Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What type of Greg Olson Offense should we expect?

(This post was last modified: 05-19-2015, 09:12 PM by Flagler Jagsfan.)

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I'm sure Greg has a plan for our offense. However, if our O-Line doesn't do their job, we are going to get punched in the face. I know that last year was Blake's rookie season, but that kid was running for his life. To his credit, he is a lot tougher than the likes of QB's like Blaine Gabbert, and would attempt to find a receiver and take a hit while trying to find the receiver. If our O-Line can give Blake a few seconds more, we might have an offensive system that works. Coincidently, Olsen was Blake's QB coach. I don't know much blame you can put on Olson for his lack of development.

Let's hope that Yeldon is the back that they esteem him to be. And that our O-Line is as improved as they wish it to be. I'm guessing we will see a heavy dose of running, and play action rollouts. Julius Thomas will be a fantasy star, because he will be heavily utilized. I think there will other designed plays to get the ball in the hands of the other tight ends. And unless the O-Line improves drastically, I don't see us taking many shots down the field. I honestly don't think we have a receiver that can be a significant "stretch the field" type. Lots of shorter pass routes.

I really believe that Olson will take a few plays from the playbook at his Alma Mater, Adams College, where when he was Defensive Player of the Year for his fraternity, the Alpha Betas.

[Image: QvtKd4E.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I expect Marrone and Hackett to add their fingers prints to the offense too.

Quote:I don't get why some people don't understand this.  Yes a coach's scheme can have an effect to a certain extent, but in the end he has to have good players to make the plays work.

Mike Shanahan fell off the deep end after the talent level dropped with Elway retiring and others getting old.  Not to mention, he couldn't do anything with Washington's crap roster.  His coaching didn't help.

Bill Bilichick got fired from Cleveland, but is now considered a coaching genius after having Bledsoe in his prime and Brady for his whole career.  I guess Cleveland's players just didn't do what he told them.  Man, if only Bilichick had been there when they took Tim Couch.  Couch would have been an all time great.

Great players make great coaches.  If our players develop into great players, then it won't matter who the OC is.

I disagree Mike Shanahan always had a great running attack, and in Washington they had a great run until RG3 was injured but I think their bad owner had more to do with the demise than the HC did as facts support too many great coaches fail under him including HOF Joe Gibbs.

Billichick had HOF HC Bill Parcells show him the way in NewEngland, but yeah an elite QB is vital for great success in the NFL.

Quote:"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I'm sure Greg has a plan for our offense. However, if our O-Line doesn't do their job, we are going to get punched in the face. I know that last year was Blake's rookie season, but that kid was running for his life. To his credit, he is a lot tougher than the likes of QB's like Blaine Gabbert, and would attempt to find a receiver and take a hit while trying to find the receiver. If our O-Line can give Blake a few seconds more, we might have an offensive system that works. Coincidently, Olsen was Blake's QB coach. I don't know much blame you can put on Olson for his lack of development.

Let's hope that Yeldon is the back that they esteem him to be. And that our O-Line is as improved as they wish it to be. I'm guessing we will see a heavy dose of running, and play action rollouts. Julius Thomas will be a fantasy star, because he will be heavily utilized. I think there will other designed plays to get the ball in the hands of the other tight ends. And unless the O-Line improves drastically, I don't see us taking many shots down the field. I honestly don't think we have a receiver that can be a significant "stretch the field" type. Lots of shorter pass routes.

I really believe that Olson will take a few plays from the playbook at his Alma Mater, Adams College, where when he was Defensive Player of the Year for his fraternity, the Alpha Betas.

[Image: QvtKd4E.jpg]
I love Tyson's quote!  I wish we didnt have to wait so long to find out.... dead zone

Quote:They had a head coach for a reason. Its rare OC's and RB coaches are allowed to make decisions on who gets to start.

The buck stops with the head coach. But if you're the OC and the RB coach and you see this young guy who looks head and shoulders better than the old legs ahead of him, then you need to beat the drum until the HC listens. Maybe they did, we won't really know. But it's not like the HC had some major ties that prevented him from making a change.

This isn't some high-priced FA or draft pick that the coach was insisting on playing. If anything, its Olson who had the ties to MJD.

Hmm the Jaguars finished the year 21st ranked in rushing and the Raiders finished in last place 32nd, and the raiders tied for last in fumbles while running (10).  The Raiders had the lowest total yards, the lowest avg yards, and 2nd only to the Jaguars in lowest points.  It does make you wonder why Kelly Skipper was hired as the Jaguars new RB coach?

In fact the only time the Raiders had a good run game was under Hue Jackson as the OC in 2010, and McFadden had a great year despite being injured most of it.

To me one year out of so many failing years isnt a great resume provided its players not plays, but I am scratching my head at this one.

