Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you grade the Draft
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Baalke 2024 Draft Grade

(05-01-2024, 10:43 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I gave it a B-.  I liked the first pick and that's the most important pick.  I would have been happy with Thomas at #17, but we got three picks by trading down.  Next year, we'll be happy to have that extra 3rd and 4th round pick.

We drafted at all of our needs with the exception of IOL.  However, I'm not sure they correctly prioritized those needs.  For example, I thought cornerback was our biggest need and we waited until a third round comp pick.  I wanted a defensive end no later than the 4th round and we waited until the 7th round, etc.

Unlike some, I have no problem with drafting a kicker.  I thought we should and would.  In regards to the running back / kick returner, I don't particularly like the player, but I didn't have a problem with using a late round pick on that position.  The new kickoff rules are expected to encourage the use of two returners.  I also think most people are forgetting that keeping 4 running backs on your 53 man roster is the norm.  We began last year with 4 on the roster.  It was only after the injuries occurred and the Jaguars were desperate for available roster spots that they decided to release Hasty mid-season.  For a healthy opening day roster, I would expect them to go back to 4.  Prior to the draft, the Jaguars only had scrubs to fill that fourth spot.

In regard to value, I have serious questions.  I realize that mock drafts and player evaluations aren't always right.  However, they aren't always wrong either.  It's an indication.  If they are right, we reached on virtually every pick outside of the first and last round.  Let's hope they are wrong.  I could see this draft going in a lot of different directions.  I do consider many of these to be "boom or bust" type of picks.  If we hit on them, it could potentially be a very good draft.

This is fair. I went B+ because they moved down six or seven spots and picked-up a future 3rd and 4th. That's considered the 9th most lopsided trade in recent history. I think that can't be overlooked. 

In regards to the offensive line. Sure, would have liked one more lineman added, but, all things considered. Here's how I see it. 

They signed Morse, which addresses the weakest position and player on the team in Fortner. 
They brought back Cleveland, after they traded for him last year. When he's healthy, he's a damn good guard. 
They drafted Harrison last year at RT, who played well with a bum shoulder. 
They're bringing back Cooper Hodges from last year. 
They drafted Javon Foster as the next swing tackle. 
They kept Cam Robinson for LT.
They still have Walker Little who should honestly get put through the ringer this year at LT/LG/RG with his final year left.
They signed UDFA Steven Jones at RG who is an absolute whopper and played pretty good for the Oregon Ducks. 

There's some hope here for this offensive line. There really is. I expect them to be on better track this summer but we'll see. Had the maybe added Limmer out of Arkansas at C or Mahogany who kept slipping out of Boston College, I probably would have bumped their grade up to an A.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I gave this a B.

I felt needs were covered for the most part. The value in certain rounds were questionable with who was still available.

Favorite pick: Jarrian Jones (3rd)
NB has been needing a solid player for so many years on this team. You get one of the better NB press corners in the draft.

Worst pick: Keilan Robinson (5th)
Wasn't a need. Could have went 7th round or UDFA for a special team returner. Players available at this pick were greater value + need picks that were passed on.

(05-02-2024, 11:16 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 10:11 AM)Jags32250 Wrote: So you’re a needs drafter, got it.

On the contrary. The value of IOL was skewed this draft because the class was unusually deep. We made no moves fit picks where value met need. So either we sat on our hands and relied on value to fall to our picks, or just took BPA on our board when our turn came up, or we gave zero farts about value or need and just targeted the guys we picked.

Are you trying to say that the guys we took where we took em represented such value that we woulda been foolish not to take them where we did, while continuing to leave the line practically unchanged in three days of picks? Were the IOL guys on the board when we picked that mediocre that choosing yet another reserve DB or a kick returner was that much more valuable to the improvement of our roster? It wasn't even just about IOL, either. Guys were sliding all over this draft, and may not be immediate need, but represented development potential. Depth today, but possibly starter in a year or two. Someone to save you from having to rely on overpriced FA when the current guys get pricey or old, or both. Were we truly taking best guys available?
The problem with your theory is you don’t know what the Jags board looked like. You are either A assuming you are a better talent evaluator than an NFL front office or B believe the media is.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-draft-grade...south-2024

Some more media shedding love too, you haters are running out of ammo.

