Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:Tough, though predicted, break for RG4.
RG4,, LOL!

Seriously though, I thought MM was going to be terrible in the NFL after watching his play in college. I was wrong about that, I admit. But the injury concern is spot on. It's hard to tell if he'll get the chance at a good career or not.

RG4

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Not gonna lie...

RG4 is gold.

Quote:Why, so he can get injured again. I thought talking about his girlish frame was some pretty good smack talk. Seems like it's actually the reality. Poor little guy...

Because for all his flaws I perceived in him, he's having a decent rookie season and I hate seeing players injured

Quote:Because for all his flaws I perceived in him, he's having a decent rookie season and I hate seeing players injured

That's fair enough. He certainly hasn't fallen flat on his face.

But there are some flags that make the RG4 moniker a valid one.

Quote:Not gonna lie...

RG4 is gold.

Agreed. I have frequently made the comparison even before the season started, wish I'd have thought of it first.

[Image: w6wqb.jpg]

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's difficult to knock a guy when he's injured.  I think Mariota put up some impressive numbers. It does seem like as the season went on, defenses started to figure him out (with the Jags' D being the notorious exception).  He's got some work to do, but if If I were a Titans fan, I'd be encouraged.

(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015, 06:06 PM by Coltswarriors.)

My goodness. I thought lastonealive/achilles were terrible posters... Anchorman takes it to another level.

Quote:It's difficult to knock a guy when he's injured.  I think Mariota put up some impressive numbers. It does seem like as the season went on, defenses started to figure him out (with the Jags' D being the notorious exception).  He's got some work to do, but if If I were a Titans fan, I'd be encouraged.

You make a great point about the Jaguars being a notable exception; the Saints are another. Mariota started out red hot in September over the first three weeks, but since then with teams having tape on him, he's really not done that well. The following is MM stat's since September aside from his games against the league-worst Saints defense and the Jaguars make-every-qb-look-great defense...

<p style="margin-left:40px;">M. Mariota: 6 starts (0-6), 99 of 210 (47.1%) for 1,115 yards (5.3 YPA, 185.8 yds/gm), 4 TDs and 7 INTs for a 56.0 qb rating

<p style="margin-left:40px;">18 sacks (144 yards lost), 14 rushes for 81 yards (5.8 ypc) and 0 TDs with 6 fumbles, 3 lost

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

In fairness I need to do the same for Blake. His best games were also against the Titans along with his mind blowing game against the Bucs in October. So the following is Blakes starts since September minus his stat-happy games against the Titans and Bucs....

<p style="margin-left:40px;">B. Bortles: 8 starts (3-5), 186 of 289 (64.4%) for 2,257 yards (7.8 YPA, 282.1 yds/gm), 16 TDs and 9 INTs for a 93.7 qb rating

<p style="margin-left:40px;">22 sacks (146 yards lost), 35 rushes for 216 yards (6.2 ypc) and 2 TDs with 8 fumbles, 3 lost

'02

Quote:You make a great point about the Jaguars being a notable exception; the Saints are another. Mariota started out red hot in September over the first three weeks, but since then with teams having tape on him, he's really not done that well. The following is MM stat's since September aside from his games against the league-worst Saints defense and the Jaguars make-every-qb-look-great defense...

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">M. Mariota: 6 starts (0-6), 99 of 210 (47.1%) for 1,115 yards (5.3 YPA, 185.8 yds/gm), 4 TDs and 7 INTs for a 56.0 qb rating

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">18 sacks (144 yards lost), 14 rushes for 81 yards (5.8 ypc) and 0 TDs with 6 fumbles, 3 lost

In fairness I need to do the same for Blake. His best games were also against the Titans along with his mind blowing game against the Bucs in October. So the following is Blakes starts since September minus his stat-happy games against the Titans and Bucs....

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">B. Bortles: 8 starts (3-5), 186 of 289 (64.4%) for 2,257 yards (7.8 YPA, 282.1 yds/gm), 16 TDs and 9 INTs for a 93.7 qb rating

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">22 sacks (146 yards lost), 35 rushes for 216 yards (6.2 ypc) and 2 TDs with 8 fumbles, 3 lost

Thanks for posting this. Interesting stuff.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:My goodness. I thought lastonealive/achilles were terrible posters... Anchorman takes it to another level.

I do what I do, my fifty burger friend.

How are things in the land of blow outs and script drug abuse?

Btw, THIS is the mm/bb5 thread. Try to stay on topic, my ground beef brutha!

Apparently making Coltswarriors look foolish makes you a terrible poster. Keep up the good work anchorman. Is Reggie Wayne still tearing it up this year? Andrew Luck for MVP?

Quote:Apparently making Coltswarriors look foolish makes you a terrible poster. Keep up the good work anchorman. Is Reggie Wayne still tearing it up this year? Andrew Luck for MVP?

The company he lumped me in with is pretty OK.  I think I'll take it...  I could have sworn I was more on the level of that X-Files Guy. Apparently I've been upgraded without my knowledge.  Which is nice.

Back to the topic. Mariota's recent injury is exactly why I didn't like him. He just doesn't look durable enough.

