Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What type of Greg Olson Offense should we expect?

The media stated that Greg Olson success with Quarterbacks, most recently Carr of the Raiders, is why he was brought in as the OC for Jacksonville.  Though the football outsiders list Carr only a couple guys above Blake Bortles (whom is at the bottom) for Quarterback rankings.  It is a good thing Marrone will be in charge of the Oline as the Raiders Oline was ranked poor, only slightly ahead of the Jaguars last year according to Football Outsiders whom ranked the raiders only above the Jaguars as the worst Team offense last year.  It begs the question why bring back the guy whom was the Oc under Mularkey when so many fans were upset with that season as the team's OC?  What offense scheme or type of playbook should we expect to see?

What does Olson say?  

---------------------------

"Certainly the win-loss record wasn't what we wanted it to be in Oakland," Olson said. "But I'll promise you that was important in his development. And when the franchise looks back, they'll say, 'That was a really important year for that quarterback,' so we're going to look at the same things with Blake."

----------------------

Did he basically tell fans to expect the same losses the Raiders had last season while he mentors Blake Bortles like Carr?  Oh boy we are in for another season like the last two....

----------

But the fact the Raiders and Jaguars ranked 31st and 32nd in the league in yards and points last year makes you wonder how much progress he represents over Jedd Fisch -NBC Sports stated

-------------------------

The best coach is a coach whom can adapt to his surroundings and pull the talent out of the players he was given to use as best as one can, and that is what Gus Bradley hopes Olson can do for his offense.

What can we expect from Greg Olson type of Offense this season in Jacksonville?

One might suggest a lot of roll out play action horizontal passing attacks. 

When you have Julius Thomas, M. Lewis, Clay Harbor, Ben Koyack, (possibly) Neal Sterling, among others you have to assume he plans on having two TEs on the field a majority of the time.

His young WR core is ideal for the short passing game, combined with fast running backs I would expect a heavy run first smash mouth offense.

What do you think his playbook will look like for the Jaguars?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think he meant the wins/losses in their rookie years. That those years for each QB will be looked at as very important for their development, despite the W/L's.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

They will run first and mix in around a dozen plays that are designed to at least try to enable playmakers to make plays. (Guys like Lee, the Robinsons, Thomas, and whomever emerges as a threat between now and September)

Bringing in this amount of O-linemen, an early round running back, and a center that knows the system should make it clear they want to take the pressure off of the second year QB and let him develop at a natural pace. 

I'm expecting lots of ground and pound, with a healthy dose of short and intermediate passing,  accompanied by the requisite "keep them honest" shots downfield.  Hopefully the passing game grows beyond that as the players learn the new offense and Bortles  develops. 

Tons of running

An I still wish greg was the QB coach.

I'm expecting an uptempo two TE offense

If Olson tailors the offense to the talent, like is what we keep hearing, I expect a lot of roll outs from Blake and designed running plays. Don't understimate the effect of a good running back (Yeldon) to create more opportunities for designed runs/roll outs and also play action. I think this may be a good thing for Blake until he really learns how to be that solid pocket passer. Use what you have, create to the strength of the QB and flourish! ......hopefully.

Quote:If Olson tailors the offense to the talent, like is what we keep hearing, I expect a lot of roll outs from Blake and designed running plays. Don't understimate the effect of a good running back (Yeldon) to create more opportunities for designed runs/roll outs and also play action. I think this may be a good thing for Blake until he really learns how to be that solid pocket passer. Use what you have, create to the strength of the QB and flourish! ......hopefully.

Also, the TE will undoubtedly be used a lot since Thomas will be our best receiver instantly until the young guys are experienced.

Heavy T. 

Twin Tight ends with emphasis on protection and someone releasing into their backfield with a safety facing

the future of a full head of steam TE with an evil grin headed straight for them.

Gonna b fun

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

I would think Joe Gibbs type of Offense since they keep mentioning H-back such as Neal Sterling might be where he is sort of a tight end hybrid slot receiver like an A-back able to stop the blitz and meant for catching short passes as I assume that will be the primary amount of throws Blake Bortles performs under Olson's offense.  Hmm I wonder if they see Yeldon as a Riggo type of player, I would love to see the counter-trey and Gibbs old offense in Jacksonville.

Hopefully something better than than what he tried at Oakland.These are stats for Oakland's offense in 2014:

32nd in yards/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in first downs/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in yards/play (decline from 2013)

32nd in rushing yards/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in rushing TD’s/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in passing yards/completion (decline from 2013)

31st in points/game (decline from 2013)

30th in TD’s/game (decline from 2013)

(source: www.teamrankings.com)

Quote:Hopefully something better than than what he tried at Oakland.These are stats for Oakland's offense in 2014:

Gotta put some blame on the players there.  Awful receivers, meh O-line, rookie QB, and the majority of the games they had the horrible duo of DMC/MJD running the ball.  I doubt any OC is going to do a whole lot better.

Quote:Gotta put some blame on the players there.  Awful receivers, meh O-line, rookie QB, and the majority of the games they had the horrible duo of DMC/MJD running the ball.  I doubt any OC is going to do a whole lot better.

