Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sample breaks arm in OTAs

It always sucks for a rookie to miss some or all of his first training camp, there are a lot of lessons to be learned once the pads come on. Identifying offensive sets, communicating with your fellow DBs/LBs, and being able to find your fit/position in any of a multitude of defensive formations.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:It always sucks for a rookie to miss some or all of his first training camp, there are a lot of lessons to be learned once the pads come on. Identifying offensive sets, communicating with your fellow DBs/LBs, and being able to find your fit/position in any of a multitude of defensive formations.

I get what you are trying to say but every thing you've just mentioned are things that they've been working on without pads.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:10 -12 weeks could mean he's back for pre-season games. He could miss plenty of camp.  His competition with Brown took a big hit from this injury any way you want to spin it. 

https://twitter.com/HaysCarlyon/status/6...9869677568

Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon  24h

<div style="color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">24 hours ago
<p style="font-size:26px;color:rgb(41,47,51);font-family:'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;">James Sample says he's out 10-12 weeks. #Jaguars

</div>

His amount of time out seems to be getting longer.

Looks to be a long shot that he can beat out Brown to start the year.

But I would not be surprised if he is starting at some point. Allen Robinson got off to a late start in camp last year and was the best receiver by October.

;

;

Quote:His amount of time out seems to be getting longer.

But I would not be surprised if he is starting at some point. Allen Robinson got off to a late start in camp last year and was the best receiver by October.

Yes.  This new prognosis is why I initially scoffed at "6 weeks."

I'd love to see him pull an Aaron Colvin and contribute in his rookie year despite a setback. It's certainly possible.  I'm only expressing disappointment that he'll miss out on valuable practice time.  

First it was "let's get McCourty" then it was "a mid-tier vet competes w/ a rookie" and now we are down to "start the mid-tier vet and cross your fingers about the rookie."  

It's not a fun narrative in the offseason to address what many called the weakest position in the defense last year.  FS was a priority to fix - so every little setback hurts. 

If Brown's play is sub-standard - I'm sure Sample will see some snaps early in the regular season. 

Hopefully he's healed enough by week 3 and 4 of preseason to get out there and put something on tape for the coaches to analyze. I'm fairly optimistic that'll happen. 

I don't really have high hopes for Sergio Brown. He's been a special teams player and spot starter for a reason. The sooner Sample replaces him, the better.

;

;

(This post was last modified: 06-09-2015, 02:22 PM by knarnn.)

It seems that a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in a mid round draft pick. I hope the expectation level is tempered and not being made unrealistic.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:It seems that a lot of people are putting a lot of faith in a mid round draft pick. I hope the expectation level is tempered and not being made unrealistic.

I have fairly low expectations, but I also think that we're talking about upgrading a position that was played very poorly at times by Evans.  So - if a fourth round pick can even be a "solid" starter late in his rookie season - it would be a significant upgrade. 

It's not unreasonable to think Sample has a decent chance of being an improvement at FS once he learns his role well enough.  As long as nobody's expecting him to be Earl Thomas. 

Quote:I have fairly low expectations, but I also think that we're talking about upgrading a position that was played very poorly at times by Evans.  So - if a fourth round pick can even be a "solid" starter late in his rookie season - it would be a significant upgrade. 

It's not unreasonable to think Sample has a decent chance of being an improvement at FS once he learns his role well enough.  As long as nobody's expecting him to be Earl Thomas. 
Especially not right out of the gate.  Maybe he develops into something, which would be outstanding.  I do think low expectations are the wise choice at this point.  Considering who he'll be competing with, that may be good enough for now.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

In this article about Cyprien and Brown, they talk about how they are making it a point to keep Sample engaged while he rehabilitates his injury.

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"...[We want to] keep him engaged with us and definitely don't let him get disconnected,' said the third-year defensive back.'We know that he'll be back soon. [We need to keep] asking him questions, make sure he's engaged in meetings. Just keep him with us, let know he's still a part of this and he can be up when he comes back
...'"

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:In <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/sports/2015/06/08/jacksonville-jaguars-safety-tandem-learning-and-excelling-together/28691977/'>this article</a> about Cyprien and Brown, they talk about how they are making it a point to keep Sample engaged while he rehabilitates his injury.

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"...[We want to] keep him engaged with us and definitely don't let him get disconnected,' said the third-year defensive back.'We know that he'll be back soon. [We need to keep] asking him questions, make sure he's engaged in meetings. Just keep him with us, let know he's still a part of this and he can be up when he comes back...'"

