Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: What do you grade the Draft
A
A-
B+
B
B-
C+
C
C-
D+
D
D-
F
[Show Results]

Baalke 2024 Draft Grade

Let's Break it all down:

1st round: He traded down from 17 to 23.  Picked up an extra 5th round this year and an extra 3rd and 4th round pick next year.  Still ended up getting the man he wanted. Brian Thomas had the size and speed every coach wants at receiver. 17 tds last year is eye popping.  This could be better than Ridley.  My favorite Baalke draft move= A+
2nd round: Maason Smith: I originally gave the move a C but after more review have upgraded it to a B. The potential, size, and tools are there. If he lives up to the talent it could be a homerun.
3rd round: Jarrian Jones:  Some had him as the #2 cb in the draft. Great man to man skills. Also speedy and athletic.
4th round: Javon Foster: 6'5 313 Olinemen.  I am guessing backup guard. Hopefully he can push for a starting role. 
4th round: Jordan Jefferson: Another LSU big man. You can never have enough of these. Another big boy at 6'3 313
5th round Deantre Prince:  The guy has played QB, Receiver, DB, Running back, etc.  A versatile player they may find a role for.
5th round: Kelan Robinson: A RB with experience returning kicks.  Probably a special teams role right away.
6th round: Cam Little: A kicker who will compete for a job.  May or may not make the roster. Strong accurate leg.
7th round: Myles Cole: A DL with some good combine numbers. Will compete for a spot

Overall, I liked this draft. Outside of fleecing the Vikings there were no real trades for the Jags.  They sat put and made this roster better. The major critic I have is that I think we should of acquired more big men on the offensive line.  Overall I give the Draft a B

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

A

We got guys for all the positions of need that we had. How well they will translate into the NFL is anyone's guess right now but like we added some big guys to the roster. We got pushed around way too easily last year.

With FA moves and draft, Baalke has done a pretty good job this offseason addressing areas of concern and shaking the roster up a bit.

Now it's up to the coaches and players to make it work.

Draft Grade: C

A very average draft. Nothing spectacular. Would've liked to see us do more for the O-line, but it is what it is. Any headscratchers were in the later rounds, where you can afford to take a gamble. BTJ is a good pick. Maason Smith seems like he could be boom or bust. I think there might have been better players to be had in the later rounds, but we'll see. A lot of these guys won't be in the league in a couple of years anyway. Some solid moves, some headscratchers, and nothing that made me think "Can't believe they got this player there.", but also nothing that makes me think "Did we really just draft a kicker in the third round?!" so yeah, C seems about right. Still don't feel this team is complete or ready to compete yet though.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 08:59 PM by JaG4LyFe. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think it was his best draft overall outside of the Smith pick. CBS analysts said it was a bum draft
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(04-27-2024, 08:24 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: We got guys for all the positions of need that we had. How well they will translate into the NFL is anyone's guess right now but like we added some big guys to the roster. We got pushed around way too easily last year.

With FA moves and draft, Baalke has done a pretty good job this offseason addressing areas of concern and shaking the roster up a bit.

Did we?  I think many wanted a guard/center.  When they drafted Foster, I wondered if the plan was to move him to guard.  However, in the after draft press conference, they indicated that he would be a swing tackle.  Even if he becomes an offensive tackle / guard, I don't see him playing center.  We're stuck with either Fortner or Shatley making the roster as our backup center and our starting center is a stop gap solution given his age.  Many saw that as a position of huge need.

We did draft our other needs IF we hit on our picks.  However, most were universally considered to be reaches.  Some were also taken later than what would seem to be ideal.  Many considered cornerback to be our biggest need and we waited until a comp pick in the third round.  Edge was also seen as a big need and we waited until the seventh round to draft one.  

It's not an awful draft, but not the greatest either.  Let's hope for the best.

