Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
MM vs BB

Quote:This guy wouldnt stop calling me a troll for saying Marcus was better than Blake, his analysis isn't worthwhile

Want that teddy? I was right. You're such a troll.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Want that teddy? I was right. You're such a troll.
Hang on, I hope I'm reading the implications wrong. Cause it looks like you are trying to say you were right that Blake is better than Mariota. Hopefully I'm just missing it somehow, cause I would seriously question anyone's mental capacity if they really think Blake is better than Mariota. 

Quote:Hang on, I hope I'm reading the implications wrong. Cause it looks like you are trying to say you were right that Blake is better than Mariota. Hopefully I'm just missing it somehow, cause I would seriously question anyone's mental capacity if they really think Blake is better than Mariota.
First off my stupid tablet autocorrected wasn't to want, we were arguing about Teddy Bridgewater, not Mariota. That guy had been saying Teddy Bridgewater was better than Bortles over the off season.

Second off Mariota is playing better than Bortles right now, not that it's saying much, Bortles is looking like [BLEEP], and I don't recall ever saying differently regarding their current play over the last several weeks. That doesn't mean I think Mariota is great, he's just better than a guy that has been imploding on the field.

Quote:Want that teddy? I was right. You're such a troll.
If teddy wasnt injured hed be playing better than Blake too lol

How is this thread even still going? Mariota isn't all that great but he is in a different universe than the fat drunk we have posing as a QB.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Better late than never as Mariota takes over first place overall. Here's the latest...

Week nine results...

1. Marcus Mariota - 27 of 43 (62.8%) for 313 yards (7.3 YPA), 3 TDs and 2 INTs for a 88.6 qb rating <strong>with 1 fumble
    </strong>(1 lost), 1 rush TD

2. Blake Bortles - 22 of 41 (59.2%) for 252 yards (6.1 YPA), 2 TDs and 1 INT for a 78.5 qb rating

3. Andrew Luck - 23 of 36
    (63.9%)
    for 281 yards
    (7.8 YPA)
    , 1 TD and 2 INTs for a 74.0 qb rating

Overall results...

1. Marcus Mariota - 184 of 291 (63.2%)<span style="color:#008080;"><span style="color:#008080;"><strong>
    </strong>for 2,187 yards
    (7.5 YPA), 17 TDs and 8 INTs for a 94.1 qb rating with 7 fumbles (4 lost), 2 rush TDs</span></span>
  2. Andrew Luck - 221 of 347 (63.7%) for 2,565 yards (7.4 YPA), 17 TDs and 7 INTs for a 93.9 qb rating with 4 fumbles (3 lost), 1 rush TD

3. Blake Bortles - 196 of 331 (59.2%) for 2,156 yards (6.5 YPA), 14 TDs and 10 INTs for a 80.1 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost), 1 rush TD

4. Brock Osweiler - 176 of 297
    (59.3%)
    for 1,719 yards
    (5.8 YPA)
    , 9 TDs and 9 INTs for a 73.1 rating with 5 fumbles
    (1 lost)

Blake's stats ironically drop off dramatically under Hackett despite the Jaguars offense looking so much better against the Raiders. Overall though, Blake's stats are right at what I consider to be the minimal acceptable numbers for a starting NFL quarterback. For instance, I've long realized that 59 percent is the number that qbs must reach as a completion percentage. Go under this number and the wins go down dramatically. The other numbers I expect to see are at least a 6.5 YPA, an 80 qb rating and more total TDs than turnovers. With 15 TDs compared to 12 turnovers, Blake as well breaks even on the final stat. In other words, despite his obvious slump for the first half of this season, he's still right on track for a good season statistically outside of the W-L column, and it's hoped that he'll regain his confidence under Hackett.

'02

Quote:Better late than never as Mariota takes over first place overall. Here's the latest...

Week nine results...

1. Marcus Mariota - 27 of 43 (62.8%) for 313 yards (7.3 YPA), 3 TDs and 2 INTs for a 88.6 qb rating <strong>with 1 fumble
    </strong>(1 lost), 1 rush TD

2. Blake Bortles - 22 of 41 (59.2%) for 252 yards (6.1 YPA), 2 TDs and 1 INT for a 78.5 qb rating

3. Andrew Luck - 23 of 36
    (63.9%)
    for 281 yards
    (7.8 YPA)
    , 1 TD and 2 INTs for a 74.0 qb rating

Overall results...

