Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Early Mock Draft - 2024

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2024, 08:32 AM by Mikey.)

(04-19-2024, 09:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 08:32 AM)Mikey Wrote: PREACH

....see this note is specifically why I'm not as worried about day one starter with our first round pick. If we can move back, grab someone like JPJ, and have Morse in place while he gets that ankle fully healed, all the better. If it lands us a potential top5 at their position for the next 5 years or longer, that's a significant win.

Gotta do the homework on those medicals, though.

I've been high on JPP for a while now but if they really wanted JPP they wouldn't of signed Morse and we would have just taken JPP at 17. JPP could be a day 1 starter imo.

Signing Morse gives you insurance. Aren't you the BAP guy? You move back in the darft, and if he's the top guy you take him regardless of who you signed in the offseason.

Not like we set the market with Morse's deal. It's two years, minimal (relatively) cap impact. If it affords you the opportunity to take the best guy WITHOUT desperately swinging for that guy at 17 (JPJ is not value at that spot). Having a guy like Morse ensures we aren't throwing a rook to the wolves, but also making sure that the interim isn't a disaster like things were with Fortner in the middle.

I'm not saying he's their guy. Even if he was, it would have been foolhardy to go into April with nothing more at C than Fortner, camp bodies, and the hope that JPJ is on the board at 17.

(04-19-2024, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 12:33 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I don't think Morse's contract prohibits taking a Center in this draft.  You fill holes in free agency.  You don't go into the draft with an obvious hole on your roster or that should be a general goal at least.  Sometimes it's unavoidable I guess, like if you're picking high and you have a hole at QB like most teams picking high do.  But going in with holes at other positions is just telegraphing your needs and intentions to other teams who may try to trade up in front of you to snipe you.

I don't think his contract does either.  My point is they wouldn't have even signed Morse if their plan was to draft JPP.  I think we draft a center I'm just talking about JPP in the first.  I think we draft  Bortolini

We wouldn't have a shot at Powers-Pohnson if we didn't sign Morse in the offseason. That's Jrescisely the joint Paguarmeister was making.

If the only move we make this offseason is re-upping Shatley everyone and their brother is gonna know that OC is a priority for us, especially with Doug's and Trevor's input regarding the status quo.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-19-2024, 01:25 PM).AnOldBrownie Wrote: Would you take Joe Alt at 17 if for some reason he slipped in the draft?  I'd take him in a heart beat.

I don't even think a gas mask bong photo could get him to fall that far. If he starts slipping, SOMEONE will trade up to get him.

(04-22-2024, 08:27 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-19-2024, 09:16 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I've been high on JPP for a while now but if they really wanted JPP they wouldn't of signed Morse and we would have just taken JPP at 17. JPP could be a day 1 starter imo.

Signing Morse gives you insurance. Aren't you the BAP guy? You move back in the darft, and if he's the top guy you take him regardless of who you signed in the offseason.

Not like we set the market with Morse's deal. It's two years, minimal (relatively) cap impact. If it affords you the opportunity to take the best guy WITHOUT desperately swinging for that guy at 17 (JPJ is not value at that spot). Having a guy like Morse ensures we aren't throwing a rook to the wolves, but also making sure that the interim isn't a disaster like things were with Fortner in the middle.

I'm not saying he's their guy. Even if he was, it would have been foolhardy to go into April with nothing more at C than Fortner, camp bodies, and the hope that JPJ is on the board at 17.

(04-19-2024, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I don't think his contract does either.  My point is they wouldn't have even signed Morse if their plan was to draft JPP.  I think we draft a center I'm just talking about JPP in the first.  I think we draft  Bortolini

We wouldn't have a shot at Powers-Pohnson if we didn't sign Morse in the offseason. That's Jrescisely the joint Paguarmeister was making.

If the only move we make this offseason is re-upping Shatley everyone and their brother is gonna know that OC is a priority for us, especially with Doug's and Trevor's input regarding the status quo.

Why wouldn't we have a shot at JPJ if we didn't sign Morse?  I don't think that was his point.  Nobody is jumping to the top half of the first for a center lol .

(04-22-2024, 10:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 08:27 AM)Mikey Wrote: Signing Morse gives you insurance. Aren't you the BAP guy? You move back in the darft, and if he's the top guy you take him regardless of who you signed in the offseason.

