Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell drafting philosophy

I haven't been around here much over the past couple months, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed somewhere.  I'm really happy with the direction Caldwell has taken this team, and find it interesting that he goes for needs at the top, then fills in with BAP.  It's a logical approach.

One thought i had that i wanted to discuss with you all, when Caldwell first took over, he was on a mission, and was vocal about, adding speed to the team. 

Well when you look at this years draft, particularly at the skill positions, it seems he's backed off the philosophy a bit.  Yeldon, Greene, and Sterling in particular are my examples.  When Yeldon was our round 2 pick, this is the first thought I had, and the reason for my suprise.  I guess he feels he's added the speed where it was needed, and now is looking more for complete players?  Or i'm just looking to far into it.  Not sure, but thought it worthy of discussion, especially with some of the other topics that have been beat to death.

Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This year he added talent, not just speed.

I think Caldwells drafting philosophy is essentially this:

Consider how much other teams value a player

If you see a guy who you think will be good, but believe you can get him in the third round, you don't take him in the second round just because he's the best guy on your board.  If he's gone before your next pick, then so be it.  If he's still there, then it's your gain.  This doesn't mean you don't trust your board.  It just means that you consider how other teams value the player as well.  By letting guys fall you get two guys you value highly instead of just one.  Better to take Player B in round 2, then Player A in round 3 than Player A in round 2, and then Player C in round 3.  (this is what leads to draft steals)  Better to get a 3rd round talent in the 5th round, than a 5th round talent that you've evaluated as a 3rd round talent in the 3rd that others have evaluated as a 5th.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 05:16 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:I think Caldwells drafting philosophy is essentially this:

If you see a guy who you think will be good, but believe you can get him in the third round, you don't take him in the second round just because he's the best guy on your board.  If he's gone before your next pick, then so be it.  If he's still there, then it's your gain.  This doesn't mean you don't trust your board.  It just means that you consider how other teams value the player as well.  By letting guys fall you get two guys you value highly instead of just one.  Better to take Player B in round 2, then Player A in round 3 than Player A in round 2, and then Player C in round 3.  (this is what leads to draft steals)  Better to get a 3rd round talent in the 5th round, than a 5th round talent that you've evaluated as a 3rd round talent in the 3rd that others have evaluated as a 5th.
Interesting, and seems likely in what Caldwell has been able to accomplish the past 2 drafts.

I just remember it was all speed, speed, speed.  Now you rarely hear that theme.  Just wondering out loud.

To me he drafts to fill a scheme. They are building the roster with specific players to play specific roles. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but I'm not crazy about drafting to fit a scheme. For example we're hell bent on this zone blocking scheme, so we've focused on linemen that can play that role and they specifically said they like Yeldon and how they think he will fit in the ZBS. To me that says they're not going to even consider RB's not suited for the ZBS after all we've spent all this time building a ZB line why would we draft a RB not fit for the ZB. 

In theory I like the idea of drafting talent and then building a scheme around the talent you've acquired but we've tried that approach and it didn't work.

This is also a needs drafting team which is ok, you just have to make sure we hit on the picks because we're drafting them at a position of need.

So far so good, but there's little room for error when you're drafting for need and limiting the pool of players to fit a specific scheme.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

He did add speed. Just because none of them run a 4.2 doesn't mean they aren't fast.

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 05:37 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:To me he drafts to fill a scheme. They are building the roster with specific players to play specific roles. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't but I'm not crazy about drafting to fit a scheme. For example we're hell bent on this zone blocking scheme, so we've focused on linemen that can play that role and they specifically said they like Yeldon and how they think he will fit in the ZBS. To me that says they're not going to even consider RB's not suited for the ZBS after all we've spent all this time building a ZB line why would we draft a RB not fit for the ZB.

In theory I like the idea of drafting talent and then building a scheme around the talent you've acquired but we've tried that approach and it didn't work.

This is also a needs drafting team which is ok, you just have to make sure we hit on the picks because we're drafting them at a position of need.

