Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags are one of 9 Teams on the Rise-NFL.com, A.Schein

Quote: 

4) Jacksonville Jaguars (2014 record: 3-13)
<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">I think Jacksonville drafted a whopping <i>five</i> players who can contribute right away. Dante Fowler Jr. was the best pure edge rusher in the draft. T.J. Yeldon can start at running back, while A.J. Cann should start in the interior of the O-line. Defensive back James Sample is a perfect fit in Gus Bradley's defense. Receiver Rashad Greene can play and will help Blake Bortles in the passing attack.

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">It's a big year for Bradley and Dave Caldwell. The coach and general manager both need to show progress. I believe in the combo and believe the Jags, who enjoyed a strong free agency period, will surprise some folks with the arrow pointing up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-nfl-draft

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Oh God...they are paying attention to us! That usually is the kiss of death around here!!!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Just how long have these Jags been on the rise and how high will they rise?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Just how long have these Jags been on the rise and how high will they rise?
Rising from total irrelevance to the fringes of obscurity!!   Go Jags!! 

Gene dug a deep hole. He buried the shovel too.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think we will take off next season but lets not put too much pressure on this rookie class just yet.

True Gene dug a deep hole, but Dave had to dig even deeper for the full rebuild.  It's easy now to see that the philosophy of keeping Pot Roast and Daryl Smith type players would only have slowed down this rebuild.  A few more wins, sure.  That means lower drafting position, maybe no Bortles, no Fowler, Jr, etc.  It also means holding back the development of young players at those positions held by the veterans. 

So then Dave gets 4 years into the build and instead of young players hitting their prime you have old guys retiring with nobody ready to step in.  You also have lesser talent due to lower draft position.  Maybe it takes a year or 2 longer to reach the playoffs by keeping popular veterans during the rebuild.  Maybe in that scenario the owner won't wait 5 years and cans Dave after 4 years.

I'm glad (now) that Dave bit the bullet, essentially threw away 2 seasons, and went for the full foundation-to-shingles rebuild.  It's been a rough 2 years, but they got to fill the roster top to bottom with Gus and Dave type players.  So here we are starting year 3 with a very solid foundation and a house built the right way.  People are taking notice.  Success is not just hoped for, but expected.  The team, having gone through the growing pains together, will be better able to handle success when it comes. 

I think they can play .500 ball in 2015, with a couple of signature wins.  I see playoffs in year 4 and new contracts for Dave & Gus.  Dave has drafted better each year, and Gus is still smiling even after 2 years where he basically had no chance.  I'd hate to see some other regime piggyback on the foundation these guys have built here.