Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
FIFA Officials Arrested on Corruption Charges

FIFA officials arrested in Switzerland on racketeering and corruption charges.  It looks like it was done by the FBI, but now the Swiss are looking into their choosing of Qatar and Russia for the next two World Cups.

Well deserved FIFA, well deserved.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/28/sports....html?_r=0

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hopefully Sepp Blatter goes down eventually. Also hoping that in the end the World Cup is taken away from Qatar.

;

;

I saw this last night and it made my heart happy. As most know FIFA is [BLEEP] corrupt as it gets. I just hope this brings about some big changes, and fast.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

I saw this and thought what took so long? It was almpst a non story since everyone knew it was corrupt.

Cheatriots strike again!

Hold on a sec while I dig around and try to find my shocked face!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Maybe it's because I'm not a soccer fan but I dont see the big deal. 

Quote:Maybe it's because I'm not a soccer fan but I dont see the big deal. 
The highest ranking soccer officials taking big time bribes, demanding big time bribes for votes in FIFA elections, host sites, etc., isn't a big deal? And FIFA has gotten so bold where they hardly tried to hide it anymore. They took who knows what yet from Qatar officials to get the World Cup. A country with very little people, no soccer facilities to speak of for an event this size, and average temps of 115 degrees or so. They have had to ship people in from other countries, pay them extremely low wages, zero safety initiatives, Almost 2,000 have died so far, and it's estimated that the number will be over 5,000 when all is said and done.

;

Quote:I saw this last night and it made my heart happy. As most know FIFA is as corrupt as it gets. I just hope this brings about some big changes, and fast.

This corruption issue is arguably one of the worst kept secrets on the face of the earth.  The funny thing is that with all of the other legitimate issues this country is facing, the Justice Department decides to put resources into this.  Incredible.  Not to turn this into a political discussion, but this is one of those "shiny things" distractions, IMO.  For as much as this JD has ignored over the past several years, this is the big case they want to run up the flagpole?  I guess it makes sense that one corrupt organization should recognize it's mirror image in another.  . 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:This corruption issue is arguably one of the worst kept secrets on the face of the earth.  The funny thing is that with all of the other legitimate issues this country is facing, the Justice Department decides to put resources into this.  Incredible.  Not to turn this into a political discussion, but this is one of those "shiny things" distractions, IMO.  For as much as this JD has ignored over the past several years, this is the big case they want to run up the flagpole?  I guess it makes sense that one corrupt organization should recognize it's mirror image in another.  . 

When the corruption is as blatant as this, what did you expect to eventually happen?  Just let it keep happening?

If they let FIFA continue to do this, why wouldn't every sports organization or company across the US start accepting bribes?  It's a slippery slope.

Quote:This corruption issue is arguably one of the worst kept secrets on the face of the earth.  The funny thing is that with all of the other legitimate issues this country is facing, the Justice Department decides to put resources into this.  Incredible.  Not to turn this into a political discussion, but this is one of those "shiny things" distractions, IMO.  For as much as this JD has ignored over the past several years, this is the big case they want to run up the flagpole?  I guess it makes sense that one corrupt organization should recognize it's mirror image in another.  . 

Jon Stewart pointed this out last night. FIFA members are corrupt, they get arrested. The largest banks in this country are corrupt, they get fined and some people lose their job.

;

;

Quote:This corruption issue is arguably one of the worst kept secrets on the face of the earth. The funny thing is that with all of the other legitimate issues this country is facing, the Justice Department decides to put resources into this. Incredible. Not to turn this into a political discussion, but this is one of those "shiny things" distractions, IMO. For as much as this JD has ignored over the past several years, this is the big case they want to run up the flagpole? I guess it makes sense that one corrupt organization should recognize it's mirror image in another. .

They had to do something. Also, 5,000 plus people are going to die in Qatar building facilities that don't need to be built. I think when you are the number 1 sport in the world and people are dieing, it is a pretty big deal.

Quote:They had to do something. Also, 5,000 plus people are going to die in Qatar building facilities that don't need to be built. I think when you are the number 1 sport in the world and people are dieing, it is a pretty big deal.

Exactly.  The US also bid on that and lost out to a country that didn't have the infrastructure to support it.  They lost it to a country that was lining the pockets of the people making the decisions. 

How much money did the US businesses lose in the process?

Quote:Jon Stewart pointed this out last night. FIFA members are corrupt, they get arrested. The largest banks in this country are corrupt, they get fined and some people lose their job.

When fines are in the billions, I would say the US government is doing their best to clean it up.

I can also tell you that the banks that have been hit the hardest are doing their best to clean up their acts.  They know the fines are only get larger.

Quote:When fines are in the billions, I would say the US government is doing their best to clean it up.

I can also tell you that the banks that have been hit the hardest are doing their best to clean up their acts.  They know the fines are only get larger.

But who is hurt most by the fines? The shareholders or the people guilty of manipulating foreign currency?

Quote:The highest ranking soccer officials taking big time bribes, demanding big time bribes for votes in FIFA elections, host sites, etc., isn't a big deal? And FIFA has gotten so bold where they hardly tried to hide it anymore. They took who knows what yet from Qatar officials to get the World Cup. A country with very little people, no soccer facilities to speak of for an event this size, and average temps of 115 degrees or so. They have had to ship people in from other countries, pay them extremely low wages, zero safety initiatives, Almost 2,000 have died so far, and it's estimated that the number will be over 5,000 when all is said and done.

With the bolded I really dont see it as a big deal no.  

Let's put things in perspective. These higher ups will be responsible for more then 5,000 deaths (government number so probably conservative) all to line their pockets. We have had less Americans die in the Iraq war (4,400+ was last count I saw). That is since 2003. The event should be shut down immediately. it is almost as if these lives mean nothing or they mean less then ours. It is pretty sick.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 02:28 PM by UCF Knight.)

Quote:But who is hurt most by the fines? The shareholders or the people guilty of manipulating foreign currency?

The shareholders.  The main reason compliance is quite possibly the #1 priority of all large banks right now.

You will never get all the people that are manipulating currency/libor/offerings, but the things being put in place now are light years ahead of what it has been.  Until the last year, most banks didnt even look at FX from a compliance end of things.  Now they are, and the SEC/FED/FINRA are deep diving into it.

Edit:  Let me add, the shareholders are a banks #1 priority anyway.  With the profit loss in recent years, they've quickly learned they need to clean up.

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 03:36 PM by TravC59.)

Quote:With the bolded I really dont see it as a big deal no.  
But the bold is not the only issue. The bold leads to the other things. If you can't see the whole picture I don't know what to say. Can't pick and choose what's effected.

;

(This post was last modified: 05-28-2015, 08:14 PM by Jinjo.)

About time. Finally america does something worth while in the soccer world.