(04-27-2024, 08:40 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Draft Grade: C

A very average draft. Nothing spectacular. Would've liked to see us do more for the O-line, but it is what it is. Any headscratchers were in the later rounds, where you can afford to take a gamble. BTJ is a good pick. Maason Smith seems like he could be boom or bust. I think there might have been better players to be had in the later rounds, but we'll see. A lot of these guys won't be in the league in a couple of years anyway. Some solid moves, some headscratchers, and nothing that made me think "Can't believe they got this player there.", but also nothing that makes me think "Did we really just draft a kicker in the third round?!" so yeah, C seems about right. Still don't feel this team is complete or ready to compete yet though.

I agree that we're still a playoff contender but not ready for AFCCG or higher yet barring a miracle run. I think this is the tricky spot we are in. We didn't do a 'traditional' rebuild of letting any talent go for picks and have 2-3 years of high draft picks to build around. Baalke went big on FA his first year, hit on a lot of players he bought in and we had a very good year. Now we are maneuvering around the cap trying to add and replace with tough decisions and mid round draft picks. 

Your hoping guys can outperform their expectations and coaches can scheme and playcall to the strengths of what they have to work with. That seems to be their idea with the Oline. Added Morse which is a definite improvement and get the coaches to get better performances from what they currently have.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 09:07 PM by JagFan81. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-27-2024, 08:52 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-27-2024, 08:24 PM)JagFan81 Wrote: We got guys for all the positions of need that we had. How well they will translate into the NFL is anyone's guess right now but like we added some big guys to the roster. We got pushed around way too easily last year.

Did we?  I think many wanted a guard/center.  When they drafted Foster, I wondered if the plan was to move him to guard.  However, in the after draft press conference, they indicated that he would be a swing tackle.  Even if he becomes an offensive tackle / guard, I don't see him playing center.  We're stuck with either Fortner or Shatley making the roster as our backup center and our starting center is a stop gap solution given his age.  Many saw that as a position of huge need.

We did draft our other needs IF we hit on our picks.  However, most were universally considered to be reaches.  Some were also taken later than what would seem to be ideal.  Many considered cornerback to be our biggest need and we waited until a comp pick in the third round.  Edge was also seen as a big need and we waited until the seventh round to draft one.  

It's not an awful draft, but not the greatest either.  Let's hope for the best.

Thats a fair assessment. We were very light on Dline and we didn't make any moves in FA so you knew that was an area that would be targeted heavily. Oline can definitely be improved but they seem to be rolling the dice with Morse as an addition and keeping Cleveland it can be better this year. It's a definite risk but we weren't going to be able to fix every problem this offseason. It's a big call and no idea if it will work. 

You could argue Thomas wasn't an essential pick but it gives them options with Kirk and Zays contracts going forward. I thought CB would be their move with Arnold there but obviously they weren't that high on him. 

I'm not saying any of these guys will be huge difference makers but the areas of the roster we were light numbers wise they addressed. Hopefully they can be key contributors.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 09:08 PM by JagFanatic24. Edited 1 time in total.)

I’m over here hoping we can get more than 3.5 sacks out of anybody not named Walker or Allen. Stroud must go down hard. Lawrence just gotta put his big boy pants on and make it work.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 09:20 PM by I am Yoda.)

I think we got good talent with our first 6 picks. These will all be guys that contribute. Grade: A

Our priorities, however, were askew. We needed at least 2 quality OL prospects. We only got one. And he will be a guy that may not start right away. We needed a starting quality guard and I’m not sure we got him. For neglecting the most important position group of need, grade: D.

For getting BTJ, the true X we have long needed, Grade: A+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(04-27-2024, 09:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/jacklich10/status/17...2466258957

Can we see a consensus versus actual rolling 3 year?  I bet it would look a lot different.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 09:43 PM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...8170598771
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...0622236734

Disagree on the corners. Arguably their 2 best picks

You can't win. You take BAP that doesn't fill a need a people belly ache. You take need and people lambast you for reaching. You have to have the perfect storm of a need position player with consensus value higher than where you select him and you need that to happen in every round for fans to be happy.

