Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Surprisingly accurate Bleacher Report article on the expected improvement of Blake Bortles

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Sounds about right to me. 

Great read. One thing I noticed was Hurns name coming up on most of his big plays. Hopefully that trend continues, his double move was phenomenal.

The improved mechanics, OL, and scheme should all help Bortles break out
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Hurns is a stretch player for sure.  If Bortles is to take the next step, he'll need to improve his accuracy and volume of deep attempts.  That'll help the running game and give him more time.

Our low amount of rushes last year was astounding. I realize we were losing most of our games which forced us to pass. We were also not very good at the run and sometimes would abandon it early. Not a good recipe for a rookie Quarterback. Ben's rookie year he had Bettis. The colts went and got Edge after Peyton's terrible rookie year and that seemed to help turn him around. 

Hard to argue with anything he said.

We averaged 6.5 a pop

Id say thats a pretty good run game, but we didnt run it enough.

Catch 22

Quote:We averaged 6.5 a pop

Id say thats a pretty good run game, but we didnt run it enough.

Catch 22

We averaged 4.5 per carry.

Disclude Henne and Bortles and it was 3.9 per carry.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

^^^My bad

6.5 percent drop rate.(terrible)

Looks like Bortles excels in play action and roll outs.

With an improved line his numbers could take off on his traditional drop backs.

This is encouraging

I think the biggest indicator will be if his improved mechanics hold up during the actual games with real bullets flying.  I think last year, the more he got pressured the worse his mechanics became, and he was back to his college form later in the season.  The OL will have a huge impact on his ability to develop during his second year.  First by getting the run game going with improved run blocking, and second by picking up the pass-coverage and blitzes during passing downs, giving him enough time to complete his progression.

Quote:I think the biggest indicator will be if his improved mechanics hold up during the actual games with real bullets flying.  I think last year, the more he got pressured the worse his mechanics became, and he was back to his college form later in the season.  The OL will have a huge impact on his ability to develop during his second year.  First by getting the run game going with improved run blocking, and second by picking up the pass-coverage and blitzes during passing downs, giving him enough time to complete his progression.

I wouldn't call it "college form" as much as his mechanics suffered as his arm wore down as the season progressed.

That's what they're coaching him on this offseason - recognizing when he's doing that and self-adjusting.

A rookie QB is basically throwing footballs during his final college season, through the offseason meat market, and on into camp, preseason, and regular season (if they are rookie starters.)

As his arm wore down, he compensated trying to muscle extra zip.  That leads to all kinds of footwork and other mechanical issues which are caused by fatigue, not "college form."

But you're right about what happens when the bullets fly.  Will he retain what he's learned and be able to identify breakdowns and self-adjust, or slip back into fatigue mode?

We'll see.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:I wouldn't call it "college form" as much as his mechanics suffered as his arm wore down as the season progressed.

That's what they're coaching him on this offseason - recognizing when he's doing that and self-adjusting.

A rookie QB is basically throwing footballs during his final college season, through the offseason meat market, and on into camp, preseason, and regular season (if they are rookie starters.)

As his arm wore down, he compensated trying to muscle extra zip. That leads to all kinds of footwork and other mechanical issues which are caused by fatigue, not "college form."

But you're right about what happens when the bullets fly. Will he retain what he's learned and be able to identify breakdowns and self-adjust, or slip back into fatigue mode?

We'll see.

I remember hearing around the start of OTAs that he has a mental checklist now to go through and fix his mechanics if they're breaking down in real time. Sort of a self diagnostic check and that he realizes when he's not in form now.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:I wouldn't call it "college form" as much as his mechanics suffered as his arm wore down as the season progressed.

As his arm wore down, he compensated trying to muscle extra zip.  That leads to all kinds of footwork and other mechanical issues which are caused by fatigue, not "college form."

But you're right about what happens when the bullets fly.  Will he retain what he's learned and be able to identify breakdowns and self-adjust, or slip back into fatigue mode?

We'll see.

Folks need to keep in mind that the original intent for Bortles was that he would spend his rookie season watching, learning, and focusing on his mechanics.  As it turned out, that didn't happen, and he was tossed into the mix far sooner than anticipated.

An interesting point from the article that I think most people were frustrated by last year, and it most definitely contributed to the fact that Bortles started to suffer from fatigue late in the season, and this allowed bad habits to reemerge in his mechanics.  We didn't run the ball enough.  Fisch was so determined to focus on the passing game that he almost completely abandoned the rushing attack.  28th in the league in rushing attempts while also having the 6th best YPC average in the league?  It's really no wonder Fisch is no longer here.  Had he actually run a more balanced attack, it would have taken some of the pressure off of Bortles as a rookie.

