Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:So how's this whole "Blake is top dog in the division" stuff going? Been on the sauce?
Brockweiler and Mariota still ain't worth talking about.

So he's at least 2 by default. lol

Unless he keeps regressing.. which I don't think he will.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

They all stink.

Here we go after three weeks. The big suprise is Mariota. Going against a Del Rio defense on pace for setting a new league record for most yards allowed in a season, Mariota choked bigtime with by far the worst single game for an AFC S qb this season...

Week three results...

1. Andrew Luck - 24 of 37
    (64.9%)
    for 331 yards
    (8.9 YPA)
    , 1 TD and 1 INT for a 91.2 qb rating with 1 fumble
    (1 lost)

2. Blake Bortles - 24 of 38 (63.2%) for 194 yards (5.1 YPA), 2 TDs and 3 INTs for a 60.6 qb rating

3. Brock Osweiler -  24 of 41 (58.5%)
    for 196 yards (4.8 YPA), 0 TD and 1 INT for a 60.6 qb rating
  4. Marcus Mariota - 17 of 33 (51.5%) for 214 yards (6.5 YPA)
    , 0 TD and 2 INTs for a 46.8 qb rating with 2 fumbles (1 lost)

Overall results...

1. Andrew Luck - 76 of 124 (61.3%) for 913 yards (7.4 YPA), 6 TDs and 2 INT for a 93.2 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost)

2. Marcus Mariota - 67 of 107 (62.6%) for 723 yards (6.8 YPA)
    , 4 TDs and 4 INT for a 79.3 qb rating with 3 fumbles (2 lost)
  3. Blake Bortles - 79 of 127 (62.2%) for 843 yards (6.6 YPA), 5 TDs and 6 INTs for a 75.0 qb rating with 1 fumble (1 lost)

4. Brock Osweiler - 65 of 109
    <span style="color:#008080;">(59.6%)
    </span> for 695 yards
    (6.4 YPA)
    , 3 TDs and 4 INTs for a 72.2 rating

'02

It seems like Marcus Mariota plays better on the road than in Nashville. 

Quote:They all stink.

Yeah none of them have play too great so far this year. Lots of dumb turnovers by all of em.

No Fun

Quote:It seems like Marcus Mariota plays better on the road than in Nashville. 
Marcus looked like garbage against Oakland.  He needs to learn to protect the ball.  We get Walker and Wright back this week, so hopefully he bounces back.  When Amaro (who???) is your leading receiver, you know the receiving corps is [BLEEP].  

We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

Quote:Marcus looked like garbage against Oakland.  He needs to learn to protect the ball.  We get Walker and Wright back this week, so hopefully he bounces back.  When Amaro (who???) is your leading receiver, you know the receiving corps is [BAD WORD REMOVED].  
Jace Amaro isn't some schmuck....

He's a former 2nd round draft pick who was injured all of 2015. I was surprised the jests moved on so quickly.

I thought the tacks got a heckuva claim there.

But yeah... when your leading receiver is a backup tight end, I guess that's an issue.

Quote: 

Here we go after three weeks. The big suprise is Mariota. Going against a Del Rio defense on pace for setting a new league record for most yards allowed in a season, Mariota choked bigtime with by far the worst single game for an AFC S qb this season...

Week three results...

1. Andrew Luck - 24 of 37
    (64.9%)
    for 331 yards
    (8.9 YPA)
    , 1 TD and 1 INT for a 91.2 qb rating with 1 fumble
    (1 lost)

2. Blake Bortles - 24 of 38 (63.2%) for 194 yards (5.1 YPA), 2 TDs and 3 INTs for a 60.6 qb rating

3. Brock Osweiler -  24 of 41 (58.5%) for 196 yards (4.8 YPA), 0 TD and 1 INT for a 60.6 qb rating

4. Marcus Mariota - 17 of 33 (51.5%) for 214 yards (6.5 YPA), 0 TD and 2 INTs for a 46.8 qb rating with 2 fumbles (1 lost)

Overall results...

1. Andrew Luck - 76 of 124 (61.3%) for 913 yards (7.4 YPA), 6 TDs and 2 INT for a 93.2 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost)

2. Marcus Mariota - 67 of 107 (62.6%) for 723 yards (6.8 YPA), 4 TDs and 4 INT for a 79.3 qb rating with 3 fumbles (2 lost)

3. Blake Bortles - 79 of 127 (62.2%) for 843 yards (6.6 YPA), 5 TDs and 6 INTs for a 75.0 qb rating with 1 fumble (1 lost)

4. Brock Osweiler - 65 of 109
    (59.6%)
    for 695 yards
    (6.4 YPA)
    , 3 TDs and 4 INTs for a 72.2 rating

This division is so bad, why couldnt we just get a few things going are way, we will be 2-1, even at 0-3 we can still come back and win it

<B><FONT color=cyan>Jags this is your year</FONT></B>

The week four results are in. Mariota is starting to look like garbage...

Week four results...

1. Blake Bortles - 19 of 33 (57.6%) for 207 yards (6.3 YPA), 2 TDs and 0 INTs for a 96.4 qb rating with 1 rush TD

2. <strong>Andrew Luck - 27 of 42
    </strong>(64.3%)
    <strong> for 234 yards
    </strong>(5.6 YPA)
    <strong>, 2 TD and 1 INT for a 84.8 qb rating
    </strong>
  3. Brock Osweiler -  25 of 37 (58.5%) for 254 yards (6.9 YPA), 2 TD and 2 INTs for a 82.5 qb rating

4. Marcus Mariota - 13 of 29 (44.8%) for 202 yards (7.0 YPA), 0 TD and 1 INT for a 54.1 qb rating

Overall results...

1. Andrew Luck - 103 of 166 (62.0%) for 1,147 yards (6.9 YPA), 8 TDs and 3 INTs for a 91.1 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost)

2. Blake Bortles - 98 of 160 (61.3%) for 1,050 yards (6.6 YPA), 7 TDs and 6 INTs for a 88.2 qb rating with 1 fumble (1 lost), 1 rush TD

3. Brock Osweiler - 90 of 146
    (61.6%)
    for 949 yards
    (6.5 YPA)
    , 5 TDs and 6 INTs for a 74.8 rating

4. <strong>Marcus Mariota - 80 of 136
    </strong>(58.8%)
    <strong> for 925 yards
    </strong>(6.8 YPA)
    <strong>, 4 TDs and 5 INTs for a 73.9 qb rating with 3 fumbles
    </strong> (2 lost)

I was wondering how long it would take for Mariota to reach last place in the division.

'02

That's good work 02.

There are the AFCS QB stats for all to see.

Well, one of them is going to win this division, and right now BO is in the lead.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:The week four results are in. Mariota is starting to look like garbage...

Week four results...

<ul class="bbcol decimal">[*]Blake Bortles - 19 of 33 (57.6%) for 207 yards (6.3 YPA), 2 TDs and 0 INTs for a 96.4 qb rating with 1 rush TD
[*]<strong>Andrew Luck - 27 of 42
(64.3%)
for 234 yards
(5.6 YPA)
, 2 TD and 1 INT for a 84.8 qb rating
</strong>[*]Brock Osweiler -  25 of 37 (58.5%) for 254 yards (6.9 YPA), 2 TD and 2 INTs for a 82.5 qb rating
[*]Marcus Mariota - 13 of 33 (44.8%) for 202 yards (7.0 YPA), 0 TD and 1 INT for a 54.1 qb rating
</ul> 
Overall results...

<ul class="bbcol decimal">[*]Andrew Luck - 103 of 166 (62.0%) for 1,147 yards (6.9 YPA), 8 TDs and 3 INTs for a 91.1 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost)
[*]Blake Bortles - 98 of 160 (61.3%) for 1,050 yards (6.6 YPA), 7 TDs and 6 INTs for a 88.2 qb rating with 1 fumble (1 lost), 1 rush TD
[*]Brock Osweiler - 90 of 146
(61.6%)
for 949 yards
(6.5 YPA)
[*]<strong>Marcus Mariota - 80 of 136
</strong>(58.8%)
<strong> for 925 yards
</strong>(6.8 YPA)
</strong> (2 lost)
</ul>I was wondering how long it would take for Mariota to reach last place in the division.

It's not like it was hard to see coming.

In his favor he'll never have to face the JJ Watt that was likely to end his season after all now that JJ is heading down the Ebben Britton path.

Bortles had been bad, but at least he's still a guy that clearly has some abilities. I don't see it with Marcus. And to think, they could have taken Wentz.

Week four results...

1. Blake Bortles - 19 of 33 (57.6%) for 207 yards (6.3 YPA), 2 TDs and 0 INTs for a 96.4 qb rating with 1 rush TD

2. <strong>Andrew Luck - 27 of 42
    (64.3%)
    for 234 yards
    (5.6 YPA)
    </strong>
  3. Brock Osweiler -  25 of 37 (58.5%) for 254 yards (6.9 YPA), 2 TD and 2 INTs for a 82.5 qb rating

4. Marcus Mariota - 13 of 33 (44.8%) for 202 yards (7.0 YPA), 0 TD and 1 INT for a 54.1 qb rating

Overall results...

1. Andrew Luck - 103 of 166 (62.0%) for 1,147 yards (6.9 YPA), 8 TDs and 3 INTs for a 91.1 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost)

2. Blake Bortles - 98 of 160 (61.3%) for 1,050 yards (6.6 YPA), 7 TDs and 6 INTs for a 88.2 qb rating with 1 fumble (1 lost), 1 rush TD

3. Brock Osweiler - 90 of 146
    (61.6%)
    for 949 yards
    (6.5 YPA)

4. <strong>Marcus Mariota - 80 of 136
    </strong>(58.8%)
    <strong> for 925 yards
    </strong>(6.8 YPA)
    </strong> (2 lost)

I was wondering how long it would take for Mariota to reach last place in the division.
I echo the other poster.

Good work 02.

Of course I expect nothing less from you.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Bortles had been bad, but at least he's still a guy that clearly has some abilities. I don't see it with Marcus. And to think, they could have taken Wentz.
Right now Bortles needs three things.

1. Adequate protection

2.  An adequate running game.  The Indy game was a good step forward.

3.  patience to work underneath (I think that is coming).

Right now, Luck needs three things.

1.  Adequate protection

2.  An adequate running game

3.  A defense that can stop the other guys on occasion.

Right now, Mariota needs

1.  Receivers that can gain separation

2.  Better play calling

3.  Better accuracy

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Week four results...

<ul class="bbcol decimal">[*]Blake Bortles - 19 of 33 (57.6%) for 207 yards (6.3 YPA), 2 TDs and 0 INTs for a 96.4 qb rating with 1 rush TD
[*]<strong>Andrew Luck - 27 of 42
(64.3%)
for 234 yards
(5.6 YPA)
</strong>[*]Brock Osweiler - 25 of 37 (58.5%) for 254 yards (6.9 YPA), 2 TD and 2 INTs for a 82.5 qb rating
[*]Marcus Mariota - 13 of 33 (44.8%) for 202 yards (7.0 YPA), 0 TD and 1 INT for a 54.1 qb rating
</ul>
Overall results...
<ul class="bbcol decimal">[*]Andrew Luck - 103 of 166 (62.0%) for 1,147 yards (6.9 YPA), 8 TDs and 3 INTs for a 91.1 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost)
[*]Blake Bortles - 98 of 160 (61.3%) for 1,050 yards (6.6 YPA), 7 TDs and 6 INTs for a 88.2 qb rating with 1 fumble (1 lost), 1 rush TD
[*]Brock Osweiler - 90 of 146
(61.6%)
for 949 yards
(6.5 YPA)
[*]<strong>Marcus Mariota - 80 of 136
</strong>(58.8%)
<strong> for 925 yards
</strong>(6.8 YPA)
</strong> (2 lost)
</ul>I was wondering how long it would take for Mariota to reach last place in the division.

Am I missing something? Bortles and MM both threw 33 times. Bortles had more yards, but his ypa is lower? Am I calculating this stat wrong or is it a mistake?

Oh, and again, thanks for posting this weekly. I really enjoy reading it.
“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

(This post was last modified: 10-04-2016, 10:39 AM by superfan32.)

It's Yards Per Attempt...not Yards Per Completion, thus the lower YPA for Blake.

Edit:  Yeah that doesn't make sense.  Mariota would actually be 6.1 YPA.

Have you seen my baseball?

Quote:Am I missing something? Bortles and MM both threw 33 times. Bortles had more yards, but his ypa is lower? Am I calculating this stat wrong or is it a mistake?

Oh, and again, thanks for posting this weekly. I really enjoy reading it.

Good catch. I had to look to see what I did wrong.

Mariota only had 29 attempts.

I'll edit the post.

'02

Quote:Right now Bortles needs three things.

1. Adequate protection

2. An adequate running game. The Indy game was a good step forward.

3. patience to work underneath (I think that is coming).

Right now, Luck needs three things.

1. Adequate protection

2. An adequate running game

3. A defense that can stop the other guys on occasion.

Right now, Mariota needs

1. Receivers that can gain separation

2. Better play calling

3. Better accuracy

I'd add that Bortles needs better accuracy, Luck needs better decision making, and Mariota needs to pray he never is forced to throw a deep out in a critical situation.

Bortles can use a tighter spiral, better accuracy, and a stronger short area game. While it's great that he has stellar downfield vision and the ability to buy extra seconds for the deep pass, he tends to struggle with some fo the shorter stuff that's automatic for most qbs including Mariota.

Mariota can't see downfield so he's always going to struggle in that department, but his release is so fast and is short-game accuracy so good that he's able to make up for his short-comings of not being able to make every throw. He's also, much like Teddy and Locker, a very fragile qb who gets seriously rattled when huge defensive linemen have their way with him on the field. 

Osweiler appears to have reached his ceiling, and that's at a level decidedly below the other AFC S quarterbacks. As we move forward the real debates will probably center around Mariota vs Osweiler as the league's scrub qbs, and Bortles vs Luck as the league's top qbs. Like Henne, Osweiler is really a career backup qb although unlike Henne he's being paid to start. He's prone to throwing INTs as it seems he'll simply never quite figure out how to avoid them. Bortles has been throwing his fair share of INTs as well, but at least with him there's hope that he's simply still young and will get better. Osweiler can also be streaky with his accuracy and at times can become erratic.

Luck is clearly the most polished qb of the group. There is a feeling in Jacksonville that Bortles will ultimately prove to be the superior qb, and some feel he already is, but Luck simply plays at a higher level when he's not under duress. The Broncos and Jaguars have shown that you can hinder Luck with a good pass rush, but when Andrew has time to throw he's truly one of the league's better qbs. What Luck needs is protection.

'02

Quote:Bortles can use a tighter spiral, better accuracy, and a stronger short area game. While it's great that he has stellar downfield vision and the ability to buy extra seconds for the deep pass, he tends to struggle with some fo the shorter stuff that's automatic for most qbs including Mariota.

Mariota can't see downfield so he's always going to struggle in that department, but his release is so fast and is short-game accuracy so good that he's able to make up for his short-comings of not being able to make every throw. He's also, much like Teddy and Locker, a very fragile qb who gets seriously rattled when huge defensive linemen have their way with him on the field. 

Osweiler appears to have reached his ceiling, and that's at a level decidedly below the other AFC S quarterbacks. As we move forward the real debates will probably center around Mariota vs Osweiler as the league's scrub qbs, and Bortles vs Luck as the league's top qbs. Like Henne, Osweiler is really a career backup qb although unlike Henne he's being paid to start. He's prone to throwing INTs as it seems he'll simply never quite figure out how to avoid them. Bortles has been throwing his fair share of INTs as well, but at least with him there's hope that he's simply still young and will get better. Osweiler can also be streaky with his accuracy and at times can become erratic.

Luck is clearly the most polished qb of the group. There is a feeling in Jacksonville that Bortles will ultimately prove to be the superior qb, and some feel he already is, but Luck simply plays at a higher level when he's not under duress. The Broncos and Jaguars have shown that you can hinder Luck with a good pass rush, but when Andrew has time to throw he's truly one of the league's better qbs. What Luck needs is protection.
Very nice summary.  

We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

Quote: 

This is my favorite part.

If Osweiler is close to as bad as Henne.... I'll be happy the tinhorns made yet another boneheaded move.

But hey, eventually having Watt on your roster will get ya a ring... amirite?