Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote: In other words, no. That's alright, I understand you were just being hyperbolic to try and discredit Mariota.

Whatever it takes to let you sleep at night.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016, 07:41 PM by JagFanFirst.)

Quote:Can you justify this position? How about some evidence for your claims, because there is tremendous evidence otherwise.

Absolutely, and I think both teams have their QB for the future. I just happen to think that Mariota is better and while have a better career trajectory for the various reasons I've stated, coupled with the breadth of evidence and outside analysis I've provided. It doesn't mean that Bortles is doomed or that he's an awful QB. I don't get why so many people here are so sensitive to that fact and cannot actually address arguments in a rational way.
Whoa. Bortles trajectory is lower than Marotta's? Seriously? Bortles went from having one of the worst rookie seasons to having one of the best seasons EVER for a second year QB. I don't discredit Mariotta, but he's got to learn to throw a deep ball.

Quote:Whoa. Bortles trajectory is lower than Marotta's? Seriously? Bortles went from having one of the worst rookie seasons to having one of the best seasons EVER for a second year QB. I don't discredit Mariotta, but he's got to learn to throw a deep ball.

Wait... trajectory?

Bortles throws arcs that drop into WRs hands while Mariota throws the ball like he's playing a game of darts.

'02

Quote:Wait... trajectory?

Bortles throws arcs that drop into WRs hands while Mariota throws the ball like he's playing a game of darts.

The idea of even talking trajectory of a guy that played one season and got worse as the season progressed is ridiculous. Not to mention the arc on Bortles career so far isn't encouraging if you're a fan of any other team than the Jaguars. It's unsurprising that tack fans would be trying to downplay a guy that was second in the league in passing TDs. Now they're not just chasing Luck at QB, they're also staring squarely at Bortles rear end as he's way out in front of their guy.

Quote:Whoa. Bortles trajectory is lower than Marotta's? Seriously? Bortles went from having one of the worst rookie seasons to having one of the best seasons EVER for a second year QB. I don't discredit Mariotta, but he's got to learn to throw a deep ball.

Throwing a deep ball is far less important than being an accurate passer and good-decision maker. 

Quote:The idea of even talking trajectory of a guy that played one season and got worse as the season progressed is ridiculous. Not to mention the arc on Bortles career so far isn't encouraging if you're a fan of any other team than the Jaguars. It's unsurprising that tack fans would be trying to downplay a guy that was second in the league in passing TDs. Now they're not just chasing Luck at QB, they're also staring squarely at Bortles rear end as he's way out in front of their guy.

You don't think he had a great rookie year, despite the adversity he had to overcome? Obviously both QBs have a lot of developing to do and a lot to prove, but you're literally comparing Mariota's rookie year (during the course of which he broke many records) to Alex Smith's. You guys champion the fact that Bortles lead the league in TD passes, but he also lead the league in interceptions and was the most inaccurate QB in the NFL. Look at what a year developing which professional coaches did for Bortles from his rookie year (which wasn't even comparable Mariota's), why don't you think Mariota will continue to improve?

It's really funny (yet equally sad) when those who've lost the argument like Baconator keep at it as if it isn't already over.  Long over.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Yes, but it's easier to learn how to throw short passes than deep ones. If short passes are the only trick in your bag, defenses will figure you out.

As for Bortles, If you look at some of the most recent prolific QBs like Peyton Manning, Luck, and Farve, they threw a lot of INTs.

i dont understand this boards fascination with arm strength and deep balls as if thats the only way to win lol

You guys seem like the type to draft ryan mallett

If Mallet had thrown for 35 TDs and 4400 yards, he'd be Houston's starting QB right now.

Quote:Throwing a deep ball is far less important than being an accurate passer and good-decision maker. 

You don't think he had a great rookie year, despite the adversity he had to overcome? Obviously both QBs have a lot of developing to do and a lot to prove, but you're literally comparing Mariota's rookie year (during the course of which he broke many records) to Alex Smith's. You guys champion the fact that Bortles lead the league in TD passes, but he also lead the league in interceptions and was the most inaccurate QB in the NFL. Look at what a year developing which professional coaches did for Bortles from his rookie year (which wasn't even comparable Mariota's), why don't you think Mariota will continue to improve?