(04-27-2024, 09:40 PM)Eric1 Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...8170598771
https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status...0622236734

Sharp is ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 09:48 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

To have Jones as the 145th best player is comical

(04-27-2024, 09:45 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: You can't win.  You take BAP that doesn't fill a need a people belly ache.  You take need and people lambast you for reaching.  You have to have the perfect storm of a need position player with consensus value higher than where you select him and you need that to happen in every round for fans to be happy.

Says we had a top 10 draft last year using the same method lol

F

I can't believe Khan didn't can him months ago.

I reserve the right to save my real grade until jags  play some games with the new players.   so for tonight  i will give the jags a D due to they took a lot of defensive players.  D standing for defense not actual grade.  Jags only took 2 players for offensse. 

Run Trevor  Run

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2024, 10:45 PM by Jag149. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-27-2024, 07:39 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: Let's Break it all down:

1st round: He traded down from 17 to 23.  Picked up an extra 5th round this year and an extra 3rd and 4th round pick next year.  Still ended up getting the man he wanted. Brian Thomas had the size and speed every coach wants at receiver. 17 tds last year is eye popping.  This could be better than Ridley.  My favorite Baalke draft move= A+ I agree 
2nd round: Maason Smith: I originally gave the move a C but after more review have upgraded it to a B. The potential, size, and tools are there. If he lives up to the talent it could be a homerun. This is either an B or an F. We will have to wait and see much like Strange last year. Right now I give it a D because taking a swing like this with our second round pick is much like playing red or black on a roulette wheel with your salary for a year. We seem to do this every year in the second round. Anyone have the gambling anonymous phone number?
3rd round: Jarrian Jones:  Some had him as the #2 cb in the draft. Great man to man skills. Also speedy and athletic. I give it a B- as we currently do not have a real slot CB.  He has struggled outside in college and that will not improve at the pro level.   So a one trick pony.
4th round: Javon Foster: 6'5 313 Olinemen.  I am guessing backup guard. Hopefully he can push for a starting role. We needed a 4th tackle for depth. There were better options at the time, guess they didn't fit our culture. Grade C
4th round: Jordan Jefferson: Another LSU big man. You can never have enough of these. Another big boy at 6'3 313 All for getting bigger in the trenches. Since his coach, Matt House, is here well ok he gets what he wants but he puts his job on the line too. This applies to the Mason Smith selection too. Grade C
5th round Deantre Prince:  The guy has played QB, Receiver, DB, Running back, etc.  A versatile player they may find a role for.  A really fast little guy they may find a spot for? Seen that show before. Has all the makings of a tackle misser. Redundant player, we have a couple like him already. I guess we have one more now.       Grade D
5th round: Kelan Robinson: A RB with experience returning kicks.  Probably a special teams role right away. Guess we carry a 4th RB this year. We already have a returner and signed a FA one. Most likely a result of not having a clue on how to play the new kickoff rules. Grade C
6th round: Cam Little: A kicker who will compete for a job.  May or may not make the roster. Strong accurate leg. Kickers are a dime a dozen and while the guy may pan out. They can be brought in as UFA's easy enough. He would have gone undrafted if we didn't have a team. Grade of F
7th round: Myles Cole: A DL with some good combine numbers. Will compete for a spot Redundant player, we have a plethora of guys like this already and they have a year of development under their belt. He would have gone undrafted if we didn't have a team. Grade of F

Overall, I liked this draft. Outside of fleecing the Vikings there were no real trades for the Jags.  They sat put and made this roster better. The major critic I have is that I think we should of acquired more big men on the offensive line.  Overall I give the Draft a B

Bolded my comments. I actually was fine with our draft through the 3rd round. It then began going off the rails in my opinion. The offense got a nice shiny receiver in the first. The defense second and third rounds. The fourth round was split between defense and offense big guys. The fifth round should have been split as well giving us another big guy for the interior offensive line., the players were available. Instead we decided to "get cute" with the rest of the picks.  If we were going to take chances then the o-line was the one area they should be made in. I know my assessment is tainted by the lack of production by our interior o-line last year, so it may be a bit harsh.  Sure hope I am dead wrong.
A new broom always sweeps clean.