(05-02-2024, 03:13 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-draft-grade...south-2024

So all the AFC South did great?

[BLEEP]. The media are idiots.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2024, 03:49 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-02-2024, 03:13 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-draft-grade...south-2024

Actually that worries me more. We "won" the off season and had all their love before the 2019, 2020, 2021 seasons. We went 6-10, 1-15, 3-14 those seasons.  I gave the a conditional D. If they IMPROVE the backup interior offensive line depth I would improve it to a C.  Want to help the defense? FIX the line so the defense doesn't get worn down halfway through the season. This is not like the old days when players would use PED's to quicken their recovery time between games. Picking a tackle was a beginning. Between now and the season they need to acquire a guard. If this UDFA is the guy then ok, they get a C from me.

I posted earlier my thoughts on each pick. IF the LSU contingent works out it can go to a B. If not the coach that bet on them (House?) needs to go. During each pick there were good candidates available they had lower because of his input. Not A hater so don't need bullets. Just a realist.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(05-02-2024, 03:27 PM)snarkyguy_he_him_his Wrote:

So all the AFC South did great?

[BLEEP]. The media are idiots.

Not my opinion, just adding perspective since some seem to hold too much weight in these opinions.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2024, 04:03 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-02-2024, 03:39 PM)Jag149 Wrote:

Actually that worries me more. We "won" the off season and had all their love before the 2019, 2020, 2021 seasons. We went 6-10, 1-15, 3-14 those seasons.  I gave the a conditional D. If they IMPROVE the backup interior offensive line depth I would improve it to a C.  Want to help the defense? FIX the line so the defense doesn't get worn down halfway through the season. This is not like the old days when players would use PED's to quicken their recovery time between games. Picking a tackle was a beginning. Between now and the season they need to acquire a guard. If this UDFA is the guy then ok, they get a C from me.

I posted earlier my thoughts on each pick. IF the LSU contingent works out it can go to a B. If not the coach that bet on them (House?) needs to go. During each pick there were good candidates available they had lower because of his input.

Boils down to your needs and overall value. I think the clots had the best draft of the AFC South in my opinion. 

They landed a highly productive EDGE rusher in Latu. Who, is probably a top 5 pick if not for the injury concerns. They stole Adonai Mitchell at 52. They bolstered their offensive line with Goncalves and Bortolini. Gould is a good KR/PR. 

With the Jaguars? Here's how I look at it. Most of the fanbase was clamoring for one of the following four things all season and immediately during the off season. 

1. Offensive Lineman.
2. Defensive Lineman.
3. Wide Receiver.
4. Cornerback. 

They drafted 1 WR, signed 2 WR's. +3. (Duvernay still counts, maybe an Agnew gadget type player even as a returner).
The drafted 1 OT, signed 1 OC, signed 1 LG (Cleveland counts, whether you like it or not). +3. 
They drafted 2 CB's, signed 1 CB and 1 SS/Nickel CB. +4
They drafted 2 DT's, signed 1 DT. +3

There's 11 starters on each side guys, you then have rotational players. The burden fell on the defensive side of the football this off season with the firing of Caldwell and the hiring of Nielsen. A somewhat radical change had to be made quickly to improve some of their issues from last year. Especially in the secondary and especially on the interior. 

When your team is head coached by an offensive mind? That tends to be the norm. Expectations shift towards "Head coach is offensive minded, he needs to make magic out of lunch meat, he has no defensive minded tendencies, we need to add more talent there for the coordinator to compensate". 

This isn't factoring in last year's off season and draft class as well. The only glaring area that they didn't really address was EDGE. But, again, this goes back to the interior of the line being so pathetically anemic and showing no impact at all, that, the expectation is that by raising the floor of standard within the interior room, that, the pass rush improves by default.

This is also not factoring in that they signed a few UDFA's at WR and a promising RG in Steven Jones as well. Plus picking up a future 3rd and 4th RD selections that could end up being really, really good in value if JJ McCarthy struggles earlier on as a rookie, in, what could be a 4th placed Vikings team in a loaded NFC North. Green Bay and Detroit looked the part last year. Chicago just got a big overhaul with a new QB in town. 

