Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags 2015 draft transparency: Accident or by design?

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 10:05 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

I had a thought on our level of transparency this year shortly after Yeldon was picked in the 2nd round.  My thought was whether the information coming out was being leaked or whether Caldwell was planting it on purpose or perhaps it was just lucky guesses by a few talking heads.  Fowler had long been thought to be the pick at 3 and reports came out days before the draft that Dave and Gus were torn on Fowler and Cooper.  Fowler had already said weeks earlier that he'd be stunned if the Jaguars didn't draft him.  Then, hours before round two began, I heard on Sirius NFL radio that there was "a lot of chatter about the Jags taking Yeldon at 36."  I can't give a better source than that other than to tell you it was Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller on the air leading up to round 2 and one of them made the comment about the "chatter" they were hearing.

This could easily be explained by certain media personalities getting lucky by throwing so much at the wall that something is going to have to stick, but this flies in the face of past drafts where there wasn't so much as a peep coming out of our draft room leading up to those drafts.  Even when we took Joeckel at 2, I don't remember anything being reported that the Jags would definitively take whichever Tackle was left on the board after Kansas City picked though perhaps I just missed it.

Anyway, I have to wonder if Caldwell was telegraphing his 1st and 2nd round picks this year on purpose because maybe he surmised there was little risk of anyone taking who he wanted ahead of him because of where we were picking and who we were behind.  So why not let some accurate info come out of your draft room every once in a while when there is little chance it could hurt you?  Was Caldwell playing poker and strategically tipping his hand this year?  Was the information actually leaked by accident? (which would be troublesome)  Or was this merely all a lucky coincidence for whoever reported these pre-draft stories?

This is a speculation thread, there's no right or wrong response.  I'd just like to see if anyone else had similar thoughts and what you might think about this.  

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 08:04 PM by D0hv.)

Well Fowler Jr was the obvious choice. It doesn't take a genius to guess that's who we were picking. As for TJ Yeldon the scouts and GM's all considered him the 3rd best RB behind Gurley and Gordon. It's the media who under estimated Yeldon. I mean there's guys like LT, one of the greatest backs of all time and guys like Clinton Portis who was a great RB himself saying Yeldon will be the better back of the three. So basically they where making the obvious obvious basically.
-Pre-Med student

-Future Physician, hoping to specialize in Emergency Medicine or Hematology

-Jags fan since May 24, 1996

I think what this means, more than anything, is that Dave is a pure needs drafter in the 1st 2 rounds. He will pick the best player at a positon of need. I think some writers just got lucky there.

Next year, for instance, I see them picking a corner high again and possibly another LT, depending on what Joeckel does.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

One thing I pondered was how much I was hearing about Gus clamoring for a RB after the first pick. DRob was def a Caldwell guy. Obvious Toby is not the answer, but I was surprised by the sense of urgency considering how well Drob performed when healthy. I'm not sure he even sure he makes the team now with Pierce in the mix.

They tried to trade back into round 1, so Yeldon was a backup plan.

Was anyone else listening to Sirius NFL in the hours leading up to rounds 2 & 3?  Did anyone else hear about this "chatter" regarding Jags and Yeldon prior to us taking him from any other source?

I've just gotten so used to being surprised by our early picks each year that when the two guys I hear pretty firmly that we're taking in rounds 1 & 2 actually are taken it's even more surprising than the surprise pick I was expecting if that makes sense.

Quote:I think what this means, more than anything, is that Dave is a pure needs drafter in the 1st 2 rounds. He will pick the best player at a positon of need. I think some writers just got lucky there.

Next year, for instance, I see them picking a corner high again and possibly another LT, depending on what Joeckel does.

Hargreaves or Ramsey are my early favorites.

Both guys are very naturally talented playmakers.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

There is a tidbit in the most recent Jaguars Live taping that relates to this, but really isn't worth it's own thread. At around the 25:30 mark, Caldwell talks about his plan for building the Roster and he makes mention of a large Free Agency group in the future of which he intends to take advantage.

Does anyone think that he is referring to this past Free Agency class, or the one coming up in the 2016 offseason? Is this coming class even bigger than the one we just had?!

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:There is a tidbit in the most recent Jaguars Live taping that relates to this, but really isn't worth it's own thread. At around the 25:30 mark, Caldwell talks about his plan for building the Roster and he makes mention of a large Free Agency group in the future of which he intends to take advantage.