Statistically his rookie season wasn't too bad as rookie seasons go, however, actually looking at him play he looks closer to Blaine Gabbert than Andrew Luck. In Bortles rookie season, even in his rookie preseason it was plain to see he was a guy that was going to grow and had all of the right facets to be a true elite passer in the NFL. Mariota could turn it all around and suddenly become Aaron Rodgers, but it would take quite the transformation to make it happen, and I just don't see it.

When I see Mariota I see Alex Smith, Chad Pennington, and David Garrard. When I see Bortles I see Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, and Andrew Luck.

You're too close and wrapped up in the titans to see him clearly right now, but I'd bet when the team gets sold if the new owner decides to move to St Louis or some other city that you'll suddenly start seeing Mariota a lot more clearly.

Quote:Statistically his rookie season wasn't too bad as rookie seasons go, however, actually looking at him play he looks closer to Blaine Gabbert than Andrew Luck. In Bortles rookie season, even in his rookie preseason it was plain to see he was a guy that was going to grow and had all of the right facets to be a true elite passer in the NFL. Mariota could turn it all around and suddenly become Aaron Rodgers, but it would take quite the transformation to make it happen, and I just don't see it.

When I see Mariota I see Alex Smith, Chad Pennington, and David Garrard. When I see Bortles I see Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, and Andrew Luck.

You're too close and wrapped up in the titans to see him clearly right now, but I'd bet when the team gets sold if the new owner decides to move to St Louis or some other city that you'll suddenly start seeing Mariota a lot more clearly.

You're entitled to an opinion, but that doesn't make it right. You can't even make your case because the film and the stats are so heavily contrary to your opinion.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016, 09:37 PM by Baconator.)

Quote:Yes, but it's easier to learn how to throw short passes than deep ones. If short passes are the only trick in your bag, defenses will figure you out.

As for Bortles, If you look at some of the most recent prolific QBs like Peyton Manning, Luck, and Farve, they threw a lot of INTs.

His YPA was higher than Bortles just so you're clear. You don't have to complete deep passes to effectively attack a defense on different levels. I should also add that Mariota was more proficient throwing the deep ball than Bortles was during his rookie year. It's a skill that young players take time to develop. It's also a lot easier to adjust to throwing deep passes than it is to read a defense and make good decisions.

Quote:Statistically his rookie season wasn't too bad as rookie seasons go, however, actually looking at him play he looks closer to Blaine Gabbert than Andrew Luck. In Bortles rookie season, even in his rookie preseason it was plain to see he was a guy that was going to grow and had all of the right facets to be a true elite passer in the NFL. Mariota could turn it all around and suddenly become Aaron Rodgers, but it would take quite the transformation to make it happen, and I just don't see it.

marcus has a better arm than all the guys youre comparing him to this flaccid arm narrative is pretty weird and innacurate

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2016, 10:16 PM by GlockBortles.)

Go to @QBKlass and take a look at some of the gifs (its a lot so im not linking them)

Great throws everywhere to multiple levels of the field, aggressiveness, accuracy. I get were jags fans but i dont understand the bias. Its really possible to have accurate thoughts on mariotas game and respect him for the good qb he is and still love our man blake. Its not that serious really, yall gonna get grey hairs with all this hate in ur hearts Smile

Love the progress Blake has made. Interested to see what Marcus can make of himself.

I will trust my gut here, because I wouldn't trade Blake for the Titan's entire draft and Mariota.

Best of luck Bacon.

Quote:Go to @QBKlass and take a look at some of the gifs (its a lot so im not linking them)

Great throws everywhere to multiple levels of the field, aggressiveness, accuracy. I get were jags fans but i dont understand the bias. Its really possible to have accurate thoughts on mariotas game and respect him for the good qb he is and still love our man blake. Its not that serious really, yall gonna get grey hairs with all this hate in ur hearts Smile

Great stuff there, thanks for staying neutral.

Quote:Great stuff there, thanks for staying neutral.
#positivity

Quote:#positivity

Lol...man this is a bad post.

Bortles led the league in TDs and INTS. One of those stats garuntees points. The other does not.

Which is more important, tack fan? I'll wait here.

Quote:marcus has a better arm than all the guys youre comparing him to this flaccid arm narrative is pretty weird and innacurate

It's interesting that you suddenly started talking about arm strength, as it wasn't even something I mentioned in the post. I wouldn't accuse David Garrard of having a weak arm. Feeling a little defensive about mariota's arm strength?

Glock, it's clear that you're not a Jaguars fan, so who are you a fan of? colts fan come to try to rile people up on all sides? titans fan trolling?