Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell drafting philosophy

Quote:It's not really that difficult to understand he drafts based on a combination of need and value which is how most GMs draft. Sometimes he will draft players that are need and also consensus BAP. He loves the big schools and shows a preference to the SEC. That's Dave in a nutshell.
I know.

It seems you missed my point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I think Caldwells drafting philosophy is essentially this:

Consider how much other teams value a player

If you see a guy who you think will be good, but believe you can get him in the third round, you don't take him in the second round just because he's the best guy on your board.  If he's gone before your next pick, then so be it.  If he's still there, then it's your gain.  This doesn't mean you don't trust your board.  It just means that you consider how other teams value the player as well.  By letting guys fall you get two guys you value highly instead of just one.  Better to take Player B in round 2, then Player A in round 3 than Player A in round 2, and then Player C in round 3.  (this is what leads to draft steals)  Better to get a 3rd round talent in the 5th round, than a 5th round talent that you've evaluated as a 3rd round talent in the 3rd that others have evaluated as a 5th.
Somewhere, Gene Smith's mind has just been blown!

He may not have emphasized speed over other factors this year, but I'm sure he still considers it important.

He came in claiming to be a needs drafter and his very first pick was the BAP at one of the few positions the Jags had a good starter. My impression is that he highly values deception. I approve of that.

So far he seems to have hit on a lot of picks. The ability to pick successful players is far more important than philosophy.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:He may not have emphasized speed over other factors this year, but I'm sure he still considers it important.

He came in claiming to be a needs drafter and his very first pick was the BAP at one of the few positions the Jags had a good starter. My impression is that he highly values deception. I approve of that.

So far he seems to have hit on a lot of picks. The ability to pick successful players is far more important than philosophy.
Agreed.  Unfortunately, that's not going to quell the curiosity of the usual suspects who bring this up every so often.  They need to put a label on Caldwell for some odd reason. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I think Caldwells drafting philosophy is essentially this:

Consider how much other teams value a player

If you see a guy who you think will be good, but believe you can get him in the third round, you don't take him in the second round just because he's the best guy on your board.  If he's gone before your next pick, then so be it.  If he's still there, then it's your gain.  This doesn't mean you don't trust your board.  It just means that you consider how other teams value the player as well.  By letting guys fall you get two guys you value highly instead of just one.  Better to take Player B in round 2, then Player A in round 3 than Player A in round 2, and then Player C in round 3.  (this is what leads to draft steals)  Better to get a 3rd round talent in the 5th round, than a 5th round talent that you've evaluated as a 3rd round talent in the 3rd that others have evaluated as a 5th.

I think he takes all the input from the scouts, coaches, etc and makes a board like most GMs in the NFL in the war room.  He considers what positions the team needs, how badly they need those positions in order to acheive their goals and drafts accordingly. 

If player A is a 1st round talent but you already have a great kicker and that position isnt really a need on the team you skip him until maybe a 6th or 7th round when you realize he's too good (round 1 or 2 talent) to not draft in the 7th for example leading to a steal.

The whole steal thing is subject to your impression and views on that player based on your own board.  If you watched a guy play great in college and you hoped for him to be drafted by the Jaguars but thought he was so good that he wouldnt last past round 3 and then to your suprise you see him in the 5th round being drafted by GM Dave Caldwell you get excited and report wow what a great steal, but others might have always saw the guy as an undrafted rookie free agent they would consider signing for example.

Basically BAP or best available player is a joke because if you have a need for that player and you rated him rather high you can justify why he was the BAP (based on your boards) since nobody actually gets to the see your board (As a GM) during the draft.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!