We'll see how it all pans out. I just think everybody has their own definitions of what value is and what value means to them, and that's perfectly fine, but, I wouldn't get my teal panties in a bunch until these players don't show up on the football field or completely stink out loud. 

Cheers! We're getting closer to rookie minicamp and training camp. When you hear how awesome Myles Cole and Joshua Cephus look running around in shorts? Just remember, they're still long shots to make the roster.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

It seems it boils down to draft strategy, needs vs BPA. This team has been burned way too much drafting for needs. If we are in fact drafting BPA, I’m a happy camper. Butt we don’t really know.

(05-02-2024, 04:48 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: It seems it boils down to draft strategy, needs vs BPA. This team has been burned way too much drafting for needs. If we are in fact drafting BPA, I’m a happy camper. Butt we don’t really know.

BPA = 

[Image: cartoon-santa-claus-carrying-sack-free-vector.jpg]

Everybody drafts needs with most of their early picks. 
They just lie about their board when they reach.

(05-02-2024, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 04:48 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: It seems it boils down to draft strategy, needs vs BPA. This team has been burned way too much drafting for needs. If we are in fact drafting BPA, I’m a happy camper. Butt we don’t really know.

BPA = 

If that’s what you believe, more power to ya. Howie Roseman just fit an interview quite to the contraire.

(05-02-2024, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

BPA = 

Not everybody, you forgot the Atlanta Falcons.

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2024, 05:46 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 2 times in total.)

(05-02-2024, 05:29 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: BPA = 

If that’s what you believe, more power to ya. Howie Roseman just fit an interview quite to the contraire.
He's been cluless about this for years. He has his way and he thinks everyone drafts the way he would lol. He lives in a fantasy would where every team drafts for need instead of some just taking the best player even if it's not a need. He'll you could argue every position is a need for every team because if it's not this year it will be in a year or 2. You're not just drafting for this year.

(05-02-2024, 05:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 05:29 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: If that’s what you believe, more power to ya. Howie Roseman just fit an interview quite to the contraire.
He's been cluless about this for years. He has his way and he thinks everyone drafts the way he would lol.  He lives in a fantasy would where every team drafts for need instead of some  just taking the best player even if it's not a need.  He'll you could argue every position is a need for every team because if it's not this year it will be in a year or 2.  You're not just drafting for this year.

Ironic you think he lives in a fantasy world.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(05-02-2024, 05:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 05:29 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: If that’s what you believe, more power to ya. Howie Roseman just fit an interview quite to the contraire.
He's been cluless about this for years. He has his way and he thinks everyone drafts the way he would lol.  He lives in a fantasy would where every team drafts for need instead of some  just taking the best player even if it's not a need.  He'll you could argue every position is a need for every team because if it's not this year it will be in a year or 2.  You're not just drafting for this year.
He was just interviewing and said the exact opposite.

(05-02-2024, 01:42 PM)Jagulars Wrote: I gave this a B.

I felt needs were covered for the most part. The value in certain rounds were questionable with who was still available.

Favorite pick: Jarrian Jones (3rd)
NB has been needing a solid player for so many years on this team. You get one of the better NB press corners in the draft.

Worst pick: Keilan Robinson (5th)
Wasn't a need. Could have went 7th round or UDFA for a special team returner. Players available at this pick were greater value + need picks that were passed on.

(05-02-2024, 03:54 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 03:39 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Actually that worries me more. We "won" the off season and had all their love before the 2019, 2020, 2021 seasons. We went 6-10, 1-15, 3-14 those seasons.  I gave the a conditional D. If they IMPROVE the backup interior offensive line depth I would improve it to a C.  Want to help the defense? FIX the line so the defense doesn't get worn down halfway through the season. This is not like the old days when players would use PED's to quicken their recovery time between games. Picking a tackle was a beginning. Between now and the season they need to acquire a guard. If this UDFA is the guy then ok, they get a C from me.

