Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:Chip, Saban, Spurrier

Over/under on his return to college?

USC?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If the Eagles fire Skip, do the Titans jump on him? Who knows what might happen if Skip and MM get back together.

'02

Quote:I think if you give Mariota the same type of talent at WR as Bortles, his numbers will only improve.

You keep saying that, but Bortles had two rookie receivers during his first 8 games. You use being inexperienced as an excuse for your team.

Now you're using these second year players as a reason why Bortles should have performed better during his rookie year.

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2015, 09:00 PM by atburg.)

Quote:I don't even know what to say. I'm happy for you and your family, and hope you continue to have a good relationship with them, but I came to discuss football.
Defending a crush on a football player, does not constitute discussing football! Gotta give credit where credit is due though, your knowledge of MLP is unbelievable!

Quote:If the Eagles fire Skip, do the Titans jump on him? Who knows what might happen if Skip and MM get back together.

God no....
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

I took a look at Blake's stats the past two weeks to show how his completion percentage appears to be improving, so I thought I'd compare MM's stats to get an idea of how both are doing most recently. Here are their totals for weeks 11 and 12...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Blake Bortles (1-1):

<p style="margin-left:40px;">51 of 79 (64.6%) for 571 yards (7.2 YPA, 285.5 yds.gm), 3 TDs (3.8%) and 2 INTs (2.5%) for a qb rating of 88.1.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">8 carries for 42 yards (5.3 ypc) with 1 lost fumble.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

<p style="margin-left:40px;">Marcus Mariota (0-2):

<p style="margin-left:40px;">39 of 72 (54.2%) for 449 yards (6.4 YPA, 224.5 yds.gm), 3 TDs (4.2%) and 2 INTs (2.8%) for a qb rating of 75.5.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">6 carries for 36 yards (6.0 ypc) with 1 TD.

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

TDs and INTs are the same. MM has done better on his feet the past two weeks, but his passing stats are considerably lower.

'02

Quote:If the Eagles fire Skip, do the Titans jump on him? Who knows what might happen if Skip and MM get back together.

Please send Chip to Tennessee!!!
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

After watching today it's no contest right now. Bortles is better. Obviously Mariota is just getting started but for now Bortles is clearly better

Quote:After watching today it's no contest right now. Bortles is better. Obviously Mariota is just getting started but for now Bortles is clearly better

Bortles is more experienced and has better playmakers, but it's close. Mariota has better throwing mechanics and has a higher football iq. Bortles might have a slight edge now insofar as he has significantly more experience, but the ceiling for Mariota is much higher as a complete dual threat qb.

Quote:Bortles is more experienced and has better playmakers, but it's close. Mariota has better throwing mechanics and has a higher football iq. Bortles might have a slight edge now insofar as he has significantly more experience, but the ceiling for Mariota is much higher as a complete dual threat qb.
Nah

Quote:Nah

You're entitled to your opinion, but as a rookie mariota has been the best qb in the red zone all year while bortles has been one of the worst. Not to mention he has a higher completion %, YPA,TD%, and a lower INT% all with an inferior supporting cast. Bortles will be good and has shown he can be the man for the jags, but mariota is just an overall better prospect. The only area I think bortles is clearly better is the deep ball.

Quote:Bortles is more experienced and has better playmakers, but it's close. Mariota has better throwing mechanics and has a higher football iq. Bortles might have a slight edge now insofar as he has significantly more experience, but the ceiling for Mariota is much higher as a complete dual threat qb.

Spoken like a true homer.

If only Bortles got a chance to match up in a game against the Jaguars defense.

Quote:Spoken like a true homer.

If only Bortles got a chance to match up in a game against the Jaguars defense.

Why focus on just one game? Especially one where both qbs were great? I'm looking not just at this game but their base skill sets (mechanics, footwork, Decision making, pocket presence,situational awareness, athleticism) and their to date production (completion %, ypa, TD%, INT%, redzone/3rd down qb rating). Mariota wins out in just about every metric. The only edge I give to bortles has been the deep ball. And even then mariota hasn't had the threats like Robinson or hurns. Give mariota the same amount of experience and similar level playmaker and the sky is the limit.