Why wouldn't we have a shot at JPJ if we didn't sign Morse?  I don't think that was his point.  Nobody is jumping to the top half of the first for a center lol .

Maybe not, but you can't say that with any level of certainty.  If no one would be overly shocked at JPJ at 17, why would they then be overly shocked if someone traded up to 16 and selected him?

I think he goes in the mid to late 20's personally, but I wouldn't be surprised or upset at all if we selected him at 17.

(04-22-2024, 11:35 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 10:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Why wouldn't we have a shot at JPJ if we didn't sign Morse?  I don't think that was his point.  Nobody is jumping to the top half of the first for a center lol .

Maybe not, but you can't say that with any level of certainty.  If no one would be overly shocked at JPJ at 17, why would they then be overly shocked if someone traded up to 16 and selected him?

I think he goes in the mid to late 20's personally, but I wouldn't be surprised or upset at all if we selected him at 17.

I'm pretty confident he won't go before us.  Depends on who is on the board for me but I'd be fine with it as well.   I'd bet anything Baalke won't take him in the first

(04-22-2024, 10:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 08:27 AM)Mikey Wrote: Signing Morse gives you insurance. Aren't you the BAP guy? You move back in the darft, and if he's the top guy you take him regardless of who you signed in the offseason.

If we didn't sign Morse, we all but of to address OC in the darft, and early.
Signing Morse affords us the flexibility to move OFF of 17 without needing to swing for a center.
When we signed Morse and at the time have the combine JPJ was all but pencilied in for the Phins 4 spots from us, and some mocks ofed him going earlier, especially at 16 to SEA.

Not one person here said we wouldn't of a shot at him at 17. Just because we signed Morse to a two year deal in no way suggests that we don't of longer term interest in anyone, JPJ included, to address the position (your statement, not mine).

You don't put your eggs in one basket. You don't sign Morse, JPJ's ankle is worse than initially suspected, now you either need to WAAAAAAAAY overdarft Frazier, or spend extra capital to move where he fits, or roll with someone lower on the board who may end up closer to Fortner, you piss off your QB by doing next to nothing to address the line, but hey, at least we didn't spend a pittance on a contingency plan. Smurt.

I think we can all agree that JPJ at 17 is bonkers crazy valuation. You're gonna leave a bunch of value on the board by passing on others at that spot, and taking your guy probably 5-8 spots ahead of where he fits. So you sign the backup plan to a decent, yet not crippling, offer. You plan to wiggle in the darft, because there will be other guys on the board at 17 that other teams may want to jump for. You can get some value out of moving, but you risk missing out on your guy. So long as the trade nets value and you can still address the other needs, missing that one guy might not be so bad. If he were too good to miss out on, you stay put and pick your guy even if everyone else says it's overpaid.

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2024, 02:32 PM by TheDogCatcher. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-22-2024, 11:48 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 11:35 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: Maybe not, but you can't say that with any level of certainty.  If no one would be overly shocked at JPJ at 17, why would they then be overly shocked if someone traded up to 16 and selected him?

I'm pretty confident he won't go before us.  Depends on who is on the board for me but I'd be fine with it as well.   I'd bet anything Baalke won't take him in the first

I don't want a center in the first round either. If O-line is the pick, take a right guard mauler who can potentially play right tackle. A few of those guys will be available at #17. Then Harrison can move to left tackle, where he can really shine, after Robinson finally departs. It's like a two-fer pick.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 04-22-2024, 02:46 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-22-2024, 01:37 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-22-2024, 10:58 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Why wouldn't we have a shot at JPJ if we didn't sign Morse?  I don't think that was his point.  Nobody is jumping to the top half of the first for a center lol .

If we didn't sign Morse, we all but of to address OC in the darft, and early.
Signing Morse affords us the flexibility to move OFF of 17 without needing to swing for a center.
When we signed Morse and at the time have the combine JPJ was all but pencilied in for the Phins 4 spots from us, and some mocks ofed him going earlier, especially at 16 to SEA.

Not one person here said we wouldn't of a shot at him at 17. Just because we signed Morse to a two year deal in no way suggests that we don't of longer term interest in anyone, JPJ included, to address the position (your statement, not mine).