To me that is the biggest criticism, especially when Murray came in and looked infinitely better than those two older vets. Why did that offense hold on to DMC/MJD too long before giving Murray his chance? And, from the outside looking in, the two coaches who should have had the most input on which RB to give touches to are both here in Jax (OC, RB coach)

Quote:To me that is the biggest criticism, especially when Murray came in and looked infinitely better than those two older vets. Why did that offense hold on to DMC/MJD too long before giving Murray his chance? And, from the outside looking in, the two coaches who should have had the most input on which RB to give touches to are both here in Jax (OC, RB coach)

They had a head coach for a reason. Its rare OC's and RB coaches are allowed to make decisions on who gets to start.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Ninja  Here's hoping the players play better the coaches coach.

Up tempo, 2 TE, and 2 RB sets

And 4 wide

Don't care as long as they score points.  Players, not plays.

Quote:They had a head coach for a reason. Its rare OC's and RB coaches are allowed to make decisions on who gets to start.
I thought it was the HC too and I brought that up to Raiders fans when we first hired Olson, but they blamed him.

Quote:Hopefully something better than than what he tried at Oakland.These are stats for Oakland's offense in 2014:

My God that's pitiful.

The only way that could be a positive is if the NFL was a 320 team league, at least that way those stats would represent being in the top 10.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

I don't get why some people don't understand this.  Yes a coach's scheme can have an effect to a certain extent, but in the end he has to have good players to make the plays work.

Mike Shanahan fell off the deep end after the talent level dropped with Elway retiring and others getting old.  Not to mention, he couldn't do anything with Washington's crap roster.  His coaching didn't help.

Bill Bilichick got fired from Cleveland, but is now considered a coaching genius after having Bledsoe in his prime and Brady for his whole career.  I guess Cleveland's players just didn't do what he told them.  Man, if only Bilichick had been there when they took Tim Couch.  Couch would have been an all time great.

Great players make great coaches.  If our players develop into great players, then it won't matter who the OC is.

Quote:The media stated that Greg Olson success with Quarterbacks, most recently Carr of the Raiders, is why he was brought in as the OC for Jacksonville.  Though the football outsiders list Carr only a couple guys above Blake Bortles (whom is at the bottom) for Quarterback rankings.  It is a good thing Marrone will be in charge of the Oline as the Raiders Oline was ranked poor, only slightly ahead of the Jaguars last year according to Football Outsiders whom ranked the raiders only above the Jaguars as the worst Team offense last year.  It begs the question why bring back the guy whom was the Oc under Mularkey when so many fans were upset with that season as the team's OC?  What offense scheme or type of playbook should we expect to see?

What does Olson say?  

---------------------------

"Certainly the win-loss record wasn't what we wanted it to be in Oakland," Olson said. "But I'll promise you that was important in his development. And when the franchise looks back, they'll say, 'That was a really important year for that quarterback,' so we're going to look at the same things with Blake."

----------------------

Did he basically tell fans to expect the same losses the Raiders had last season while he mentors Blake Bortles like Carr?  Oh boy we are in for another season like the last two....

----------

But the fact the Raiders and Jaguars ranked 31st and 32nd in the league in yards and points last year makes you wonder how much progress he represents over Jedd Fisch -NBC Sports stated

-------------------------

The best coach is a coach whom can adapt to his surroundings and pull the talent out of the players he was given to use as best as one can, and that is what Gus Bradley hopes Olson can do for his offense.

What can we expect from Greg Olson type of Offense this season in Jacksonville?

One might suggest a lot of roll out play action horizontal passing attacks. 

When you have Julius Thomas, M. Lewis, Clay Harbor, Ben Koyack, (possibly) Neal Sterling, among others you have to assume he plans on having two TEs on the field a majority of the time.

His young WR core is ideal for the short passing game, combined with fast running backs I would expect a heavy run first smash mouth offense.

What do you think his playbook will look like for the Jaguars?
Well, I certainly hope that he didn't mean that we should expect the kind of losses that was experienced with Carr in oakland. If we do, I suspect it will be a one season show for Olson here. There is substantially better talent here now than when Olson was here with Mularkey, so I think it's not unreasonable to expect substantially better results. 

As far as what kind of game plan to expect from him, I'm under the impression that he is a 'run first' type coach; cut from the 'three yards and a cloud of dust' pattern. I'm not so sure that Gus selected him because he was who Gus really wanted so much as it was a matter of what was available... like the 'stones sang... 'you can't always get what'cha want'... so you take what you perceive to be the best available, which I guess is how Gus saw Olson.

If... our offensive line is 'better' than they were last season (I don't see how they could get much worse, after all...) then a run game might open up the play option which (I think) plays to Bortles strength as a passer. At the very least, a heavier reliance on a run game should prevent Bortles from taking the beating he did last season.

On the down side, I'm not sure that we have the running back talent or the o-line to support a successful run first strategy. Our oc can call running plays all afternoon, but if the talent isn't on the field to implement that game plan, don't expect much scoring or many wins.

So who knows? Maybe the stars will align just right for Olson here and we'll have a great season; however, given his past track record both here and at oakland, I'm slightly dubious of his potential for success as an OC here. I hope Gus didn't make a mistake.  We'll see.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...