These are the things you want to be reading about.

Quote:He'll be back during training camp.  Should we panic?
No one's panicking but now you should realize what was trying to be explained to you, Mr. Orthopedic. 

Quote:No one's panicking but now you should realize what was trying to be explained to you, Mr. Orthopedic. 
An orthopedic surgeon who is on 1010XL every week said that if the severity of the injury is what they said, it shouldn't take 10-12 weeks for the bone to heal.  His estimate?  4-6 weeks.  He said if they're keeping him out for 10-12 weeks, they're being overly cautious.  I'll take his estimate from the perspective of someone who knows what he's talking about over someone who broke his ankle and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express any day.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:An orthopedic surgeon who is on 1010XL every week said that if the severity of the injury is what they said, it shouldn't take 10-12 weeks for the bone to heal.  His estimate?  4-6 weeks.  He said if they're keeping him out for 10-12 weeks, they're being overly cautious.  I'll take his estimate from the perspective of someone who knows what he's talking about over someone who broke his ankle and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express any day.
Maybe you shouldn't rely on the radio for your sources.  What was trying to be explained is that while the bone heals quickly, there is additional time needed to fully be 100% while everything gets back to normal.  Recovery impacts more than just the bone.  I know it intimately with my ankle. 

You have zero humility.

Quote:His amount of time out seems to be getting longer.

Similar story with Colvin.

It was a freak thing.  I wouldn't be surprised if he works his way in slow, then has the job by end of season.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:An orthopedic surgeon who is on 1010XL every week said that if the severity of the injury is what they said, it shouldn't take 10-12 weeks for the bone to heal.  His estimate?  4-6 weeks.  He said if they're keeping him out for 10-12 weeks, they're being overly cautious.  I'll take his estimate from the perspective of someone who knows what he's talking about over someone who broke his ankle and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express any day.

He also stated that he would need more information on the injury to really make a call he did not have injury information.  Irregardless just leave a cast on that thing no reason he shouldn't be able to go by training camp in my uneducated guess.  Is this still the nfl?  It used to be a tough guy league.  JJ Watt would be practicing.  

Don't be a baby .......Sample.

Quote:Maybe you shouldn't rely on the radio for your sources.  What was trying to be explained is that while the bone heals quickly, there is additional time needed to fully be 100% while everything gets back to normal.  Recovery impacts more than just the bone.  I know it intimately with my ankle. 

You have zero humility.
Right, because an orthopedic surgeon who actually knows what he's talking about is the last person you want to use as a point of reference.  Best to just lean on the opinion of some message board warrior who broke his ankle.  Enjoy your intimacy with your ankle. 

Humility is clearly something on which you're an expert.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://postimg.org/image/66ctoq7pb/'>[Image: anigif_optimized_28707_1425333318_2.jpg]</a>
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 11:28 AM by Jags32250.)

Quote:Right, because an orthopedic surgeon who actually knows what he's talking about is the last person you want to use as a point of reference. Best to just lean on the opinion of some message board warrior who broke his ankle. Enjoy your intimacy with your ankle.

Humility is clearly something on which you're an expert.
Unbelievable, you were completely wrong yet you're still yapping, don't you have 50 other active threads to tend to?

You hear a sound bite on the radio and obsess over it when clearly you didn't here the rest of the story, muscle attrition, immobilization, scar tissue that needs to break up and heal, physical therapy, etc. but no, FBT hear it takes 4 - 6 weeks for a bone to heal and he takes it to the bank. You were wrong, own it and move on.

(This post was last modified: 06-13-2015, 01:33 PM by ibjagged.)

when I broke my arm , it was a simple " coles fracture" .  no surgery , no screws . 2 weeks for the swelling to go down and then a cast for 8 weeks . after the cast came off  I had severe weakening for about a month. then it took quite a while to regain full mobility. it was about 6 months before I could hit a c chord on the guitar. its been a little over 3 years now and every once in a while it still hurts mildly.

Quote:when I broke my arm , it was a simple " coles fracture" . no surgery , no screws . 2 weeks for the swelling to go down and then a cast for 8 weeks . after the cast came off I had severe weakening for about a month. then it took quite a while to regain full mobility. it was about 6 months before I could hit a c chord on the guitar. its been a little over 3 years now and every once in a while it still hurts mildly.

Did you have access to the same resources NFL football players do?