So far so good, but there's little room for error when you're drafting for need and limiting the pool of players to fit a specific scheme.
Every team drafts for their scheme. You don't draft a 2 down thumpping 3-4 MLB and you play a zone heavy cover 2 scheme do you? They have shown to be flexible as well when in comes to blocking schemes. They incorporate both power blocking and zone techniques similar to other teams around the league. The James Sample pick is the most recent example of adapting to different schemes. Since we haven't been able to get our hands on an Earl Thomas type FS we're going to incorporate hybrid safety looks this year instead.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Yeldon may not be the fastest back in the draft but he has great vision and finds the hole even when the play doesn't go as planned, add to that the ability to make the first defender miss his tackle and you have a nice gain on the play. He plays pretty fast if you watch his highlights and can break tackles and drag defenders  with his power and just may turn out to be the best back taken in the draft if the Oline plays at an NFL level. Speed is just one piece of the puzzle and Yeldon has all the pieces you look for in a running back. 

I'm not saying I have a problem with his picks, I'm just saying it's a different approach that requires a lesser degree of error then drafting BAP.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 05:53 PM by Jags32250.)

Quote:He did add speed. Just because none of them run a 4.2 doesn't mean they aren't fast.
The 3 that i mentioned are not speedsters for their position.  I'm just pointing out a change i've noticed in Caldwell.  When he first took over, he was all about making the team faster.  I haven't heard that theme in some time now.  Maybe he considers that box checked.

Team Need

Scheme Fit

Need meets value

Players Love of football

Speed/ physical traits 

Not much injury history

Consistency 

JUICE guys

Bring players in to challenge other players

Twitter Follow: @jSp3nce

Quote:The 3 that i mentioned are not speedsters for their position.  I'm just pointing out a change i've noticed in Caldwell.  When he first took over, he was all about making the team faster.  I haven't heard that theme in some time now.  Maybe he considers that box checked.
When he says speed, I think he refers to playing fast as a team, not individually.

Quote:I haven't been around here much over the past couple months, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed somewhere.  I'm really happy with the direction Caldwell has taken this team, and find it interesting that he goes for needs at the top, then fills in with BAP.  It's a logical approach.

One thought i had that i wanted to discuss with you all, when Caldwell first took over, he was on a mission, and was vocal about, adding speed to the team. 

Well when you look at this years draft, particularly at the skill positions, it seems he's backed off the philosophy a bit.  Yeldon, Greene, and Sterling in particular are my examples.  When Yeldon was our round 2 pick, this is the first thought I had, and the reason for my suprise.  I guess he feels he's added the speed where it was needed, and now is looking more for complete players?  Or i'm just looking to far into it.  Not sure, but thought it worthy of discussion, especially with some of the other topics that have been beat to death.

Thoughts?
the raiders drafted speed over the years and we saw how that worked out for them

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

Quote:He did add speed. Just because none of them run a 4.2 doesn't mean they aren't fast.

Cory Grant runs sub 4.3.

Quote:I think Caldwells drafting philosophy is essentially this:

I really hope this is the case. In my opinion, it's not enough to simply consider the value available; you need to also consider the market in which the talent is available. Otherwise, you'll get hosed by overpaying for things that you "need".

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Cory Grant runs sub 4.3.

Yeah, but he wasn't drafted now was he?

[Insert wildly sarcastic Michael Scott "Boom. Roasted" meme here]

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Every team does that. Its extremely rare when the first two round picks of a team dont match one of their biggest needs

(This post was last modified: 05-13-2015, 12:13 PM by Solid Snake.)

Quote:I haven't been around here much over the past couple months, so forgive me if this topic has been discussed somewhere. I'm really happy with the direction Caldwell has taken this team, and find it interesting that he goes for needs at the top, then fills in with BAP. It's a logical approach.

Well when you look at this years draft, particularly at the skill positions, it seems he's backed off the philosophy a bit. Yeldon, Greene, and Sterling in particular are my examples. When Yeldon was our round 2 pick, this is the first thought I had, and the reason for my suprise. I guess he feels he's added the speed where it was needed, and now is looking more for complete players? Or i'm just looking to far into it. Not sure, but thought it worthy of discussion, especially with some of the other topics that have been beat to death.

Thoughts?

It's not really that difficult to understand he drafts based on a combination of need and value which is how most GMs draft. Sometimes he will draft players that are need and also consensus BAP. He loves the big schools and shows a preference to the SEC. That's Dave in a nutshell.

I think Caldwell's philosophy is to not pigeon-hole himself into a specific draft strategy. He adapts according to the team's situation.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I think Caldwell's philosophy is to not pigeon-hole himself into a specific draft strategy. He adapts according to the team's situation.
Well, that can't be.  He has to be pigeon holed. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]