Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It's time to question coaching

Quote:I dont think they should get fired, but if this season is like last year's season, then year 3 will be a do-or-die season with their heads on the line.

So would improvement give them two more years? Or would the expectation still be do or die next year? I'm really trying to see what other people feel on this topic.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The veterans we had went 2-14 though. So it's basically which do you want. An old team that goes 2-14 or a young team with upside that went 4-12. They both are bad but at least the younger players can improve. Hopefully lol

In 2012, our average age was 26.06.

In 2013, our average age was 25.41

In 2014, our average age is 25.2

In 2012, we ranked 16th in this department.  Now we are 2nd youngest.

We have gotten younger, yes, especially on the offensive line and WR....  and we let guys like Greg Jones, Daryl Smith, and Potroast go, we've traded Monroe... Meester retired, Uche was cut... and there's your difference.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:The veterans we had went 2-14 though. So it's basically which do you want. An old team that goes 2-14 or a young team with upside that went 4-12. They both are bad but at least the younger players can improve. Hopefully lol

The problem was the signings he made were bad. He missed on literally every FA signing

Quote:So would improvement give them two more years? Or would the expectation still be do or die next year? I'm really trying to see what other people feel on this topic.
It depends on what you think improvement is.

For me, we need to get 6 wins this year. If not, I think we are underachieving and are behind.

Next year, we need to win 8 games.

So basically, over the next 2 years, if we don't win 14 games (out of the remaining 28...12 this year and 16 next), I would seriously consider firing them.

My number is 14. If we win 5 this year, then you gotta win 9 next year.

Those are my goals. I don't think they are unreasonable.. We have the 2nd easisest schedule this year in the entire NFL.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 08:09 AM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:It depends on what you think improvement is.

For me, we need to get 6 wins this year. If not, I think we are underachieving and are behind.

Next year, we need to win 8 games.

So basically, over the next 2 years, if we don't win 14 games (out of the remaining 28...12 this year and 16 next), I would seriously consider firing them.

My number is 14. If we win 5 this year, then you gotta win 9 next year.

Those are my goals. I don't think they are unreasonable.. We have the 2nd easisest schedule this year in the entire NFL.
Coming from where this team was when Cadwell took over, to expect a number of wins is kind of hard to do. I'm more focused on are we improving offensively. Are we improving pass rush. Things like that.

I know it sucks to think of those things as improvement but my perspective is based on where the team was when these two came here. This was a horrible team when they took over and had nothing to build around when they came. That's where I start judging them at.

Quote:Smiley Gus has done nothing that would remotely resemble Seattle. The D is experienced. They are the weakest link.

With offsides, poor tackling, big plays given up...every game so far and another 30+ point game , something is clearly wrong.

Is it coaching? Can someone give some insight? SMH is all I can do.

With that D and the porous OLine, the season is going downhill in a hurry.

Tampa went to Pittsburgh, played with pride and pulled one out. Something this team lacks.

Quote:When the team plays competitive in the first half, then falls flat in the second half, that tells you two things. The opposing team is making good adjustments, and your staff isnt

Quote:The consistent blowouts are alarming, you rarerly see that in the NFL, let a lone every week.
All very valid and fair points.  At this time you have to question coaching when the Raiders just fired their HC for going 0-4.   I don't think that Dave should fire Gus, but I do think that Gus needs to get the team coached up.  I dont even expect a win, but a decent showing on Defense would be a start.  Stop the bleeding, keep the opposing teams to at least 20 points a game and under 300 yards passing... I dont think thats asking to much as a fan with a Defensive minded HC.

Quote:In 2012, our average age was 26.06.

In 2013, our average age was 25.41

In 2014, our average age is 25.2

In 2012, we ranked 16th in this department.  Now we are 2nd youngest.

We have gotten younger, yes, especially on the offensive line and WR....  and we let guys like Greg Jones, Daryl Smith, and Potroast go, we've traded Monroe... Meester retired, Uche was cut... and there's your difference.
I think Seattle is the fourth youngest team in the NFL so I fail to see your arguement / excuse for a defensive minded HC whom took many players and coaches from Seattle only to finish dead last in Defense.  The team is the worst against the pass in the NFL, and I agree a lot of that is the FS, OLB, and CB's fault.  Players not plays to a certain degree, but when you dont make adjustments to try to limit the opponets scoring you get the blame regardless of the talent you have on the roster.

It just hard from me to blame coaching when these guys came to a bad team with nothing to build from. They really are having to find all the players that are producing right now. I can't think of any other situation where the new coach and GM had not one player to build around.

Quote:It just hard from me to blame coaching when these guys came to a bad team with nothing to build from. They really are having to find all the players that are producing right now. I can't think of any other situation where the new coach and GM had not one player to build around.

I agree....I know we're building for sustainability, but the talent isn't there.  That's on the front office.  Maybe in 2 years we look back and say it was worth it, but it's just painful to watch this team right now.  They don't have talent.  They don't show much promise.  It's demoralizing for a fan base, that over the last 2+ years of home games (17 in total), the Jags have won 2 games and have been blown out 10 times.

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 08:50 AM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:I agree....I know we're building for sustainability, but the talent isn't there. That's on the front office. Maybe in 2 years we look back and say it was worth it, but it's just painful to watch this team right now. They don't have talent. They don't show much promise. It's demoralizing for a fan base, that over the last 2+ years of home games (17 in total), the Jags have won 2 games and have been blown out 10 times.

If feel we have some talent we just have to develop it. Our talent is all rookies and second year players lol. It will shape up over time we just have to allow the time to pass.

