Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:Bortles TDs and big plays are "inflated" hahaha. But completion percentage can never be an inflated stat right?

We need to see Bortles quit taking risks and model his game more like Alex Smith. Everybody knows the QB with the highest completion percentage wins. Efficient 5 yard checkdowns are the key to football.

It's a bad point anyway, in the last 8 starts Bortles has had two games with a completion percentage under 60% balanced by two games with a completion percentage over 70% and a 24/8 TD/INT ratio.

Of course the tack and colts fans don't even watch him play anyway, so they wouldn't know how he's actually playing and that's why they hang on to empty stats. Someone that didn't watch the last game would think Bortles made a couple of bad throws to get two INTs, but someone that watched the game knows that one was on a blatant interference penalty that wasn't called and the other was a great play by the DB more than a bad throw by Bortles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Also if Bortles stats are inflated there must be loads of qbs on poor teams with 30+ Td's? Oh wait there isn't. Gabbert and Henne had so much garbage time and couldn't get close

Quote:Also if Bortles stats are inflated there must be loads of qbs on poor teams with 30+ Td's? Oh wait there isn't. Gabbert and Henne had so much garbage time and couldn't get close

Bortles is gonna finish with close to 40tds in his second season. If that's mediocre, I'll take mediocre every day for the next ten years and these "fans" of division rivals who come here to speak drivel about our stud qb can keep on keepin on because the division is going to belong to the jaguars soon and good but not great bortles is going to be the bane of their existence.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Bortles is going into 2016 as the best qb in the AFC South. Mariota will have to improve a lot to catch up with Blake.

Quote:Mariota's ceiling is about knee high.

The good knee or the bad knee?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:The good knee or the bad knee?

Probably the one on the ground.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Probably the one on the ground.

You're obviously not paying attention to the advanced statistics. You have to see that knee injuries during odd years of skinny qbs who have played usc in college at least once means playoffs the following year.

Non PhD simpletons just will never understand.

Quote:Mariota's ceiling is about knee high.
Left Knee or Right Knee or Both 

Quote:It was great! Hope yours was swell as well!

For the record I have NEVER said anything about Luck and the Hall of Fame. Also, you conveniently left off QBR and interceptions in your comparison... In which both aren't even close when comparing Luck & Bortles' 2nd years.

Also, I've stated many times that I believe Bortles is a good QB, he's not great, but he's good. He still needs some Ws. He rarely wins. Especially against teams with decent/great QBs.

Why should a stat that includes a personal bias in its formula count for anything?
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:Why should a stat that includes a personal bias in its formula count for anything?

Yea, QBR is pretty bad. My favorite part is that they won't say how it is calculated.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Bringing a whole load of subjectivity into a stat is ridiculous. May just as well compare Madden ratings. I like the adjusted clutch part, like it was invented to pretend Tebow has played well.

Quote:Left Knee or Right Knee or Both 

Which ever one is not in the brace next week.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:That's a fair assessment, he's good but not great.I still think his ceiling is lower than those of Luck or Mariota. He is still one of the most inaccurate QBs in the league, turnover prone, inconsistent, and makes poor decisions/lacks awareness. His inflated TD numbers aren't very impressive, especially considering after next week there should be about a dozen QBs who have thrown for 30+ TDs. It's one thing to put up nice stats when you're winning games and making the playoffs, but its another thing to be padding numbers while you're playing the easiest schedule in the league.

It's a joke that you still think Mariota's ceiling is as high as Luck's or Bortles'. You talk about Blake padding his stats, and yet he consistently puts up strong numbers against any defense. Most of Mariota's hype is over his first start when Jameis was having a bad day and the Bucs had no tape on Mariota. Take away that game and his games against the Jaguars and Saints, two defenses that make any qb look good, and MM's numbers are total garbage. Mariota is injury prone and his deep accuracy as atrocious. You may try to downplay Blake's gaudy stats as something less than impressive, but at least he gives us hope. Mariota appears to be an utter disaster.

'02

Quote:Also if Bortles stats are inflated there must be loads of qbs on poor teams with 30+ Td's? Oh wait there isn't. Gabbert and Henne had so much garbage time and couldn't get close

Baconator says over a dozen qbs will have 30+ TDs after this week. Let's review the actual numbers so far...

1. Tom Brady 36

2. Blake Bortles 35

3. Carson Palmer 34

4. Cam Newton 33

4. Eli Manning 33

6. Drew Brees 31

6. Russell Wilson 31

6. Derek Carr 31

9. Aaron Rodgers 30

10. Ryan Fitzpatrick 29

10. Matthew Stafford 29

12. Phillip Rivers 27

13. Kirk Cousin 26

14. Andy Dalton 25

All other qbs have 22 or less leaving them no chance to reach 30.

