 picks in this year's draft on the o-line, now for depth and the future. This year's draft is deep in quality beef. Who knows the future could be sometime after the first half of the season. At least they go into this draft with less pressure

(03-11-2024, 02:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 02:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He played in some games for us last year.

Yea, he came off the practice squad to do that. I remember the angst when they cut him to let him clear waivers. Those 24 hours were interesting.  I kind or want them to still use 2 picks in this year's draft on the o-line, now for depth and the future. This year's draft is deep in quality beef. Who knows the future could be sometime after the first half of the season. At least they go into this draft with less pressure
I definitely think we draft a few lineman this year

(03-11-2024, 02:44 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 02:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We resigned Hance as well

What are you talking about?  Hance was on the active roster for all 17 games last year.

(03-11-2024, 11:07 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 02:44 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Yea, forgot that my bad. I figured he was a practice squad guy like last year.

What are you talking about?  Hance was on the active roster for all 17 games last year.

Hance was released in final cuts last season. He was gone for 2 days then resigned to the active roster. It was done so that Tugboat could clear to the IR and Hance was penciled in as a starter week 1 even when they cut him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-11-2024, 11:23 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(03-11-2024, 11:07 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: What are you talking about?  Hance was on the active roster for all 17 games last year.

Hance was released in final cuts last season. He was gone for 2 days then resigned to the active roster. It was done so that Tugboat could clear to the IR and Hance was penciled in as a starter week 1 even when they cut him.

My bad, I remembered the cut and then bringing him back. I thought it was the practice squad. Yea it was insurance for Cam's 6 game suspension. Maybe it is because I value him as a versatile warm body. I could be wrong there wouldn't be the first time.

Hance took Josh Wells spot once he got injured IIRC.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(03-12-2024, 07:02 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Hance took Josh Wells spot once he got injured IIRC.

Likely correct, Hance has much more versatility though since he can play 4 positions if needed. I wish he'd get better, the idea that he could be the new and improved version of Shatley is intriguing. If he could do that and we get another C/G to replace Fortner as the back up/future center then we'd have decent depth on the line. I want new blood to compete with the left tackles, but it's likely we go with pretty much what we have. I think most agree that we've already upgraded the most heinous blot on the o-line, and if that's all it could make this group League average.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

So I did a little research on the current projected rankings of offensive lines in 2024. The best ranking was from PFF at 21, and the lowest was from FTN at 31. Most of the others had the Jags hovering around 24th in the league. I think the general consensus here is that Mitch Morse (and a healthy Cleveland [this is for NYC4Jags]) will add to the running and pass protection game, but I'm curious to see where the board would rank the OL in 2024?

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2024, 01:23 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-23-2024, 11:56 AM)cland Wrote: So I did a little research on the current projected rankings of offensive lines in 2024.  The best ranking was from PFF at 21, and the lowest was from FTN at 31.  Most of the others had the Jags hovering around 24th in the league.  I think the general consensus here is that Mitch Morse (and a healthy Cleveland [this is for NYC4Jags]) will add to the running and pass protection game, but I'm curious to see where the board would rank the OL in 2024?

Until it proves otherwise? Bottom of the pack for me. 27th - 32nd range. The inability to run the football really bothers me and that's because this is one of, if not, the worst run blocking unit in the NFL. They have shown this now for two years in a row, probably three, and, if Morse is the answer? Great. If he's not? Baalke and Pederson better be ready to hit the deck this from the local writers, reporters and fanbase because the majority of us have been saying this has been an issue now for years. 

I also think the inability to run the football is hindering Lawrence's pure arm talent. Doing the quick, dink and dunk [BLEEP] has worked here and there to hover above .500, but, we can't really open it up and let the kid air it out because there's no respect towards the running game, there's no reason to buy a play action fake, and there's rarely anytime for him to set up a five step drop back for a deep shot. They have to get it done in 2024.

All it takes is one injury to Morse to having the same [BLEEP] line-up from last year out there. It's like slapping a piece of [BLEEP] scotch tape on a problem that really needed industrial grade duct tape and maybe a quick patch up with Flexispray on top of that. I have remained ever the optimistic one. Will continue to do so.

But, I would be lying if I said I wasn't concerned and I am hoping like hell that the line holds up and shows noticeable improvement as soon as the first preseason game takes place.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(05-23-2024, 11:56 AM)cland Wrote: So I did a little research on the current projected rankings of offensive lines in 2024.  The best ranking was from PFF at 21, and the lowest was from FTN at 31.  Most of the others had the Jags hovering around 24th in the league.  I think the general consensus here is that Mitch Morse (and a healthy Cleveland [this is for NYC4Jags]) will add to the running and pass protection game, but I'm curious to see where the board would rank the OL in 2024?

It's an unknown. 

Pederson has talked about adjusting blocking schemes this year and we have essentially two new pieces at the formerly worst positions on the line.  No way to know how that ends up. 

There's nothing anyone can do but take a stab in the dark guess. 

I've said it 12 times already, but if this tuned up OL doesn't climb out of the cellar and somewhere near the middle of the pack - we will be squandering a nice collection of offensive firepower and likely watching the postseason as bystanders. 

My hope is they go from the 30's to around a 18-20th ranked OL in pass pro and run block win rates.  

Better would be great, but just that ^ much would alter our points forced column by a wide margin.

If the ranking just starts with a 2 instead of a 3 it will be a win.

(05-23-2024, 02:54 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: If the ranking just starts with a 2 instead of a 3 it will be a win.

Maybe if it's at 20, or 21. They should be aiming for the top 10 rankings. I would be happy with 19th or better.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Let us hope

My hope is with the new additions veteran, back from injury and drafted they can form a cohesive unit. The O-line is the one of the position groups where it takes time for them to be effective as a unit. We lacked that all last year. The reduction in pre season games effect these guys the most.

When you can’t run the ball, it’s hard to pass.

(05-25-2024, 08:31 PM)Newton Wrote: When you can’t run the ball, it’s hard to pass.

Jordan de Lugo's last line in that tweet was that the "Jags have a good pass protecting OL."  Based on this board's opinion, that couldn't be any less true. 

This is why I'm such a skeptic of PFF's graphs.