You don't put your eggs in one basket. You don't sign Morse, JPJ's ankle is worse than initially suspected, now you either need to WAAAAAAAAY overdarft Frazier, or spend extra capital to move where he fits, or roll with someone lower on the board who may end up closer to Fortner, you piss off your QB by doing next to nothing to address the line, but hey, at least we didn't spend a pittance on a contingency plan. Smurt.

I think we can all agree that JPJ at 17 is bonkers crazy valuation. You're gonna leave a bunch of value on the board by passing on others at that spot, and taking your guy probably 5-8 spots ahead of where he fits
. So you sign the backup plan to a decent, yet not crippling, offer. You plan to wiggle in the darft, because there will be other guys on the board at 17 that other teams may want to jump for. You can get some value out of moving, but you risk missing out on your guy. So long as the trade nets value and you can still address the other needs, missing that one guy might not be so bad. If he were too good to miss out on, you stay put and pick your guy even if everyone else says it's overpaid.

I never said I dont think we draft a center.  I think we take Bortolini. JPJ was all over the place in mocks and still is.  We signed Morse because he is a top half center in the league.

JPJ arms came in a little shorter than expected.  This is the deepest center class in some time. If we wanted JPJ though we wouldn't of signed Morse. 

JPJ is a day 1 starter imo.  Im pretty sure Baalke doesn't think he will be the top player available when we pick.  This is the deepest center class I remember though and there are a number of centers in this draft that will be better than Fortner.

As far as the bolded, It depends on who is on the board.  Depending on who is available I don't think he is bad value at 17.  Just depends on where you rank him.  With that said I dont think Baalke has him rated as high as some of us on this board.  By the bolded it looks like you don't think he is a top 17 player in this draft.

(04-23-2024, 03:50 AM)StrayaJag Wrote: https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2024/04...nfl-draft/

Interesting as all draft nuggests are, but I wouldn't read too much into this.  For one, it's lying season/week and two I would expect any GM to have preliminary conversations with other teams in front of them about hypothetically moving up and determining approximate cost ahead of time.  It's just part of being prepared for a draft which is by its very nature unpredictable.

Also, I would expect most smart GMs that receive calls about their pick to entertain offers and feign interest in potentially trading it away on draft day even if they have no interest in moving off of their pick.  If you're foolish enough to communicate that you have no interest in moving off of your pick in the lead up to the draft, then you probably have a specific target which you've also now inadvertently communicated to the other GM(s) and now you may have lit a fire under someone to get in front of you if they believe you are targeting their guy.

My favorite day of the year to do a mock is Friday or tomorrow night, the day after the first round.

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2024, 06:31 PM by I am Yoda. Edited 1 time in total.)

Pure pie in the sky.  But, what the heck?

#8 Rome Odunze (trade with Atlanta #17, #96, and 2025 3rd rounder.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(04-24-2024, 06:29 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: Pure pie in the sky.  But, what the heck?

#8 Rome Odunze (trade with Atlanta #17, #96, and 2025 3rd rounder.
In a heart beat.

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2024, 11:14 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

Peter Schaeger just released his mock and has the Jags taking Xavier Worthy….

With Fuaga, Quinyon, Fautanu, BTJ and Dejean still on the board lol

No chance. FWIW though, he’s also in the camp of the Jags moving up.

(04-25-2024, 07:12 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Peter Schaefer just released his mock and has the Jags taking Xavier Worthy….

With Fuaga, Quinyon, Fautanu, BTJ and Dejean still on the board lol

No chance. FWIW though, he’s also in the camp of the Jags moving up.

Sounds like he's been sitting in Baalke's office then.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-25-2024, 12:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-...-draft-4-0

Not a sexy pick, but I wouldn't be mad about it.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-25-2024, 01:33 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-25-2024, 12:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/lance-zierlein-...-draft-4-0

I doubt those trades happen in the top 10. I think the only thing that happens is one of DEN, MIN or LV trades up for McCarthy and it's probably MIN with their two 1sts that gets it done.

The more I watch Arnold and see his interviews the more I like him. I'd be good with Arnold at 17 but not my top guy