Does anyone think that he is referring to this past Free Agency class, or the one coming up in the 2016 offseason? Is this coming class even bigger than the one we just had?!

That's what I took from it.  Another big FA haul  in 2016. 

Quote:They tried to trade back into round 1, so Yeldon was a backup plan.
Maybe you're saying the same thing I'm about to, but...Dave made it sound like he thought about doing it if Gurley/Gordon fell far enough, but sounds like they never actually tried since they got drafted so high.

I'm glad it worked out the way it did because the value we got later on was absolutely ridiculous.

Quote:There is a tidbit in the most recent <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/videos/Jaguarscom-LIVE-Pete-Prisco--Dave-Caldwell/24c8f19a-7e3c-4d4d-844c-026c66cd5a61'>Jaguars Live taping</a> that relates to this, but really isn't worth it's own thread. At around the 25:30 mark, Caldwell talks about his plan for building the Roster and he makes mention of a large Free Agency group in the future of which he intends to take advantage.

He is referring to the 2016 offseason. I'm not sure if its as big as last year but they probably plan on spending money again to get over the 89% mark.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:He is referring to the 2016 offseason. I'm not sure if its as big as last year but they probably plan on spending money again to get over the 89% mark.

Yeah, I think you're right. In Oehser's write up about the interview he quotes Caldwell as saying:

<p style="margin-left:40px;">"...'The first two years we were going to try to stack a couple of good draft classes together, and stack a couple of good decisions in the draft,' he said. 'Then, in Year Three you fill with some bigger-market free agents and next year still have the ability to add another big, big free-agent class in the offseason...'
"

<p style="margin-left:40px;"> 

Any ideas on who will be available that he may be looking at?

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015, 12:12 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:Yeah, I think you're right. In Oehser's <a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.jaguars.com/news/article-JaguarsNews/Jaguarscom-LIVE-Five-takeaways-GM-Dave-Caldwell/a36d79ff-bd8d-46a2-8322-f587f31c34e1'>write up about the interview</a> he quotes Caldwell as saying:

<p class="bbc_indent" style="margin-left:40px;">"...'The first two years we were going to try to stack a couple of good draft classes together, and stack a couple of good decisions in the draft,' he said. 'Then, in Year Three you fill with some bigger-market free agents and next year still have the ability to add another big, big free-agent class in the offseason...'"
Any ideas on who will be available that he may be looking at?
Here's the list:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/'>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/</a>

Lots of big names currently but obviously that will change once franchise tags are given and extensions are made prior to FA. Depending on how Robinson and Lee continue to develop this year I could see us going after one of the "elite" WRs.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Easy.. Those pundits knew The Jags needed an RB and Gordon/Gurley were already gone.. They were still flingin' poo, just at a much bigger target..   

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

No.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

(This post was last modified: 05-07-2015, 12:15 PM by Deacon.)

Quote:Here's the list:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/'>http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2016/</a>

Lots of big names currently but obviously that will change once franchise tags are given and extensions are made prior to FA. Depending on how Robinson and Lee continue to develop this year I could see us going after one of the "elite" WRs.

I was just looking through that, but had it sorted via age. Kinda wondering who they may be looking at there.

Dear God, Charles Woodson is 38. I am old.

Quote:I was just looking through that, but had it sorted via age. Kinda wondering who they may be looking at there.

Dez Bryant, Demaryius Thomas, maybe Trent Williams if Joeckel doesn't progress. Tashaun Gipson could be a possibility.

I think that in order to be a successful bluffer, every once in a while you have to actually carry out what you've "leaked" you're going to do.

If Dareus makes it out of Buffalo, or Miller... those would be awesome grabs...

Aldon Smith, Fairley, Weatherspoon, Irvin, Wagner, Levy, Kendricks....

I'm mostly looking at interior Dline and LBers..

though there are some veteran LTs if Joekel struggles this season. (Solder)

there are a few WR options... but I'm not sure we'll need em, unless some team lets a Dez Bryant type WR go... then you have to try for em I imagine.

Scobee is set to be a FA... we better lock him up. haha

I go to draftcountdown.com where guys are already doing 2016 mocks and I realized it's just so early to see what our needs are.  Caldwell addressed every need we have and now we're just waiting to see how the pieces fall.  OT, LB, FS, DB, may be legit needs next year, but they may not too.  I have no clue.