Quote:If feel we have some talent we just have to develop it. Our talent is all rookies and second year players lol. It will shape up over time we just have to allow the time to pass.

I hope you're right.

One of these years.............

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 09:00 AM by Etdavis2006.)

Quote:I hope you're right.
Me too lol. I look at this being part of being a fan. You want you team to win but you are gonna go through bad years. I look at the Lakers. Who would have thought they would ever be as bad as they are with no outs in sight for them. They are just gonna have to go through a few years of eneptitude until they put something together. It's a cycle.

Not comparing our franchise to there's but it's the same thing. Our highlight was 07. Time to start over. Hopefully these guy get it right.

Quote:It just hard from me to blame coaching when these guys came to a bad team with nothing to build from. They really are having to find all the players that are producing right now. I can't think of any other situation where the new coach and GM had not one player to build around.

I agree. Gene (and Shaq Harris too) and his regime set this franchise up for failure for years. Look at all the first round picks they screwed up on (i.e. Reggie Williams, Matt Jones). During that era we had the best rushing attack in the league with an old but very effective oline. Chris Naeola, Vince M. Brad Meester were beasts but we never drafted to replace them. That is a large factor in our anemic offense. We have done horrible in FA acquisitions with Poz and Marks being the best pickups in 7(?) years.

With that being said, I think another problem this faces is the fact that we arent a storied franchise that has 3 Lombardi Trophies sitting on the shelf. Or a team that has 6 Pro Bowlers on the roster just needing to be coached to the SB. We have been bad for a long time and this is not where Bill Cowher comes out of retirement to coach. It seems to me like we've been a last resort for the most part when it comes to experienced/notable coaches and FA.

The best thing for us was to pick up a high energy, positive, and motivating coach in Gus. His character is contagious and players love playing for him. He's made mistakes but he's learning too. I think he is well aware of the challenges that plague us and has known since day 1. Yes, he needs more time. What I do see is, while the team is completely rebuilding, we've acquired some young core players. The only thing we can do is sit in the passenger seat and watch it grow.
"Life is tough; it's tougher when you're stupid." -John Wayne

Ive said this before but expect this team to make a sharp random incline upward once the secondary/Oline get fixed. I think it caught caldwell offguard how inexperienced/bad they were. He was obviously expecting much better play out of a few guys.

Once we can have time to throw, run the ball, and stop big plays, Bortles can put us over the top and wins will rack up.

With that said, If season 3 doesn't give us a very clear improvement, Caldwell and Bradley need to come into major question if not fired.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM by AnyGivenSunday.)

Here's food for thought: 

Jacksonville is 6-30 since 2012. I don't even know what to say to that. 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

Quote:Here's food for thought: 

I do.  We suck.

Quote:Here's food for thought:

14 of those losses came before Gus tho. Should he be blamed from what happened before him and Caldwell got here. Add the 5-11 the year before that too to the mix. This team was bad prior to anybody coming here trying to fix it.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM by BasshunterX.)

Quote:14 of those losses came before Gus tho. Should he be blamed from what happened before him and Caldwell got here. Add the 5-11 the year before that too to the mix. This team was bad prior to anybody coming here trying to fix it.

I believe caldwell made the transition way worse (by cutting genes bad contracts/dead money) however in order to ensure he had the cap space in his 2nd/3rd year to make some moves. Logically, A good move longterm but it made the short term much worse which is what we are seeing here.

Translation: Hes mailing in his first two seasons and betting the house on year 3. All his moves are pointing toward this. So much evidence.

Quote:I agree. Gene (and Shaq Harris too) and his regime set this franchise up for failure for years. Look at all the first round picks they screwed up on (i.e. Reggie Williams, Matt Jones). During that era we had the best rushing attack in the league with an old but very effective oline. Chris Naeola, Vince M. Brad Meester were beasts but we never drafted to replace them. That is a large factor in our anemic offense. We have done horrible in FA acquisitions with Poz and Marks being the best pickups in 7(?) years.

With that being said, I think another problem this faces is the fact that we arent a storied franchise that has 3 Lombardi Trophies sitting on the shelf. Or a team that has 6 Pro Bowlers on the roster just needing to be coached to the SB. We have been bad for a long time and this is not where Bill Cowher comes out of retirement to coach. It seems to me like we've been a last resort for the most part when it comes to experienced/notable coaches and FA.

The best thing for us was to pick up a high energy, positive, and motivating coach in Gus. His character is contagious and players love playing for him. He's made mistakes but he's learning too. I think he is well aware of the challenges that plague us and has known since day 1. Yes, he needs more time. What I do see is, while the team is completely rebuilding, we've acquired some young core players. The only thing we can do is sit in the passenger seat and watch it grow.

My fear is that some people don't really get how bad we are. They still believe we were a good team and that hasn't been the case for a while. They are constantly trying to hire and fire every year. But I guess that's how the average fan feels.

Quote:I believe caldwell made the transition way worse (by cutting genes bad contracts/dead money) however in order to ensure he had the cap space in his 2nd/3rd year to make some moves. Logically, A good move longterm but it made the short term much worse which is what we are seeing here.

Translation: Hes mailing in his first two seasons and betting the house on year 3. All his moves are pointing toward this. So much evidence.

Honestly I'll take 4-12 with the young players who can improve and blow outs than 5-11 and 2-14 with vets who aren't getting better.

Long term was always the plan when he came here. I thought that was understood. To me it starts at where do you think the team was before he took over. The team was bad when he got here IMO. I figured this would be a process.