1. Marcus Mariota - 184 of 291 (63.2%)<span style="color:#008080;"><span style="color:#008080;"><strong>
    </strong>for 2,187 yards
    (7.5 YPA), 17 TDs and 8 INTs for a 94.1 qb rating with 7 fumbles (4 lost), 2 rush TDs</span></span>
  2. Andrew Luck - 221 of 347 (63.7%) for 2,565 yards (7.4 YPA), 17 TDs and 7 INTs for a 93.9 qb rating with 4 fumbles (3 lost), 1 rush TD

3. Blake Bortles - 196 of 331 (59.2%) for 2,156 yards (6.5 YPA), 14 TDs and 10 INTs for a 80.1 qb rating with 2 fumbles (2 lost), 1 rush TD

4. Brock Osweiler - 176 of 297
    (59.3%)
    for 1,719 yards
    (5.8 YPA)
    , 9 TDs and 9 INTs for a 73.1 rating with 5 fumbles
    (1 lost)

Blake's stats ironically drop off dramatically under Hackett despite the Jaguars offense looking so much better against the Raiders. Overall though, Blake's stats are right at what I consider to be the minimal acceptable numbers for a starting NFL quarterback. For instance, I've long realized that 59 percent is the number that qbs must reach as a completion percentage. Go under this number and the wins go down dramatically. The other numbers I expect to see are at least a 6.5 YPA, an 80 qb rating and more total TDs than turnovers. With 15 TDs compared to 12 turnovers, Blake as well breaks even on the final stat. In other words, despite his obvious slump for the first half of this season, he's still right on track for a good season statistically outside of the W-L column, and it's hoped that he'll regain his confidence under Hackett.

So in other words, you think you must at least be 26th in Completion, 28th in YPA, and 27th in QB rating to be an acceptable starting QB? Why think that being bottom 5 across all major categories is the standard of acceptable QB play?

Quote:So in other words, you think you must at least be 26th in Completion, 28th in YPA, and 27th in QB rating to be an acceptable starting QB? Why think that being bottom 5 across all major categories is the standard of acceptable QB play?

Those are all minimal marks that any starting qb in the NFL should be able to reach. He must improve from here because lower numbers simply won't cut it in this league. With a good enough run game and defense, a team can win with these qb numbers, but being "acceptable" doesn't mean good. He's clearly playing at a mediocre level this year. In other words, it's like passing with a D grade, and in Blake's case this year, it took a bit of garbage time playing just to reach this D grade. Fall short of these numbers and you pretty much have to fail the guy, although the Texans have been proving that a team can win even in the qb has a failing grade. 

'02

59%, 6.5 YPA, and "more TDs than INT" makes for a very bad QB, not passable at all. Mid 60%, 7+ YPA, and 2:1 TD:INT are the thresholds for an average starting QB.

Also, don't already be forgetting how Blake is putting up these stats. He's still doing virtually nothing until they are trailing by two scores or more. This is how Blake fooled people into falsely thinking he was a franchise QB last year, and he's obviously been much worse than that this year.

Blakes splits:

Leading: 59%, 1 TD, 1 INT, 6.5 YPA

Tied: 47%, 1 TD, 2 INT, 4.3 YPA

1st Quarter: 47%, 1 TD, 5 INT, 4.4 YPA

1st half: 57%, 4 TD, 7 INT, 5.9 YPA

In summary, he's been godawful this year and trying to sugarcoat it any other way is completely disingenuous. 

Quote:59%, 6.5 YPA, and "more TDs than INT" makes for a very bad QB, not passable at all. Mid 60%, 7+ YPA, and 2:1 TD:INT are the thresholds for an average starting QB.

Also, don't already be forgetting how Blake is putting up these stats. He's still doing virtually nothing until they are trailing by two scores or more. This is how Blake fooled people into falsely thinking he was a franchise QB last year, and he's obviously been much worse than that this year.

Blakes splits:

Leading: 59%, 1 TD, 1 INT, 6.5 YPA

Tied: 47%, 1 TD, 2 INT, 4.3 YPA

1st Quarter: 47%, 1 TD, 5 INT, 4.4 YPA

1st half: 57%, 4 TD, 7 INT, 5.9 YPA

In summary, he's been godawful this year and trying to sugarcoat it any other way is completely disingenuous. 
That's true, in the first half.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:59%, 6.5 YPA, and "more TDs than INT" makes for a very bad QB, not passable at all. Mid 60%, 7+ YPA, and 2:1 TD:INT are the thresholds for an average starting QB.

