Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gratz at FS

I know it's been stated that the coaching staff is going to keep him at CB. But I think that if he's going to be buried on the depth chart at that spot as the dimeback anyway, why not give him a shot at the FS spot since the coachs do always preach about "competition". 

Here's the case for Gratz at FS: He's a solid tackler, always comes up in run support and I rarely (if ever) see him whiff a tackle. He can play the deep zone. As far as gratz goes he never had trouble manning the deep third of the field as a CB in the Cover-3 scheme we like to run with the press-bail technique. as a FS he'd be asked to man the middle third instead of the third by the sideline but I don't think it's beyond his capabilities. He seems to have good instincts and is usually positionally sound for a second year player. Sergio Brown has never been a full time starter outside of a few games last year so he's a question mark at the position, and James Sample is out until mid training camp and is a rookie (with only 1 year of starting experience in college no less) why not at least see what you have in Gratz at FS if he's going to be behind McCray, House and Colvin anway?

The case against Gratz at FS: can he make the calls and call shots as the leader of the secondary? the FS is the one calling coverages and communicating with the MLB as to who should be where and how to roll coverages before the snap, is Gratz capable of doing this? Lack of speed, the biggest shortfall of Gratz as a CB is his lack of elite makeup speed, don't get me wrong he's not exactly slow, but he's not closing the gap if he's beat like Mathis used to. FS would mask that speed deficiency somewhat, but in this scheme it's ideal to have sideline to sideline range/speed ala Earl Thomas and I don't know if Gratz has that. Lack of experience, Colvin at least played some Safety in college, I don't believe Gratz ever did, so if he were to switch there would be an adjustment. 

Is it worth exploring whether or not Gratz can secure the starting spot at FS this season? it seems like it's up for grabs, why not throw his name into the mix?

Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It would be worth a try. He's a hot mess at corner I tell you what.
-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

(This post was last modified: 06-12-2015, 01:31 AM by TJBender.)

Consider the mess that the FS position has been thus far. Evans won the job by default partway through his rookie season when Dwight Lowery went down, then lost it to Winston Guy in training camp last year. Guy was so astoundingly good that he was cut a few weeks into the season, and Evans won the job by default again, playing so well that he was replaced by Sergio Brown, who is far from a star DB himself.

Given what a cluster FS has been, doesn't it stand to reason that if the coaching staff felt like Gratz had any real potential as a safety, they'd have tried him there by now?

Well put Bender. Agree

Quote:It would be worth a try. He's a hot mess at corner I tell you what.

He's not that bad. Only thing he's a hot mess at is basic economics. You can't pay for things in bubblegum, Dwayne. Businesses typically prefer legal tender in exchange for their products.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

never understand why he plays so far off when he is so big for a corner. He must not have good speed and is afraid to be burnt so he plays off and has a 10 yard head start? Im sure he would be pretty open to moving to FS considering he is the 4th CB right now. With Sample out for a little while maybe Gratz could cross train?

Not a crazy suggestion, Firesky.  

But - as was mentioned - I'd bet they've already thought of and dismissed the idea.  Most likely for the reason you initially stated.  I doubt they trust him to lead the secondary from center field. 

He knows more of the secondary/defense than Brown or Sample though 

Quote:He knows more of the secondary/defense than Brown or Sample though 

Doesn't mean he's smart enough to "run" it.  If he was getting confused about his assignments and when to break coverage at corner - he's not the man you want  calling the shots/making adjustments in the secondary.

Wouldn't mind it at all. No point being the 4th CB when he can also play FS. Give it a try if Sample doesn't produce. 

I remember Brian Williams moved to Safety..

I would be all for it.

Quote:Doesn't mean he's smart enough to "run" it.  If he was getting confused about his assignments and when to break coverage at corner - he's not the man you want  calling the shots/making adjustments in the secondary.

This.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2015, 07:56 PM by diamondjag28.)

Quote:Consider the mess that the FS position has been thus far. He won the job by default partway through his rookie season when Dwight Lowery went down, then lost it to Winston Guy in training camp last year. Guy was so astoundingly good that he was cut a few weeks into the season, and Evans won the job by default again, playing so well that he was replaced by Sergio Brown, who is far from a star DB himself.

Given what a cluster FS has been, doesn't it stand to reason that if the coaching staff felt like Gratz had any real potential as a safety, they'd have tried him there by now?
Point taken, but this roster has been thin at corner too. I'd argue that Gratz has started since a rookie at corner out of necessity too.

I don't think he has the ball skills to play fs tho. He'd probably be a good ss but we'll never know.

Quote:Doesn't mean he's smart enough to "run" it.  If he was getting confused about his assignments and when to break coverage at corner - he's not the man you want  calling the shots/making adjustments in the secondary.
It will be football's version of the Home Run Derby.

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Nick Marshall

Quote:I remember Brian Williams moved to Safety..

I would be all for it.

I remember when Done Carey was moved to safety...
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2015, 08:47 PM by knarnn.)

Just sign Tashaun Gipson next year. He wants out and the Browns aren't willing to commit to him with a long term contract.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Bubble gum to the rescue!

Quote:Just sign Tashaun Gipson next year. He wants out and the Browns aren't willing to commit to him with a long term contract.

Or we can draft a FS next year. There's a guy coming out who's a game changer at the FS position, the type you build a defense around. His name is Jaelen Ramsey out of FSU. I'm sure we will be picking high again .
-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

Quote:Consider the mess that the FS position has been thus far. Evans won the job by default partway through his rookie season when Dwight Lowery went down, then lost it to Winston Guy in training camp last year. Guy was so astoundingly good that he was cut a few weeks into the season, and Evans won the job by default again, playing so well that he was replaced by Sergio Brown, who is far from a star DB himself.

No, because it hadn't been suggested on the message board yet.  Now they can move forward with this.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]