It's water under the bridge now, and it really doesn't sound like Bortles was ruined in the same manner Gabbert was after a disastrous rookie season.  Bortles seems to have a better mindset about adversity and how he deals with it.  I am highly optimistic that Olson, despite his lack of production in Oakland, will probably be a really good fit with Bortles.  Having more talent around him SHOULD prove to be a good way to set things up for Bortles to succeed.  If he struggles with all of these weapons on the field, and an improved line in front of him, then it was a bad pick.  I don't see that happening.  I have a good feeling about where things are headed, and Bortles is key in this team turning things around quickly.  I think he makes significant strides this year.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think having a solid run game and better OL will help with a majority of the problems. Bortles may have had a bad season, if your looking at the stats only. If he watched the games you saw how much pressure this guy delt with and how many times he had to make plays out of nothing, or innovate or throw into tighter coverage trying to do too much. Also while playing with young WRs and never having the same group on the field. Im just happy he made it through the season not dead. Biggest potential of any QB. Not to mention putting him in terrible situation with terrible play calls...... Jedd Fisch was soooooo bad!!!!

Twitter Follow: @jSp3nce

Quote:Folks need to keep in mind that the original intent for Bortles was that he would spend his rookie season watching, learning, and focusing on his mechanics.  As it turned out, that didn't happen, and he was tossed into the mix far sooner than anticipated.

An interesting point from the article that I think most people were frustrated by last year, and it most definitely contributed to the fact that Bortles started to suffer from fatigue late in the season, and this allowed bad habits to reemerge in his mechanics.  We didn't run the ball enough.  Fisch was so determined to focus on the passing game that he almost completely abandoned the rushing attack.  28th in the league in rushing attempts while also having the 6th best YPC average in the league?  It's really no wonder Fisch is no longer here.  Had he actually run a more balanced attack, it would have taken some of the pressure off of Bortles as a rookie.

It's water under the bridge now, and it really doesn't sound like Bortles was ruined in the same manner Gabbert was after a disastrous rookie season.  Bortles seems to have a better mindset about adversity and how he deals with it.  I am highly optimistic that Olson, despite his lack of production in Oakland, will probably be a really good fit with Bortles.  Having more talent around him SHOULD prove to be a good way to set things up for Bortles to succeed.  If he struggles with all of these weapons on the field, and an improved line in front of him, then it was a bad pick.  I don't see that happening.  I have a good feeling about where things are headed, and Bortles is key in this team turning things around quickly.  I think he makes significant strides this year.

Agreed to all said.

Yes BB5 was drafted to sit out the 2014 year but we needed his services. I also agree that Fisch didn't scheme to the strengths of the offfense let alone BB5's strengths. I feel that the new offensive regime will taylor to the strengths of the offfensive players such as the defensive scheme. I'm excited to see the finished results w/respect to the progress of learning the offense and applying the teachings on the field.

Go Jaguars...

NH3...

"AZANE"

Quote:It's water under the bridge now, and it really doesn't sound like Bortles was ruined in the same manner Gabbert was after a disastrous rookie season. 

I hope you're not asserting that the less-than-ideal circumstances of Gabbert's rookie year were the reason for his massive failure as an NFL QB... The guy was absolute trash from the get go. He could've rode the bench for 4 years and nothing would have changed.

(This post was last modified: 06-08-2015, 09:18 PM by Chuckd.)

Quote:Folks need to keep in mind that the original intent for Bortles was that he would spend his rookie season watching, learning, and focusing on his mechanics. As it turned out, that didn't happen, and he was tossed into the mix far sooner than anticipated.

An interesting point from the article that I think most people were frustrated by last year, and it most definitely contributed to the fact that Bortles started to suffer from fatigue late in the season, and this allowed bad habits to reemerge in his mechanics. We didn't run the ball enough. Fisch was so determined to focus on the passing game that he almost completely abandoned the rushing attack. 28th in the league in rushing attempts while also having the 6th best YPC average in the league? It's really no wonder Fisch is no longer here. Had he actually run a more balanced attack, it would have taken some of the pressure off of Bortles as a rookie.

It's water under the bridge now, and it really doesn't sound like Bortles was ruined in the same manner Gabbert was after a disastrous rookie season. Bortles seems to have a better mindset about adversity and how he deals with it. I am highly optimistic that Olson, despite his lack of production in Oakland, will probably be a really good fit with Bortles. Having more talent around him SHOULD prove to be a good way to set things up for Bortles to succeed. If he struggles with all of these weapons on the field, and an improved line in front of him, then it was a bad pick. I don't see that happening. I have a good feeling about where things are headed, and Bortles is key in this team turning things around quickly. I think he makes significant strides this year.
What frustrated me at times was the obvious correct call during the game was a run. I'm surprised Gus didn't override a lot of pass calls just to not put the defense in a bad spot, or to help run some clock down, even if just a minute, etc. We gave a lot of teams a lot of free time outs last year.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

My ah come on man read from the article, "If Cecil Shorts could make a slight move on the safety, he could take the reception to the house for a touchdown" - Story of his play.  If.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:What frustrated me at times was the obvious correct call during the game was a run. I'm surprised Gus didn't override a lot of pass calls just to not put the defense in a bad spot, or to help run some clock down, even if just a minute, etc. We gave a lot of teams a lot of free time outs last year.
The last thing in the world I want is Gus overruling offensive play calls on the sideline during a game. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]