Maybe a dozen reach 30, and maybe Blake reaches 40. I find being in 2nd place here in his 2nd season a very impressive stat especially when you consider our defense has allowed a considerable TOP advantage for most of our opponents, and knowing Blake would have so much more if only his timing was down with receivers on his red zone fade passes.

'02

Quote:It's a joke that you still think Mariota's ceiling is as high as Luck's or Bortles'. You talk about Blake padding his stats, and yet he consistently puts up strong numbers against any defense. Most of Mariota's hype is over his first start when Jameis was having a bad day and the Bucs had no tape on Mariota. Take away that game and his games against the Jaguars and Saints, two defenses that make any qb look good, and MM's numbers are total garbage. Mariota is injury prone and his deep accuracy as atrocious. You may try to downplay Blake's gaudy stats as something less than impressive, but at least he gives us hope. Mariota appears to be an utter disaster.

I agree, it's clearly trolling coming from anyone not a tacks fan, but it's likely to be completely sincere coming from tack fans since that's just the nature of being a fan. It's also true that outside of the three games you mentioned he has more INTs than TDs. Still I don't think he'll be a disaster as a player, just not what the titans fans think they're getting right now. Disaster would be RG3's career after his first year, but I could see mariota having a Chad Pennington or Ryan Fitzpatrick level career. Pretty decent from the perspective of how bad a QB can be, but really very disappointing for a #2 overall pick. I just don't see the ability to make all of the throws that an elite level QB needs. Against the Jaguars he could throw at his sweet spot all day without problem, and even get away with just floating one up down the field and having the ball bounce to his guy, but the Jaguars defense since Marks went out again is the worst defense I've ever seen. Can't rush. Can't cover. At all.

The more worrisome thing about mariota than his popgun arm would be his tendency for lower body injuries. The "hit" that took him out a couple of weeks ago wasn't much of a hit at all, and if that's all it will take to get him hurt he won't have a very long or productive career sitting on the bench for half of every season.

It's a real shame Bortles was a victim of such bad officiating against the saints, he probably should have had more than 400 yards in that game and at least one less INT.

Quote: but I could see mariota having a Chad Pennington or Ryan Fitzpatrick level career. Pretty decent from the perspective of how bad a QB can be, but really very disappointing for a #2 overall pick.

Maybe Alex Smith?

Like I said, I haven't seen much of Mariota, but it does seem that he lives within the numbers. That will need to change next year. Def Coordinators will be all over that next year.

Pennington is am interesting case because he was a weak armed QB, but he also played in an era where running the ball was primary. He had Curtis Martin in NY and Ricky Williams in Miami. As much as I loved Pennington I am not sure he starts in modern NFL.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Maybe Alex Smith?

Like I said, I haven't seen much of Mariota, but it does seem that he lives within the numbers. That will need to change next year. Def Coordinators will be all over that next year.

Pennington is am interesting case because he was a weak armed QB, but he also played in an era where running the ball was primary. He had Curtis Martin in NY and Ricky Williams in Miami. As much as I loved Pennington I am not sure he starts in modern NFL.

Alex Smith is a good comparison in some ways, but I think he's much more durable and actually has a better arm than you'd guess. They're similar in that they both seem really scared to take chances going down the field and live on short passes. Either way Alex Smith is ten years in the league with his first four or five being considered extremely bad and has only had success when surrounded by immense levels of talent.

Quote:Bringing a whole load of subjectivity into a stat is ridiculous. May just as well compare Madden ratings. I like the adjusted clutch part, like it was invented to pretend Tebow has played well.

Completely right, it's on a similar level to the "grades" pff gives to players that allow for three TD no INT games to be graded as one of the worst QB performances of the season and games where a QB completes less than 10 passes to be graded as one of the best. Both of them aren't stats, and are best described as opinions denoted in numeric format, as they don't actually measure anything and instead denote perception of the "grader" of an aggregate of plays. They're both affected by something called confirmation bias, where the person doing the evaluation sees in the evaluated material the things that confirm what they already think. In the case of Tebow it was confirming their desire to say he was a great QB, and in the case of Bortles it's to confirm that they were right when they said he was the worst QB in the league since Gabbert.

I don't understand the accusations of garbage time. With the exception of the Patriots and Colts games, the contests have pretty much come down to the wire. How can those TDs be considered be considered garbage?

And when OUR team is on the winning side of a blowout (like the Colts game), I don't consider those TDs garbage either. The Colts were still doing everything they could to stop Bortles.

You gotta find some way to tear down a division rivals ascending QB. Has all of Brady's production came from garbage time?