I don't think you quite get what I'm saying. The thresholds I mentioned are the minimum stats a qb must reach to play in this league, which is why I say it's like passing with a D grade. This makes him a mediocre qb...not average, but not "very bad" either. Meeting thresholds for an average qb would be like passing with a C grade or better, and the thresholds you mentioned would be more like a B grade.

Over half of the league's starting qbs fail to meet your thresholds (listed from best to worst passer rating). These include...

Aaron Rodgers <--- 6.4 YPA
Kirk Cousins

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Tryod Taylor

Carson Wentz

Ryan Tannehill

Paxton Lynch

Trevor Siemian

Jay Cutler

Jameis Winston

Cam Newton

Blake Bortles

Colin Kaepernick

Joe Flacco

Case Keenum

Brock Osweiler

Blaine Gabbert

Ryan Fitzpatrick

The last six behind Bortles, as well as Jay Cutler, fail to even make my minimums suggesting they are subject to being yanked at any time if they haven't been already.

'02

Quote:I don't think you quite get what I'm saying. The thresholds I mentioned are the minimum stats a qb must reach to play in this league, which is why I say it's like passing with a D grade. This makes him a mediocre qb...not average, but not "very bad" either. Meeting thresholds for an average qb would be like passing with a C grade or better, and the thresholds you mentioned would be more like a B grade.

Over half of the league's starting qbs fail to meet your thresholds (listed from best to worst passer rating). These include...

Aaron Rodgers <--- 6.4 YPA
Kirk Cousins

Eli Manning

Carson Palmer

Tryod Taylor

Carson Wentz

Ryan Tannehill

Paxton Lynch

Trevor Siemian

Jay Cutler

Jameis Winston

Cam Newton

Blake Bortles

Colin Kaepernick

Joe Flacco

Case Keenum

Brock Osweiler

Blaine Gabbert

Ryan Fitzpatrick

The last six behind Bortles, as well as Jay Cutler, fail to even make my minimums suggesting they are subject to being yanked at any time if they haven't been already.
I agree with your thought on his standards being 'good.' But looking at this list I can see the QB play definitely took a hit this year. 

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2016, 12:57 PM by KYjaggy.)

Quote:I don't think you quite get what I'm saying. The thresholds I mentioned are the minimum stats a qb must reach to play in this league, which is why I say it's like passing with a D grade. This makes him a mediocre qb...not average, but not "very bad" either. Meeting thresholds for an average qb would be like passing with a C grade or better, and the thresholds you mentioned would be more like a B grade.
I'm not putting a grade on it, but if you have the thresholds you said the team needs to be looking for a replacement as soon as possible. The ones I said are the ones where you are pretty comfortable in your job security, but you're still not near elite.

Quote:I'm not putting a grade on it, but if you have the thresholds you said the team needs to be looking for a replacement as soon as possible. The ones I said are the ones where you are pretty comfortable in your job security, but you're still not near elite.

I can agree with that. I'm nowhere near talking about Blake possibly playing good. These minimal thresholds can be telling. When Blaine Gabbert was qb, I kept waiting for him to reach these thresholds consistently, but that was never close to happening.

'02

[BLEEP], Mariota looks good today.
We learned in the Sunday School who made the sun shine through.  I know who made the moonshine too, back where I come from.

the thing many people don't see, or don't want to admit... teams play different when the game is tied, when they're winning, & when they're trailing.

most teams. the really good teams are more consistent.

Blake simply doesn't play well enough when it counts, when the team's are even, or when his team is leading. the team as a whole has a problem playing well when it counts.

lots of talent though.
ImATexan

@Jags02 Just curious... You give the Titans' running game and offensive line credit for Mariota's success, but claim Bortles doesn't need protection to succeed, yet here we are. How do you justify this? Your FO has once again left the Jaguars empty handed and Mariota is probably a little better than you (and I) estimated. For the Jaguars, I still stand that Bortles is not the problem. It's coaching and the FO.

Quote:[BAD WORD REMOVED], Mariota looks good today.

Just wait a few more years... The law of averages proves eventually we'll get a qb better than you stinkin' tacks have.

:-)

Quote:Just wait a few more years... The law of averages proves eventually we'll get a qb better than you stinkin' tacks have.

Dude even the law of averages #BecauseJaguars. I say we never get a better QB before London

(This post was last modified: 11-14-2016, 01:17 PM by Jerrad.)

Quote:Just wait a few more years... The law of averages proves eventually we'll get a qb better than you stinkin' tacks have.

We will never have a good QB ever again. We peaked with Brunell.

The law of averages don't apply to this franchise. We are doomed to watch horse [BLEEP] football for the rest of our days.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!