He's been sacked 38 times and missed games earlier and now done for the year. Blake has been sacked 41 and only missed a couple practices since he took over last year.

His frame just doesn't look durable enough. I kniw he weighs about the same as Jameis but they carry it much differently. I expect his injury issues to continue through his career.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Back to the topic. Mariota's recent injury is exactly why I didn't like him. He just doesn't look durable enough.

He's been sacked 38 times and missed games earlier and now done for the year. Blake has been sacked 41 and only missed a couple practices since he took over last year.

His frame just doesn't look durable enough. I kniw he weighs about the same as Jameis but they carry it much differently. I expect his injury issues to continue through his career.

They'll try to add some weight to him this offseason. He can make enough throws.

I don't have any bad wishes for other players, I know how much it sucks not having a franchise qb, and I'm ecstatic to have bortles. It's been a long road and I'd take him over just about anyone if I'm starting a brand new team today.

I'm fine with mariota seeing the field as much as locker though. But if he plays and he is good, just gonna make the division that much more fun to watch.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:They'll try to add some weight to him this offseason. He can make enough throws.

I don't have any bad wishes for other players, I know how much it sucks not having a franchise qb, and I'm ecstatic to have bortles. It's been a long road and I'd take him over just about anyone if I'm starting a brand new team today.

I'm fine with mariota seeing the field as much as locker though. But if he plays and he is good, just gonna make the division that much more fun to watch.

They'll try all kinds of things, probably put all of their cards into trying to beef up their offensive line during free agency and the draft, for example. The problem, though, seems to be that he's predisposed to knee injuries, because that wasn't a hard hit or one that bent his knee in a way I don't see a lot of players get their knees bent in, and he was injured from it. Adding weight to him won't make his knee joints stronger and might actually have a negative affect on how well he's able to keep his knees and legs healthy.

I just call them like I see them. Having Sunday ticket allowed me to watch alot of Marcus My-knee-owie-ta quite a bit.

He has a game like Garrard in the sense that he can scramble. Obviously, his scrambles are more finesse where DG's were more power. But one thing about mm's runs is that he seems to get caught from behind alot when he's playing teams not from Jacksonville.

Also, like DG, he's all about that first read, and he's good right in the middle in quick slants...

If he can continue to develop his game, he may be dangerous. But I'd this is his ceiling, he's got problems.

I'm just not that impressed with him based on watching his games. And let's not forget that besides the jaguars game, the dude had fallen back down to earth even prior to his injury.

It's clear who the better qb is right now. And to be honest, it's clear which qb has the better potential.

Quote:I just call them like I see them. Having Sunday ticket allowed me to watch alot of Marcus My-knee-owie-ta quite a bit.

He has a game like Garrard in the sense that he can scramble. Obviously, his scrambles are more finesse where DG's were more power. But one thing about mm's runs is that he seems to get caught from behind alot when he's playing teams not from Jacksonville.

Also, like DG, he's all about that first read, and he's good right in the middle in quick slants...

If he can continue to develop his game, he may be dangerous. But I'd this is his ceiling, he's got problems.

I'm just not that impressed with him based on watching his games. And let's not forget that besides the jaguars game, the dude had fallen back down to earth even prior to his injury.

It's clear who the better qb is right now. And to be honest, it's clear which qb has the better potential.

[Image: w8hvl.jpg]

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:I just call them like I see them. Having Sunday ticket allowed me to watch alot of Marcus My-knee-owie-ta quite a bit.

Bortles absolutely has more potential. I don't even see that as arguable.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Marriota is a good QB. What I see in the highlights is that he is very accurate in mid range throws. Extreme quick release. These are qualities for a very good QB. 

Mariota never throws deep balls and its hard to guess if it is play calling or he has the weakness throwing deep.  The deep balls (> 20 yards) are all max of 30 yards and to the middle of the field. Typically strong armed QBs will make deep throws outside (Rodgers, Flacco, Ben, even Bortles). I am not sure if it is arm strength/deep ball accuracy issue or just play calling. I tend to think play calling, otherwise MM would have been ripped by the scouts. 

Unless Tennessee invests in OL, they will see Mariotta injured. He seems to have a build of a good QB. But if you keep missing games in your career, it would be a concern. He can't build continuity with the offense. Remember Tennessee didn't build the OL for Jake Locker and he got injured all the time. Either case, in my view Mariotta will be better used if they play Patriots kinda offense. Rely on accurate short throws and YAC and occasionally throw deep to keep the defense honest. 

As far as Bortles, the only issue I see is decision making and accuracy in short/medium throws.  Both can be overcome with good coaching and offseason.  Accuracy can be improved with proper footwork and over the time some players improve accuracy (Luck for instance) and by drafting players who get good separation for short throws so you don't have to be extremely accurate (Brady accuracy) can still have a very good career. 

It all depends how these players develop themselves. Both seem to be a poised to make a stardom and it would exciting to see how their career goes.  Bortles especially seems not satisfied with his performance and will push himself to improve and it would make him a very good QB in the years to come.  Mariota I am not sure if he has all the intangibles etc. Bortles independently spent time with House last  year to improve his shortfall.