I posted earlier my thoughts on each pick. IF the LSU contingent works out it can go to a B. If not the coach that bet on them (House?) needs to go. During each pick there were good candidates available they had lower because of his input.

Boils down to your needs and overall value. I think the clots had the best draft of the AFC South in my opinion. 

They landed a highly productive EDGE rusher in Latu. Who, is probably a top 5 pick if not for the injury concerns. They stole Adonai Mitchell at 52. They bolstered their offensive line with Goncalves and Bortolini. Gould is a good KR/PR. 

With the Jaguars? Here's how I look at it. Most of the fanbase was clamoring for one of the following four things all season and immediately during the off season. 

1. Offensive Lineman.
2. Defensive Lineman.
3. Wide Receiver.
4. Cornerback. 

They drafted 1 WR, signed 2 WR's. +3. (Duvernay still counts, maybe an Agnew gadget type player even as a returner).
The drafted 1 OT, signed 1 OC, signed 1 LG (Cleveland counts, whether you like it or not). +3. 
They drafted 2 CB's, signed 1 CB and 1 SS/Nickel CB. +4
They drafted 2 DT's, signed 1 DT. +3

There's 11 starters on each side guys, you then have rotational players. The burden fell on the defensive side of the football this off season with the firing of Caldwell and the hiring of Nielsen. A somewhat radical change had to be made quickly to improve some of their issues from last year. Especially in the secondary and especially on the interior. 

When your team is head coached by an offensive mind? That tends to be the norm. Expectations shift towards "Head coach is offensive minded, he needs to make magic out of lunch meat, he has no defensive minded tendencies, we need to add more talent there for the coordinator to compensate". 

This isn't factoring in last year's off season and draft class as well. The only glaring area that they didn't really address was EDGE. But, again, this goes back to the interior of the line being so pathetically anemic and showing no impact at all, that, the expectation is that by raising the floor of standard within the interior room, that, the pass rush improves by default.

This is also not factoring in that they signed a few UDFA's at WR and a promising RG in Steven Jones as well. Plus picking up a future 3rd and 4th RD selections that could end up being really, really good in value if JJ McCarthy struggles earlier on as a rookie, in, what could be a 4th placed Vikings team in a loaded NFC North. Green Bay and Detroit looked the part last year. Chicago just got a big overhaul with a new QB in town. 

We'll see how it all pans out. I just think everybody has their own definitions of what value is and what value means to them, and that's perfectly fine, but, I wouldn't get my teal panties in a bunch until these players don't show up on the football field or completely stink out loud. 

Cheers! We're getting closer to rookie minicamp and training camp. When you hear how awesome Myles Cole and Joshua Cephus look running around in shorts? Just remember, they're still long shots to make the roster.

You say stole but there is video of the Jets GM just giddy the Colts took Adonai Mitchell while he was trying to get up to get his receiver choice.  Clearly some gms didn't like him.

The beauty of all this consternation is in the coming year to 3, it’ll not be subject for much debate. Truthfully, NONE of us know. So why not just sit back, root for Baalke as a Jag, and enjoy the ride?

(This post was last modified: 05-02-2024, 07:01 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-02-2024, 06:23 PM)Jags32250 Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 05:40 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: He's been cluless about this for years. He has his way and he thinks everyone drafts the way he would lol.  He lives in a fantasy would where every team drafts for need instead of some  just taking the best player even if it's not a need.  He'll you could argue every position is a need for every team because if it's not this year it will be in a year or 2.  You're not just drafting for this year.
He was just interviewing and said the exact opposite.
I'm not talking just about Baalke, he thinks every GM drafts for need.  Baalke has also been a very bad drafter.

(05-02-2024, 06:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 06:23 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: He was just interviewing and said the exact opposite.
I'm not talking just about Baalke, he thinks every GM drafts for need.  Baalke has also been a very bad drafter.

I’d say the book is still to be written. Doesn’t look great right now but to say very bad is premature. Time will tell.

(05-02-2024, 05:34 PM)cland Wrote:
(05-02-2024, 05:10 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: BPA = 

Not everybody, you forgot the Atlanta Falcons.

The falcons were smoking something different 

Hell maybe they can see into the future