Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
OC Candidates

Quote:I thought I posted that earlier, which is why I did not include him here.

If not, my apologies and good work.

I just hope whomever they hire can develop Bortles properly and put the guys in a position to succeed.

I would hate to have the board conversation two years from now about firing the new OC, needing another QB, etc.

That is why I was hoping for Trestman, aka "The QB Whisperer".

;

;

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 10:43 AM by DewtheMathis.)

Quote:Probably a QB/WR coach on a current playoff team.

Likelyhood of it being Marc Trestman (55%)? based on Gus stating somebody good - head coaching experince - etc

Being interviewed by Bucs -

--------------------------------------

The Bucs are also reportedly interested in Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, 49ers O.C.Greg Roman and Jets O.C. Marty Mornhinweg. If the Bucs keep McCown and he's under contract for one more year, Trestman would be a perfect fit.

-----------------------

Quote:That is why I was hoping for Trestman, aka "The QB Whisperer".
Well...there is still a chance. 

While Tampa has interviewed him, they haven't named him yet.

I'm wondering what is taking so long.

I would think he would be a prime candidate here given his experience and results.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Well...there is still a chance. 

While Tampa has interviewed him, they haven't named him yet.

I'm wondering what is taking so long.

I would think he would be a prime candidate here given his experience and results.
It's possible that he actually IS a prime candidate here, but he's shopping his wares to other teams to create a sort of bidding war for his services.  Can't blame the guy for doing everything he can to gin up his value as he looks for that next gig. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2015, 10:49 AM by Bullseye.)

Quote:It's possible that he actually IS a prime candidate here, but he's shopping his wares to other teams to create a sort of bidding war for his services.  Can't blame the guy for doing everything he can to gin up his value as he looks for that next gig. 
This is  true.

I guess I see him as a good OC, and believe he could help develop Bortles and this offense into one of the best, and I don't want a strong candidate to get away.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:If its anyone that isn't a proven OC I'm out
Well, after a week as a member of the board, I'm sure the masses here would be devastated by the loss, especially since you're a "brand new" poster and all.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

While I would prefer trestman but there are plenty of great candidates across the board. Just give me someone with a QB and/or WR background who likes to vertically pass.

Can't wait to see whats next. 

Quote:This is  true.

I guess I see him as a good OC, and believe he could help develop Bortles and this offense into one of the best, and I don't want a strong candidate to get away.
I agree.  I feel he's the best option currently available to help develop Bortles, and with his reported friendship with Gus, it seemed like a no brainer.  We'll see. 

It could also be the case that Gus is trying not to limit his options by not acting quickly.  As has already been stated earlier in this thread, there may be a coach on a staff currently in the playoffs that he's got his eye on, and that's why they're not racing into anything. 

Unless Trestman is in a hurry to land a gig, I would expect to see him sit on any potential job opportunities for the moment to see how things play out elsewhere.  No doubt, he'll be in demand with so many vacancies around the league.

Has there been any news or updates about the OC search? It's been a full week now and not a single peep from either the Jags or the media. In fact, the Jags haven't even filed any paperwork to speak with anyone. Is Gus looking into a pool of more successful OC's like those in New England, Denver, Seattle, or Green Bay? Are they looking in the college direction?

Do they want a guy who can help develop a young QB like Blake Bortles? In that case, Marc Trestman or even Charlie Weis certainly fits that bill, but again, not a single peep.

I just hope that Caldwell or Bradley don't hire another one of their "buddies" like Mark Roman in SF, or another Seahawks assistant. The last thing that this team needs is to suffer from the effects of Cronyism. We need to hire the best possible guy. Even if that guy doesn't necessarily have a good relationship with either Caldwell or Bradley. We want winners.

Quote:Has there been any news or updates about the OC search? It's been a full week now and not a single peep from either the Jags or the media. In fact, the Jags haven't even filed any paperwork to speak with anyone. Is Gus looking into a pool of more successful OC's like those in New England, Denver, Seattle, or Green Bay? Are they looking in the college direction?

Do they want a guy who can help develop a young QB like Blake Bortles? In that case, Marc Trestman or even Charlie Weis certainly fits that bill, but again, not a single peep.

I just hope that Caldwell or Bradley don't hire another one of their "buddies" like Mark Roman in SF, or another Seahawks assistant. The last thing that this team needs is to suffer from the effects of Cronyism. We need to hire the best possible guy. Even if that guy doesn't necessarily have a good relationship with either Caldwell or Bradley. We want winners.

That's not happening.

Quote:That's not happening.
You can never be too sure about Bradley...

Quote:Has there been any news or updates about the OC search? It's been a full week now and not a single peep from either the Jags or the media. In fact, the Jags haven't even filed any paperwork to speak with anyone. Is Gus looking into a pool of more successful OC's like those in New England, Denver, Seattle, or Green Bay? Are they looking in the college direction?

You do understand that the fraternity of NFL coaches/coordinators is a pretty small group relatively speaking, so in all likelihood, whoever winds up in that position is going to be one of their "buddies", right?

As far as Roman is concerned, I'm not sure if he'd be on their list or not.  The 49er offense was ranked 20th or lower in the league offensively the past 2 years.  While that would be an improvement over what we've had here, I don't think that's where they want to set the bar. 

I think Trestman is certainly on the sort list, but there is probably someone on one of the staffs that played this past weekend that they've got an eye on as well. 

Quote:You can never be too sure about Bradley...
So what if he was targeting someone from the Seattle staff?  They had a top 10 rated offense this year, and for a team that's supposedly a defensive juggernaut, that's pretty impressive.  We could do a lot worse than to cherry pick a coach from the defending Super Bowl champion staff that's in the playoffs again this year. 

I would like Greg Roman myself.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

I guess it wouldn't be all that bad if the Jags hired someone like Darrell Bevell.

Quote:I guess it wouldn't be all that bad if the Jags hired someone like Darrell Bevell.

Right. But He himself is not making a lateral move to a lesser team.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Here's BCC's take on a few names mentioned in this thread.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2015/1/6/74...tt-linehan

Randy Fichtner and Rick Dennison were interesting.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Eh, not sure how I feel about Gus not wanting to shy away from the zone scheme.  I mean if it works, then obviously stick with what works.  But if it doesn't, and an OC feels that a change would be the best way to fix the O-line... then why not change?  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:Eh, not sure how I feel about Gus not wanting to shy away from the zone scheme.  I mean if it works, then obviously stick with what works.  But if it doesn't, and an OC feels that a change would be the best way to fix the O-line... then why not change?  

Because he said they drafted players that fit the ZBS more.  That's their personnel.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Trestman is still my number one. But the more I read on Linehan the more I'm liking him.

I'd be happy with Trestman, Linehan, or Chud. There's others I like but they're my top 3
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS