Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Mariota isn't all that great but he is a functional passer, which is much more than Bortles can say for himself.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Whelp, Blake is certainly not looking like a potential franchise QB anymore. More like a one year wonder. I still have hope he can turn it around, but wow. The only TD he scored today was a pick that Julius Thomas wrestled away.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

If the question BB vs __ is anyone except for Gabbert or Fitzpatrick, the answer is __. 

Quote:If the question BB vs __ is anyone except for Gabbert or Fitzpatrick, the answer is __.

Gabbert is better, he may be a wuss, but at least he can functionally throw a football.

Bb5 is circling the toilet bowl at this point. I'm not sure he can recover...

At this point MM appears to be the more serviceable qb. But that's not really a glowing endorsement...

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 08:49 AM by JackCity.)

Quote:Yeah but when lucks stats are bad they bring out wins or injuries. You can't win.

Bortles was substantially better last year and 5 games in I dont think there's much between them . Bortles been a bit more clutch.
Is Bortles still "top dog"?

Is he still better than Luck?

Don't be afraid to post man, own it.

Bortles vs Luck lol that's like comparing Ruths Chris to Carl's Jr.

Bortles being Carl's Jr of course lol

Quote:Is Bortles still "top dog"?

Is he still better than Luck?

Don't be afraid to post man, own it.

I update at the end of the season. Let's not forget Bortles beat Luck and wins are your barometer.

Bortles is playing badly but not as bad as 2015 Luck. So will give the benefit of the doubt and reassess at end of the year.

They really need to start using his mobility again as this year's pocket passing Bortles isn't working at the moment.

Quote:I update at the end of the season. Let's not forget Bortles beat Luck and wins are your barometer.

Bortles is playing badly but not as bad as 2015 Luck. So will give the benefit of the doubt and reassess at end of the year.

They really need to start using his mobility again as this year's pocket passing Bortles isn't working at the moment.
Of course to get a fair comparison, let's compare Bortles to Luck's worst season. Yup, that is how you get a fair and unbiased comparison.

Still, let's take a look:

Luck 2015:    (7 games played) 162 of 293 55.3% completion, 1,881 yards, 15 TDs, 12 INTS  74.9 Rating

Bortles 2016: (6 games played) 141 of 236, 59.7% completion, 1,567 yards, 9 TDs, 9 INTs, 76.4 Rating

So, although we are comparing Bortle's to Luck's worst year, Bortles doesn't come out ahead by much.

Quote:I update at the end of the season. Let's not forget Bortles beat Luck and wins are your barometer.

In other words you arn't able to admit that Luck is better.

Let's talk about 2016 Bortles and Luck. Who do you think is the better QB?

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2016, 08:30 PM by lastonealive.)

Quote:In other words you arn't able to admit that Luck is better.

Let's talk about 2016 Bortles and Luck. Who do you think is the better QB?

Sorry misread the Q

I think Luck has played better so far (not as much as it looks in the stats) but can draw conclusions at the end of the year when they have played it out.

Lets not forget who outplayed who in the head to head, Bortles has played well in several games but his awful games have been horrendous.

Luck regularly over his career struggles to score early in games too. Last year i think he was scoreless in 3 or more of his starts at half time. People would run Bortles out of town for that

PS Ty Hilton is outplaying Allen Robinson by a mile right now too, he can't be covered at the moment

Quote:Bortles is playing badly but not as bad as 2015 Luck. So will give the benefit of the doubt and reassess at end of the year.
The same 2015 Andrew Luck that hurt his shoulder in the preseason, toughed it out for a few games, and then hurt it worse and missed the rest of the year?

Good comparison. 

WELP......

Sick

I'm still convinced Bortles can be our franchise QB one day leading us to the SB. Obviously he's been struggling so far this season, but I feel it would be a grave mistake to give up on him because of this. He needs to fight through this to progress to the next level. Sometimes you have to take a step back before you take two steps forward. This year he took a step back. Just maybe next year he'll take two steps forward. I understand why so many are impatient with Gus, but for the sake of the Jaguars franchise, I beg you to be patient with Blake.

'02

Quote:I'm still convinced Bortles can be our franchise QB one day leading us to the SB. Obviously he's been struggling so far this season, but I feel it would be a grave mistake to give up on him because of this. He needs to fight through this to progress to the next level. Sometimes you have to take a step back before you take two steps forward. This year he took a step back. Just maybe next year he'll take two steps forward. I understand why so many are impatient with Gus, but for the sake of the Jaguars franchise, I beg you to be patient with Blake.
I can agree with this.

But I'd say he's on a pretty short leash with a new coach staff.

And someone will be brought in veteran or Allen (or other young guy McCarron, trade from team coach comes from etc) for a real competition, imo.

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2016, 02:09 PM by Flash7.)

Per ProFootballTalk.com - Bortles is the king of garbage time stat padding

"Bortles puts up huge stats in the fourth quarters of games. Now, if Bortles were doing that while leading fourth-quarter comeback wins, it would be one thing. But the Jaguars are 10-26 in Bortles’ 36 career starts, and Bortles has engineered just five game-winning drives in his three NFL seasons."

First quarter: 1,598 yards, 4 touchdowns

Second quarter: 2,356 yards, 15 touchdowns
Third quarter: 1,912 yards, 13 touchdowns
Fourth quarter: 3,364 yards 26 touchdowns

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...t-padding/

Per ESPN.com:

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">"Since he came into the league in 2014, no quarterback has thrown more passes with their team trailing by 20 points or more than Bortles (184). The next closest is Miami’s Ryan Tannehill (166).

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">Bortles also threw all three of his touchdown passes against the Titans with the Jaguars trailing by at least 21 points. He now has more touchdown passes in his career when trailing by 21 points or more (11) than he has when the game is tied or the Jaguars are ahead (nine).

<p style="font-family:Georgia, 'Times New Roman', Times, serif;font-size:16px;color:rgb(72,73,74);">Bortles has thrown 47 touchdown passes since the beginning of the 2014 season and 20 of those have come when the Jaguars trailed by double digits, including seven of his 12 TD passes this season."

I would love to see the career breakdown for the other AFC South QBs by quarter as well.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Mariota is far better now.  He got better, Blake got worse than even his rookie year.

/thread

Quote:I would love to see the career breakdown for the other AFC South QBs by quarter as well.
Much smaller...

Luck in comparison had 937 6TD in 4th Q in 2013

and 986 and 9 in 2014

Mariota 743 and 4 in 2015

and 491 and 6 this year

A lot of that has to do with a bad defense. Some of it has to do with bad running game.

But more often than not we were within 2 scores when Bortles was tossing them rocks.

Allen Robinson has like 8 or 9 drops this season... there are about 20 total by Jaguar WRs this season

Still no run game. Still no fire from coaching staff.

Can't give up on Bortles but he doesn't look good right now at all.