Quote:You're entitled to your opinion, but as a rookie mariota has been the best qb in the red zone all year while bortles has been one of the worst. Not to mention he has a higher completion %, YPA,TD%, and a lower INT% all with an inferior supporting cast. Bortles will be good and has shown he can be the man for the jags, but mariota is just an overall better prospect. The only area I think bortles is clearly better is the deep ball.
Its not Bortles fault they suck in the red zone. Our play calling and line sucked so bad in that area, and it looked like they actually worked hard to fix it this game. Bortles is a better QB right now and will continue to be with the talent he has around him. Mariota had a free game due to the anemic Jags defense and abused it like every other team has this season. Mariota isn't going to do much against a disciplined defense that plays like they belong in the NFL and can bring consistent pressure. That's why he got abused by the Texans, Panthers, and Dolphins earlier in the year. He reminds me of a poor mans Cam Newton, except he isn't as big, athletic, and doesn't have the arm that Cam has. 

At this point it really doesn't matter who will be the better QB in the end. Mostly because Bortles will be part of an elite offense for many years and will be waaaaay more productive than Mariota because of it. Bortles, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, Marqise Lee, Julius Thomas, Rashad Greene, Bryan Walters, TJ Yeldon, Denard Robinson, Brandon Linder, AJ Cann, Jeremy Parnell, and hopefully Alex Mack this coming off season. Man this could be one of the best offenses next year. Just wait til the Jags get a competent defense that will actually get the pick six, bring consistent pressure, cover a TE, and not let QB's run for 90 yards.

Mariota was throwing against air with a clean pocket all day

Quote:Its not Bortles fault they suck in the red zone. Our play calling and line sucked so bad in that area, and it looked like they actually worked hard to fix it this game. Bortles is a better QB right now and will continue to be with the talent he has around him. Mariota had a free game due to the anemic Jags defense and abused it like every other team has this season. Mariota isn't going to do much against a disciplined defense that plays like they belong in the NFL and can bring consistent pressure. That's why he got abused by the Texans, Panthers, and Dolphins earlier in the year. He reminds me of a poor mans Cam Newton, except he isn't as big, athletic, and doesn't have the arm that Cam has. 

At this point it really doesn't matter who will be the better QB in the end. Mostly because Bortles will be part of an elite offense for many years and will be waaaaay more productive than Mariota because of it. Bortles, Allen Robinson, Allen Hurns, Marqise Lee, Julius Thomas, Rashad Greene, Bryan Walters, TJ Yeldon, Denard Robinson, Brandon Linder, AJ Cann, Jeremy Parnell, and hopefully Alex Mack this coming off season. Man this could be one of the best offenses next year. Just wait til the Jags get a competent defense that will actually get the pick six, bring consistent pressure, cover a TE, and not let QB's run for 90 yards.

Way to ignore all the facts previously cited, but you get an A+ for the mental gymnastics. You must be on the Gus bus. Did you get sprinkles on your ice cream cone?

(This post was last modified: 12-06-2015, 07:39 PM by Sosa.)

Quote:Way to ignore all the facts previously cited, but you get an A+ for the mental gymnastics. You must be on the Gus bus. Did you get sprinkles on your ice cream cone?
Congratulations, Mario is good in the redzone and has a nice completion rating. Too bad he'll be in the cellar for years with that non existent talent he has around him...

I'm just stating facts my friend. He isn't the 2nd coming of Jesus like you're making him out to be. Bortles is and will continue to be a better QB due to the players he is surrounded by for a long, long time. You're overreacting after watching him abuse the worst defense in Jaguars history. Hasselbeck, Crab Legs, Hoyer, EJ Manuel, and Fitzpatrick did the same thing.

Mariota has a much better HC, as sad as that sounds, it's true.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Congratulations, Mario is good in the redzone and has a nice completion rating. Too bad he'll be in the cellar for years with that non existent talent he has around him...

I'm just stating facts my friend. He isn't the 2nd coming of Jesus like you're making him out to be. Bortles is and will continue to be a better QB due to the players he is surrounded by for a long, long time.

It's pretty pointless to even argue about it. Bortles is damn good right now and will succeed even more with decent coaching. Five TDs and no INTs says it all. Mariota had a good game, it wasn't as good as Bortles' game by a longshot, but wins and losses are on the teams, and the titans won the game, good for them. Anyone watching the two Jaguars games against the titans, though, would come away seeing that Bortles is the better QB.

Quote:It's pretty pointless to even argue about it. Bortles is damn good right now and will succeed even more with decent coaching. Five TDs and no INTs says it all. Mariota had a good game, it wasn't as good as Bortles' game by a longshot, but wins and losses are on the teams, and the titans won the game, good for them. Anyone watching the two Jaguars games against the titans, though, would come away seeing that Bortles is the better QB.
Not if you're Marshall Faulk, CBS announcer crew, or ESPN.