Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Caldwell on 1010xl now

Any GM can find and hit on players in rounds 1-3.. But the man has consistantly found reliable starters and backups in rounds 4-7.. Has anyone sat back and realized how awesome that really is??
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Any GM can find and hit on players in rounds 1-3.. But the man has consistantly found reliable starters and backups in rounds 4-7.. Has anyone sat back and realized how awesome that really is??

Demetrius McCray in the 7th...

Awesomeness.
Shock the world

Smith is a beast.
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:Any GM can find and hit on players in rounds 1-3..

Uh, excuse me...... Gene Smith?

Quote:Uh, excuse me...... Gene Smith?

That's why I said "can".. Gene "could have", but he was in self destruct mode..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2015, 12:27 PM by Teal Time Radio.)

Not that Smith lol
Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:DD would be okay in today's NFL.  Players can play even when things change.  I think we gloss over his athletics.  He would have to dial back the hits some but he'd make it.
Would DD really have to change?  Clothesline tackles were illegal back then too. Smile

Clothesline tackles were not the problem,

DD carting off the stray appendage removed from his victim, to give to

Big John to munch on the sideline might be frowned upon.

HeadSlap

When they have no time,  they think about it!

When they go down hard, they think about it!

Just watch Peyton, Andrew, Caep even Mr. Bundchen.

Luke joeckel is a tough one for me hope he works out this year wasn't really a scheme fit with zone blocking. Marrone should help a lot
Twitter Follow: @jSp3nce

Quote:Any GM can find and hit on players in rounds 1-3.. But the man has consistantly found reliable starters and backups in rounds 4-7.. Has anyone sat back and realized how awesome that really is??
as we build and stockpile talent I don't expect that to last but great drafting nnonetheless.

Hitting on LT, QB, and DE would be huge for Caldwell's attempt at turning this team into a winner. The jury is out on all 3 guys we've selected, but the potential for greatness is alive and well in Jacksonville at the moment regardless.

Actually Shack Harris takes the cake for worst first round picks, he was much worse than Gene.  Point is that kudos should be given for good draft picks throughout the rounds.

But one thing I like about Caldwell is that he admits he is drafting for both need and value.  Sometimes need, sometimes value.  In general he is in fact honest, while still protecting the interests of the team.

Quote:Actually Shack Harris takes the cake for worst first round picks, he was much worse than Gene. Point is that kudos should be given for good draft picks throughout the rounds.

But one thing I like about Caldwell is that he admits he is drafting for both need and value. Sometimes need, sometimes value. In general he is in fact honest, while still protecting the interests of the team.

I don't know. Shack got Lewis (who did make 1 pro bowl) and Nelson who turned out to be a top 6 safety right now. Gene netted a back up DT in th first round and that it. I mean they both were pretty bad but at least Shacks picks contributed to winning teams.

Quote:I don't know. Shack got Lewis (who did make 1 pro bowl) and Nelson who turned out to be a top 6 safety right now. Gene netted a back up DT in th first round and that it. I mean they both were pretty bad but at least Shacks picks contributed to winning teams.

Nelson has gotten better in Cinci, but he's not near a top six safety in the NFL. It's pretty close between Harris and Smith in my opinion. Gene also drafted Monroe who is a solid starting LT and Blackmon has(d) the talent, he just couldn't stay on the field. Harris was here for two more years, but really only Nelson and Lewis stuck around as starters in the NFL. Harvey, Williams, and Jones were busts and Leftwich ended up being a solid backup for Pittsburgh after his tenure here.

Guys really?  Nelson was awful here.  Not just taking Harvey, but trading significant picks to do it?  Leftwich as a backup elsewhere is really better than Gabbert as a backup elsewhere?  And face it, Lewis is really just ok, sort of like Alualu.  Matt Jones?  Reggie Williams instead of Big Ben?  Obviously Gene was bad, but Shack was far worse when it came to the first round.  What helped Harris was that he had some hits in the second and third rounds, and he had a better starting position what with Stroud and Henderson (and a QB, Garrard) being drafted right before he arrived.

My point is that I'm not sure we fully appreciate just how much of a hole Caldwell has had to dig out of in following up well over a decade of sadness.

Quote:Demetrius McCray in the 7th...

Awesomeness.
Josh Evans in the 6th.

I know he gets a lot of hate around here, but the guy has played a lot of football for us in 2 years and has been serviceable, at the very least. He was a clear upgrade over the Winston Guy experiment.

Obviously I'm not saying Evans is the answer or anything like that, but people have to remember he was a 6th round draft pick. Despite the hate he gets here, he was a very solid grab for Caldwell and co.

Evans is very close in efficacy as Cyprien.

They are both below average players. I can live with that from Evans, who was a 6th rounder. I can't with Cyp.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:Evans is very close in efficacy as Cyprien.

They are both below average players. I can live with that from Evans, who was a 6th rounder. I can't with Cyp.

Truth

Quote:Evans is very close in efficacy as Cyprien.

Agreed 100% that Cyp must and has to step his game way up this year. Gus and Caldwell all but said it themselves. It's year 3 for that first class. It's time for the training wheels to come off and lets go.

Quote:Agreed 100% that Cyp must and has to step his game way up this year. Gus and Caldwell all but said it themselves. It's year 3 for that first class. It's time for the training wheels to come off and lets go.

If Cyprien and Joeckel aren't one of our best players this year, then year 4 will come with change. Those two were supposed to be building blocks.

At this point, I think we are just trying to salvage them and hope they become decent starters on a successful team, as opposed to the leaders of an emerging young team they were supposed to be.

To me, Caldwell has done an excellent job, but his very first 3 picks leave a lot to be desired. Let's hope they make a miraculous transformation.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>