Quote:Hmm the Jaguars finished the year 21st ranked in rushing and the Raiders finished in last place 32nd, and the raiders tied for last in fumbles while running (10).  The Raiders had the lowest total yards, the lowest avg yards, and 2nd only to the Jaguars in lowest points.  It does make you wonder why Kelly Skipper was hired as the Jaguars new RB coach?

In fact the only time the Raiders had a good run game was under Hue Jackson as the OC in 2010, and McFadden had a great year despite being injured most of it.

To me one year out of so many failing years isnt a great resume provided its players not plays, but I am scratching my head at this one.

The raiders also had MJD and McFadden starting at RB last year, and didn't figure out that Murray was by far the best option they had at RB until late in the year.  And the OC, as I've heard it from Jack Shaffer and others on 1010xl, doesn't have final say over who starts.  That's the HC's call.

They also had a rookie QB with an almost historically low YPA so defenses were chocking up on the run game.  

Again, players not plays.  Not hard to understand.

I guess they figured Olson was the best option for developing Blake Bortles by designing an offense around his skill set.  It'll be interesting to watch as the Jaguars have never had this much talent at (receiving) TEs before combined with Marrones ability to coach up the Oline.

Quote:Hopefully something better than than what he tried at Oakland.These are stats for Oakland's offense in 2014:

32nd in yards/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in first downs/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in yards/play (decline from 2013)

32nd in rushing yards/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in rushing TD’s/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in passing yards/completion (decline from 2013)

31st in points/game (decline from 2013)

30th in TD’s/game (decline from 2013)

(source: www.teamrankings.com)

Guys, I posted this back in May. I wanted to be wrong about Olson. Was he the best OC available that was willing to come to the Jaguars franchise? I know you can't always blame everything on the OC, but we have all the pieces, right?

Quote:I guess they figured Olson was the best option for developing Blake Bortles by designing an offense around his skill set.  It'll be interesting to watch as the Jaguars have never had this much talent at (receiving) TEs before combined with Marrones ability to coach up the Oline.

You have to incorporate the TEs in the passing game to utilize that talent.  Even with Thomas out of the mix right now, Lewis played extremely well during the preseason, and should have warranted at least a couple of targets yesterday.  Harbor was targeted what?  Once?  We heard all off season about ball control and using the TEs.  We take the field and throw the ball 40 times, and only once do we target a TE.  Our RB was averaging 4 yards per carry, but we decided to abandon the run in the 2nd half down buy one score and facing a defense that was missing their best player.  Olson was far more impressive in the preseason with a vanilla play book.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Can't blame the dropped passes or misplaced throws on Olson though.

Quote:Can't blame the dropped passes or misplaced throws on Olson though.
No, you can't.  Nor can he be blamed for fumbles or other mistakes.  They can work to clean that up, but they can't go out there and make the plays.  At some point the talent needs to start to show up. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:Hopefully something better than than what he tried at Oakland.These are stats for Oakland's offense in 2014:

32nd in yards/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in first downs/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in yards/play (decline from 2013)

32nd in rushing yards/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in rushing TD’s/game (decline from 2013)

32nd in passing yards/completion (decline from 2013)

31st in points/game (decline from 2013)

30th in TD’s/game (decline from 2013)

(source: www.teamrankings.com)

Thanks for providing that insightful information.  Now I'm really depressed !!!

Quote:Can't blame the dropped passes or misplaced throws on Olson though.

You can certainly blame dropped passes and misplaced throws on a failure of the coaching staff to develop those players. Why are our players regressing? ARob wasn't dropping 60% of the passes last season.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:You can certainly blame dropped passes and misplaced throws on a failure of the coaching staff to develop those players. Why are our players regressing? ARob wasn't dropping 60% of the passes last season.

Catching the ball is something guys learn in high school.  If they have huge issues catching, at some point you have to look at the player and not the coaching staff.  They would have to be the worst coaches ever if they are causing them to regress and drop balls.

Quote:No, you can't.  Nor can he be blamed for fumbles or other mistakes.  They can work to clean that up, but they can't go out there and make the plays.  At some point the talent needs to start to show up. 

Agreed.

We all witnessed a much improved offensive play calling trend in the preseason.  It was more vertical, incorporated the TEs, and leveraged a strong rotation in the running game.  I honestly don't know what happened yesterday, but someone decided they needed to use Jed Fisch's playbook for the game because that wasn't the offense Olson was crafting in the preseason.  Hopefully there was a reason for the lousy play calling and we'll see things improve this week against Miami. 

Crappy.

Jaguars Braves Hawks Gators

Quote:Catching the ball is something guys learn in high school.  If they have huge issues catching, at some point you have to look at the player and not the coaching staff.  They would have to be the worst coaches ever
if they are causing them to regress and drop balls.

Well there's your answer.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Well there's your answer.
Yes, because Jerry Sullivan has a track record of being a lousy coach. 

He'd literally have to be drunk and telling them to close their eyes or try to use the force to track the ball for them to regress that badly.  That just doesn't happen at a NFL-level.